2011.06.27 TRIAL Day Twenty-nine (Afternoon Session)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This witness is now a stammering, nervous wreck, IMO, no matter what he is saying or how he is saying, he is not very confident as an expert witness at this point. IMO

Again I ask, shouldn't be JB be focusing on the items he mentioned in his OS?

Not if he has decided to completely throw out that defense. Then he wouldn't want to remind the jury. Am wondering when JP will ask the DT again what happened to the abuse/drowning defense.

Baez didn't get a confirmation from the witness on some evidence he was showing, and he said something like, "Looks like that to me..."

Ashton was of course standing right there and practically yelled "Objection!" in Baez's ear...that "counsel was inserting his own comments" or something to that affect.

This is awesome.

Is this witness related to CA? He cannot answer a straight yes or no.

Baez is purposefully making inappropriate comments. I really hope that the jurors are turned off by this specific behavior

I would think since they see all the behavior we are seeing and they're human, they would be coming to "our" same conclusions about what's going on! (I hOPE!!)

Really, isn't this a waste of time? How many witnesses testified about their opinion of odors and what leaves an odor and how long! Clearly the smell didn't come from the trash bag and this witnesses knows not to say exactly that, while stuttering away. When is defense going to give us something, anything instead of bringing in these 'experts' just to turn them into State witnesses.

this witness sounds so unsure of himself when he is answering JA as opposed to JB. JA makes this guy very nervous. IMO

JB trying to make up evidence.

Insect activity

And didn't we learn earlier that the insects LEAVE the decomp or source of food for them to pupate. . or whatever? So, wherever they are found in that state would have NO decomp or food source in it?

Dr. Furton just will not let go - He keeps insisting that "residue" could have caused the odor of decomposition.

Apprently JB is trying to say that all Caylee was was just trash. Sad.

JB w/Furton - show the items in the trash....ask if see insect or maggot or pubaria there...JA objects not an insect expert....see that maggot there no longer there...something is that is no longer there....OBjection - not in evidence....move on

finger print powder? you can't take fingerprints from wet items...objection - sustained..

The chemical composition of that trash as collected in the wet version ...more advanced than in the current dry condition.....science has not evolved to the level that we can say way with confidence and give an error rate to the....objection

Recross

the strongest odor is closest to the object.....if decomp odor the strongest smell is coming from the source...if removed the highest concentration of odor and your removed or moved ...when take garbage bag the odor would go with it....I would think so but some residue left behind....something drip from the bag some odor residue left behind but the substative of the odor should be removed....

read all crime scene reports - no remeber any comment about the odor of the trash once they received the bag...no sir don't remember...
witness excused....

Baez is purposefully making inappropriate comments. I really hope that the jurors are turned off by this specific behavior

Novice,
Baez certainly is. I said the same thing to my sil. In fact she just asked what the heck were those silly questions asked for. :waitasec:

got 'em boss, nothing the witness read said it smelled of human decomp. FAIL!

3:38

Jury back in at 3:39

REDIRECT EXAMINATION OF DR. FURTON BY JB - continued

(Casey looking very somber - quite a contradiction to this morning)

JB showed Dr. Furton the trash (JA at the witness stand also)

He saw a brown substance in the can and agreed it was a brown substance. It appeared to be empty. Plenty of stuff on outside of can - not a good shot?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED (JA yelling it in JB's ear since he is standing there)

Purple residue on Velveeta container. He agreed that there is nothing visible other than the dry residue.

Do you see any maggots or puperia

OBJECTION - qualified? -

He has seen maggots before. He saw a little bit of evidence of insect activity. Whatever it is is no longer there.

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

Black powder outside Velveeta paper? Yes, it appears. You can't take finger prints....

OBJECTION - outside of expertise - SUSTAINED

Chemical composition of wet trash would have been stronger than what it is 3 years later after being put in a dry room.

Has science evolved to identify signature compounds of human decomp? In his opinion - no.

This is your life's work?

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED

RECROSS BY JA:

Primary source always has the strongest odor? Yes, the odor will come from the highest concentration. If the source is moved? If the bag was removed from the trunk, he would think the odor would go with it unless there was residue. Some residue might be left behind?

OBJECTION - asked and answered - OVERRULED

Unless there was a leak in the bag, the odor should go with the bag.

Has anyone said the bag had an odor of human decomp?

OBJECTION - beyond scope - SUSTAINED

He did not read anything that anyone said the bag smelled like human decomp.

Witness is excured (3:47)

Agrees that odor would go with the bag. WOOHOO

I wish I didn't but I feel bad for Dr. Furton. This is not his schtick, being on a witness stand that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in2itive