4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please correct me if I am wrong but the PCA is not evidence to be used in the trial. It is supposed to be only a summary of reasons police are asking a judge for an arrest warrant.

If there is a trial, whether the evidence was good or bad for an arrest in the first place is immaterial.
\
Is that correct?

Also, I'm super disappointed that the "BK was a GENIUS criminology student and there's no way he accidentally left the sheath behind so he must have planted it to play games with LE!" narrative continues to live on.

This guy drove his own car to to commit a quadruple murder, turned his phone off, passed multiple cameras on his way, did a 3 point turn to park....but leaving the sheath behind wasn't a mistake but instead part of this masterful plan?

Because public funding is involved, there is definitely a record of who was hired. Ergo, some documentation about the selection process & evaluation of his candidacy.

IMO they just don't want to release it.
I could understand them not wanting to, so they don't complicate the trial but that's not their decision to make. I could even understand if someone goofed. But they are part of the government. Aren't they required to produce documents relevant to that request whether they want to or not?

Also, I'm super disappointed that the "BK was a GENIUS criminology student and there's no way he accidentally left the sheath behind so he must have planted it to play games with LE!" narrative continues to live on.

This guy drove his own car to to commit a quadruple murder, turned his phone off, passed multiple cameras on his way, did a 3 point turn to park....but leaving the sheath behind wasn't a mistake but instead part of this masterful plan?
I agree. When I got up to the point of the immediate aftermath of the arrest, the first week or so of January, I'm pretty sure I subjected my partner to a lengthy monologue on the subject "oh my god, this is amateur hour". And that was before we even knew about the sheath. Even she, with her only-passing-interest in crime, kept asking, "he did what???" when I started laying it out for her. Unbelievable.

(Plane-watch was kinda funny to experience weeks after the fact, btw. Y'all really do make your own fun. :D )

Wouldn't he be aware of the sheath missing when he gets to his car and goes to set the knife down?

A knife dripping blood all over his car.

I have to wonder if he left the sheath on purpose to look like a military person did it. It is a military style sheath.
I apologize if this has already been mentioned and I’ve missed it. My mind keeps sticking on this; IMO, I don’t think the sheath was left on purpose, nor do I think he had any intention of putting the knife back in the sheath once it was bloody. I’m thinking he may not have thought that part through given his other mistakes. If he planned to keep the knife, he could have cleaned it. But once blood got on the sheath, it would have been nearly, if not entirely impossible to clean. He may have realized this and just wrapped it in something to get it out of the house. Not realizing he had already lost the sheath until much later.

I’ve touched on this before but I just wanted to clarify IMO the PCA has two problematic phrases. Those are “frozen shock phase” and “bushy eyebrows”. I’ll explain why I see this as the case.

1. Frozen shock phase leads the reader to infer that the witness had an understanding something was seriously wrong. It could be argued that the impact could be the same if the reader is indeed a warrant granting official.

2. Bushy eyebrows leads the reader to believe that the “witness” had a clear view of the intruder. Clear enough to sit on a stand and point out if a suspect’s attributes are consistent.

Here is the problem, if there is a possibility that these phrases were fill in the blank type words that actually came from the interviewer and reluctantly agreed to by the interviewee that could be an issue. If thrown out, a star eye witness testimony could go with it and the case takes a hit.

I don't believe it is wrong to summarize a witness statement for a PCA but perhaps someone else can better clarify and I'm very sure there is a much more comprehensive statement made to LE that may flesh out the odd 'shock frozen phase'. It did occur to me that if recent news reports are credible and if she did shout out earlier for the household to quiet down, it may have been startling to see a stranger in front of her door mere moments after. Someone also posted a couple threads ago that the greatest risk for college aged women is sexual assault. Could she have feared that or maybe she was just startled by a stranger in her home in the wee hours of the morning.

I think we need to know how much lighting she had to determine how clearly she saw his eyebrows but oddly enough, when people are afraid, they do tend to focus on odd things.

The PCA also mentions phone records in relation to the roommates and I wonder if there was a running conversation, possibly venting about noise, parties, etc or even questioning who the stranger in the house may be.

I could understand them not wanting to, so they don't complicate the trial but that's not their decision to make. I could even understand if someone goofed. But they are part of the government. Aren't they required to produce documents relevant to that request whether they want to or not?
Correct. If they refused to release HR records due to privacy laws, that might be understandable (and FOIA request might not require that) but the idea that they have no records cannot be correct, as they likely chose someone to hire.

The April 2022 police chief BK interviewed with retired in July.

I believe this FOIA request was for his fall 2022 application to the same department.

It will all come out eventually IMO.

But failure to properly respond to the FOIA is a problem. The city attorney, for one, would know this.

I'm not surprised by the stonewalling. Anyone who has worked in government knows these kinds of records are standard. Any records having to do with grant funding (which is likely here) & interviewing/hiring people are maintained.

Maybe the media will continue to fight for the info. Even so, I still doubt anything related to personnel matters would be released to the public.

JMO

Hmmm
IMO, one shouldn't exclude any possibility.

Who knows - maybe in his megalomania he thought he could "play games" with Police?

Weren't there criminals who sent letters to media/detectives?
Or puzzles to solve?

BK seems to me living in his "own twisted world of obsessions", and his elementary mistakes might not negate his wish to outwit LE.

With a perp like this, everything is possible.

JMO

The floors throughout are modern lino, as you can see if you look through the photo gallery linked at the beginning of each thread. Lino is non-porous and is great for retrieving clear prints.

The Amido black, in my opinion, was not used to identify blood or other body fluids, that was done with the presumptive test. When they knew the proteins were there, they used Amido black to stain it so that they could photograph it. Photographing prints this way is far easier than photographing prints revealed by Luminol, for example, which requires the chemical to make it glow and the area to be blacked out.

MOO
I agree. The amido black was for enhancement of the print, as in this video:

Also, converting the resulting photo from color to black and white can help emphasize more detail.

MOO

Last edited:
Dr
I agree. When I got up to the point of the immediate aftermath of the arrest, the first week or so of January, I'm pretty sure I subjected my partner to a lengthy monologue on the subject "oh my god, this is amateur hour". And that was before we even knew about the sheath. Even she, with her only-passing-interest in crime, kept asking, "he did what???" when I started laying it out for her. Unbelievable.

(Plane-watch was kinda funny to experience weeks after the fact, btw. Y'all really do make your own fun. :D )
Some of us are pretty devoted to flightradar commentating lol.

IMHO I have been searching to see if BK's family knew he was "released" from his WSU teaching position.
After all, in the "I got away with it world", what might have been his explanation and next steps to his family'? Getting as far away as possible makes sense. Maybe he simply did not care if he was released from his position because he accomplished what he set out to do.
I'm sure more info will trickle out. He had a lot of balls to juggle and it looks like he dropped a few.

Kind of reading the back and forth discussion this morning on the PCA. The primary purpose of a PCA is to get an arrest warrant, it isn't a thesis, dissertation, or meant to be suitable for framing. It served its purpose. JMO

IMHO I have been searching to see if BK's family knew he was "released" from his WSU teaching position.
After all, in the "I got away with it world", what might have been his explanation and next steps to his family'? Getting as far away as possible makes sense. Maybe he simply did not care if he was released from his position because he accomplished what he set out to do.
I'm sure more info will trickle out. He had a lot of balls to juggle and it looks like he dropped a few.
There’s very little information about his family and that’s not surprising. They may or may not have known since he was released during winter break. Not sure he would have been forthcoming and told them. MOO

There’s very little information about his family and that’s not surprising. They may or may not have known since he was released during winter break. Not sure he would have been forthcoming and told them. MOO
Thanks. I agree. More of the onion to peel.

Exactly what happened in a death penalty case I followed.

Defendant took a plea deal to avoid the death penalty and get LWOP. He had to give a proffer (testimony) about his crimes. He took the deal because of overwhelming evidence against him. There was sufficient evidence to verify his story.

And Joe DeAngelo (EARONS/GSK) took a plea deal to avoid the death penalty and offered nothing in the way of testimony about his many crimes. He was made to listen to victim statements and then offered this:

// "I've listened to all your statements, each one of them, and I'm truly sorry to everyone I've hurt."//

That's it. That's all he said.

And I was very disappointed because I was acquainted with one of the victims, and was obsessed with the case for years. The daughter of that acquaintance gave one of those victim statements and I had followed her on Twitter for a couple of years. Her disappointment over no information was so keen, it was awful. The surviving victims had formed a support group, basically, and all they got from their pain was mostly each others' confirmation about what had happened in the individual rape cases (which could not be filed due to statute of limitations).

So it's not always the case that a killer is made to fess up in return for removing the DP from the table.

I hope that BK is compelled to give a full account if he's given a deal, but I'm not optimistic and I'm not sure anything he has to say will help us understand what he did. It's pretty obvious what he did. I suppose maybe they can get him to say where he disposed of evidence.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned and I’ve missed it. My mind keeps sticking on this; IMO, I don’t think the sheath was left on purpose, nor do I think he had any intention of putting the knife back in the sheath once it was bloody. I’m thinking he may not have thought that part through given his other mistakes. If he planned to keep the knife, he could have cleaned it. But once blood got on the sheath, it would have been nearly, if not entirely impossible to clean. He may have realized this and just wrapped it in something to get it out of the house. Not realizing he had already lost the sheath until much later.

I agree. I think he had some kind of duffel or other liquid-proof bag to put his used gloves, coveralls, shoes, socks, mask, hat and knife into. I do wonder if he acquired seat covers for at least the driver's seat of the car and disposed of those too.

All he had to do was take off his coveralls (which he would do anyway before getting back in the car) and wrap the knife in those.

And I think it's possible he thought about going back inside the house the next morning, but decided against it. If the neighbor was off a little about when she saw the front door open, then he perhaps he did go back inside the house. Apparently he had his phone on for this entire trip, but likely left it in the car if ever got out of the car. It's possible he had not made his evidence disposal run yet, or had not completed it (certainly missed the sheath, but who knows what else he decided he needed to throw away from his apartment after cleaning up).

He's about to drive to Clarkston, pause there, go to Albertson's and park near the Snake River (and is seen on camera doing both, IIRC; the camera is at the coffee stand mentioned in the below article, IMO).

MOO.

The issue I've been overthinking today - HA - is the two different stories about DM's experience that night. I had never heard the phrase "frozen shock phase" until the PCA, but I think I understand what it's meant to convey. However, I don't see how the two stories about that night can both be accurate. If DM yelled for quiet because she thought they were partying too loud, and she assumed BK was a guest of theirs, there is no reason for the frozen shock phase. Relief maybe, that things will finally quiet down and she can sleep, but not alarm.

If the PCA is the accurate story, that she heard crying and whimpering and difficult to identify noises, and seeing BK alarmed her enough to produce a frozen shock phase, than I don't see someone yelling for quiet in that situation.

I know the idea that she assumed the noises were partying started from the Reddit post allegedly from Ethan's SIL, and then spread. So far News Nation is the only one to claim they have their own source who spoke directly to Dylan and got the same story. All the other news stories either refer back to News Nation or Reddit.

I would like to think that Banfield will have a LOT of egg on her face if it turns out all this stuff from their own sources turns out to be completely wrong, but I suspect think most people assume the press believe we've reached the point where the press now make up anonymous sources to justify what they really want to say. MOOooo

I don't totally discount the theory that the sheath was left behind on purpose.

So much has been floating around since day one. Some of it has ultimately been correct, including a roommate seeing a masked man dressed in black outside a door. The assumption at the time was that the surviving roommates were together on the first floor.

Supposedly Banfield will share exactly who made the 911 call (or from whose phone it was made), on tonight’s show.
Did anyone watch to see if Ms Banfield shared the 911 call details? I didn't see anything on you tube or twitter.

The issue I've been overthinking today - HA - is the two different stories about DM's experience that night. I had never heard the phrase "frozen shock phase" until the PCA, but I think I understand what it's meant to convey. However, I don't see how the two stories about that night can both be accurate. If DM yelled for quiet because she thought they were partying too loud, and she assumed BK was a guest of theirs, there is no reason for the frozen shock phase. Relief maybe, that things will finally quiet down and she can sleep, but not alarm.

If the PCA is the accurate story, that she heard crying and whimpering and difficult to identify noises, and seeing BK alarmed her enough to produce a frozen shock phase, than I don't see someone yelling for quiet in that situation.

I know the idea that she assumed the noises were partying started from the Reddit post allegedly from Ethan's SIL, and then spread. So far News Nation is the only one to claim they have their own source who spoke directly to Dylan and got the same story. All the other news stories either refer back to News Nation or Reddit.

I would like to think that Banfield will have a LOT of egg on her face if it turns out all this stuff from their own sources turns out to be completely wrong, but I suspect think most people assume the press believe we've reached the point where the press now make up anonymous sources to justify what they really want to say. MOOooo
Masked, I tend to agree. We only have a tiny portion of what DM has told LE, so it is hard to really tell. But even what we see in the PCA tells us there is a bit of a disconnect. What the PCA says she told police in a way doesn't make much sense. Was she terrified or not? If so, why? I suspect if we were able to see her full statement many of those questions may be answered. It could be that she really witnessed a heck of a lot more that night then is in the PCA. She is a victim as well so we wont attack her here. But the defense will look at her statements closely. I have seen a lot of posters here say the Defense attorneys will treat her with kid gloves at trial. But I'm not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot