2011.06.06 TRIAL Day Eleven (Morning Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.V: Ports on the end of pipes where body was buried. Collected air that was coming out. Three carbon filters on the port removing the odour but capturing the compounds in the air.
Air pump was used to draw the air up and through the trap. The tube is removed from the port and then sealed and brought back to lab.

CM must be SO livid that Dr. Vass is addressing the jury, lol!

LOL. It's bloody cold- Dr. Vass

He said "Bloody cold" on the stand!
blush.gif

Wow, this is SO fascinating as so much of what he's talking about relates to the breakdown of waste in aquariums...what I deal with. The carbon, aerobic/anaerobic breakdown of wastes...same basic principals! He makes this so easy to understand. I like this guy!

Poor JA, he needs some tea with lots of honey and lemon for that tickle in his throat. If Baez jumps on Vass during cross the jury will cringe, I'll bet they are really enjoy this learning experience and think Dr Vass is a stellar witness.

During Frye hearings Vass said he "jumped back 2 feet" cause of the smell of #CaseyAnthony 's car. Will jury hear this? -fell

by cfnews13casey via twitter at 6:55 AM

#caseyanthony defense will also point out an unsuccessful search for remains by Vass in California at a ranch used by Charles Manson. -Longo

by cfnews13casey via twitter at 6:55 AM

Uh, were they trying to find his defense lawyer? One of them disappeared out there...

#CaseyAnthony I gotta say, this witness is likeable because he's so into what he does and smiles, laughs despite talking about dead bodies
by amandaoberwesh via twitter at 10:01 AM

I saw that too- they let it pass. The attorney also said that this case is NOT one you should use as a learning experience.

I'm sure the "reporter" was so thrilled to get an interview with the great <modsnip> that they didn't bother to ask "how many" and "which ones" ?

:loser:

JA: "What method did you come to to explore to find clandestine graves?"
Dr. Vass: "Because the most successful method at that time was cadaver locating dogs, we looked at odor evolution from decompositional events. And in order to study that we utilized the anthropological research facility, the body farm, and we actually buried a number of individuals. Now, these graves were kind of special because we put in a piping system underneath the bodies, above the bodies and at the surface of the soil. And these bodies were buried at various depths down to 3 1/2 feet, I think was the deepest burial we had and them there was some shallow ones and we began monitoring which chemicals are being produced during a burial situation and these chemicals are produced either at the body that was the pipe underneath the body, or they could have produced then began migrating upward through the soil columns. The soil column is the amount of soil over the body in a burial situation, those would then be recorded in the piping system above the body. And then, we looked at finally, which compounds produced at the body made it all the way up through the soil column and escaped at the surface. Now the importance of that is because those are the chemicals that a cadaver locating dog would have been able to smell and also it allowed for the initial development or potential development of instrumentation that detect those particular compounds."

Direct examination of Dr. Arpod Voss by JA - continued.

Research continued after 2004 paper. In addition to studying buried bodies, they looked at bodies on the surface, skelatonized bodies and then using a different type of technology.

10 surface individuals - some lying on surface, some loosely covered with tarps, some in body bags. Samples were obtained from the buried bodies using a carbon filter attached to the tubing. The same procedure was used for the surface individuals, but they put the tube in the body bag or put it close. They used an air pump. The tube is then removed, sealed, taken to the lab and then uses thermal desorption - heating tube causing gas to flow and examined in a gas chromatograph. Also, a portion of the gas is chriogenically frozen into pellets - a concentration type technique. They can detect minute amounts. This was used in both buried and above ground remains. They studied the above ground remains for two to three years. Samples were taken initially weekly, then bi-weekly, then monthly as the decomp process slowed down.

2004 paper was updated in 2008.

JA submitted Dr. Voss in the area of forensic anthropology and human decomposition.

JB objected and HHBP accepted him as an expert.

I want to thank those of you transcribing you are invaluable to those of us that cant watch. YOU ROCK!!!!

#CaseyAnthony Wow..some big terms being thrown around..thermal disorption, microextraction fibers..chryofocus...yikes!

by amandaoberwesh via twitter at 6:59 AM

#CaseyAnthony Hee Hee..he just explained the low temperature of liquid nitrogen and turned to jury and said "it's bloody cold!"

by amandaoberwesh via twitter edited by amandaoberwesh at 7:00 AM

#CaseyAnthony I gotta say, this witness is likeable because he's so into what he does and smiles, laughs despite talking about dead bodies

by amandaoberwesh via twitter at 7:01 AM

JA wants Dr. Vass to be entered as an expert witness. JB objects of course. HHJP allows.

I'm curious as to who the AA woman in pink is that is shown on the first row (to the left of Ashton). She was there yesterday as well and gave CM a hug when she came into the courtroom. Anyone know?

If Dr. Vass is NOT an expert on decomp, who on Earth would be? JB looks desperate or crazy.

Yuri Melich was BRILLIANT to contact Dr. Vass. BRILLIANT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid