4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put thuds in the party noise category but that's me. ;)

But yeah, it's definitely not a good sound to hear when in the whimpering, crying and sobbing category. :(
agreed, but also something that does happen late at night after drinking… (not saying this is normal given the circumstances and what happened, but crying and sobbing isn’t necessarily out of the ordinary in a house full of girls) MOO

I understand. But it's a selection process, perhaps even a competitive one. And someone from a pool of candidates gets chosen.

Interns have some kind of formal supervision even if they are not paid, given an HR intro/paperwork, etc.

Some resources are used to supervise, provide work tools/space, etc.

Based on my workplace experiences of 35+ years in the private & public sectors, an answer of "we have no records" is ridiculous & untrue.

YMMV + JMO

My eldest daughter applied for an internship and was accepted. She was not paid. However, because her internship was one that would be dealing with a specific population and was working, basically, for the state, I'd guess there would be some sort of record-keeping of her work there. If she had not been accepted, most likely a letter of rejection would have been sent, along with a phone call, perhaps. The applications that were rejected, would most likely not be kept over several weeks/months. I feel that BK may have a red flag in his history that keeps rearing its head. Maybe he thought he could leave some things behind him, when he moved to a small town, over two thousand miles from his home.

Public records for federal, state, city and county government offices all have retention schedules based on the kind of document in question. States differ as to their retention requirements.

Below is the link to the State of Idaho's retention schedule policies. Scroll to page 30 for the retention requirements for HR documents in Idaho government agencies. It looks like employment recruitment files should be retained for 4 years after a recruitment process has been completed/closed.

Last edited:
I would think "party noise" might mean laughter, music, merry shouting .

Not whimpering, crying, sobbing, thuds.
JMO

I lived in a frat for 3 years. We had all kinds of stuff going on daily, but on weekends, I suppose you could say there were parties. But one of my strongest memories is of the woman downstairs from me sobbing. I mean really loudly. Many weekends in a row (she is now one of my oldest friends; she was learning that her BF was unfaithful - by going to parties and seeing him there with someone new; then coming back and sobbing).

That's how we met. I had an actual roommate who cried so much, we all just got used to it. No whimpering that I heard. But sobbing, thuds, crying, shrieking, etc, etc, every weekend and many weekdays too.

And rowdy dog noises too.

Thuds, bangs, minor explosions (Mexican fireworks), things tossed off the roof, people on the roof at all hours, just lots of noise. Of course, it was a much larger group than at 1122 King, but apparently, they had parties (seen in the body cam videos that are linked on the media thread) with more than 6 people. Always music and shouting, for sure.

I lived in a frat for 3 years. We had all kinds of stuff going on daily, but on weekends, I suppose you could say there were parties. But one of my strongest memories is of the woman downstairs from me sobbing. I mean really loudly. Many weekends in a row (she is now one of my oldest friends; she was learning that her BF was unfaithful - by going to parties and seeing him there with someone new; then coming back and sobbing).

That's how we met. I had an actual roommate who cried so much, we all just got used to it. No whimpering that I heard. But sobbing, thuds, crying, shrieking, etc, etc, every weekend and many weekdays too.

And rowdy dog noises too.

Thuds, bangs, minor explosions (Mexican fireworks), things tossed off the roof, people on the roof at all hours, just lots of noise. Of course, it was a much larger group than at 1122 King, but apparently, they had parties (seen in the body cam videos that are linked on the media thread) with more than 6 people. Always music and shouting, for sure.
Spot on. A stranger coming or going would not be out of the realm of possibilities. Not everyone knows everything about their roommates' overnight friends. At 4:30 a.m., he could have been just a guy doing the walk of shame. Especially since he did not even attempt to harm her.

Banfield said Ethan’s best friend discovered Ethan, took his pulse and then shouted out to call 911.
Do you remember which show this was? I'm not very familiar with her show and have only seen a couple of her reports on the ID murders.

Banfield said Ethan’s best friend discovered Ethan, took his pulse and then shouted out to call 911.
Here ya go :)

Sources with knowledge of the University of Idaho killing investigation told NewsNation's "Banfield" that Ethan Chapin's best friend found Chapin and Xana Kernodle's bodies. The same friend spoke to the 911 dispatcher. NewsNation's Brian Entin weighs in.

As hard-core sleuthers, I think we go through the varying emotions of the surviving victims (parents, extended family, obviously to a lesser extent) when it comes to these unjust, senseless crimes.

Right now this murder makes me mad A F

One of the victims – understood to be E – is said to have been lying on the floor on the second level of the three-story building.

It's understood the other victims, Kaylee, Madison and Xana, were discovered inside, with police sources telling DailyMail.com the scene was "the worst they’ve ever seen."

I had read this early on here, right after the murders. I'd not heard it was a friend who checked on him, but it's not surprising based on the circumstances surrounding the calling of 911 (calling of friends first).

Sources with knowledge of the University of Idaho killing investigation told NewsNation's "Banfield" that Ethan Chapin's best friend found Chapin and Xana Kernodle's bodies. The same friend spoke to the 911 dispatcher. NewsNation's Brian Entin weighs in.
Thank you!

It's all so sad. :(

What stood out of me was at the 2:25 mark (linked below) was that "kids came over to the home, and then 911 was called". Hopefully they didn't touch anything (likely they did) or compromised the scene at all because a bunch of kids aren't trained in crime scene protocol. I sure hope this case against BK wasn't tainted by them running around the house doing whatever a bunch of (likely) freaked out kids would do. I just really hope they backed out and left things untouched. All MOO

Did anyone watch to see if Ms Banfield shared the 911 call details? I didn't see anything on you tube or twitter.

I had read this early on here, right after the murders. I'd not heard it was a friend who checked on him, but it's not surprising based on the circumstances surrounding the calling of 911 (calling of friends first).
The early stuff included a roommate seeing the murder dressed in black clothing and a mask and going back to bed. Further stories early on included friends coming over for plans with Ethan, or being summoned over, and finding the scene.

It's all so sad. :(

What stood out of me was at the 2:25 mark (linked below) was that "kids came over to the home, and then 911 was called". Hopefully they didn't touch anything (likely they did) or compromised the scene at all because a bunch of kids aren't trained in crime scene protocol. I sure hope this case against BK wasn't tainted by them running around the house doing whatever a bunch of (likely) freaked out kids would do. I just really hope they backed out and left things untouched. All MOO

yes, that could pose an issue, but, hopefully, he merely took E's pulse, and backed out of the house, then calling 911. IIRC, when LE got there, they were all standing around outside. I've not heard any mention of more than one person in need of assistance, during the 911 call. This leads me to believe that they may have called out for other roommates, who did not answer, and felt they should get out of the home immediately. Of course, 911 can advise a person to stay with a victim, or they may advise them to leave the home and wait outside, especially if they felt no pulse. The time span from when the friends got there, E's pulse was checked, and the 911 call made, would be interesting to know. I don't think I've heard that stated, officially, yet. When my friend was killed, the person(s) who found them, was told to check for a pulse. There was none. 911 then asked them to try and turn my friend over, and attempt CPR. At this stage, the person who called, can be heard telling the 911 operator that, basically, it was not possible to turn them, b/c rigor had started. At that point, IIRC, they were told to wait outside of the home until LEOs and an ambulance arrived.

The early stuff included a roommate seeing the murder dressed in black clothing and a mask and going back to bed. Further stories early on included friends coming over for plans with Ethan, or being summoned over, and finding the scene.
Yes, I'd be interested to know the specifics but I think LE is trying to hang tight to as much info as they can. I understand that, but, I would also like to know more details. Not that I think the roommate is involved, but due to such wide gaps in time, how many people, did they walk through the home, did they find the other roommates' bodies, etc... which I'm sure are details that are meant to be left out for now.

...Can you answer my question about whether a penalty phase trial is needed if he pleads guilty to first degree murder? I know the DA can drop the DP in exchange, but my question is whether there is another process by which the DP could be removed from the table OR if the DA insists on the DP, does it not go, at least, to a judge? What's the process?
Your question must await the response of someone better qualified, I'm afraid. But at least I found a set of instructions about the sentencing phase of an Idaho death penalty case - which clearly contemplates that a jury will determine the death penalty even if the defendant has entered a plea of guilty to the charge of DP eligible murder in the first degree:

ICJI 1700 Death Penalty Sentencing Instructions

Introduction

These instructions are for the Special Sentencing proceeding in Capital Cases, at which eligibility for a death sentence and imposition of a death sentence are considered.

Some of these instructions assume that there is a single murder victim involved in the case. Appropriate modifications should be made when there is more than one murder victim.

Some of these instructions assume that the defendant has been convicted after trial. Appropriate modifications should be made when the defendant has pled guilty.

I'm glad we finally have a source on this. I've been waiting for a lot of those details to be reported so I could talk about it here. (will still tread carefully, of course).

Worth noting that the info cited in that article was floating around shortly after LE arrived at the scene. Students were (predictably) talking about it immediately after.

I am not sure about Idaho but in Ky., one can plead guilty, and agree to the DP as their sentence. This happened in the Chapman Case.
"In August 2002, Marco Allen Chapman entered the home of Carolyn Marksberry and stabbed her and her three young children, resulting in the death of two of the children. Mr. Chapman told authorities that he “bound Ms. Marksberry with a vacuum cleaner chord and gagged her with duct tape.” --- "Mr. Chapman wrote the trial court asking to “dismiss his attorneys, waive a jury trial and sentencing, plead guilty to all charges, and be sentenced to death," --- "The court noted that a trial court is not obligated to accept plea agreements, regardless of whether the plea calls for the death penalty. In reviewing the trial court's acceptance of Mr. Chapman's plea, it upheld the death sentence because it was based on appropriateness for the crimes, and not on the defendant's wishes or plea agreement. Because of the careful scrutiny required in accepting such a plea, the court found that it is not possible for a defendant to use capital punishment to commit “suicide by court.”

More recently, in the case of David Sparks, and his guilty plea, regarding the death of Savannah Spurlock. That case was not only statewide, it went worldwide. DS was not up for the Death Penalty due to the case not having certain "aggravator" charges, that are required for a DP trial, in the state of Ky. However, the judge gave him the maximum sentencing, allowed by law, IIRC. So he really got nothing for his plea, except, I think, that his mother would not have to sit through her son's murder trial. He seemed to care, somewhat, that he'd disappointed her. He has never released the details of "why" or "how" SS was murdered.
Sparks was arrested for Spurlock's murder and later indicted by a grand jury. In September 2019, he pleaded not guilty to murder. Sparks now admits to acting alone, tying Spurlock up, wrapping her in plastic bags and burying her in the yard of that Garrard County home. The details of why and how Sparks killed Spurlock have not been released.

According to Garrard County court records, Sparks pleaded guilty to murder for a sentence of 50 years, tampering with physical evidence with a sentence of five years, and abuse of a corpse with a sentence of 12 months to be served concurrently. The document said Sparks acted alone in the "intentionally caused death" of Spurlock.

What Happens If I Plead Guilty at an Arraignment?

If you plead guilty at your arraignment, there will be no need for a trial. You will receive your sentence at the judge’s discretion, and your charge could range from the minimum to the maximum amount of jail time. It is generally not recommended to plead guilty.

On the off chance that BK decides to plea, without a jury trial, the sentencing for the charges will be in the hands of the judge, alone. BK has nothing, like DS, to make a plea deal with. He might get the DP off the table, with a full confession, and guilty plea, as it would benefit the state, and Latah County. By pleading guilty to his charges, it would be saving them the monetary costs of a trial, putting everyone through a very traumatic trial, and getting the case wrapped up and DS out of their county jail, and into prison for LWOP. IANAL so this is all just theory based on other cases/trials.

A stranger coming or going would not be out of the realm of possibilities. Not everyone knows everything about their roommates' overnight friends.
This is so true and yet another reason that the surviving roommates cannot be judged, IMO. What's normal when you're in college with a bunch of roommates is very subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member