4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rather intrigued that the list states that, among other things, he had "on him" at the time of the raid to arrest him: ONE CHEEK SWAB.
Really? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm at a loss to understand why he had would have on his person a cheek swab. I assume that it was an unused cheek swab, but maybe it was someone else's used cheek swab, and he had it with him in order to substitute that one for his own, should he be arrested...Maybe I'm giving the suspect a little too much credit, but despite racking my brain to come up with a reason why anyone would be carting around on their person a cheek swab for any non-nefarious reason (or even a nefarious one really). Any thoughts - I'd be very grateful if you could enlighten me. TIA
The receipt list for the parents' home lists 4 swabs, even though they presumably weren't actually found in the family home, but rather, they were taken from ??? at that time... so doesn't it make sense that they may have listed a swab taken from the accused and put in an evidence bag along with his attire taken from him at same time?

Pennsylvania police and the FBI seized a dozen items from the home of Bryan Kohberger’s parents in eastern Pennsylvania, including black clothing and his size 13 Nike shoes, and also took a DNA swab of the Moscow homicide suspect’s mouth, according to an unsealed search warrant released Tuesday and obtained by the Idaho Statesman.

The search warrant also states that one buccal swab was taken from Kohberger. Jennifer Coffindaffer, former FBI agent, told Newsweek on Tuesday that she thinks the reason investigators did the buccal swab on scene is because "they wanted it quick."

"They wanted to get it and get it under a search warrant. We just know when you get things under a search warrant, there's no way you can lose it," Coffindaffer told Newsweek.

According to Coffindaffer, Kohberger would have been required under law to agree to the buccal swab on scene since it was in a search warrant.

"Once you have a search warrant, there's no discussion," Coffindaffer added.

The receipt list for the parents' home lists 4 swabs, even though they presumably weren't actually found in the family home, but rather, they were taken from ??? at that time... so doesn't it make sense that they may have listed a swab taken from the accused and put in an evidence bag along with his attire taken from him at same time?

Pennsylvania police and the FBI seized a dozen items from the home of Bryan Kohberger’s parents in eastern Pennsylvania, including black clothing and his size 13 Nike shoes, and also took a DNA swab of the Moscow homicide suspect’s mouth, according to an unsealed search warrant released Tuesday and obtained by the Idaho Statesman.

The search warrant also states that one buccal swab was taken from Kohberger. Jennifer Coffindaffer, former FBI agent, told Newsweek on Tuesday that she thinks the reason investigators did the buccal swab on scene is because "they wanted it quick."

"They wanted to get it and get it under a search warrant. We just know when you get things under a search warrant, there's no way you can lose it," Coffindaffer told Newsweek.

According to Coffindaffer, Kohberger would have been required under law to agree to the buccal swab on scene since it was in a search warrant.

Yes. Absolutely.
Rapid DNA takes 90 minutes.

Thank you Degirtni. That makes sense.

I think his drug use was in the past, not current. He seems to have been on a more natural "kick."

His rehab dates back a decade.

I'm suspicious he was worried about possible DNA being found on the knife sheath, thus, he was doing whatever he could to mitigate that damage.

Except that they confiscated green leafy stuff in a baggy during the search. Most of the time, that translates to pot.

'Apparently'
I doubt he was sorting anything when they busted into the house -- most likely standing up and then face down on the ground. Maybe or maybe not sorting before that, thus the apparently? Edited to add: There is a kitchen door - no idea if they broke in that way too, but if they did BK wouldn't have time to do anything other than stand up (if he wasn't already).

"MAJ. CHRISTOPHER PARIS | PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE: There were multiple windows that were broken I believe to gain access, as well as multiple doors."

Last edited:
How.... odd.

Can you imagine if his mom or dad came downstairs for a drink of water, or a bowl of ice cream, and found their son wearing latex gloves, hunched over the garbage and sorting it into baggies in the middle of the night? If that doesn't make a parent go HMMMM.... I don't know what would!
I wonder why he didn't separate his trash in the 1st place? What made him get up @ 4 am and do it then? Did he wake up in a cold sweat and suddenly fear that the FBI was sitting out front, ready to check the trash cans?

That may all be true. I think part of the confusion comes from the recent article that lists the swab in a list of things preceded by the words "The warrant shows he had on him at the time" implying he had all those things on him at the time, including the swab. I think the reporter just goofed as that is likely not true. As others mentioned baggies aren't listed as being on him not were they collected then. But a flashlight was? Unless it was a flashlight worn on his head or around his neck, that doesn't make sense.

Coffindaffer makes a big deal above of having the warrant for DNA. The search warrant allows for collection of four DNA swabs and/or blood from BK, not one. It doesn't mention the parents so I don't see that any of the remaining collected swabs could be from them.
JMO

A few random thoughts about this Monroe County prosecutor's report about what BK was doing at the time police raided his family home:

-Very good catch U.N.Known, when you note the official said 'apparently'; that sounds like hearsay, rumor, etc., as if he had heard that from somewhere/someone; is it true?

-Is anyone seeing on the item receipt list from the parents' house, mention of zip-loc baggies? (If so, I must have missed that item(s), however I did see the receipt list from BK's vehicle noting zip-loc baggies; if that is what BK was doing WHEN he was caught during the raid, wouldn't it have made sense to gather those/the zip-loc baggie(s) in question? If not, why not?)

Monroe County Officials Share New Details About Idaho Murder Suspect's Arrest)
Snipped your long post for focus. I agree - I checked the lists of item seized and there are no zip lock/plastic bags of trash listed as seize from the PA house. It makes sense to me that if BK was bagging rubbish in this way at the kitchen table when the warrant was executed, those baggies would have been taken. Just as the baggies were taken from the car when searched under warrant. MOO but I am taking note of that word apparently in the MSM report under discussion.

I agree about the raids for worst-case scenarios. After days of surveillance, surely they noticed a pattern of activity. With no imminent threat, why not wait until daylight when he exited the house? I saw a home after a SWAT raid. The suspect was also a relative staying temporarily. The house was damaged inside and out. My friend, the neighbor, was hiding in her house because of how unexpected and loud it was. They thought there was an attack going on. Imagine what the people inside were feeling.
My guess is...and I know there were questions about why he wasn't picked up sooner, was they were worried about the possibility of him destroying evidence...just my guess...

That may all be true. I think part of the confusion comes from the recent article that lists the swab in a list of things preceded by the words "The warrant shows he had on him at the time" implying he had all those things on him at the time, including the swab. I think the reporter just goofed as that is likely not true. As others mentioned baggies aren't listed as being on him not were they collected then. But a flashlight was? Unless it was a flashlight worn on his head or around his neck, that doesn't make sense.

Coffindaffer makes a big deal above of having the warrant for DNA. The search warrant allows for collection of four DNA swabs and/or blood from BK, not one. It doesn't mention the parents so I don't see that any of the remaining collected swabs could be from them.
JMO
Things on him? It is possible those items were in a backpack which could be considered a personal item...I am just guessing but some of the random things collected seem like items that would be placed in a backpack or something that would give LE PC to seize the items...as for DNA, they had his fathers (or familial) so they may have had warrants to rule out possibly? Random guessing on my part.

I'm going out on a limb here. How does anyone know if BK might have ALWAYS separated his personal trash into separate baggies or not? Maybe he's just that way. My FIL used to check the door around five times to make sure it was still locked from a minute and a half ago before he was convinced it was locked and could leave(he started that, it lasted for about 3 years, then stopped and only ever checked once after). People can do some odd things.

I'm just saying, is it odd? Sure. Is it something he just started? Who knows? Maybe his parents would have come downstairs, got their bowl of ice cream and said, "Hey, BK, we have extra zippy bags in the pantry if you need more." Then he would have sorted his zippy bags by color or size or contents and done whatever with them. ("Here's some Kleenex for the crabby neighbors two doors down, here's some green stuff for Mrs. Smith's garden....)

He HAD to know that if anyone could figure out enough to come looking for his DNA, hiding it in zippy bags wasn't going to keep them from it, right?;)
Agreed. People do odd things and BK is an odd dude. However, since we've already heard that he was hiding his trash in the neighbor's bins, it does make sense to me that he would put his trash in baggies and tuck those into the neighbor's bags. Otherwise, he's sneaking around at night with gross trash in his hands, sticking it in the neighbor's bins and his hand goes into who knows what. Ugh. If I was going to transport my trash from the kitchen to my neighbor's bin, I would definitely put it in baggies.

Things on him? It is possible those items were in a backpack which could be considered a personal item...I am just guessing but some of the random things collected seem like items that would be placed in a backpack or something that would give LE PC to seize the items...as for DNA, they had his fathers (or familial) so they may have had warrants to rule out possibly? Random guessing on my part.
I don't doubt they had the right to seize the things they did. So in that sense they were things he had on him. But I think the reporter's choice of words was confusing as they suggest BK already had one buccal swab "on him." That may have come from LE but I don't think they meant he had the actual swabbing apparatus on him when he was arrested. But looked at closely it's hard to know exactly what was meant. A mystery to me no baggies were taken in what was listed though.
JMO

I don't doubt they had the right to seize the things they did. So in that sense they were things he had on him. But I think the reporter's choice of words was confusing as they suggest BK already had one buccal swab "on him." That may have come from LE but I don't think they meant he had the actual swabbing apparatus on him when he was arrested. But looked at closely it's hard to know exactly what was meant. A mystery to me no baggies were taken in what was listed though.
JMO
It could be either who knows...LE very well could have brought the swabs if they were planning on getting anyone besides BKs DNA or it could be bad writing...the "baggies" are a mystery...and I don't see the big deal over a "leafy green item" that has been legal in PA since 2018, unless it is an endangered plant...it is almost like they published an overblown fake warrant to give people something to talk about.

Thanks much! I have been trying to download the released PA Search Warrant. I've got the list but still want the whole document. A lot more could come out before his June court date.
Here's a link to the PA Courts website and Cases of Public Interest page. Seems to be the PA equivalent of the Idaho Courts Cases of Interest page. I found the PA Search Warrant docs and relevent unsealed paper work here. Saves having to go through an MSM article to access the info IMO.

JMO
I 'assumed' that the flashlight and gloves on the receipt list taken from BK's 'person', were in his pockets. jmo. We also know that the four swabs were not found inside the family home, but were taken by LE.. so common sense, imho, would indicate same for his 'person' list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member