4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the students in Kohberger's class has come forward publicly to state that the entire class confronted Kohberger regarding the harsh grades he gave them over an exam. She stated that it was a very uncomfortable situation and that Kohberger stood his ground during the confrontation. This was 2 weeks before the murders and of course you can guess what she thinks - did they push him over the edge. The last time she saw him was after the murders and his appearance was markedly difference, i.e., very haggard. She attributed it at the time to his course work.

FWIW I don't think BK was driven by a desire to commit a perfect crime. I think BK was committed to committing the crime and wanted nothing to stand in his way. He may find his life exceedingly purposeful now, having completed his mission. I'm guessing he's watching this all unfold with familiar detachment, neither altogether bored nor intetested.

JMO

The much maligned fitting squad of BK the TA vs the entire population of his class is IMO neither the start nor the trigger for what followed.

From a practical standpoint, you're a professor. Perhaps you're getting bombarded with complaints about your TA. How much time would it take to have a sit down with each disgruntled student? A lot of time. How much time would it take to regrade the work and retrain the TA accordingly? There was no reason to think BK was violent, that he was homicidal nor, I'm guessing, any reason to think he couldn't handle a Q and A with students with diplomacy. It wasn't the set up that was troublesome; BK was troublesome. IMO he made it a stand off, he made it awkward, Betting BK doesn't like being challenged. So he quit trying, eventually giving out powderpuff grades. He's an all or nothing kind of guy IMO.

It was reasonable to address grading globally. It would have been reasonable to adjust his expectation, placate the students and his professor, in the spirit of growing into the position. He was in training and should've expected to be trained and retrained, as needed. Thousand ways he could have worked with the professor and the students, individually or collectively that could have... worked. He picked the one which showed how inflexible and untrainable he is, and IMO helped write the letter dismissing him.

For anyone shouldering guilt that they somehow pushed him over the edge, it only shows how caring they are, how capable of feeling remorse and taking responsibility, feelings most of can relate to, it's natural. You know who's probably not feeling any sense of remorse or responsibility? Yeah, the one who likely felt his outward life was a charade all along and decided one day to stop playing..

It was always just a matter of when.

JMO

One of the students in Kohberger's class has come forward publicly to state that the entire class confronted Kohberger regarding the harsh grades he gave them over an exam. She stated that it was a very uncomfortable situation and that Kohberger stood his ground during the confrontation. This was 2 weeks before the murders and of course you can guess what she thinks - did they push him over the edge. The last time she saw him was after the murders and his appearance was markedly difference, i.e., very haggard. She attributed it at the time to his course work.
Just for timing:

One of the students, Hayden Stinchfield, says on "The King Road Killings" podcast that this all happened after the class, taught by Kohberger, had its midterm examination sometime around "the end of September to the start of October."

BBM

None of those victims in that house had anything to do with his confrontation over excessive grading. I hope this woman can come to realize that nobody pushed BK over the edge except BK. I think he had been planning this long before the TA situation even happened, especially when you consider all the times he was driving by the King house.

BK's life seems always 'on the edge', he was extreme and never seemed to be able to fit in with any crowd. Heavy set, or rail thin. Champion debater, or stone cold silence. I can only imagine what more we may find out in the months to come.

A ticking time bomb.

ALL MOO

This was discussed in great detail back in May when this news first emerged. I don't recall all the details and different theories mentioned here, but it seemed like the grand jury was hearing a number of cases, and that BK's parents had been subpoened was likely related to another case, possibly related to the Idaho murders but involving something that took place in PA, hence summoned by a PA grand jury.

edited to complete post
Agree, and it's interesting that PA shared the GJ information with Idaho, that's highly uncommon. I believe there has to be some kind of link also.

MOO

Potential alibi... it's what the defense has to do to represent the interest of their client --

Accept and admit he was awake, he was driving around.

Refute the cellular accuracy.

Refute the DNA.

Refute the roommate's testimony.

Yes, he was driving around but the State can't prove he entered the house, let alone killed anyone (the defense could argue).

Uphill battle because essentially they'd have to refute or get the judge to throw out the Prosecution's entire, careful case.

It's a defense. It's just not going to be an effective one.

Jmo
Yes @Megnut
Hope you are right that it will not be an effective defense.
IMO The D has to get the touch DNA Thrown-out/Questioned/Refute the DNA to stand a chance.

The D might concentrate on what is not there
or fittingly the NO-Defense:
NO alibi--our great system does not require one
NO confession
NOcturnal pattern of living-witnesses verify this Accept & admit he was awake, he was driving around.
NO good car images/ faulty images/ wrong identification/any other white car
NO license plate number
NO cell phone data at exact time of murders. Refute the cellular accuracy.
NO BK fingerprints, blood, body fluids at scene
NO victim DNA in BK's car, home, office
NO knife--murder weapon
NO Vans-style shoes collected
NO reliable eyewitness Refute the roommate's testimony.
NO bushy eyebrows (BK trims eyebrows for trial)
NO identity for 3 unknown possible other male suspects at scene
NO SM connection to victims
NO criminal history
NO motive
NO direct proof
NO reason to charge BK much less convict--exonerate

What Magnet said "refute or get the judge to throw out the Prosecution's entire, careful case" by focusing on what is missing hopeful to get reasonable doubt.

List lover. JMO

edit words

Last edited:
One way someone "might" have evidence is if they picked up their phone at 2am after they got up to pee.

That movement (which is trackable in the phone) would be recorded and data minable.,
A Fitbit or Apple Watch can also count steps and heart/sleeping rhythms. I wonder if BK wore one since he was such an avid runner?

The link I posted contained this item:

"In a shocking new development on Thursday, Kohberger's parents were subpoenaed to appear before a grand jury investigating the case."

Question: If there is no evidence BK is involved, why are his parents being subpoenaed about the disappearance of Dana Smithers?
The only other reason I can think of that his parents may be called in for grand jury testimony is if they are witnesses to some event or evidence relating to their case. It would be one hell of a coincidence for his parents to be involved in two different murder cases not related to one another. This is clearly just my opinion but I'd like to know the odds on this seriously. Edited to add that it would make sense if the grand jury was not related to this murder but to the ones their son is accused of.

None of those victims in that house had anything to do with his confrontation over excessive grading. I hope this woman can come to realize that nobody pushed BK over the edge except BK. I think he had been planning this long before the TA situation even happened, especially when you consider all the times he was driving by the King house.

BK's life seems always 'on the edge', he was extreme and never seemed to be able to fit in with any crowd. Heavy set, or rail thin. Champion debater, or stone cold silence. I can only imagine what more we may find out in the months to come.

A ticking time bomb.

ALL MOO

Why anyone murdered four random strangers because they received criticism at work? That's an extreme response, don't ya think?!

So the rebuttal is that the sheath DNA was planted? It sounds like they will be looking for jurors that don’t trust law enforcement.
That goes to my post about what is reasonable. Why would LE pick BK out to frame him? Not reasonable. He left his sheath at the murder scene with his DNA during the commission of the murders? Reasonable.

Not counting all the other corroborating evidence. I believe that jurors are smarter than that.

IMO

A ticking time bomb.

ALL MOO
I totally agree - It just goes to show how so many innocent people were impacted by this case, whether directly or indirectly.

The article linked is a little unclear because the article puts an alibi and an extradition comment one after the other. IMO Labar's comments are referencing the extradition of BK from PA. The quoted statement refers to a decision being easy.

From the article quote: it (extradition) was an easy decision: MOO

Knowing of course that it's likely they have location data from his cell phone already putting him on the border of Washington and Idaho,' LaBar told CNN, 'it was an easy decision obviously, since he doesn't contest that he is Bryan Kohberger.'

From another article:

All the commonwealth needed to prove is that his client resembles or is the person on the arrest warrant and that he was in the area at the time of the crimes, Monroe County Chief Public Defender LaBar told CNN’s Jean Casarez.

This is really interesting from the article about BK's family and how they are devastated by all this:

He made eye contact with and nodded to his family seated in the first row of the courtroom behind the defense table as officers brought him in.

Kohberger’s mother and father sat on either side of his sisters, accompanied by a representative from the public defender’s office, and when the judge told Kohberger he faces charges of murder when he returns to Idaho, his mother collapsed into his sister’s arms, both sobbing openly.

A ticking time bomb.

ALL MOO

That's not how it works though. It's what the victims *represent* to the perpetrator not who they literally are.

JMO but I personally do believe the group confrontation of BK over marking was a cowardly way of the college to handle a sensitive and obviously very tense situation. They should have stepped in far earlier, far more clearly, and directly, with constructive criticism, guidelines, areas for improvement, and some consequences if no change.

Whomsoever's responsibility to manage BK and / or the students in this issue woefully failed both sides IMO.

The much maligned fitting squad of BK the TA vs the entire population of his class is IMO neither the start nor the trigger for what followed.

From a practical standpoint, you're a professor. Perhaps you're getting bombarded with complaints about your TA. How much time would it take to have a sit down with each disgruntled student? A lot of time. How much time would it take to regrade the work and retrain the TA accordingly? There was no reason to think BK was violent, that he was homicidal nor, I'm guessing, any reason to think he couldn't handle a Q and A with students with diplomacy. It wasn't the set up that was troublesome; BK was troublesome. IMO he made it a stand off, he made it awkward, Betting BK doesn't like being challenged. So he quit trying, eventually giving out powderpuff grades. He's an all or nothing kind of guy IMO.

It was reasonable to address grading globally. It would have been reasonable to adjust his expectation, placate the students and his professor, in the spirit of growing into the position. He was in training and should've expected to be trained and retrained, as needed. Thousand ways he could have worked with the professor and the students, individually or collectively that could have... worked. He picked the one which showed how inflexible and untrainable he is, and IMO helped write the letter dismissing him.

For anyone shouldering guilt that they somehow pushed him over the edge, it only shows how caring they are, how capable of feeling remorse and taking responsibility, feelings most of can relate to, it's natural. You know who's probably not feeling any sense of remorse or responsibility? Yeah, the one who likely felt his outward life was a charade all along and decided one day to stop playing..

It was always just a matter of when.

JMO
This is what I think,
MOO professor getting nowhere explaining to a TA (BK) that grading is done to the exact material presented in class or the reading. (Not adhering to this is not totally uncommon when a student first takes the role of teacher.)

In any case BK remained insistent that students should already know certain things.
Professor then thinks maybe it wil help BK to hear it from the students directly, professor still on BKs team, trying to get him to see what the job of teaching is.

But BKs lack of insight is more profound that anyone could guess.

And in another strange decision not to take his academic career seriously, BK squandered the opportunity to "talk to the students directly" by treating the meeting as a debate instead of listening.
This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
So the rebuttal is that the sheath DNA was planted? It sounds like they will be looking for jurors that don’t trust law enforcement.

Planted denotes something is done deliberately.

This is putting the horse before the cart.

They had to have his real - not planted - DNA to even know who he was. They had no idea who he was.

Last edited:
Planted denotes something is done deliberately.

This is putting the horse before the cart.

They had to have his real - not planted - DNA to even know who he was. They had no idea who he was.
Yup. The sheath DNA was collected and sent out long before they ultimately matched it up to BK. No amount of shoddy police work, or even dirty cops, could make that happen.

Am I losing it or did I read somewhere that he was in danger of losing his place in the PHD program over this? I think this is the reason I feel like he planned this to see if he could pull off the perfect murder. He comes off as arrogant and makes me feel like he thinks he’s smarter than everyone. Maybe it’s just my own dark mind that makes me see this but still..I could be right. IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members