2011.06.07 TRIAL Day Twelve (Morning Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all of JB's questions yesterday are going to backfire on him today, because JA is going to make sure to catch all of those upfront and discredit any points JB MAY have made yesterday.

#CaseyAnthony FBI expert did analysis to detect chloroform on items.
by bobkealing via twitter at 10:29 AM

He did the headspace gas chromatography test for the chloroform. AS A CHEMIST......tested for chloroform....as a chemist!!

On the stand Vass said it was something it wasnt. We do not know if he mixed up cans in his lab or not. It is very likey he has misread or not followed every protocal in his lab if he had a problem with reading this can to see if it was truely his work.

Dr.Vass seems ike a nice person but I wouldnt trust him proffessionaly.

Again, it was JA's mistake, NOT Vass's! There are at least three identical cans, and Ashton should have known the right one to show Vass. This not Vass's mistake and it does not affect his work. His lab should not be in question for a mistake that JA made in court, which has NOTHING to do with the lab!

this guy tested evidence for chloroform... this should be interesting testimony...

I'm new to WB. Have been lurking for about 2 weeks. It's great to be here.
I have a question....

Why doesn't the trunk carpet that they are showing in the courtroom still smell of decomp? Is it because it's been 3 years and the smell has dissipated? Just wondering what ya'll think.

WELCOME TO WS! :welcome: :welcome4:

I suspect that the cans are sealed. The trunk liner it self probably doesnt smell much any more because its been 3 years. but i think it was in a bag when they showed it. The cans werent opened in court.

Did casey have a spare tire in that trunk or just the cover to well?

Getting here late this morning, hope I didn't miss too much.

This is new technology. When they first started testing DNA there were many mistakes. Can we take this machine as being absolutely accurate.
The machine is not new technology. The GCMS has been used for decades.

Direct Examination of Dr. Michael Rickenbach by JA

Employed at the FBI as a forensic chemist examiner for 15 years.

Education - 2 BS forensic science and chemistry MS in chemistry PhD in chemistry also has continuing ed

Has been qualified as an expert as a chemist 12 to 15 times mainly in federal jurisdictions.

Witness presented as an expert in the area of forensic chemistry - no objection by JB.

During the break they examined a black trash bag. JB examining the bag. Marked as Exhibit 138 with no objection by JB.

During the break he also looked at the spare tire cover and recognized he had seen it before. Exhibit 139 with no objection by JB.

He also examined another trash bag as having seen it during the break. Item was marked as Exhibit 140 with no objection from JB.

He was also shown a box and agreed he examined it earlier during the break and recognized it was something he had previously received. Item marked as Exhibit 141 with no objection from JB.

He was shown another box and agreed he had examined it. He was also shown a can in a plastic bag and recognized it. Items were marked as Exhibits 142 and 143 with no objection from JB.

He was asked to inspect the items for the presence of chloroform. He did a visual exam after opening each item individually. He looked for staining, then took samples, placed them in sealed vials and did a headspace gas chromatography.

JA gave the witness a copy of his report.

Item Q-22 (Exhibit 143) was a piece of the spare tire cover. He opened the can, observed the material, took a cutting, put it in a sealed vial. When he opened the can, he observed an odor.

Objection by JB.

SIDEBAR #3

Sidebar....
Judge this expert witness is not a sniffer machine

Sidebar. DT doesn't want the chemist witness to describe the odor when he opened the can.

JA: when you opened the can did you detect an odour
witness: yes I did
JA: how would you describe that odour
DT: objection
Sidebar

WELCOME TO WS! :welcome: :welcome4:

I suspect that the cans are sealed. The trunk liner it self probably doesnt smell much any more because its been 3 years. but i think it was in a bag when they showed it. The cans werent opened in court.

the liners are in bags but the spare tire cover is not...I was wondering the same thing about the smell

JA: were you asked to inspect these items to detect chloroform?

yes, I did a visual examination. Noted any characteristics. Note any staining to know where to test from. Did Chromotography on them( I should really look up that word to know how to spell it, sorry)

JA: asking about a report

HHJP: the evidence number with the question number

(witness has asked to look at his report)

JA: we will start with Q 22. what is item Q 22

piece of spare tire cover

HHJP: what is the states exhibit's number?

JA: alright now, take us through what you did with that item?

open can. observe material inside. took cutting if any stains present and put in sealed vial and...

JA: you said there was an odor?

yes

JA: how would you describe that odor?

JB: may we approach?

HHJP: you may

side bar

Did casey have a spare tire in that trunk or just the cover to well?

I have yet to hear about that
I am also curious to find out if there was a spare tire in that wheel well or if it was on top or none at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela