4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this case went to trial and I was a juror with little to no knowledge of the murders (and yes, in the case of Lori Vallow, jurors were found who had that same level of knowledge of her case, must to everyone's shock), I would be very confused upon hearing the evidence and then looking over at the defendant; a young man who presents as clean-cut, could be a professional lawyer, engineer, accountant, etc. in his suit/tie and his hair gelled. In the beginning, especially, I would wonder if they arrested the right person. As time progressed, I would, no doubt, become horrified but I still believe that a "WHY" would enable me to process the information in a logical manner. Maybe the evidence, in and of itself, would provide that WHY.
BK reminds me of Christian Bale in that movie American Psycho. I don't think he presents as clean cut or professional, there is something so 'off' that just looking at him makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Jurors try cases every day without the WHY of motive. Sometimes it just isn't clear cut other than the person is evil.
Look at some major serial killers; BTK, Ted Bunny, Green River Killer, Zodiac. WHY did they kill? Because they wanted to.

Don't forget we haven't heard all of the evidence against BK, so the WHY may become more clear at trial.

MOO

I agree, @DrQ.

Regarding premeditation, it's spelled out in black & white in the indictments.

All 4 felony murder charges are written out as 1st degree murder with premeditation.

As well, the 5th felony burglary charge is specific to BK breaking & entering their home with intent to commit the 4 felony murders in the 1st degree with premeditation.

So LE had evidence of premeditation that was presented to the GJ by the prosecution and that evidence was sufficient at that time for the GJ to indict BK on 4 charges of premeditated 1st degree murder.

Links above and in the case documents and in the Media No Discussion thread.

Just pointing this out again in case anyone missed it, not directed at you, just elaborating on your mention of premeditation.

MOO
By the time he was to Victim number four, he was telling them, "it's okay, I'm going to help you." (If that's how it played out per the information in the PCA). IMO, it's going to be pretty hard to prove that he wasn't premeditating to kill her when he said that, and in turn, it would be hard then to believe the three before her weren't premeditated. JMO.

Posting for clarification purposes only.

Regarding the reddit survery, noted in the PCA and frequently commented on as being reflective of intent to commit crime / murder. MOO.

Said "Crime Research Study" was conducted by three people. BK was the Student Investigator, there was a Co-Principal Investigator and the Principal Investigator was Professor Bolger. All three were noted in the study and their DeSales email addresses were included. There is nothing, IMO, that shows this was anything other than a research project conducted with assistance from two other individuals. As the professor notes, it was a routine questionnaire in criminology .

I personally don't see anything outstanding much less menacing or that implies motive or premeditation. Therefore, IMHO, it doesn't tell us anything other than the fact that BK was a psychology, criminal justice student doing research in his field of study. MOO

"Bolger said she advised Kohberger with his thesis, which involved questioning people about their thoughts and feelings during the commission of a crime."

“I was one of the professors who helped Bryan with his proposal on his graduate thesis, his capstone project. He did put out a routine questionnaire for his thesis. It looks weird, I understand from the public view. But in criminology it’s normal,” she told the Daily Mail."

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it’s not every day someone who puts out this sort of thing is accused of a brutal quadruple murder. So Occam’s razor isn’t quite Occam’s razoring (yes, I made that last part up) for me when it comes to this particular subject.

But still…if I poison someone with arsenic, and LE finds out that Im a chem major and a bio minor who took a bunch of classes where I studied the effects of arsenic…..I don think anyone would deny that it might be relevant.

I borrowed the above premise from what seems like every other Forensic Files episode.

MOO

I should clarify and be more to the point…

If Im trained at a job or study something academically. And im suspected of using parts of my training or studies in preparation or in committing a crime. That’s relevant…

Agreed. Can't help but think with Monday's alibi deadline looming he will say he was studying. JMOO

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it’s not every day someone who puts out this sort of thing is accused of a brutal quadruple murder. So Occam’s razor isn’t quite Occam’s razoring (yes, I made that last part up) for me when it comes to this particular subject.

But still…if I poison someone with arsenic, and LE finds out that Im a chem major and a bio minor who took a bunch of classes where I studied the effects of arsenic…..I don think anyone would deny that it might be relevant.

I borrowed the above premise from what seems like every other Forensic Files episode.

MOO
Agree that it's not something that happens often, and I think it could potentially confuse things. With BK's browser history, books, writings etc, so much could be tied to his studies and interests but not specific to the murders. Or at least not obviously specific to them (not ruling out that some things could be though).

Since the PCA mentions the questionnaire, it seems like they might attempt to tie it to his possible motive. Of course I expect them to bring up his academic background and interests, but personally, I believe they're going to have to do a lot better than that. And I'm inclined to think that they will. I just don't see the survey as something that implies guilt or something that would necessarily benefit the prosecution. MOO.

edited to add a couple of words.

MOO regarding BK's survey for his thesis as a grad student at DeSales, I just so happened to read up on what I could find about it's scope recently, and it brought up some questions for me that I'll share here for what it's worth.

This is going to be a long post, also dovetailing in some related info about academic programs, so please feel free to 'roll and scroll' if it's not of interest!

I know about the survey he posted on Reddit. I also thought I read somewhere back around January in an (online) MSM article, that he may have posted it on other forums, or maybe sent it to a few convicted criminals who were in jail maybe on a "communicate with prisoners" website, a modern day version of being pen pals kind of thing?

Or maybe that was someone else whose research he had reviewed that sent surveys directly to prisoners, and what I thought I read was that he maybe wanted to use web platforms such as Reddit to allow for a wider audience and more anonymity in the responses? I researched it and couldn't find anything from an approved source online anymore, so maybe it's not the case, so sorry no link, so just MOO.

I've read statements in MSM linked above and in the Media Thread No Discussion from his former professor / thesis advisor which indicated there was nothing unusual about his survey questions (paraphrasing here) within the context of their (DeSales) or a CJ degree program in general.

I understand what they (the former professor / thesis advisor) were getting at, that there's nothing nefarious in and of itself about the survey or questions in it in the context of a CJ program, and have no reason to doubt them in the context of their professional capacity to have an informed opinion on it, especially having known BK as a grad student in that program and having advised and collaborated with him for some amount of time.

Though IIRC, his entire Master's Degree was earned remotely online, and they never met him in person, so there is that missing piece perhaps, IMO, in their knowledge of him as a person, but maybe not germane to the survey in itself.

In an interesting parallel, but maybe offsides a bit from the survey, he earned his High School (HS) diploma without doing any learning on the campus of his HS in his sophomore, junior, or senior years in the same school where his parents both worked at the time.

In his sophomore and junior years of HS he attended an off campus Technical School where he spent some time (his sophomore year) learning about the HVAC trade, but then dropped out of that course of study, and studied other subjects as a junior. Then he spent his senior year attending classes entirely remotely and online. So he earned his HS diploma from his school with 3 years of no on campus classes, and the last year of no in person classes. Bryan Kohberger Completed High School Online for Reasons That Remain Unclear: Report

Back to BK's survey for his Master's thesis, what still stands out to me is maybe considered a "perception issue" about such a survey on such a topic by such an individual being "of note", and which I think can be explained in the context of some questions that begin with the words "what if?"

For example:

"What if" he garnered some info from the survey responses about how it actually feels to commit a crime, "in the heat of the moment", as it were, that meant more to him personally than academically speaking ? Because they were in answer to his personally authored questions, rather than someone else's set of questions ? IMO, reading a set of survey questions and answers someone else wrote and were responded to in that context of that study or thesis "field work" would not have the same oomph as my very own set of Q & As.

If I had seen his survey on Reddit, I would have had to wonder "who's the man behind the mask?" asking these kinds of questions, and more importantly why?

Just speaking from my own experience here, I designed, wrote, and conducted a survey in college for my thesis with some collaboration from another student who had achieved a higher level of academic prowess than I (they already had several related degrees) and our professor/advisor's oversight and approval.

We all designed, wrote, and conducted our own surveys in my degree program. It was required as what we called the "proveout", and was a key tool in refining our arguments and proofs of our theories and assumptions that were the basis for our thesis.

The survey questions were entirely unique to the underlying topic of our thesis. Our professor/advisor made us toss out any of our initial proposed "3 - 5" thesis topics we had sketched out in the narrowing down process to just 1, if they were too similar to other work in our field of study by other students or researchers. They had to have a premise that was unique.

Back to BK and his survey, I get that overall it was standard in his program and field of study as his professor stated. I don't know how they do it at DeSales, maybe it's completely different than at the universities I attended, but we had to personalize our thesis if it was similar enough to a common theme in our area of study so that it was unique, as I said.

What I might have lingering questions about is where the overarching topic of "feelings" criminals felt when committing a crime -- and if IIRC, paraphrasing here, "how they approached the victim and how they felt when using a certain approach" - e.g., snuck up on them versus face to face attack -- came into being the main, or one of the main, aspects of his survey, during his collaboration with the other 2 people.

Did BK prepare a number of possible survey thesis statements on topics in CJ he was interested in, and they were vetted and narrowed down with his collaborators/advisors to the one he proved out with assistance from the survey results (as many or few as he got, IIRC, less than 10?)?

Or did he just propose the 1 survey topic -- asking criminal's about their feelings during the commission of a crime -- and was given the go ahead by his advisory team because it was within the scope of his program and of interest at large to society in terms of psychology, which he got an undergrad degree in?

Or was it truly unique in that the "feelings" angle of the questions had not been asked before by someone else in the literature available to him or in a survey, and he was particularly interested in that aspect of the human psychology of people who commit crimes -- their feelings as they did the crime?

And only if so, that the real answer to the last question is yes, IMO, it seems reasonable to "put 2 and 2 together" and get 4, which is to speculate whether the questions he asked criminals to answer in his survey the year before he committed his own crimes, allegedly, may have been of import to him personally in addition or hand in hand with being of import to him as a current student of CJ/former student of Psychology.

Sorry for such a long post! It took a lot of verbiage to frame these questions and explain the reasons for my lingering speculation that possibly his thesis survey questions:
  • May not have been written "in a blind as a CJ scholar", and
  • May have had some personally informative aspects with special meaning to him about criminal's feelings, if he is the killer, because at the time, he was a "budding criminal", IMO.
All of that said, I should now admit my own discomfort or bias in not being able to relate to someone being interested in delving into the intimate details of how criminals feel when they plan and/or don't plan and/or commit their crimes because it's kind of a no-brainer to me.

They're obviously having strong feelings to let go of their inhibitions and/or better judgment and commit the crime, no?

And feeling a rush of adrenaline and excitement or a "high" from letting go of their inhibitions and acting on their impulses, no?

So whatever the triggering feelings (e.g., vengeance, hatred, jealousy, greed), it seems sort of obvious to me they would feel satisfaction and relief and probably some sick sense of glory that they did what they wanted to do.

And hand in hand with that probably goes the next phase of "the high", which IMO would be "can I get away with it?" and the glee they may feel if they can, and the worry they may feel about getting caught if they can't.

Maybe I'm missing something or that's a bit too trite, to presume it's pretty elemental, what a criminal feels when they commit a crime, but IMO, it's as old as time.

All MOO.

Last edited:
Agree that it's not something that happens often, and I think it could potentially confuse things. With BK's browser history, books, writings etc, so much could be tied to his studies and interests but not specific to the murders. Or at least not obviously specific to them (not ruling out that some things could be though).

Since the PCA mentions the questionnaire, it seems like they might attempt to tie it to his possible motive. Of course I expect them to bring up his academic background and interests, but personally, I believe they're going to have to do a lot better than that. And I'm inclined to think that they will. I just don't see the survey as something that implies guilt or something that would necessarily benefit the prosecution. MOO.

edited to add a couple of words.
Perhaps there's a reason it was mentioned in the PCA, but not related to the subject matter. Maybe it's more related to that specific reddit account, or a timeframe around reddit communications with one of the victims, something like that. Or maybe there are other communications (that we are unaware of) with these kinds of questions that start to show an obsession. Those are just guesses, but I just tend to think if it were mentioned in the PCA, it could be for reasons beyond our current understanding. JMO.

Perhaps there's a reason it was mentioned in the PCA, but not related to the subject matter. Maybe it's more related to that specific reddit account, or a timeframe around reddit communications with one of the victims, something like that. Or maybe there are other communications (that we are unaware of) with these kinds of questions that start to show an obsession. Those are just guesses, but I just tend to think if it were mentioned in the PCA, it could be for reasons beyond our current understanding. JMO.
Agree. And could also be related to potential responses he received to the questionnaire. DeSales would have gotten the initial message(s) (if there were any) since all three used their DeSales email accounts. But BK could have used his private email to continue interactions. Again MOO and assuming anyone responded to the questionnaire or continued contact.. But I'm not sure that kind of scenario would help the prosecution, unless BK talked to someone about wanting to kill. All MOO, IMHO.

MOO regarding BK's survey for his thesis as a grad student at DeSales, I just so happened to read up on what I could find about it's scope recently, and it brought up some questions for me that I'll share here for what it's worth.

This is going to be a long post, also dovetailing in some related info about academic programs, so please feel free to 'roll and scroll' if it's not of interest!

I know about the survey he posted on Reddit. I also thought I read somewhere back around January in an (online) MSM article, that he may have posted it on other forums, or maybe sent it to a few convicted criminals who were in jail maybe on a "communicate with prisoners" website, a modern day version of being pen pals kind of thing?

Or maybe that was someone else whose research he had reviewed that sent surveys directly to prisoners, and what I thought I read was that he maybe wanted to use web platforms such as Reddit to allow for a wider audience and more anonymity in the responses? I researched it and couldn't find anything from an approved source online anymore, so maybe it's not the case, so sorry no link, so just MOO.

I've read statements in MSM linked above and in the Media Thread No Discussion from his former professor / thesis advisor which indicated there was nothing unusual about his survey questions (paraphrasing here) within the context of their (DeSales) or a CJ degree program in general.

I understand what they (the former professor / thesis advisor) were getting at, that there's nothing nefarious in and of itself about the survey or questions in it in the context of a CJ program, and have no reason to doubt them in the context of their professional capacity to have an informed opinion on it, especially having known BK as a grad student in that program and having advised and collaborated with him for some amount of time.

Though IIRC, his entire Master's Degree was earned remotely online, and they never met him in person, so there is that missing piece perhaps, IMO, in their knowledge of him as a person, but maybe not germane to the survey in itself.

In an interesting parallel, but maybe offsides a bit from the survey, he earned his High School (HS) diploma without doing any learning on the campus of his HS in his sophomore, junior, or senior years in the same school where his parents both worked at the time.

In his sophomore and junior years of HS he attended an off campus Technical School where he spent some time (his sophomore year) learning about the HVAC trade, but then dropped out of that course of study, and studied other subjects as a junior. Then he spent his senior year attending classes entirely remotely and online. So he earned his HS diploma from his school with 3 years of no on campus classes, and the last year of no in person classes. Bryan Kohberger Completed High School Online for Reasons That Remain Unclear: Report

Back to BK's survey for his Master's thesis, what still stands out to me is maybe considered a "perception issue" about such a survey on such a topic by such an individual being "of note", and which I think can be explained in the context of some questions that begin with the words "what if?"

For example:

"What if" he garnered some info from the survey responses about how it actually feels to commit a crime, "in the heat of the moment", as it were, that meant more to him personally than academically speaking ? Because they were in answer to his personally authored questions, rather than someone else's set of questions ? IMO, reading a set of survey questions and answers someone else wrote and were responded to in that context of that study or thesis "field work" would not have the same oomph as my very own set of Q & As.

If I had seen his survey on Reddit, I would have had to wonder "who's the man behind the mask?" asking these kinds of questions, and more importantly why?

Just speaking from my own experience here, I designed, wrote, and conducted a survey in college for my thesis with some collaboration from another student who had achieved a higher level of academic prowess than I (they already had several related degrees) and our professor/advisor's oversight and approval.

We all designed, wrote, and conducted our own surveys in my degree program. It was required as what we called the "proveout", and was a key tool in refining our arguments and proofs of our theories and assumptions that were the basis for our thesis.

The survey questions were entirely unique to the underlying topic of our thesis. Our professor/advisor made us toss out any of our initial proposed "3 - 5" thesis topics we had sketched out in the narrowing down process to just 1, if they were too similar to other work in our field of study by other students or researchers. They had to have a premise that was unique.

Back to BK and his survey, I get that overall it was standard in his program and field of study as his professor stated. I don't know how they do it at DeSales, maybe it's completely different than at the universities I attended, but we had to personalize our thesis if it was similar enough to a common theme in our area of study so that it was unique, as I said.

What I might have lingering questions about is where the overarching topic of "feelings" criminals felt when committing a crime -- and if IIRC, paraphrasing here, "how they approached the victim and how they felt when using a certain approach" - e.g., snuck up on them versus face to face attack -- came into being the main, or one of the main, aspects of his survey, during his collaboration with the other 2 people.

Did BK prepare a number of possible survey thesis statements on topics in CJ he was interested in, and they were vetted and narrowed down with his collaborators/advisors to the one he proved out with assistance from the survey results (as many or few as he got, IIRC, less than 10?)?

Or did he just propose the 1 survey topic -- asking criminal's about their feelings during the commission of a crime -- and was given the go ahead by his advisory team because it was within the scope of his program and of interest at large to society in terms of psychology, which he got an undergrad degree in?

Or was it truly unique in that the "feelings" angle of the questions had not been asked before by someone else in the literature available to him or in a survey, and he was particularly interested in that aspect of the human psychology of people who commit crimes -- their feelings as they did the crime?

And only if so, that the real answer to the last question is yes, IMO, it seems reasonable to "put 2 and 2 together" and get 4, which is to speculate whether the questions he asked criminals to answer in his survey the year before he committed his own crimes, allegedly, may have been of import to him personally in addition or hand in hand with being of import to him as a current student of CJ/former student of Psychology.

Sorry for such a long post! It took a lot of verbiage to frame these questions and explain the reasons for my lingering speculation that possibly his thesis survey questions:
  • May not have been written "in a blind as a CJ scholar", and
  • May have had some personally informative aspects with special meaning to him about criminal's feelings, if he is the killer, because at the time, he was a "budding criminal", IMO.
All of that said, I should now admit my own discomfort or bias in not being able to relate to someone being interested in delving into the intimate details of how criminals feel when they plan and/or don't plan and/or commit their crimes because it's kind of a no-brainer to me.

They're obviously having strong feelings to let go of their inhibitions and/or better judgment and commit the crime, no?

And feeling a rush of adrenaline and excitement or a "high" from letting go of their inhibitions and acting on their impulses, no?

So whatever the triggering feelings (e.g., vengeance, hatred, jealousy, greed), it seems sort of obvious to me they would feel satisfaction and relief and probably some sick sense of glory that they did what they wanted to do.

And hand in hand with that probably goes the next phase of "the high", which IMO would be "can I get away with it?" and the glee they may feel if they can, and the worry they may feel about getting caught if they can't.

Maybe I'm missing something or that's a bit too trite, to presume it's pretty elemental, what a criminal feels when they commit a crime, but IMO, it's as old as time.

All MOO.
I don’t know if he posted or directed survey links to people outside of reddit, but he posted the survey link to numerous subreddits (some more than once) including ExCons, Prison, Prisons, PrisonTalk and Felons. His username and the body of his posts indicated he was a criminology student. He included an anonymous link to the survey, as well as his phone number and DeSales email address, describing himself as Student Investigator for the purposes of the survey.

If this case went to trial and I was a juror with little to no knowledge of the murders (and yes, in the case of Lori Vallow, jurors were found who had that same level of knowledge of her case, must to everyone's shock), I would be very confused upon hearing the evidence and then looking over at the defendant; a young man who presents as clean-cut, could be a professional lawyer, engineer, accountant, etc. in his suit/tie and his hair gelled. In the beginning, especially, I would wonder if they arrested the right person. As time progressed, I would, no doubt, become horrified but I still believe that a "WHY" would enable me to process the information in a logical manner. Maybe the evidence, in and of itself, would provide that WHY.
I understand why you say that. We do tend to assume a lot about a person based on how they look. But, despite some of the crazy mug shots we see released, monsters don't all look like monsters on the outside. If they did, no one would ever willingly go somewhere with someone who ends up killing them. No one would ever suddenly find out they've been married to a serial killer for the last XX years.

I personally have never seen a picture of Ted Bundy where he didn't look crazy as a loon to me (and I have looked) but he's been regularly described as handsome and charming. Even Charles Manson looked kind of handsome in some of his pictures. MOOooo

Agree. And could also be related to potential responses he received to the questionnaire. DeSales would have gotten the initial message(s) (if there were any) since all three used their DeSales email accounts. But BK could have used his private email to continue interactions. Again MOO and assuming anyone responded to the questionnaire or continued contact.. But I'm not sure that kind of scenario would help the prosecution, unless BK talked to someone about wanting to kill. All MOO, IMHO.
The reddit survey posts that were still posted as of the day of his arrest included only *his* contact info. It’s possible the anonymous survey responses routed to multiple people but no other points of contact were listed in the reddit posts.

Last edited:
The reddit survey posts that were still posted as of the day of his arrest included only his contact info. It’s possible the anonymous survey responses routed to multiple people but no other points of contact were listed in the reddit posts.
Actually I have it copied / saved on my computer, and on pg 3 it lists BK's email address; the name and email address of the Co-Principal Investigator, and the name and email of the Principle Investigator (Professor Bolger). I don't know if the full study is posted on here, but I know that's where I found it (and copied it from) - shortly after BK's arrest when it was discovered. I'm not sure that I can put it up on here (that section), but I'm looking at it the three names and email addresses. (All DeSales email addresses).

Edited to add: the wayback machine page doesn't show the full questionnaire, so that eliminates that option
Edited again to add that the survey, or more likely a copy of it, is still on reddit.

Last edited:
Actually I have it copied / saved on my computer, and on pg 3 it lists BK's email address; the name and email address of the Co-Principal Investigator, and the name and email of the Principle Investigator (Professor Bolger). I don't know if the full study is posted on here, but I know that's where I found it (and copied it from) - shortly after BK's arrest when it was discovered. I'm not sure that I can put it up on here (that section), but I'm looking at it the three names and email addresses. (All DeSales email addresses).

Edited to add: the wayback machine page doesn't show the full questionnaire, so that eliminates that option
Edited again to add that the survey, or more likely a copy of it, is still on reddit.
I stand corrected. I also have screenshots from reddit and only his contact info is listed, but these posts were not 3 pages long, so we might be discussing different things. Perhaps I didn’t see the posts you saw, or perhaps that information was nested within the survey. I did not click on the survey link when taking the screenshots.

I stand corrected. I also have screenshots from reddit and only his contact info is listed, but these posts were not 3 pages long, so we might be discussing different things. Perhaps I didn’t see the posts you saw, or perhaps that information was nested within the survey. I did not click on the survey link when taking the screenshots.
I literally copied and pasted onto a word doc which could explain the page number. Easier to look at reddit to see the full survey. It's not right at the beginning, but still in the intro part before the consent / don't consent options.

Thanks to you and all here for updating on the known details of the survey he posted, I didn't know a lot of that info.

IMO, there is a possibility BK could have interacted with posters on Reddit outside of the 3 DeSales email addresses about his survey.

MOO

Thanks to you and all here for updating on the known details of the survey he posted, I didn't know a lot of that info.

IMO, there is a possibility BK could have interacted with posters on Reddit outside of the 3 DeSales email addresses about his survey.

MOO
I agree - especially if someone caught his attention, and he (or they) wanted to talk privately... IMO

Ok, edited to add what I hope is an approved source showing the full survey, including the two who assisted BK

Last edited:
Do I recall this correctly: didn't he fall short of the project but was granted his Master's anyway? Some kind of "close enough"?

I would not be surprised to learn that every completed survey he got was generated and populated by himself, from public IP addresses all over town.

Do any of us really see him doing the legwork? Researching crimes, tracking down criminals, interviewing them in any real way? He could've just plugged in his own hows and whys.

If you ask me, his Master's Thesis was an exercise Inside the Criminal Mind... his. And he knew it.

Murder happened when he decided he didn't want to work at controlling his impulses anymore.

jmo

I understand why you say that. We do tend to assume a lot about a person based on how they look. But, despite some of the crazy mug shots we see released, monsters don't all look like monsters on the outside. If they did, no one would ever willingly go somewhere with someone who ends up killing them. No one would ever suddenly find out they've been married to a serial killer for the last XX years.

I personally have never seen a picture of Ted Bundy where he didn't look crazy as a loon to me (and I have looked) but he's been regularly described as handsome and charming. Even Charles Manson looked kind of handsome in some of his pictures. MOOooo
Thank you, that was my point. We do judge people based on their looks. Because everyone on these threads knows many details and information about these murders and BK, it's difficult to see him through the lens of a juror who has little to no knowledge of the case. Because the murders were so heinous and brutal, anyone would be hard pressed to be able to comprehend why someone would kill 4 innocent victims. Although the jurors would no doubt convict on the evidence alone, I still think the WHY would be that last piece of information that would keep coming up in the back of your mind.
The lack of a motive wouldn't impact a conviction, it's just being able to say, "OK, now I get it."

Do I recall this correctly: didn't he fall short of the project but was granted his Master's anyway? Some kind of "close enough"?

I would not be surprised to learn that every completed survey he got was generated and populated by himself, from public IP addresses all over town.

Do any of us really see him doing the legwork? Researching crimes, tracking down criminals, interviewing them in any real way? He could've just plugged in his own hows and whys.

If you ask me, his Master's Thesis was an exercise Inside the Criminal Mind... his. And he knew it.

Murder happened when he decided he didn't want to work at controlling his impulses anymore.

jmo
If I'm remembering correctly, he was given permission to present a narrative of the study instead of providing raw data. I might not be remembering it right, but I know it was discussed on here. I'm sure others recall the specifics more clearly than I do.

I don't think much, if any, legwork was required since it was designed for people to participate by answering the questions online. All he had to do was compile the answers and present them in whatever format required by his professor(s). No reason for him to research specific crimes either. But I think he might have been ok doing research - at least much better than things that required him to interact with a lot of people (such as being a TA).

Edited to add, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member