2011.07.07 Media's Motion for Release of Juror Names

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it sounds like the jurors are safe for quite some time then. This would have to go the U.S. Supreme Court, not the state of Fla. I'd be filing an appeal in a NY minute if my name were released. Or if the State of Fla notified me my name was going to be released.

ummm. I think you read my post wrong.

In the Florida Constitution, it says that as Floridans, we have the right to know all aspects of court proceedings. Essentially saying that the names should be released. Which I agree with. Living in Florida, this is something you know and live with everyday. If there is a special, unique reason to not have your info released, you can file a request, but they are only typically granted in cases of domestic violence or where you fear for your life, and you have to prove that fear.

Under our Sunshine Laws, HHJP will have to eventually release the jurors names.

For those who disagree on the release of these Jurors names...for fear of their safety, what can you base these assumptions on? Did the OJ Jurors suffer any harm after they found him not guilty? Just wondering if this is something that has a foundation for fear.

I really think it would behoove these Jurors to speak before their names are released (if there is really a threat to their safety) and if monies (via media outlets) are paid, that it be clearly announced those funds will go entirely to charity.

When people don't hear what really happened, there is more cause for speculation and speaking out may alleviate some of that suspicion felt by the public.

I wish I would have seen that.

I just find it odd that attorneys for the biggest news organization in the state would not cite to some sort of authority that definitively says they must be published - instead sourcing the Florida Supreme Court that states names should be published in general.

This seems contradictory to me:

(2) Trial jury
In Kever v. Gilliam, 886 So. 2d 263 (Fla. 1st DCA 2004), the appellate court ruled that the clerk of court was required to comply with appellant's public records request for names and addresses of trial court jurors empanelled in his trial. Accord AGO 05-61 (statute requiring Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to provide driver license information to courts for purposes of establishing jury selection lists does not operate to exempt from public disclosure jurors' names and addresses appearing on a jury list compiled by the clerk of court). Cf. Sarasota Herald-Tribune v. State, 916 So. 2d 904, 909 (Fla. 2d DCA 2005) (while "[t]here are unquestionably times when it might be necessary for a trial judge to impose media restrictions on the publication of juror information, . . ." trial court order prohibiting news media from publishing names and addresses of prospective or seated jurors in the high profile murder trial constituted a prior restraint on speech). http://www.myflsunshine.com/sun.nsf/sunmanual/FDF82414B328A36C852566F30065CD52

Then you are ok with giving away your rights. I am not.

Can you imagine a judicial system with no accountability???

For those who disagree on the release of these Jurors names...for fear of their safety, what can you base these assumptions on? Did the OJ Jurors suffer any harm after they found him not guilty? Just wondering if this is something that has a foundation for fear.

I really think it would behoove these Jurors to speak before their names are released (if there is really a threat to their safety) and if monies (via media outlets) are paid, that it be clearly announced those funds will go entirely to charity.

When people don't hear what really happened, there is more cause for speculation and speaking out may alleviate some of that suspicion felt by the public.

Looking at the way many people have behaved, I will not be surprised if the jury or Casey are harmed. Releasing juror names does not mean they will speak. They can decline afaik

This seems contradictory to me:

(2) Trial jury
In Kever v. Gilliam, 886 So. 2d 263 (Fla. 1st DCA 2004), the appellate court ruled that the clerk of court was required to comply with appellant's public records request for names and addresses of trial court jurors empanelled in his trial. Accord AGO 05-61 (statute requiring Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to provide driver license information to courts for purposes of establishing jury selection lists does not operate to exempt from public disclosure jurors' names and addresses appearing on a jury list compiled by the clerk of court). Cf. Sarasota Herald-Tribune v. State, 916 So. 2d 904, 909 (Fla. 2d DCA 2005) (while "[t]here are unquestionably times when it might be necessary for a trial judge to impose media restrictions on the publication of juror information, . . ." trial court order prohibiting news media from publishing names and addresses of prospective or seated jurors in the high profile murder trial constituted a prior restraint on speech). http://www.myflsunshine.com/sun.nsf/sunmanual/FDF82414B328A36C852566F30065CD52

That is what HHJP did. He imposed media restrictions while the trial was going on. Now that the trial is over Sunshine Laws say they can be released.

I work for a public university in Orlando. Any person off the street can come in and ask to see my personnel file. My mortgage docs, deed, marriage certificate, everything is on line. That is how it is in Florida. Transparent.

I am very interested to see what he decides. Several years or until juror's deaths would be wise imo.

That is what HHJP did. He imposed media restrictions while the trial was going on. Now that the trial is over Sunshine Laws say they can be released.

I work for a public university in Orlando. Any person off the street can come in and ask to see my personnel file. My mortgage docs, deed, marriage certificate, everything is on line. That is how it is in Florida. Transparent.

Then whats he ruling on? If these have to be automatically given out to the public, why are we here?

This is a secret I can live with!

But for me I want to live with an open system of government ,which is subject to the oversight of citizens.
If this verdict is just it should be open to scrutiny.
I have been waiting since July 2008 for justice for Caylee Anthony and on behalf of Caylee I want to know who these people are who made this decision about her murderer and why.

Then whats he ruling on? If these have to be automatically given out to the public, why are we here?

He is ruling on how long his cooling off period will be.

I can't see why it is important to release the names of the jurors. The decisions were unamious.

That is really how I feel. I would not harrass them nor do I live anywhere near them. But there are people that do.
Don't get me wrong, if I met one of the jurors somewhere in life I would have to most likely have a comment and questions.

The media is pushing HHJP to release the names sooner rather than later. HHJP cannot keep them sealed forever, as its MY Florida constitutional right to know who was on that jury. If he kept them sealed forever, he would be violating mine, and every other Florida resident's right to see this info.

That's what public knowledge means.

The media is pushing HHJP to release the names sooner rather than later. HHJP cannot keep them sealed forever, as its MY Florida constitutional right to know who was on that jury. If he kept them sealed forever, he would be violating mine, and every other Florida resident's right to see this info.

So whats the law that says they have a certain time period to be released? Whats the standard, is it usually immediately?

You're welcome to live in your totalitarian world.
But for me I want to live with an open system of government ,which is subject to the oversight of citizens.
If this verdict is just it should be open to scrutiny.
I have been waiting since July 2008 for justice for Caylee Anthony and on behalf of Caylee I want to know who these people are who made this decision about her murderer and why.

I too have been praying for justice for Caylee since I first heard about her in July of 2008. It didn't happen imo. Having jurors names will not change that, and is no guarantee they will speak, or discuss anything about jury duty or why they made their decision. JMO

On a second note it is public information and if you close this case then that opens others to have invisible jurors.
I think we need to hire porfessional jurors!!!!!! UGH.

So whats the law that says they have a certain time period to be released? Whats the standard, is it usually immediately?

I've never followed a trial like this before, so I don't what the time length normally is. Every other trial I have seen, the jurors names were not blocked from the public, so they were always available. EVEN DURING THE TRIAL. I would assume, when the judge files to have names protected during the trial, he would then have to file a motion to say, hey all trial stuff over over, they can be released now.

He will eventually release them but it could be some time before he does. It's just a matter of time. I still say most will be outted or out themselves before that time. We know #6 was looking for 50k to talk so he will prob be the next one he speaks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fil