4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gitana's post is making me think about whether Kohberger somehow thought he only needed to have his phone turned off while he was in Idaho. As if he might have thought the most murder cases stay within the jurisdiction of the state where the murders occurred and as if that would keep Moscow PD from using cloud-based forensics to find out all his movements (and probably over more days than we know).

Makes me wonder if he really didn't know cloud-based forensics at all, and perhaps that's why the PD in Pullman decided he wasn't going to make a good intern (if they interviewed him by phone, mail or in person, they may not have thought him very knowledgeable).

I do wonder. The professor who called him brilliant did *not* teach cloud-based forensics.

I am just pondering. This is JMO.
I've said it a bunch of times now. That certificate course he took likely gave him that false sense of bravado. I think he far overestimated his technical know how.

Edit: There are other little gotchas he might not have thought of. If his hard drive/computers had HDD drives he would have had to 1) completely destroyed his hard drive in a shredder or 2) use a industrial grade wiper like DBAN or ShredOS to make sure all of his data is gone...Otherwise they'll likely recover data off of his drives too.

SSDs are a pain for law enforcement but if he didn't do two wipes of the drive there's a chance to recover data there.

If he just simply deleted files without completely wiping his machine....operating systems do all types of funky things with caches. I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't find a treasure trove of data on his hard drives and smartphone.

Last edited:
I've said it a bunch of times now. That certificate course he took likely gave him that false sense of bravado. I think he far overestimated his technical know how.

Edit: There are other little gotchas he might not have thought of. If his hard drive/computers had HDD drives he would have had to 1) completely destroyed his hard drive in a shredder or 2) use a industrial grade wiper like DBAN or ShredOS to make sure all of his data is gone...Otherwise they'll likely recover data off of his drives too.

SSDs are a pain for law enforcement but if he didn't do two wipes of the drive there's a chance to recover data there.

If he just simply deleted files without completely wiping his machine....operating systems do all types of funky things with caches. I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't find a treasure trove of data on his hard drives and smartphone.
So interesting you raised this because I have been very curious about those computers. They seized many computers.

MOO

The often overlooked pièce de résistance is BKs trip to Albertsons' the next morning. It's the punctuation mark (I'll let ya'll decide whether it's a period or exclamation) at the end of LE's cell + video argument.

The same cellular triangulation technology from the night before says the Elantra should be in the area of that Albertson's parking lot in Clarkston on that morning. Low and behold. A white Elantra pulls in, parks, the door pops open...

It's BK. In broad daylight.
Cell phone data alone has buried so many criminals. It’s the new DNA.

It seems like AT is using this case as a model case of protest against constitutional issues, like the Grand Jury and the Alibi Demand, and the Ancestral DNA search, etc.

But is the evidence and the basic facts of the case going to get lost in the process?

Is the basic question of Guilt or Innocence being deflected by the discussion of Grand Jury procedures and the like?
Thats the plan.
When the facts are not in your favor attack the law.

Gitana's post is making me think about whether Kohberger somehow thought he only needed to have his phone turned off while he was in Idaho. As if he might have thought the most murder cases stay within the jurisdiction of the state where the murders occurred and as if that would keep Moscow PD from using cloud-based forensics to find out all his movements (and probably over more days than we know).

Makes me wonder if he really didn't know cloud-based forensics at all, and perhaps that's why the PD in Pullman decided he wasn't going to make a good intern (if they interviewed him by phone, mail or in person, they may not have thought him very knowledgeable).

I do wonder. The professor who called him brilliant did *not* teach cloud-based forensics.

I am just pondering. This is JMO.
Thank you @10ofRods So glad you posted this. I've wondered if BK had the critical thinking required to reach conclusions that Professor Snyder was trying to develop in his students. Snyder may have thought BK was more advanced than he was. Maybe BK was good at memorizing what he read, even great at recall, amazing at repeating it in classes & speech contests. But he hadn't yet learned to analyze & interpret information on his own. That could be part of why he didn't make a good TA for Snyder at WSU. And why he made so many mistakes planning his crime.

JMO

"Professor Snyder .... 30-year law practice. During that career, he defended nearly every type of criminal case, from simple possession to First Degree Murder. As an instructor, he takes the events that lead to those cases and flips them to drive student analysis – what is important is not necessarily reaching the “correct” answer, but rather engaging and developing the critical thinking required to reach those conclusions. Professor Snyder particularly enjoys teaching the courses covering the intersection of police work and the courts........."
WSU Prof Snyder

As y’all know today is the day Honorable Judge will hear the motion to dismiss the indictment that accuses BK of murdering Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin.

Also a defense motion to complete discovery that seeks additional info from the State about DNA techniques used to tie Kohberger.

And motion defense asks to stop the case due to issues w/convening grand jurors.

State of Idaho v. Bryan C. Kohberger​

Latah County CR29-22-2805

Case Summary (Updated 07/31/23)

Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest

As y’all know today is the day Honorable Judge will hear the motion to dismiss the indictment that accuses BK of murdering Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin.

Also a defense motion to complete discovery that seeks additional info from the State about DNA techniques used to tie Kohberger.

And motion defense asks to stop the case due to issues w/convening grand jurors.

State of Idaho v. Bryan C. Kohberger​

Latah County CR29-22-2805

Case Summary (Updated 07/31/23)

Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest
I wasn't aware it was today. The Notices of hearing say 18th of August ? Totally open to this being posted up somewhere else but I think an Aug 2nd Hearing (for return of evidentiary items originally) was vacated? Moo

I saw that the summary had been updated yesterday so thought it might be a new listing there but nothing appears changed. It's easy to get lost in all the listings and over-look something like a vacated hearing so it's no biggie. Just glad to know the date wasn't changed because I couldn't follow today and would have to play catch up.

And we now know there’s evidence he actually purchased that knife from Amazon…
Do we though? I am not doubting you. I just think I missed something here. I know his purchase history from Amazon (among others) was in the search warrant, but was it ever definitively reported by LE that he purchased the K-Bar type knife through Amazon?

Do we though? I am not doubting you. I just think I missed something here. I know his purchase history from Amazon (among others) was in the search warrant, but was it ever definitively reported by LE that he purchased the K-Bar type knife through Amazon?

Not reported from LE, but via Dateline/Keith Morrison and their “sources”. After that, it’s up to each person to decide how much they trust Dateline’s sources. For some people, it’s an article of faith that Dateline has made things up in this case, not sure why when (as far as I know) they don’t have a history of doing so. I’m curious to see how it plays out, because Dateline does state pretty unequivocally that a knife and sheath were purchased by BK on Amazon. If not true, it will harm their rep.

I'm sorry I'm behind, but has someone linked the recent motion that's discussed in the below article? It says the D would have 10 days to comply? Is that correct? When will the judge rule on that?

Prosecutors request court compel information on potential Bryan Kohberger alibi in Idaho murders

Prosecutors in the case of Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of killing four University of Idaho students in the fall, have filed a motion asking a judge to compel his defense team to share information about his potential alibi.

The state's filing on Thursday came days after attorneys for Kohberger suggested he was not at the location where the crimes took place.

Last edited:
Not reported from LE, but via Dateline/Keith Morrison and their “sources”. After that, it’s up to each person to decide how much they trust Dateline’s sources. For some people, it’s an article of faith that Dateline has made things up in this case, not sure why when (as far as I know) they don’t have a history of doing so. I’m curious to see how it plays out, because Dateline does state pretty unequivocally that a knife and sheath were purchased by BK on Amazon. If not true, it will harm their rep.
Ah ha. Thank you. That is why it wasn't part of my "facts that we know", and I blocked it out. For me, "sources" without a name attached to it doesn't get put on my list of facts no matter which media outlet it is. JMO

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry I'm behind, but has someone linked the recent motion that's discussed in the below article? It says the D would have 10 days to comply? Is that correct? When will the judge rule on that?

Prosecutors request court compel information on potential Bryan Kohberger alibi in Idaho murders

Prosecutors in the case of Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of killing four University of Idaho students in the fall, have filed a motion asking a judge to compel his defense team to share information about his potential alibi.

The state's filing on Thursday came days after attorneys for Kohberger suggested he was not at the location where the crimes took place.
Sorry, answering my own post. This is all probably old news to everyone else, but I hadn't seen it. Court has not made an order yet.

https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...of-Defense-Alibi-Alt-Bar-Certain-Evidence.pdf

I see people complaining that if a single person is home alone all night, they have no alibi available. I disagree---

If he was a home alone, asleep, there could still be evidence of that. There'd be neighbours who saw him come ng home, or saw his car in the lot, or cameras that saw his car there, and his phone would ping in the apartment all night, and he might have ordered food in or spoken or texted someone that night, or his TV would have streamed a movie or his computer would have been used that night from home.

I know that Spectrum would be able to show that I used my TV at night, and for how long. And they'd know if I was using the wifi also, I believe.

IT experts would be able to check my computer and see that I was online, reading forums and answering e-mails. And I'd be using my cell phone at various times of the night.

If BK's alibi was that he was home all night, he could have said so and tried to gather corroborating evidence. JMO

<snipped>
If he was a home alone, asleep, there could still be evidence of that. There'd be neighbours who saw him come ng home, or saw his car in the lot, or cameras that saw his car there, and his phone would ping in the apartment all night, and he might have ordered food in or spoken or texted someone that night, or his TV would have streamed a movie or his computer would have been used that night from home.
Excellent points. And, since he was in campus housing, there might also have been security cameras showing whether his car was at home. Even in my middle-aged case, my computer would show me WSing and streaming either True Crime or crafting videos all evening. And Alexa would even show me telling her to turn the alarm off tomorrow morning. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
podreal