4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 73

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. But still strange that he had that flashlight on him at his parents' house. Makes me think that he may have been attempting to "be prepared" in case LE came from him. My darker thoughts make me wonder if he was staking out another person in PA.

Regardless, "Defiant" is a hell of a name for the flashlight he had on his person at that late hour. As a writer, that just floors me. Couldn't have written that. What a crazy detail.
Stupid comes to mind when I think about BK, but even so, I don't think he'd be so stupid as to commit another murder at this point and time. JMO. :)

Last edited:
There are six names redacted--3 attorneys and their 3 clients. My first thought was that the names are the families who haven't been vocal. However, the attorney who is quoted later says he expects that his client will be a witness and that he expects "the decedents families" will be witnesses, so clearly he isn't an attorney for one of the families. D.M.s full name is too long to fit into the redacted blank, at least for that attorney.

It seems odd that he was fully dressed with shoes on for it being a middle of the night raid? And with a flashlight and gloves on him…so strange. If I’m interpreting “on his person” correctly.
Since he had been observed by LE to be thoroughly cleaning out his car and disposing of the "cleanings" in his parents' neighbors' trash can in the "middle of the night" within the few days prior to his arrest, maybe it was just more of the same and he was still in the throes of disposing and/or planting evidence to throw off LE, and he always wore this "nighttime prowler gear" after hours. JMO

The Nikes were size 13. That is a BIG shoe and not that common. If the "Van's style" shoe print could be show to also be a size 13 it includes BK as the possible leaver of the shoe print. Also, a size 13 is sometimes hard to find. One might be able to trace size 13 shoes purchased and if the person did not pay cash, you might get a hit that BK owned a pair. MOO and speculation.
I think 13 is fairly common these days but supposedly average for US men is 10.5 (reference includes a bar graph of shoes sizes for US men and women)

I think 13 is fairly common these days but supposedly average for US men is 10.5 (reference includes a bar graph of shoes sizes for US men and women)
Yes, average for men is supposed to be 10.5.

In the United States, the average shoe size in men is thought to be around 10.5.

IMO JMO if they had a full footprint instead of the one faint one mentioned in the PCA, they would know which type of shoe he was wearing. The PA warrant just says 'diamond sole' so that's even more generic. The diamonds aren't even going to leave close to the same print. No mention of expert ID re the shoe is another clue. If they had all sorts of footprints and a full one at that, an FBI expert could have IDd the footprint like they IDd the car. imo jmo.

night owl gene... I have it, and I naturally am up very late when I'm left to my own devices and no need to roll up to work.

If his body was still on Washington time, it would have been 1 am on West Coast when he was arrested at 4 am PA time. He was probably still awake or just got asleep at time of arrest.

IMO JMO if they had a full footprint instead of the one faint one mentioned in the PCA, they would know which type of shoe he was wearing. The PA warrant just says 'diamond sole' so that's even more generic. The diamonds aren't even going to leave close to the same print. No mention of expert ID re the shoe is another clue. If they had all sorts of footprints and a full one at that, an FBI expert could have IDd the footprint like they IDd the car. imo jmo.
When items are seized they have to go through a strict chain of command so as not to contaminate and jeopardize the evidence and the investigation.

Everything is bagged and labeled and documented carefully as the evidence moves to be processed through the forensic lab then to be stored in the police station evidence locker.

The clothes BK was wearing could only be taken as evidence if he took them off.
Is it possible that LE made him take his clothes off so they could put them into evidence?

I do not think so because in Pennsylvania to search a person LE needs a search warrant that specifically names the person being searched. However, LE must make sure the person arrested does not have any weapons or anything illegal on their person.

".....name or describe with particularity the person or place to be searched

That's every search warrant - basic 4th amendment, but some states (like WA) have even greater protections. https://leg.wa.gov/CodeReviser/pages/waconstitution.aspx (no road blocks in
WA, for example).

All warrants must all describe place/person to be searched, things person to be seized, and there must be a nexus to the crime.
Wild guesses aren't allowed. No spitballing. Volumes (literally) of case law on this topic. It's why the separate shed is listed. Search the shed without a warrant, and say goodbye to that evidence.

This link includes examples of what happens when the warrant doesn't have all of those things:
hopefully these links are allowed.

How can a person function with so little sleep?
We don't actually know how much sleep he gets. Students and professors don't work 9-5 jobs, and often have a lot of flexibility in picking their schedule. I chose my area of focus for my minor based on which required course was at a time I preferred. I remember noting over Thanksgiving break one year that my natural schedule shifted after just a few days to sleeping 4 am to noon -- a full 8 hours of sleep.

But to answer your question, people are just built differently. There are some who say they only need 4 hours sleep a night (I feel like this is often very successful people who will boast about this). And while I'm not one of those people, I can function quite well on little to no sleep for short periods of time, and function just fine on 4-6 hours sleep for extended periods of time. They've actually revised it to say adults only need 6-7 hours sleep.

I used to have a neighbor who worked for the FBI. She met her husband when he was a sanitation collector and she enlisted his assistance in a case. True story.

Apparently it’s allowable, and covered in the FBI Operations Manual.

That article is from 2011, and it's critical to look at state law and the situation. It's not a simple answer.

They had the ability to search and look for all those things and all they came up with was that tiny list that was seized?

Can someone clarify, is trash something that they could seize and only note in the actual file? If they grabbed whatever BK put in the neighbor's trash can, that doesn't have to go on any kind of search warrant because it was trash and no search warrant required, correct?

Garbage searches are weird. Depends on the state, where the garbage is place, yada yada. There is no simple answer.
I did a quick search for PA and looks like it is if placed out for pick up: Commonwealth v. Irvin, PICS Case No. 16-0205 (Pa. Super. Feb. 8, 2016) Stevens, J. (19 pages). | The Legal Intelligencer

WA not so much. Where was it, who had access, etc.

State v Rodriguez, the Court concluded that Mr. Rodriguez had no privacy interest in garbage placed in the community dumpster serving his apartment complex.  Rodriguez, 65 Wash.App. at 418-19, 828 P.2d 636.

Great case to read is State v Thang, the bloody socks and the hosts trash can - gives a solid look at what and why. it's a WA state case, so relevant. State v. Thang

also, State v. Boland

[3] We find under the facts of this case that defendant Boland's private affairs were unreasonably intruded upon by law enforcement officers when they removed the garbage from his trash can and transported it to the police station in order to make it available to state and federal narcotics agents. Boland's trash was in his can and sitting on the curb in expectation that it would be picked up by a licensed garbage collector. This leads us to the conclusion that it falls squarely within the contemplated meaning of a "private affair". While it may be true an expectation that children, scavengers, or snoops will not sift through one's garbage is unreasonable,

Since he had been observed by LE to be thoroughly cleaning out his car and disposing of the "cleanings" in his parents' neighbors' trash can in the "middle of the night" within the few days prior to his arrest, maybe it was just more of the same and he was still in the throes of disposing and/or planting evidence to throw off LE, and he always wore this "nighttime prowler gear" after hours. JMO
Yes! It hadn't occurred to me until I read you post, but I'm sure you're right. He always wore his nighttime prowler gear!

Buccal swab?

It is a kind of test kit for genetic testing.

JMO
A buccal swab is a swab from inside the mouth. The items were probably what he was wearing when he was arrested. Except for the flashlight—which may or may not be a UV flashlight. Fl is used to highlight bodily fluids Pom surfaces; apparently you need to apply a chemical to get blood to show. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89