2011.06.07 TRIAL Day Twelve (Morning Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering. Could they set ip a dog sniffer test in the courtroom with that can?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I think it was really unfortunate that JA handed him the wrong can and AV didn't realize it. I think JB would never have known the difference. I'm glad JA was honest and confessed his mistake and AV was honest and confessed his mistake. It makes his testimony stronger in some ways if weaker in others.

I agree. I don't think it was done on purpose. At this point, I am sure that JA and his team appreciate Dr. Vass and are depending on his testimony through this trial, I do NOT for one second believe that JA would purposely give him the wrong can on the stand, just to have him come back and be ripped up by Baez because he also didn't catch the labeling on the stand yesterday.

Not if he is wise. As you say it is inconsequential. To make much of it, I think he needs a series of similar mistakes so that he can argue that the LE investigation was sloppy.

What was in the wrong can? I would like to know that.

I trust that HHJP knows the law and what is or isn't allowed.

It wasn't whether or not it was within the law. JB hardly is inexperienced and a seasoned prosecutor such as Jeff Ashton can let Baez walk into various holes left, right and centre. That is sneaky in my view.

HHJP sounds exhausted and frustrated with JB.

HHJP does seem to be different that the past month. Could be the trial is taking a toll if he doesn't feel well.

Wonder if something else isn't going on in regard to the huge amount of sidebars where the judge is schooling JB day after day.

Could there be pressure on the judge for a mistrial based on JB's lack of skill and the fact that the remainder of the DT is on the sidelines when their area of expertise would benefit ICA to have them cross.

I wonder when we will hear computer forensics...I'm really interested to hear that.

What would be the purpose of JA intentionally submitting the wrong can? Cans someone help me out here?

So that he could set JB up to question it and then allowing the State to open the can so that Dr. Vass could confirm it was the can he received? Not my opinion, but what BS was saying on WFTV

What was in the wrong can? I would like to know that.

I don't know but as I posted on the other thread, had it not been a "smell of death" and the jury been allowed to conduct the smell-the-can experiment then it could well have turned into an OJ "the glove does not fit" moment.

This wasn't Vass's mistake at the lab, it was JA's mistake in asking him about the wrong can yesterday. It was JA's mistake, not Vass's. It doesn't color his work at all because it has nothing to do with his work. He did not misidentify this can when he went to process it. That is not the mistake at all. The chain of custody is intact. The only mistake was JA's in asking him to say that can was the right one. That has nothing to do with chain of custody or Vass's work. This is not a mistake to get upset over. JA has had a sterling reputation in his career and in the past three years. At least he admitted to his mistake. Baez has made millions of mistakes and never admitted or apologized for ONE of them. I trust Ashton anyday over Baez. If Baez harps on this, it's only going to make things worse for Casey.

JB is really going to use that mistake against the State's case in closing arguments. Its really a shame that happened since it is so inconsquential but ol JB will make alot of hay over it.

JB will stay on his mission to discredit each and every witness no matter how credible they are. He wants to get his client off and will try to destroy the reputation of anyone that offers testimony that doesn’t bode well for ICA.

I hope Dr. Vass gets to do something fun while he is here. I would have to have him think of Orlando only in reference to his 'inquisition'!

wasn't JB checking all the evidence that was being submitted? How come he didn't catch that at the time, or did he....?

If JB made a mistake, no one realized it, and then he owned up to it, I would actually have a lot more respect for him. I wouldn't get on his case for an honest mistake.

What's in the "wrong" can, any ideas?

Sorry you feel that way. I feel like this is the best forum, with fair posters.

Maybe the reason we are so frustrated by JB is because he makes mistake after mistake after mistake.

JA did make a mistake, owned up to it and rectified it.

Perhaps it seems one-sided here because that is the reality of the case. The defense has no defense and can only hope for missteps on the part of the witnesses and to defame everyone who is put on the stand.

It wasn't whether or not it was within the law. JB hardly is inexperienced and a seasoned prosecutor such as Jeff Ashton can let Baez walk into various holes left, right and centre. That is sneaky in my view.

So far the prosecution have saved Baez's butt twice, not once, but twice - otherwise those 6 felony convictions would be in for the jury to consider. There is nothing sneaky about this team of prosecutors in my opinion, they want a fair trial for ICA, even it if means making sure that Baez doesn't scupper himself and his client. I might add if the shoe was on the other foot then Baez would crucify them.

Regarding what was in the other can, weren't there several (4 or 5) cans sent and only one was opened? Weren't there cans that had not been opened that it was opined the State might want to open for the Jury?

wasn't JB checking all the evidence that was being submitted? How come he didn't catch that at the time, or did he....?

I wondered who did discover it was the wrong piece of evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela