2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The house is intact! The fence is still up! We have water! No power. No internet. My sweet neighbors took video and walked all around the house to look for damage. I’ll drive home on Saturday. My daughter will ride with me.

The screening needs to be replaced. The downspout needs repaired. The tree branches need to be picked up and taken to the curb. Some probably need to be cut up smaller so the county will take them.

I have no idea how these things will be taken care of. I’m praying some landscaping fairy will come along and put it back together enough so it can be mowed.
The most important thing is you are safe and your house isn't damaged. I would be sure and have someone check your roof just to be sure.

My grandson is ok. His company was staged in St. Lucia so that after the storm they could start to remove trees and work along with the power companies to restore power. Unfortunately. he is somewhat traumatized because he was in the location. where tornadoes hit last night, and helped with searching and rescuing the people. He saw dead bodies for the first time in his young life.
Oh, that's so hard for him.

We rarely recognize how difficult can be for first-responders and support workers to have to deal with very sad situations they run across.

He is to be thanked for his work and his support in dealing with a situation few others could do.

I have friends who live on the east coast. She posted pics on FB of the extensive damage in her area....Martin County, in the south east. She and her husband live in a well fortified home, but they had 4 tornados touch down within 3 miles, very stressful and frightening, and this was before Milton even made landfall. No damage to their home (other than debris, trees etc).
These numerous tornados....who would have known? Awful.
eta: FB is Martin County Sheriff's Office page

I have friends who live on the east coast. She posted pics on FB of the extensive damage in her area....Martin County, in the south east. She and her husband live in a well fortified home, but they had 4 tornados touch down within 3 miles, very stressful and frightening, and this was before Milton even made landfall. No damage to their home (other than debris, trees etc).
These numerous tornados....who would have known? Awful.
eta: FB is Martin County Sheriff's Office page

I've read about large hurricanes having big storms, including thunder and lightning, but I've never really paid much attention to tornadoes, because you often can't really tell if the winds are very high.

It appears that these hurricane-spawned tornadoes are likely to be huge, strong, persistent, and very much more destructive. I don't know how anyone on the east coast could really have thought to prepare for an extended, 6-hour long tornado warning.

Sure, they were likely worried about local flooding and rain, but not thinking of hurricanes. They didn't even have hurricane shelters set up there.

Thank you for sharing this. It's good to be advise for these hazards, and to make sure they get support and rebuilding, too.

Here’s a look at the current death toll across Florida: 14

• St. Lucie County: 6
  • Pinellas County: 2
  • Volusia County: 4
  • Citrus County: 1
  • Hillsborough County: 1
St Lucie and Volusia Counties are in the east, the highest tolls....due to the tornados
I must say, I think people on the west coast really took this hurricane and the evacuations seriously, likely due to the devastation of Helene, as well as the constant warnings by authorities.
I expected the death toll to be quite a bit higher, though at this time we don't really know yet, this is just one day after.

eta: Looking it up, Actually the Volusia deaths were due to trees falling and a man sadly suffered a heart attack while preparing his home. I don't think there were tornados that far up.

Last edited:
My son reached out to my niece, and my Lakeland family is safe. The property is flooded, though, again. She and her husband are chomping at the bit to leave and go check on their house in Tampa. Plus, well, they're tired of hearing fights about politics in a house with no A/C lol.
Breathing much easier.

GZigMMgXEAI9iMk

Links:

Tampa Bay battered and bruised -- but still standing!
Less damage than feared...
HISTORIC: 45 tornadoes reported in Florida during single day...
Now alligators stalking homes...
Rivers Forecast to Break Water Level Records... Developing...
Growing risk: Flooded electric cars going up in flames...

I even spotted those telltale outer band clouds all the way up in Myrtle Beach on my way to work this morning. (I can’t get the picture to post vertically for some reason… even though it was taken that way.)

IMG_4155.jpeg

My son reached out to my niece, and my Lakeland family is safe. The property is flooded, though, again. She and her husband are chomping at the bit to leave and go check on their house in Tampa. Plus, well, they're tired of hearing fights about politics in a house with no A/C lol.
Breathing much easier.
I understand that sense of relief. I heard from family this morning also. Everyone is ok thankfully. Mostly tree damage in yards, nothing major.

Lordy that arguing would send me right over the edge too!

I understand that sense of relief. I heard from family this morning also. Everyone is ok thankfully. Mostly tree damage in yards, nothing major.

Lordy that arguing would send me right over the edge too!
My family down there is LOUD - and my poor nephew-in-law is very sweet and reserved. Hoping that they can escape tomorrow while they still have some sanity left lol.
I'm so glad that your family is safe! Fingers and toes crossed for no more hurricanes this season.

Last night when Hurricane Milton made landfall, I watched live coverage on YouTube from storm chasers and the local newscasts on Florida tv stations.

What was unbelievable for me was the storm chasers driving on the deserted roadways at night during the landfall.

Many roads had high water that reached a vehicle's front bumper.

The problem with high water at night during a hurricane is that you don't know if there are any downed live electrical wires and alligators that are hidden in the high water.

And if a storm chaser vehicle breaks down while they're live streaming during a hurricane, well there won't be anyone else out there to help them with their vehicle breakdown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyndHunter
Back