2011.07.11- 07.18 Sidebar Thread (Post-Verdict)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From today's new thread:

Panel discussion at OS including Bill Shaffer commenting during a Q&A. Bill's comment at the end is a must see.

Here is the direct link, if that helps anyone.

Enjoy.

Thanks Trident for your perspective.

I think what we are seeing in our jury system is "glitches" turning into gulches.

I would like to see the following changes which are really a return to how things were done in the past:

Only the most compelling reasons for avoiding jury duty - 1st 12 names called, serve
Consider eliminating sequestered juries
Increase the per diem for jury duty
A pretrial information/education session for jurors (What is evidence?, etc)
A law to prevent jurors from monetizing their jury service
Eliminate the "death qualified juror" requirement for a capital case

I don't advocate abolishing the Double Jeopardy clause. I don't advocate professional juries. I do advocate a rolling back of the creeping corruption of our jury selection process. I think appropriate changes would restore confidence in our jury system.

Excellent post. What you outlined is good, common sense. I would like to see many of these changes enacted myself.

Thanks for reposting the entire link - it's short - maybe ten minutes, but well work the watch. Bill S. doesn't pull any punches in his final comments...and as always he remains one of my heroes.

Can you give a brief summary of what he said? Thanks.

(Irrational probably, but I cannot watch anymore about this case. I don't watch Greta, HLN or anything. I can read about it here, but just can't stomach hearing and watching.)

(Irrational probably, but I cannot watch anymore about this case. I don't watch Greta, HLN or anything. I can read about it here, but just can't stomach hearing and watching.)

I cannot watch ANY of it either ... but I took a chance and watched this short video of only Orlando Sentinel people talking, and Bill Sheaffer was fired up at the end! There are NO photos of the Inmate or her parents or her defense team, no clips of anything in the case -- only the OS people talking, It is GOOD!

B Sheaffer says the Defense and the Inmate brought the media circus on themselves and he doesn't care if something happens to the Inmate due to the circus they created surrounding her.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/vide...2f2/News/Casey-Anthony-trial-discussion-panel

Thank you so much for that link! Bill S is spot on with what he says at the end of the session. Woohoo for Bill !!

Thanks Natsound - that is a good article.

I take exception to the part about the people who "don't trust the jury system".

This trial has highlighted the deficiencies within our current jury system. By their own words, members of this jury revealed that they did not do what they were instructed to do. They used their own criteria to render a verdict and clearly did not understand some of the jury instructions.

To accuse those who vociferously disagree with the verdict (and criticize the justifications for the verdict) as being somehow unpatriotic and against the constitution is offensive.

We have seen our jury system corrupted by jury selection experts.
We have seen our jury system corrupted by "stealth" jurors who render a surprise verdict with an eye toward how much they will gain financially for said verdict.
We have seen people excused from jury duty for any reason with the result being a jury too dumb to get out of jury duty.
We have seen on TV both the OJ Simpson trial and the Casey Anthony trial

We have a right and responsibility to speak out - it is our duty and obligation as citizens. It is also the duty and obligation of our respective legislatures to enact some changes. There have been some excellent suggestions on this Websleuth forum.

I don't want the next Casey Anthony acquitted.

Excellent post - definitely worth quoting.

The entire process of voie dire needs serious overhauling, imo. Having gone through this myself, I no longer believe that any jury is a "jury of one's peers". Jurors are carefully and methodically selected with the defendant/plaintiff getting to choose the people whom he or she believes will be most favorable to his/her side. When they can pick and choose the jurors who will render the verdict in his/her case, it becomes apparent that certain individuals aren't wanted due to their education, financial status, knowledge of the law, etc.

When I served on a jury in a civil case (professional malpractice), I was in the original group of 40 random potential jurors. Seven people would be seated for the trial that was supposed to last two weeks. Once voie dire commenced, the process was painstakingly slow with little progress being made and few jurors selected in a little over an hour.

The Judge called for a break at that time, and when we returned to the courtroom, the attorneys went to a sidebar. When they returned to their seats, the Judge told everyone that he was not going to bring in another group of 40 potential jurors as he saw no reason why they could not find seven individuals from the first group. He admonished the attorneys for the tedious process that was taking too long, and that he expected opening statements after lunch.

If the plaintiff had been able to choose from another group of jurors, I would never have been seated on the panel. The plaintiff clearly wanted uneducated, middle class folks who would side with her against a prominent member of the legal profession. A panel with this composition would NOT be a jury of this successful, wealthy business-owner's peers. You'll pardon my crassness when I say that the system sucks :innocent:

A woman says that if the reporters and public hound Casey that she will be in harm's way. She asks how do the reporters walk the fine line of getting their story while taking the safety of the public into account.

Bill goes on a rant saying Casey and her lawyers sought out the press and sold pictures (which Baez squandered the money). He says they solicited the press and you couldn't shut them up. Every time you turn on the channel one of them is running their mouth. The press has a way of sniffing out of bull poopie. Baez thought he was going to use them to his advantage but it turned on them. He says when the DT cut off the relationship with some of the media it was because the media sniffed out the bull poopie. He says he doesn't care about her safety because she brought in on herself. They brought on the media fire storm. Let her spend money to have big gorillas around her so nothing happens to her, but if something happens to her he doesn't care.

My anger at this verdict has now passed.
FCA will commit further crimes, she cannot change who she is.

She only came up with accident/abuse a couple of months b4 trial. I wonder how many other stories she ran by JB during those 3 years.

She was a cheat, a liar and a thief BEFORE she killed her child, and she is now empowered by the verdict, I don't underestimate the sociopathic ability to have already got 'so over this'.

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, and I have't seen any redeeming factors yet.

Basically he said the Defense Team took every possible opportunity to stick their faces in front of every microphone and camera they could find, that Jose sold pictures for 200K, stuck 90K in his own pocket and hasn't been able to give an accounting of the rest, got made when the press did not accept every piece of poop Baez put in front of them, and called him on it, and now he doesn't give a damn what happens to ICA when she gets out. They can hire some big guys to protect her if they want to be he doesn't care one bit. And he spoke more forcefully than I have ever heard him speak!

Edited to add I hadn't read Nikki's post but you get the picture. Maybe this could be your first video...it's quite the feel good one - it's a town hall type gathering, and oh yes, Bill got a big round of applause.

I cannot watch ANY of it either ... but I took a chance and watched this short video of only Orlando Sentinel people talking, and Bill Sheaffer was fired up at the end! There are NO photos of the Inmate or her parents or her defense team, no clips of anything in the case -- only the OS people talking, It is GOOD!

B Sheaffer says the Defense and the Inmate brought the media circus on themselves and he doesn't care if something happens to the Inmate due to the circus they created surrounding her.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/vide...2f2/News/Casey-Anthony-trial-discussion-panel

Hooray! I was going to send you a note to ask that you please try cause Bill didn't let us down - he tells it like it is!

ETA: sorry, obviously I don't know how to properly due links.

Moseby - I had to have lessons. First you need to start a "quote" to the article, then highlight and copy, just close the quote on the news reply (obviously cause we can't reply to it) and bring it back to the thread here Hit reply and when your box opens, use the paste function and add your comments.

I used to just highlight and copy the actual news item, and paste it back into another thread, until Beach gave me a pm smack and said - LG - do it right! heh heh.

Thank you to Logicalgal, Nikki & ThinkTank

I did finally watch the video and you are so right - it was great! It was refreshing to hear the applause also.

Instead of constantly showing the Clerk of Court reading the Not Guilty verdicts, the TV shows should show Bill Sheaffer's comments at this press conference. He certainly sums up how many of us feel.

Thanks again!

A woman says that if the reporters and public hound Casey that she will be in harm's way. She asks how do the reporters walk the fine line of getting their story while taking the safety of the public into account.

Bill goes on a rant saying Casey and her lawyers sought out the press and sold pictures (which Baez squandered the money). He says they solicited the press and you couldn't shut them up. Every time you turn on the channel one of them is running their mouth. The press has a way of sniffing out of bull poopie. Baez thought he was going to use them to his advantage but it turned on them. He says when the DT cut off the relationship with some of the media it was because the media sniffed out the bull poopie. He says he doesn't care about her safety because she brought in on herself. They brought on the media fire storm. Let her spend money to have big gorillas around her so nothing happens to her, but if something happens to her he doesn't care.
Horrible to say (or maybe not), I don't care either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89