4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't totally discount the theory that the sheath was left behind on purpose.

Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger may have left knife sheath behind to mislead investigators​

This is staging 101,' says criminal profiler John Kelly​

Kelly believes Kohberger left the brown leather sheath, which has “Ka-Bar,” “USMC” and the United States Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia, to point blame toward someone in the military.

1676396522032.png

Last edited:
Also, I'm super disappointed that the "BK was a GENIUS criminology student and there's no way he accidentally left the sheath behind so he must have planted it to play games with LE!" narrative continues to live on.

This guy drove his own car to to commit a quadruple murder, turned his phone off, passed multiple cameras on his way, did a 3 point turn to park....but leaving the sheath behind wasn't a mistake but instead part of this masterful plan?

Absent-mindedness is not uncommon for true geniuses. (For example, Norbert Wiener, the MIT father of cybernetics, was fantastically absent-minded. It is just how some people think, what they focus on, and what they consider unimportant). But of the talents of BK we know nothing. His onetime professor who saw him on Zoom thought he was bright, but that’s all.

Exactly what happened in a death penalty case I followed.

Defendant took a plea deal to avoid the death penalty and get LWOP. He had to give a proffer (testimony) about his crimes. He took the deal because of overwhelming evidence against him. There was sufficient evidence to verify his story.
True, but those two folks had a lot of info to share. Corroboration of stories (before and after the crimes). BK has nothing. He can still plead out today if he wants, but for him, trial is probably the better option.

He won't be testifying against anyone, or likely able to offer them anything at all, other than the "why". Trial is his only option available if he wants it proven that he didn't commit these murders, as he says he did not. The why part, would really only matter to the family members, and people interested in this case (and, those like me... :rolleyes: who are interested in his brain).

I think he will likely be very attentive, and possibly even enjoy the process, as he'll actually be in the seat of those whom he studied for so long. Being a dedicated student, combined with his ego, I think he'll make them "show their work" to convict him. The only possible plea would be taking a chance at pleading out, in front of the judge, and the judge sentencing him to whatever he feels the evidence shows. (I am not from Idaho, so there may be legal options that I'm overlooking).

Please correct me if I am wrong but the PCA is not evidence to be used in the trial. It is supposed to be only a summary of reasons police are asking a judge for an arrest warrant.

If there is a trial, whether the evidence was good or bad for an arrest in the first place is immaterial.
\
Is that correct?

Exactly. It's as if a murder was committed in our own town, one person saw the person walk through the murder site, there's DNA found near the dead bodies, DNA is found to match only one person, that person's phone shows them out and about during the period of time when the crime was committed; phone shows them circling and then parking near the crime scene.

This is enough for most judges in America to issue an arrest warrant. If the person has a strong alibi, they go to prelim within 10 days and present that.

Often, upon arrest, more evidence is found (say, in the car - or in this case, near time of arrest when BK goes and dumps trash at the neighbors'). What's presented at trial will be the best evidence and a narrative of what exactly happened, including the redacted autopsy reports and the many crime scene photos.

Did anyone watch to see if Ms Banfield shared the 911 call details? I didn't see anything on you tube or twitter.

I was hoping someone else would take a hit for the team - but I see nothing about Banfield revealing new details anywhere. Looks to me as if her coverage was entirely about the shooter at MSU.

IMO.

Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger may have left knife sheath behind to mislead investigators​

Kelly believes Kohberger left the brown leather sheath, which has “Ka-Bar,” “USMC” and the United States Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia, to point blame toward someone in the military.

View attachment 402852

I don't believe that he left it there on purpose for one minute! Why can't people grasp that he made a mistake instead of, oh, he was too smart to do that so it must have been on purpose- just my 2 cents

Masked, I tend to agree. We only have a tiny portion of what DM has told LE, so it is hard to really tell. But even what we see in the PCA tells us there is a bit of a disconnect. What the PCA says she told police in a way doesn't make much sense. Was she terrified or not? If so, why? I suspect if we were able to see her full statement many of those questions may be answered. It could be that she really witnessed a heck of a lot more that night then is in the PCA. She is a victim as well so we wont attack her here. But the defense will look at her statements closely. I have seen a lot of posters here say the Defense attorneys will treat her with kid gloves at trial. But I'm not so sure.

I don't think she'll get kid glove treatment at trial. And I do think many details were left out, many reasons. One would be to keep the witness's accounts separate and basically, untainted by each others' details. If there is a recording of sounds inside the house (that will be played for the jury), then that has to line up with other things DM might say, as well as what any neighbors might say or heard.

I think there's a way of cross-examining her thoroughly that is not wickedly disrespectful. However, I do think one line of defense will be to call the past behavior of the victims into question, opening the door to other suspects. DM had known Maddie and Xana for a while before moving in. DM would have knowledge of the "party house" angle and one can only guess where that could go.

IMO.

I don't believe that he left it there on purpose for one minute! Why can't people grasp that he made a mistake instead of, oh, he was too smart to do that so it must have been on purpose- just my 2 cents

Actually it is less smart if he left it there on purpose. Less smart than leaving it accidentally.

Because of the risk of leaving trace evidence which is what happened. You don't leave behind anything you have touched in any way.

Absent-mindedness is not uncommon for true geniuses. (For example, Norbert Wiener, the MIT father of cybernetics, was fantastically absent-minded. It is just how some people think, what they focus on, and what they consider unimportant). But of the talents of BK we know nothing. His onetime professor who saw him on Zoom thought he was bright, but that’s all.
He's not a genius. IMO

Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger may have left knife sheath behind to mislead investigators

This is staging 101,' says criminal profiler John Kelly

View attachment 402852

I do lean toward on purpose. If it was BK online in the other forums, he was having too much enjoyment from the speculation, needling others, quizzing them, etc... even before it was released publicly, about the sheath. Then again, if he accidentally left it, he might as well enjoy the ride, too, from an insider's perspective.

Moscow Police Department Cpl. Brett Payne noticed "what appeared to be a tan leather knife sheath laying on the bed next to Mogen's right side," the investigator wrote in an affidavit released Thursday.

I think M and K were the first targets, and M was possibly his main target. He may have even been leaving after when he hears X or E, and quickly kills them. He had not planned for the circumstances he ran into, in the home. He forgot to factor in the struggles, the possibility of those waking who are not targets, the dog barking and bouncing around, the physical exertion of stabbing someone to death, and the awakening of X (and E ?). The sheath is said to have been noticed laying to the rh side of M. So I think she was first. He didn't toss the sheath over in a corner or drop it on the way out, it was lying at her side. As if he just walked in, knelt, unsheathed the knife, straddles his victim, and then moves on to K. I don't think he anticipated K being in M's room either. K had a big K facing out of her room window. No shades on any of the back windows. D was a recent move to upstairs. I feel he knew whose room belonged to whom, but things weren't how he'd perceived them to be, once inside. The questionnaire he circulated could not have taken the unplanned, into account.

If he does have VS, and if it is as bad as it is said it was, then his adrenaline is pumping hard by then, anxiety is kicking in, and that can increase VS (possibly even if he'd gotten better over time). His VS could have even blocked D from his line of vision. The only way I know to explain what I've read about his vision, and VSS, is if you know someone with, or have Macular Degeneration. Some who have Macular Deg. start losing their vision in stages. They may be able to make out an object is there, but not be able to clearly see the details. Sometimes there's a hole of sorts, that narrows the vision. If my line of thought is correct, by the time D saw him, he may not have even actually seen her (or even mentally registered that he'd seen her). He was making his way to the slider, not her room, or he'd have killed her, I'm pretty sure. A sheath left behind is one thing, a living witness is completely different. Early blindness runs in our family due to some having in common/and inherited health-related issues. I could stand in front of my Uncle and he'd not see me, yet, he could drive a vehicle, for years (although he truly shouldn't have been driving).

On a side note; I have 20/20 and I have even waved at people who I thought were looking right at me, but they are looking past me. This could have been how D felt. Shocked at seeing him, saw him fully, yet by fortune, he misses seeing her due to looking past her/through her.

Right after the murders, I feel that he was in such a state of mind, that he likely didn't realize what he did or didn't have.

I think he went back after that time period b/c he was curious. There'd not been any news breaking, about what he'd done.
The old saying..."The Criminal Always Returns to The Scene of the Crime" comes to mind.

"In author Fyodor Dostoyevsky’s famous book "Crime and Punishment", which was one of the first novels to explore criminal psychology, the fictional protagonist Rodion Raskolnikov returns to the scene of his crime in something of a daze and confused state and he arouses suspicion by asking people questions about the murder.

Although BCK didn't speak to anyone, I do wonder if he too was in sort of a daze himself? With no news on MSM maybe he just had to go back and see if he actually did what he thinks he did? JMO MOO

I think he made a lot of mistakes but, being what I think he is, I feel it is possible that his ego played a role in leaving it behind. I think that he thought he had DNA under control and if not, he's not in the system anyway. So let them run his dna through the system. I bet he was surprised when he found out about the DNA. Even more surprised when he found out how they got him. He may have even been impressed. If the sheath was found in the grass outside, I'd feel completely different about it possibly being left behind deliberately.

Do any locals in here (I think there are a few), know if Latah County currently provides inmates with internet. Some do, some do not. Just curious...

According to the jail's website, they do not. Latah County Jail has its own website, complete with ways to send $ or gifts to inmates and describing what's available for the one hour a day that each inmate gets outside their cell. Books, chin-up bar, etc. No mention of computers.

I've never heard of a jail with computers, personally.

Hopefully NorthIdaho or someone else will know more (but most people don't know much about what it's like to be in jail, even if it's near their house). IMO.

I agree - I don't think he'd be in a cell right now were it not for that mistake.

DeSales had no coursework in genetic forensics that I can find (doesn't even have a department of anthropology, has no forensic genetics, no forensic anthropology, and actually doesn't even have a sociology department that I can find - and the Criminal Justice program focused on procedures more than on forensics, IMO. They do have a molecular biology major, but there's no evidence that BK was ever in that program nor are the courses listed as electives for the program he was in.

www.desales.edu

The biochemistry track is recommended for pre-meds:

Many people think of touch DNA as being like a fingerprint (you leave a few of them if you aren't wearing gloves). But DNA is persistent and microscopic (impossible to see except with special microscopes - and is in fact studied through a series of biochemical transactions inside of computerized equipment). BK probably did not know that it would be hard to remove DNA (if he tried) from the grooves around the snap, or that it would persist. Next to impossible to remove it completely from the leather, as well, if he touched the sheath with his fingers, ever. If he ever practiced with or examined the knife without gloves, he left DNA that would persist. He might have worn gloves that night, but since his DNA is on the snap, he didn't always wear gloves when handling it.

At any rate, a course in molecular genetics would not cover these aspects of forensic genetics. Nor was auditing available when DeSales went fully online. If he had actually majored in molecular biology (which he didn't), then he probably would have encountered the relevant information. He was apparently more interested in digital forensics, IMO.

IMO.

MOO upon murdering someone the mind and emotion are scrambled.

MOO The first time a person hunts and kills prey there is a similar
state of chaotic euphoria and other emotions. Can’t imagine that it’s not double for the intentional killing of a human being.

All to say MOO he forgot the sheath.

View attachment 402852
MOO A wannabe knife sheath, whether accidentally or on purpose, it was left by a wannabe.

I agree - I don't think he'd be in a cell right now were it not for that mistake.

DeSales had no coursework in genetic forensics that I can find (doesn't even have a department of anthropology, has no forensic genetics, no forensic anthropology, and actually doesn't even have a sociology department that I can find - and the Criminal Justice program focused on procedures more than on forensics, IMO. They do have a molecular biology major, but there's no evidence that BK was ever in that program nor are the courses listed as electives for the program he was in.

www.desales.edu

The biochemistry track is recommended for pre-meds:

Many people think of touch DNA as being like a fingerprint (you leave a few of them if you aren't wearing gloves). But DNA is persistent and microscopic (impossible to see except with special microscopes - and is in fact studied through a series of biochemical transactions inside of computerized equipment). BK probably did not know that it would be hard to remove DNA (if he tried) from the grooves around the snap, or that it would persist. Next to impossible to remove it completely from the leather, as well, if he touched the sheath with his fingers, ever. If he ever practiced with or examined the knife without gloves, he left DNA that would persist. He might have worn gloves that night, but since his DNA is on the snap, he didn't always wear gloves when handling it.

At any rate, a course in molecular genetics would not cover these aspects of forensic genetics. Nor was auditing available when DeSales went fully online. If he had actually majored in molecular biology (which he didn't), then he probably would have encountered the relevant information. He was apparently more interested in digital forensics, IMO.

IMO.
MOO If he took courses in digital evidence, MOO they aren’t going to find much digital evidence.
He can’t be that obtuse and have passed his courses.

Real live work of killing MOO there will be evidence, MOO because he is not used to a physical laborer and has no feeling for it, hence leaving an insufficiently cleaned tool cover at the crime scene.

Than
According to the jail's website, they do not. Latah County Jail has its own website, complete with ways to send $ or gifts to inmates and describing what's available for the one hour a day that each inmate gets outside their cell. Books, chin-up bar, etc. No mention of computers.

I've never heard of a jail with computers, personally.

Hopefully NorthIdaho or someone else will know more (but most people don't know much about what it's like to be in jail, even if it's near their house). IMO.

BBM Thank you for that information and helpful link. My husband is SERT Corrections Sergeant. I just learned the other day that inmates in my county will soon have iPads, which infuriates me. It has not yet been determined what the internet limitations will be (if any, although I cannot imagine there wouldn't be), but criminals will be criminals and find their way around it. I wasn't sure how far this progressed nationwide, and was curious whether BK or had access or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia