4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He hadn't been fired when he left for PA for Christmas break. The article cited above states the letter firing him was on Dec 19, after he was in PA. Also the article states the university didn't find wrongdoing with women as a reason he was fired. (That's stated after lots of anonymous stories about improper behavior are reported in the article.)
JMO
According to the article, BK had been under investigation by the University since September and had a second altercation with the professor prior to his trip to PA. He knew what was coming. The letter was a mere formality and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't tell his parents he had lost his job.

JMO

I did realize they asked for a pause. And I saw their reasoning. What I didn't catch is that they are asking for things they aren't entitled to have (I think I understand what and how now, after your post and a re-reading of the documents).

So what happens if, due to all these motions, trial must be delayed but Kohberger hasn't asked for delay and asserts his right to a speedy trial? What will the Judge have to do? What does a Judge do if the speedy-trial asking defendant also deploys delay tactics?

Wouldn't the Judge simply rule that the right to a speedy trial was thereby waived? It seems that legal actions should speak louder than words.

What do you think???

The judge will stop the speedy trial clock to accommodate the motions if absolutely necessary.

You have so many days to have a speedy trial but the judge has at his disposal various court remedies that come into play that he can use that will stop the speedy trial clock.

So if your trial is scheduled for 90 days and the speedy trial clock Is stopped it'll add some extra days to that like you might be able to have your trial in 100 days instead of 90 days it's gonna give you more time legally.

The court cannot under any circumstances go past Bryan's speedy trial date or his charges will be dismissed. The judge will never let this happen. The Judge will make sure Bryan has his trial in the allotted mount of time.

The Judge can balance it all out and stop the speedy trial clock when necessary and when allowed to do so by law and the bottom line of it is that this is a big thing that judges do. They run their courtrooms to get everything done so that the defendant can get to their trial on time.

This happened in the Idaho Lori Vallow case. The judge had to navigate all the motions and get her to trial on time.

The judge dropped the death penalty for her due to her prosecution screwing up.

The judge will deny defense motions if necessary because he will not pussy foot around and let the speedy trial clock run out. Defense motions that are using any "stall tactics" or are "wasting" speedy trial time.

This is what I think.

Last edited:
According to the article, BK had been under investigation by the University since September and had a second altercation with the professor prior to his trip to PA. He knew what was coming. The letter was a mere formality and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't tell his parents he had lost his job.

JMO
That may or may not be true. We don't know. But the original post I responded to said he'd been fired before he went home. And the evidence in the link provided said he was fired after he was back in PA. That's all.

An awful lot of time on WS has been spent expressing the view that BK doesn't pick up on social cues and doesn't grasp what others grasp in various kinds of situations. His ongoing conflict with Prof Snyder suggested he may not have "gotten it" there either (although that was not a fun-looking TA IMO based on the professor's vague and inconsistent statements on his syllabus. Ugh.) Regardless, given his general cluelessness, I'm not ready to assume BK figured out his work situation before he was told. But we'll probably eventually find out what transpired timewise with the university.
JMO

Not to investigators and I was only responding to the endless debate that his trip home at Christmas meant something other than a trip home to spend time with family.

I would read more into it if there was some indication that there had been an abrupt change of plans either way but at the time I made my statement, it was based on something I had read ages ago that indicated that the trip back with his father had been planned.

Not to investigators and I was only responding to the endless debate that his trip home at Christmas meant something other than a trip home to spend time with family.

I would read more into it if there was some indication that there had been an abrupt change of plans either way but at the time I made my statement, it was based on something I had read ages ago that indicated that the trip back with his father had been planned.
I read that too, and it was discussed way back here, that he and his father (according to a "family friend" IIRC, not comfirmed or open source) had planned the road trip back to PA ahead of time, earlier that Fall.

His father flew out to a major city in WA (Spokane maybe) the day or two before they left to drive back to PA together.

It still doesn't mean anything much to me, if the trip was planned ahead or days before, but maybe it does to the prosecution.

For example, if they think BK's 1st semester there was intended to position himself close to the murder victims and that was planned ahead, then he committed the murders towards the middle of his 1st semester, and his trip home at the end of his 1st semester a month and a few days after their murders was planned ahead, as sort of an escape hatch/convenient reason to leave the area, it could be germane to their case against him, IMO.

ETA: The planning ahead part, if it occurred, could be why LE was looking so far back in time in some of the sealed warrants (e.g. the data oriented ones re SM accounts, e.g., was there cyberstalking by BK or communications with any of the victims ahead of him applying to that program and then moving there) to much earlier in 2022 and even 2021, IIRC.

MOO

Last edited:
I read that too, and it was discussed way back here, that he and his father (according to a "family friend" IIRC, not comfirmed or open source) had planned the road trip back to PA ahead of time, earlier that Fall.

His father flew out to a major city in WA (Spokane maybe) the day or two before they left to drive back to PA together.

It still doesn't mean anything much to me, if the trip was planned ahead or days before, but maybe it does to the prosecution.

For example, if they think BK's 1st semester there was intended to position himself close to the murder victims and that was planned ahead, then he committed the murders towards the middle of his 1st semester, and his trip home at the end of his 1st semester a month and a few days after their murders was planned ahead, as sort of an escape hatch/convenient reason to leave the area, it could be germane to their case against him, IMO.

ETA: The planning ahead part, if it occurred, could be why LE was looking so far back in time in some of the sealed warrants (e.g. the data oriented ones re SM accounts, e.g., was there cyberstalking by BK or communications with any of the victims ahead of him applying to that program and then moving there) to much earlier in 2022 and even 2021, IIRC.

MOO
This is off subject and random, but I wonder if BK felt anything when he saw his dad for the first time after he'd killed those four people.

I saw a number of items in the latest release: This one stands out:

From the objection to States motion for protective order:

There is no connection between Mr. Kohberger and the victims. There is no explanation for the total lack of DNA evidence from the victims in Mr. Kohberger’s apartment, office, home, or vehicle.

Thank you for highlighting that! I don’t think we knew that before, IIRC? So apparently it’s confirmed— none of the victims’ DNA was in BK’s car. Of course it had been cleaned after his drive back to PA, but still….

From the Objection to States Motion for Protective Order:

One area of the investigation had to do with white sedan seen on camera located at 1112 King Road first glimpsed by officers on November 18, 2022. By November 25, 2022, police believed the car to be white Elantra and asked law enforcement to be on the lookout for one. Precisely how the police came to believe the car was an Elantra is still unknown. A report from an analyst for the FBI dated March 21, 2023 shows the analyst heavily relying on video of car heading in the wrong direction and at the wrong time on Ridge Rd.

edit: copy/paste left out an A

MOO he is charged and arrested of a crime in that jurisdiction, he left that jurisdiction.
MOO the fugitive charge will be dropped if he is found not guilty.

If he was arrested, bailed in Idaho and then left he would be skipping bail.

He was NOT arrested and charged at the time he left that jurisdiction. You are not considered a fugitive from justice for leaving town if you weren't arrested or charged with anything and you have every intention to return. If that were the case, then anyone who lived in Pullman but committed a crime across the state line in Moscow, then returned home would be considered a fugitive from justice. I can understand it may have been a technical term they needed to use to extradite, but that doesn't make it an accurate depiction of what happened here.

MOO.

I saw a number of items in the latest release: This one stands out:

From the objection to States motion for protective order:

There is no connection between Mr. Kohberger and the victims. There is no explanation for the total lack of DNA evidence from the victims in Mr. Kohberger’s apartment, office, home, or vehicle.

There is an explanation, MOO taking effective measures to ensure no transfer occurred.
By this point most people would be aware about transfer, and basically take bio hazard precautions.
MOO The DNA on sheath was simply good luck for the victims and police that 1) the killer lost it and 2) the snap on it was likley so hard to do that even after cleaning it retained DNA.

JMO

I'm not sure that's relevant to the fugitive from justice language. Even the police admit he was planning to return.

MOO.

He was NOT arrested and charged at the time he left that jurisdiction. You are not considered a fugitive from justice for leaving town if you weren't arrested or charged with anything and you have every intention to return. If that were the case, then anyone who lived in Pullman but committed a crime across the state line in Moscow, then returned home would be considered a fugitive from justice. I can understand it may have been a technical term they needed to use to extradite, but that doesn't make it an accurate depiction of what happened here.

MOO.
MOO the date of the crime is the date the perpetrator started evading capture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13