2011.06.06 TRIAL Day Eleven (Afternoon Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are defense attorneys usually this rude to expert witnesses? I am asking a serious question.

I don't think its just DAs who are rude to expert witnesses -- it seems to me that whenever there is an expert who is a vital witness to one side or the other, the "opposite" attorney (the one whose case is being hurt by the expert) usually treats that expert like what they are saying is just rubbish. They are trying to influence the jury to believing that if the *attorney* doesn't respect the expert, then neither should the jury.

JMHO

Cindy B in ATL

To me, all JB's questions are giving Vass' work more credibility rather than taking it away. I mean, if he stands to make millions as JB seems to be implying, it must be pretty good technology.

Oh wow. Baez forgot to ask Dr. Vass about his MySpace account....

Are defense attorneys usually this rude to expert witnesses? I am asking a serious question.

Typically, the prosecuting attorney would object heavily to this sort of tone. I suspect that, in this case, they are leaving Baez alone because he is so effectively winning the prosecution's case for them.

Wouldn't the fact that he invented this Labrador device make him an expert?! :maddening:

The Dr. is so amazing and accomplished,why would he have to pretend he's a biochemist?
If he appeared sleazy,in the least,that type of trick might have worked,but Dr. Vass has been very forthcoming .

My degree is in marketing. I work in logistics. I thererfore consider myself a logistician, not a marketing person. Same for Dr. Vass' degrees and titles, orrect? He might not have a degree in chemistry but if he works as a chemist then that title is correct, correct? :waitasec:

Baez is trying to make it sound like Dr. Vass is in this as a 'Get Rich Quick' scheme, as if he is in it for the money. No one on this jury will believe that, even a little bit.

Anyone who has spent the morning listening to Dr. Vass' testimony will recognize that this science is his life passion.

My husband was a member of the 4 man team that developed the touch screen for ELO. The company owns the patent, my husband gets nothing. I imagine it is similar for Dr. Vass.

If someone from Vass's lab had referred to him as a "chemist", presumably on a press release or webpage, Baez would reference that instance specifically, right? Show the court a copy of whatever to try discredit him?

That was all so off the wall I half expected him to ask him if he had a WS account.

I think Baez could push the royalties angle without seeming so rude. He should have just left out the social network stuff. JB just doesn't seem to know when to leave something alone or back off.

JB is singularly tone deaf as to what may antagonize the jurors. Or maybe he just does't care.

Any idiot can plainly see how passionate Dr.Vass is when it comes to his work. If JB is trying to imply Dr. Vass created this machine, and used this machine on this evidence, in order to generate income, JB is falling flat on his face.

Yet again.....

JB...give it up...

In a way...I feel a bit sorry for him...I think he thought this was going to be a cake walk...ala Perry Mason...and other crime books/novels...get the sympathy of the jury for his client because she has been mistreated...

and now...it looks like he should have been working a mite harder...he is way over his head...

I am wondering if we are going to be able to make it through the rest of the Case in Chief.

JB is grasping at straws...and almost harassing the witness

Dr. Vass has not only clearly demonstrated his PASSION for this science....but his lack of conflict by volunteering his time.

Dr. Vass is doing an excellent job of answering Baez's questions. Baez trying to impeach his testimony based on financial interest. Dr. Vass is saying he has no control over whether the lab decides to pursue patents or decides to sell the inventions.

Witness just slapped JB...nope I did it on my own time! Ha ha ha ha!

Wow..All I can say is Thank God for people like Dr. Vass...Not only is he a brilliant scientist, He is also philanthropic in using his (valuable time) expertise in finding justice for "Sweet Caylee"..Geesh..I think in my declining years, I have fallen inlove again...<swoon>>

I just self-moderated and deleted my own comment...very seldom do I show this kind of restraint! I hope you are suitably impressed.
:innocent:

Any idiot can plainly see how passionate Dr.Vass is when it comes to his work. If JB is trying to imply Dr. Vass created this machine, and used this machine on this evidence, in order to generate income, JB is falling flat on his face.

Agreed. He's so excited about his work and constantly refers to things being "cool"...I don't think money is the motivating factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett