4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO If he took courses in digital evidence, MOO they aren’t going to find much digital evidence.
He can’t be that obtuse and have passed his courses.

Real live work of killing MOO there will be evidence, MOO because he is not used to a physical laborer and has no feeling for it, hence leaving an insufficiently cleaned tool cover at the crime scene.

You and I are on the same page. I do worry about the possible lack of digital evidence - although I don't know if he really studied the FBI's ways of retrieving things.

I am very much looking forward to the PH.

Than

BBM Thank you for that information and helpful link. My husband is SERT Corrections Sergeant. I just learned the other day that inmates in my county will soon have iPads, which infuriates me. It has not yet been determined what the internet limitations will be (if any, although I cannot imagine there wouldn't be), but criminals will be criminals and find their way around it. I wasn't sure how far this progressed nationwide, and was curious whether BK or had access or not.

Yeah, they did an experimental program at our biggest jail (where I was working as a researcher at the time) and allowed their most trustworthy inmates to have internet access (in a special room, under observation) and it still went south.

It turns out that many people, especially business owners, do not want private communication with people in jail. They don't want people in jail asking them questions or asking for a job. It was supposed to be only one online course that some of them were taking, but that's not what happened.

Keep us posted as to your husband's views on how it goes! We discontinued ours about 10 years ago. I think there's a small body of academic publication on the matter. If the iPad is just for, say, checking out library books from a predetermined group (the way you'd set it up for a first grader), it could work. But actual access to the internet can be a real problem.

(I looked and could only find one article, in which all access by devices was to pages inside the jail's own network).

IMO The bushy eye brow description (by DM) was in the PCA to further help establish time. Anyone who's expecting some dramatic "can you identify the eyebrows in the court room!" moment is going to severly disappointed. It's in there as almost an aside.

They want to help close the window of when the murders actually happened. This shadowy figure with bushy eye brows is the only thing that DM definitively saw. Everything else she heard, denied, and struggled with.

LE likely has much better evidence putting BK near or inside of that house during that window of time. Like the Bluetooth evidence that NewsNation keeps alluding to and the Wifi evidence Kaylee's Dad keeps hinting at. Both reported nationally.
Agreed. IMO, there's nothing in DM's description of the intruder that would lead a judge to believe the suspect could be identified by DM in a lineup or testify against him in the courtroom.

Totally random, and maybe someone has already posted about this before so I’m sorry in advance if this isn’t anything new but.. does anyone else find it interesting that the link to the pdf listing all DP certified attorneys on the Idaho Public Defense Commission’s website is no longer working? Thankfully one of the lists was captured on the way back machine on 1/28, so it’s still accessible that way but idk I just found it odd that they don’t want people seeing the list anymore. My guess is that concerned citizens were blowing up the emails of every other attorney in the state urging them to take AT’s place as BK’s defense attorney due to the “conflict of interest”.

Hmmm
IMO, one shouldn't exclude any possibility.

Who knows - maybe in his megalomania he thought he could "play games" with Police?

Weren't there criminals who sent letters to media/detectives?
Or puzzles to solve?

BK seems to me living in his "own twisted world of obsessions", and his elementary mistakes might not negate his wish to outwit LE.

With a perp like this, everything is possible.

JMO
Criminals that taunt police are usually experienced criminals--they've gotten away with crimes before without getting caught. Since it's starting to look like this might have been BK's first murder, I doubt he would have taken those kinds of risks, IMO. He might have been (overly) cocky about his crime knowledge, but not stupid enough to play games with LE on his first murder.

Criminals that taunt police are usually experienced criminals--they've gotten away with crimes before without getting caught. Since it's starting to look like this might have been BK's first murder, I doubt he would have taken those kinds of risks, IMO. He might have been (overly) cocky about his crime knowledge, but not stupid enough to play games with LE on his first murder.
How can we know what a perverted criminal might have thought?

<modsnip>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. If they refused to release HR records due to privacy laws, that might be understandable (and FOIA request might not require that) but the idea that they have no records cannot be correct, as they likely chose someone to hire.

The April 2022 police chief BK interviewed with retired in July.

I believe this FOIA request was for his fall 2022 application to the same department.

It will all come out eventually IMO.

But failure to properly respond to the FOIA is a problem. The city attorney, for one, would know this.

I'm not surprised by the stonewalling. Anyone who has worked in government knows these kinds of records are standard. Any records having to do with grant funding (which is likely here) & interviewing/hiring people are maintained.

Maybe the media will continue to fight for the info. Even so, I still doubt anything related to personnel matters would be released to the public.

JMO
BBM

That retired PPD police chief is the current interim WSU police chief, which is interesting, MOO.

I think I’ve shared this 8/17/2022 Daily Evergreen (WSU student newspaper) article before:
WSU PD sergeant faces hearing for sexual misconduct

“Gary Jenkins, retired Pullman Police Department police chief, will serve as WSU PD’s interim chief as WSU conducts a nationwide search for a new police chief, according to the WSU press release.”

ETA MOO

According to the jail's website, they do not. Latah County Jail has its own website, complete with ways to send $ or gifts to inmates and describing what's available for the one hour a day that each inmate gets outside their cell. Books, chin-up bar, etc. No mention of computers.

I've never heard of a jail with computers, personally.

Hopefully NorthIdaho or someone else will know more (but most people don't know much about what it's like to be in jail, even if it's near their house). IMO.
Can’t help — sorry. It’s been 5+ years since I last volunteered at the jail (adult literacy & GED tutoring).

Looking at things as one large picture (in hindsight, of course), BK moving to Pullman and getting a new phone number, as a 28 year old student, might be telling. It has the feel of a "fresh start," which there isn't anything inherently wrong with, but seeing how things sort of spiraled for him from there, it makes me wonder why he needed the "fresh start" to begin with, especially with a new number. The confrontation with students and staff, the troubles with his TA job, etc., don't feel as much like triggers as they do yet another signal of how he was functioning. I can't call them triggers to the murders, even though the timing might appear so, because I think the PCA is suggesting that BK started possibly stalking the King RD residence as far back as August 2022, not too long after he arrived. I'm sure there was a compounding effect with it all, but I'm curious. Why did he need a new phone number?
Interesting observations ! Aside note: in 2006 I made a fresh start to work in Portland, Ore from upstate NY . I lived across the river in Vancouver,Wa .No similarities per se , as I was 40yrs old and had been out on my own since age 22, and didn’t switch my NY mobile number . your observation about Fresh Start / Telephone is interesting. Food for thought

August 21, 2022 what happened that night? I can't stop thinking Aug 21 is significant.
BK moved to Pullman in August, started trying to make new friends, explored his new area looking for his "fresh start" life. UofI classes were set to begin on Monday, August 22; hghly likely there were Back-to-School parties the night before.
The PCA puts BK at/near Kings Road from 10:34 pm to 11:35 pm, then a traffic stop at 11:37 pm that same night.
What was BK doing there for that 1 hour?
Was BK a "Peeping Tom" or did he crash a party at 1122 that night?

My speculation only.
BK wanting to make new friends, drove around, saw a big party at 1122, went in/crashed it, was socially awkward self, got shot down by one of the roommates (Kaylee or Maddie). BK having been rejected/humiliated again, sped away--got pulled over (traffic stop) 2 minutes later. The house and the residents became BK's target that night, August 21, 2022.

JMO

So when Arun Dash, a 28-year-old engineering student at Washington State University, got a new downstairs neighbor in his Steptoe Village apartment complex in August, he understood why the stranger was eager to make friends. [BK] Popping in and out of Pullman coffee shops, dropping by local craft-beer establishments, and attempting to hang out with his neighbors......

PCA: on August 21,2022, the 8458 Phone utilized cellular resources providing coverage to the King Road Residence from approximately 10:34 p.m. to 11:35 p.m. Atapproximately I 1:37 p.m., Kohberger was stopped by Latah County Sheriffs Deputy CPL Duke, as mentioned above. The 8548 Phone was utilizing cellular resources consistent with the location of the traffic stop during this time (Farm Road and Pullman Highway) showed that on August 21, 2022, Bryan Kohberger was detained as part of a traffic stop that occurred in Moscow, Idaho, by CPL Dlke.

Monday, August 22, 2022
Deadline to Pay Tuition without Late Fees
Fall Classes Begin

Totally random, and maybe someone has already posted about this before so I’m sorry in advance if this isn’t anything new but.. does anyone else find it interesting that the link to the pdf listing all DP certified attorneys on the Idaho Public Defense Commission’s website is no longer working? Thankfully one of the lists was captured on the way back machine on 1/28, so it’s still accessible that way but idk I just found it odd that they don’t want people seeing the list anymore. My guess is that concerned citizens were blowing up the emails of every other attorney in the state urging them to take AT’s place as BK’s defense attorney due to the “conflict of interest”.

I'd imagine there are people out here using that list to do....god knows what.

According to the jail's website, they do not. Latah County Jail has its own website, complete with ways to send $ or gifts to inmates and describing what's available for the one hour a day that each inmate gets outside their cell. Books, chin-up bar, etc. No mention of computers.

I've never heard of a jail with computers, personally.

Hopefully NorthIdaho or someone else will know more (but most people don't know much about what it's like to be in jail, even if it's near their house). IMO.
Ethan Crumbley, the Oxford High School shooter, has access to a laptop in jail. SOURCE

And there's this:
In some states including Colorado, New York and Virginia, companies provide the tablets for free.

But in many cases, inmates have to pay for the services they use, which include email, video calls, and downloads of games, music, movies and books from a limited selection. They can also file prison grievances, access a law library or take job training courses.

All messages are limited in length and screened for security to prevent any unauthorized contact with the outside world.

MOO If he took courses in digital evidence, MOO they aren’t going to find much digital evidence.
He can’t be that obtuse and have passed his courses.

Real live work of killing MOO there will be evidence, MOO because he is not used to a physical laborer and has no feeling for it, hence leaving an insufficiently cleaned tool cover at the crime scene.
He must not have been that savvy with digital evidence, as he left his phone on and on his person when he went on his reconnaissance missions. You'd think he'd understand how tracking people with cell towers would work. Also apparently oblivious to the likelihood that his car would be seen on security cameras.

Interesting observations ! Aside note: in 2006 I made a fresh start to work in Portland, Ore from upstate NY . I lived across the river in Vancouver,Wa .No similarities per se , as I was 40yrs old and had been out on my own since age 22, and didn’t switch my NY mobile number . your observation about Fresh Start / Telephone is interesting. Food for thought
Could it be possible that BK didn't have a mobile phone before he moved? Unlikely, but possible...

I've been trying to think of anything we know about this case which confirms he had a cell phone prior to moving west, but I'm drawing a blank. Anyone else?

No shades on any of the back windows. D was a recent move to upstairs. I feel he knew whose room belonged to whom, but things weren't how he'd perceived them to be, once inside. The questionnaire he circulated could not have taken the unplanned, into account.

One of the youtubers, maybe the one who got access to the noise complaint videos, showed how that first floor bedroom was empty back in Aug and/or Sep in one of the videos. I don't think DM ever lived on that floor, it was assumed because it was originally reported that way. It may have been the bedroom of the sixth roommate who moved out several months before.

FWIW:

February 13, 2023

A source who had spoken to the eyewitness told NewsNation host Ashleigh Banfield that the eyewitness, who was one of the two surviving roommates living in the home, even yelled at her roommates to keep the noise down.

She allegedly yelled “calm down, you’re being loud!” and “I’m trying to sleep!” after opening her door, the source told the network.

The source also said that when the eyewitness opened the bedroom door and saw a mystery man, who authorities now believe was Kohberger, she did nothing because she assumed he had been a guest of her roommates.

Eight hours later, police were called to the house, where they discovered the bodies of Madison Mogen, 21; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Ethan Chapin, 20.

The details in the new report are notably different than the details shared in the probable cause affidavit last month.

That probable cause affidavit also differed from the initial account the Moscow Police Department provided to the public in the wake of the murders on Nov. 13.
This makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member