2nd Fatal FL Alligator Attack

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From DK's Link

"There is a commonly repeated myth about alligators being able to move at 35 or 40 miles per hour, but this is not true."

Amraann said:
From DK's Link

"There is a commonly repeated myth about alligators being able to move at 35 or 40 miles per hour, but this is not true."

But I bet they can hold their breath longer than a bear.

(BTW, when I say that as a child I often heard that myth about gators running 35 mph, I mean I heard it at zoos and the like from supposed experts. I didn't mean it was neighborhood gossip. Just shows to go ya.)

Nova said:
But bears are excellent swimmers. So you're pretty screwed either way, lol.

Nova said:

(BTW, when I say that as a child I often heard that myth about gators running 35 mph, I mean I heard it at zoos and the like from supposed experts. I didn't mean it was neighborhood gossip. Just shows to go ya.)

I don't doubt that for one second Nova. I have been to other parks for events etc where "experts" were giving talks on one speicies or another and plenty of times I have known the information was completely innacurate.

Its no wonder people develope these fears.

Dark Knight said:
But bears are excellent swimmers. So you're pretty screwed either way, lol.

I'm sure raccoons are the most deadly. There's just a cover up to keep the stats from us because raccoons look cute from a distance.

Amraann said:
I don't doubt that for one second Nova. I have been to other parks for events etc where "experts" were giving talks on one speicies or another and plenty of times I have known the information was completely innacurate.

Its no wonder people develope these fears.

Somehow I managed not to be too afraid of gators on land. (Fortunately, since I saw them everywhere, sunning themselves.) But the one time I fell into a canal, I screamed my fool head off! Probably scared the gators (and all the snakes) away!

Nova said:
I'm sure raccoons are the most deadly. There's just a cover up to keep the stats from us because raccoons look cute from a distance.
My ex had one as pet. It was the demon from hell.Persnickety with an agenda. Don't trust them...LOL!

concernedperson said:
My ex had one as pet. It was the demon from hell.Persnickety with an agenda. Don't trust them...LOL!

Not to worry. The ones in my neighborhood look like St. Bernard's. Only not so friendly.

A fellow cat-lover and friend of mine used to say he tried to keep in mind that his cats would eat him, if only they were a little bigger. I don't think raccoons are that persnickety.

Nova said:
Not to worry. The ones in my neighborhood look like St. Bernard's. Only not so friendly.

A fellow cat-lover and friend of mine used to say he tried to keep in mind that his cats would eat him, if only they were a little bigger. I don't think raccoons are that persnickety.
Racoons can be VERY mean and aggressive creatures. Mostly those that are use to people and can scavenger the garbage cans and eat left out pet food .. They become not afraid of people.
I have also met racoons that were pets that were sweet.

Oh no, this is in a Houston, Texas suburb--now I will be watching for snakes AND gators!! :eek: :eek:

400-Pound Alligator Found In Back Yard

HOUSTON -- A Missouri City family found a 400-pound alligator in their back yard Monday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

The alligator crawled under a fence the homeowners put up to keep wildlife out of their back yard on Cicada Drive near Peninsulas Drive.

The family's dog found the alligator around 7 a.m. The alligator then lunged at the dog. (More at link)

http://www.click2houston.com/news/9256098/detail.html

-----------------------------
Since we have been talking about bears too:

500-Pound Bear Breaks Into Home, Attacks Woman

ORWELL, Ohio -- A state wildlife officer said a 500-pound bear that escaped from a northeast Ohio commercial gaming business on Monday entered a neighboring home and attacked a woman.
Reno Reda of the state Department of Natural Resources said the owner of Grand River Fur Exchange in Hartsgrove Township was attempting to enter the bear's cage to clean it Monday when the animal escaped. (More at link)

http://www.click2houston.com/news/9258281/detail.html

I think its worth noting that due to a turbulent Hurricane season the past two years this is normal.

The storms killed smaller prey type foods and habitat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laloeromero
Back