3 year-old Kicked Off Plane After Tantrum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Paladin said:
I didn't see Floh make any disparaging remarks against the kid. Nor did I see the article really do so either. What are you talking about?
I can't speak answer for NewMom 2003, but there have been plenty of disparaging remarks made about this child (one poster called her retarded and omen-child, etc..) during the course of this thread.

I think the airline handled the situation very well and went above and beyond the call of duty with the three free tickets. I think the parents are kicking up a fuss about nothing.

But I don't think there's any reason to rail on the child (call her names or say she's going to end up in prison, etc..) She was a 3-year-old having a tantrum. That's as common as rain and not a big deal.

NewMom2003 said:
I would take my child outside as well.

I'm just boggled by the name calling of this child in the original post. I don't understand why some people have to resort to ugliness and call children names. Sounds very "childish" to me.

There was no name calling "of this child" in my original post. and no name calling of this child by me in subsequent posts.

i did call the parents 'dimbows' for saying they'd never travel with the airline again because that airline went over and above the call of duty IMO by refunding their fare and offering three roundtrip tickets anywhere the airline flies. them not taking advantage of this isn't very bright, IMO.

Floh said:
There was no name calling "of this child" in my original post. and no name calling of this child by me in subsequent posts.

i did call the parents 'dimbows' for saying they'd never travel with the airline again because that airline went over and above the call of duty IMO by refunding their fare and offering three roundtrip tickets anywhere the airline flies. them not taking advantage of this isn't very bright, IMO.
I didn't take NewMom's post to be directed to you Floh. There are plenty of other name-calling posts on this thread!

southcitymom said:
I didn't take NewMom's post to be directed to you Floh. There are plenty of other name-calling posts on this thread!

NewMom singled out the "original post". as the thread starter i assume that to be moi/ich/me and therefore have an urge to defend myself. :)

Floh said:
NewMom singled out the "original post". as the thread starter i assume that to be moi/ich/me and therefore have an urge to defend myself. :)
Ooops - sorry! Thanks for pointing that out - I was just thinking about the thread in general.

Floh said:

Floh, I was not referring to your post at all. I was referring to the post that I quoted originally when I said "I take it you don't have children?". I guess I should have worded it differently.

NewMom2003 said:
Floh, I was not referring to your post at all. I was referring to the post that I quoted originally when I said "I take it you don't have children?". I guess I should have worded it differently.

Seriously, look at your post again so there is no ambiguity:

NewMom2003 said:
I would take my child outside as well.

I'm just boggled by the name calling of this child in the original post. I don't understand why some people have to resort to ugliness and call children names. Sounds very "childish" to me.

i really am upset by this. :(

"I guess I should have worded it differently." doesn't quite cut it and i'm sorry to be a bore, but it isn't a case of wording it differently, it was an outright slur which i really don't appreciate.

i know there will be some who believe i'm making too much of this. i don't think so.

i'm done.

Well I personally have to problem with anyone who called this child a brat. Most of the kids I know would never behave like that at age 3 unless.....the parents had let them get away with the tantrum and hitting the parents up until that time. Most of the kids I know very much know better than to do this by the time they are 3 years old, and the ones that don't have the very permissive 'they are just expressing themselves' parents. I also never volunteer to babysit for those particular kids. My best friends kid just turned 3 in Nov and she already says yes m'am/sir and no m'am/sir to adults. And all my friend has to do if she starts to act up is whisper in her ear 'you are not behaving for mommy. Do you want to have to leave?' Little tyke straightens up and flys right with just that. And no she is not abused but she has gotten a swat on her bum when needed and all you have to do is say 'time out' and she goes and gets her chair and puts it in the corner and sits on her own and she just turned 3. So in my opinon this particular kid is a brat and I agree her parents are 'dimbows' and I am not afraid to say it and I won't apologize for it or take it back.

Floh said:
Seriously, look at your post again so there is no ambiguity:

i really am upset by this. :(

"I guess I should have worded it differently." doesn't quite cut it and i'm sorry to be a bore, but it isn't a case of wording it differently, it was an outright slur which i really don't appreciate.

i know there will be some who believe i'm making too much of this. i don't think so.

i'm done.
Hi Floh,

NewMom's post was ambiguous.

I too thought NewMom was referencing the original quote she had first mentioned, NOT the quote that opened the whole thread. I never thought she was slurring you - when you read through the thread it doesn't come across that way at all.

It's obvious that the initial post (your post) doesn't name call and it is obvious that the original post she was speaking to does name-call.

:blowkiss:

SCM

curious1 said:
:clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap: You are my hero OLG.

LOL Curious1 and Eve. When I do things like that my hubby always asks me if I have stopped taking my meds.

OneLostGirl - I understand what you are saying, but I do not believe it is uncalled for to ask if the child is retarded. I don't think she called her a "*advertiser censored*" at all.

Furthermore, my daughter is not retarded, but she is mentally ill. Very mentally ill and is currently in a residential treatment center. I have had the pleasure of dealing with children, teens and their families who cover the entire spectrum of mental and cognitive disabilities, and it is my experience that the word retarded is not an insult. Nobody goes around calling each other "retards" but, then, nobody goes around freaking out about the slightest of perceived political incorrectness either.

Our son has been flying since he was 3 with no problems. He loves the whole process....he usually has his forehead on the window looking out. If he's not, he'll get out his GameBoy.

A friend who flies with small children takes a bag full of small presents that she gets at the dollar store and small snacks. She wraps each of them, even the snacks. The unwrapping and enjoying the item takes awhile and the kids are occupied and happy. I think it's a great idea......I wonder if she'd pass the screening process now? :eek: :waitasec:

Dalilah said:
OneLostGirl - I understand what you are saying, but I do not believe it is uncalled for to ask if the child is retarded. I don't think she called her a "*advertiser censored*" at all.

Furthermore, my daughter is not retarded, but she is mentally ill. Very mentally ill and is currently in a residential treatment center. I have had the pleasure of dealing with children, teens and their families who cover the entire spectrum of mental and cognitive disabilities, and it is my experience that the word retarded is not an insult. Nobody goes around calling each other "retards" but, then, nobody goes around freaking out about the slightest of perceived political incorrectness either.

Darlin, I'm sorry that you and your little girl have had so many trials and tribulations in her short lifetime. I've always thought that it takes very special people to parent mentally ill children and you seem like the cream of the crop! I wish you and your family nothing but good things in the future. God bless y'all!!

Thank you so much for saying that Jeana. It's just so nice to hear and so very much appreciated.

Boyzmomee said:
1. Because I'm sure that would be the first thing the mother would have let the world know, that her child is disabled. As of now, she blames it on "ear pain." Perhaps she should have sought a remedy for the ear pain on the return flight? IMO, the child is a brat.

2. Autism and Aspergers don't necessarily make children "hit."

3. And, no, I do not think spanking a young child is necessarily abuse. Speak with someone who was REALLY abused and they will explain to you the difference.
I wasnt going to respond here again but since my post was brought up I feel the need to respond.

1. Not all ear infections nowadays are treated with antibiotics, my daughter has had viral ear infections that appeared painful to her but were not treatable by antibiotics. They were on vacation so they may not have had available vacation time to take off more than they already had. I personally dont consider anyone a "brat" but I have an issue with calling names, especially children. Like I said before my 3 year old would NOT be on an airplane per my choice, its too long of a flight in my opinion. I also dont have a problem with them being asked to leave, I just simply did not approve of the name calling of a little girl and how so many on here wanted to beat her.

2. They may not always but I do have a nephew who has asperger's/autism somewhere on the spectrum that they are trying to figure out. He does hit alot. He also is spanked quite a bit by his parents. So obviously hitting didnt work in his case.

3.HOW do you know if I was abused or not? It could be the reason I am so insistent upon treating children properly in my view by not calling them names, not spanking, and never making her feel ignored and neglected. The LAST thing I want to do and make sure my daughter never experiences it in her own home is why Im so insistent upon treating her like an individual and not someone to hit, push around, make her have a negative self esteem, or feel neglected. I want to give her the high self esteem I never had growing up and I ALWAYS thought I disappointed my parents even though looking back I was a very well behaved kid and teenager.

Btw- I dont have a child that is constantly misbehaving, she is a normal average three year old. She has a tendency to be very sensitive like her mom and easily gets her feeling's hurt if your voice changes to show dissapointment.

pedinurse said:
Tissue that doesn't receive blood flow dies. So that statement is not quite true.

What is more true is that it is not emotionally or developmentally possible / appropriate to expect a small child to reason. Children / adults / people go through many stages of development, and each stage must be completed before going onto the next. Reasoning does come at a higher level than is usually expected from a 3 year old. But a three year old should be able to follow simple directions and be responsive to redirection / comfort techniques from a caregiver or person "in charge".
Sorry, I didnt word it correctly. I have a thirst for medical knowledge and have quite a few saved articles, rather than cross refrencing from one of my articles I searched for the webpage so you wouldn't just take my word for it. Here's the info, its technically not the blood flow that was an error on my part but it is the neurons not being fully developed at that age, I did make one more mistake it starts at 2 but I was correct in stating its not fully developed until age 8.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkkMI0bpFN3EB6VNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3ZjhoZTNlBGNvbG8DdwRsA1dTMQRwb3MDOQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANGODU5XzEwOQ--/SIG=11ug6h35q/EXP=1169957512/**http%3a//www.ecsd.com/%7erhhedgz1/brain.html

The violence level accepted as normal is developed from age 2 - 8. This emotional formation incorporates scripts. Behavior is scripred w/ characters and the child turns to these script for affirmation.

Describes it better than I could have that they do not know what is acceptable behavior including violent outbursts because their neurons are not fully developed until age 8 which is a far cry away from 3 years old.

Autumn2004 said:
Sorry, I didnt word it correctly. I have a thirst for medical knowledge and have quite a few saved articles, rather than cross refrencing from one of my articles I searched for the webpage so you wouldn't just take my word for it. Here's the info, its technically not the blood flow that was an error on my part but it is the neurons not being fully developed at that age, I did make one more mistake it starts at 2 but I was correct in stating its not fully developed until age 8.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkkMI0bpFN3EB6VNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3ZjhoZTNlBGNvbG8DdwRsA1dTMQRwb3MDOQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANGODU5XzEwOQ--/SIG=11ug6h35q/EXP=1169957512/**http%3a//www.ecsd.com/%7erhhedgz1/brain.html

The violence level accepted as normal is developed from age 2 - 8. This emotional formation incorporates scripts. Behavior is scripred w/ characters and the child turns to these script for affirmation.

Describes it better than I could have that they do not know what is acceptable behavior including violent outbursts because their neurons are not fully developed until age 8 which is a far cry away from 3 years old.
That's part of the reason it is important to expose your children to lots of different stimuli when they are young. It helps form more neurons and more synapses. The critical periods of plasticity or windows of opportunity are not open for all that long and you want to create as much brain activty as possible.
Thanks for your link Autumn.

Your welcome :)

It also reaffirms all the children that are consistently viewing violent behavior will become normal for them, it makes me question some theories of violent criminals having "normal" childhoods.

Autumn2004 said:
Your welcome :)

It also reaffirms all the children that are consistently viewing violent behavior will become normal for them, it makes me question some theories of violent criminals having "normal" childhoods.
I always have thought that violent behavior was a product not just of nurture but a lot of nature too. I wonder if those synapses just don't form correctly in the first place. I was a psychobiology major in college and have formed my own theories about how violent criminals could come to be ;incorporating both nature and nurture. But that would probably be for another thread another day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back