4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #90

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for your amazing discussions of genetics.

By the way, ‘gallus’ in this context should be the domestic chicken. ;)

You are absolutely right. And I looked it up after I posted. Then I went and looked at the chicken gene for hemoglobin in that data and was not surprised that it's the most distinctive. But I sure didn't know that the Latin name for...Chicken...was Gallus.

from gremlin444's excellent post - thank you for the transcription - I know those are a lot of work!

"And it's our understanding that once a SNP is put into one of these databases, the database adjusts the SNP to fit what their criteria are for them to do their searches. So there are there differences between the two, the entirety of the two SNPs.""

IMO, the above is a layman (Thompson) trying to describe translation of the SNP from one format to another database format. He doesn't explain exactly how it is translated, although he says "the database adjusts the SNP to fit what their criteria are." All we can say is that somehow the SNP they received from the lab in Idaho was translated into the correct format for the GG company's database in Texas. Then when the FBI took over the SNP it received the one from the GG company in Texas which appears to be different from the one from the lab in Idaho due to the translation even though it is the same data.

What I would like to know next is where was the GG match to the Kohberger family made? Was it made in Texas or at the FBI Forensic DNA Analysis Lab at Quantico? Has anyone seen any news articles that explain exactly where the identification was made?

You are absolutely right. And I looked it up after I posted. Then I went and looked at the chicken gene for hemoglobin in that data and was not surprised that it's the most distinctive. But I sure didn't know that the Latin name for...Chicken...was Gallus.
O/T I did, but only because of one of the best storytellers on the internet.

gallusrostromegalus.tumblr.com/post/16828418023

So many of your favourite epic stories on the internet probably were originally told by them.

(You'll have to put in the http :// yourself, because with it there, the site tried to put the entire page into my post, it was very large. I had no idea it would do that.)

MOO

(NewsNation) — The parents of University of Idaho victim Kaylee Goncalves have fought to hold off the demolition of the home where she was killed.

The physical house will no longer be destroyed this semester, the university said. However, the intention to eventually demolish it remains.

Goncalves’ mother, Kristi, told NewsNation senior national correspondent Brian Entin on Friday that her desire for the university to hold off on demolishing the house was strictly for the prosecution’s benefit, saying it’ll be “good for the case.” However, she said it’s still going to be “very emotional” for her when it’s demolished.

“We have pictures of them in the house. When that house goes, it’s gonna be hard. I don’t want to go in. I’ve never even been to the house. I’ve never drove by it. I don’t want to,” she told Entin.

1699203800871.png

Idaho house demolition will be 'very emotional': Goncalves’ mom
https://t.co/aHEAANslPv

I went back and watched. It kind of started when AT said that she believed there was missing information from the "private" (and we all know which one) lab's profile. Then she said that she had received in discover a SNP profile that she believed came from "private lab" and that it is not in the "general format that those come out in." She said it was not a FASTQ file but a different kind of format/file, and she said that it was a much smaller data file than the FBI's data file. She emphasized that she thinks the private lab's file/profile that was provided to the defense was "missing something."

The the judge said something like "Oh, I thought there was only one SNP profile and now I'm hearing there are two?"

quoting as best as I can hear from the not so awesome audio:

Bill Thompson said, "That's correct, your honor and the difference is that the one
from the private lab is the initial profile the private lab analyst created from the DNA portion of the DNA sample. Then what was transferred to the FBI was after that
original SNP had been uploaded into a database, access to the database was transferred. And it's our understanding that once a SNP is put into one of these databases, the database adjusts the SNP to fit what their criteria are for them to do their searches. So there are there differences between the two, the entirety of the two SNPs."

He then asks Attorney Nye, since he is knowledgable in this area, to jump in and correct hi if he's not stating it clearly.

BT continues, "So in an excess of caution we wanted to make sure the defense had both-- had the original SNP that the private lab created, and also the SNP (that?) was transferred via the transferring of the database to the FBI."

He then says, "We are told, we understand, that like I just said the databases adopt (* I think he meant "adapt"*) the SNPs to their search *audioblip*, and so they're going to look slightly different."

Judge J then asked Attorney Nye if he wanted to add anything to that, and Nye said no, he thought he was very well said.

AT then requests 2 things (which I'll discuss out of order):
1) She wants Judge J to explain what he means by in camera review and wants to know what the judge is going to do if he needs help understanding the info. She wants to make sure that there's not an FBI agent there with Judge J as he's trying to understand all this stuff and asks for him to clarify what he would do if he needs external help.
2) She wants the Judge to make a list (not the content though) of everything he gets from the State that he will then be going through and using to make his decision and then give it to her. Because she wants to make sure Judge J has a full packet of information upon which to make his decision. She specifically mentions:
--things like the raw data snip profile from "private lab"
--the communications between private lab and the FB--not the content, just that you have those
--the statistical analysis that happen within the profiles when making decisions when the genetics genealogists make decisions about the family tree
--the bioinformatics for the micro array
--the court should include that the FBI complied with requirements in MyFamilyTree

Judge J makes no promises to provide her with this privileged log of content. He says he might, it just depends on how things go. He also says that if he brings in an independent expert, he will let both sides know.

Mr. Thompson then replies that he is concerned about the list of things AT mentioned because based on the prosecution's understanding, there are items that AT thinks that should be there but that won't be because either
1) those things can't be provided to the State because they aren't kept per FBI protocol or
2) the defense has a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between SNP profiles and traditional DNA comparisons, and how that process works. "We start talking with statistics, and those sorts of things don't necessarily apply in the investigative geneology world, so I don't want there to be false expectations. I certainly don't want the court be misled that things of relevance exist that do not...I was just just reacting to the laundry list of things the state was reciting that based on what our experts
told us, don't necessarily exist in an investigative genealogy SNP analysis. They may exist in a traditional STR DNA analysis, and those are two separate and distinct processes. They do not overlap at all, so we want to make sure that there's no confusion because
some of the things have been submitted by the defense don't accurately talk about the distinction."

AT replied that she does not want the judge to think she was trying to mislead the court or that she is misunderstanding or making things up in that list. "A lot of that
  • comes from expectations based on reading Department of Justice policy that was included for the court with our briefing before the August 18th hearing. A lot of that information comes from the testimony of the two genetic genealogist experts that we put on and the
    information that they provided to the court at the hearing. These aren't made up things. We absolutely understand that the genetic genealogy investigative process is different than what the Idaho State Police lab does with STR profiles, but there's analysis that happens along the way in building out these family trees to identify somebody
    that was talked about in deposition."

BT then replies, "I'm not suggesting that they are trying to mislead the court. It is our position that they have been provided with information that's not accurate and it's creating false expectations. And I don't want the court to be misled by that and to have expectations that are not accurate."

I do hope that Judge J does get an independent authority on DNA and IGG analysis to come talk to him who can explain things in a similar fashion to 10 of Rods. IMHO, BT was a bit inaccurate in his word choices. And I think Judge J SHOULD be allowed to have someone from the Justice Dept AND the FBI come and verify what procedure is and how it is followed in actual practice.

Thank you so much for this. What an effort - a great post.

It sure sounds like an unusual find might have been made in BK's DNA and that Othram then researched that single SNP more thoroughly. There's new research and new alleles found all the time (indeed, this entire GG process, with so many online purveyors) means that more and more people are submitting their DNA for analysis to third party sites. We're at the point where researchers work with all these GG services to get STR data to find new markers (point mutations within an allele) in all this user-provided data. 23andme only shares with external researchers if a person opts into that.

And if that's true, it would be scientifically irresistible to want to put that allele into the (Othram) database (not related at all to the STR results or the ISL work). That caused them to append an extra file to the results. I can only imagine the curiousity and probable excitement of the Othram and Moscow LE people as this final piece of the SNP puzzle dropped into place - Kohberger might well have shared an unusual allele with this more distant Kohberger relative (we don't know how distant - I'm thinking not all that distant, since there aren't a lot of Kohbergers in the US and they appear to be related (I would assume on their paternal line, since it's a surname passed on the paternal line obviously).

It's interesting to think about this other Kohberger, who put their STR results into Othram, a database whose only purpose is to do forensic work and whose users all sign a use agreement that permits sharing with LE. Othram as you all probably know is designed to find missing persons and catch criminals. It allows both scientists and LE to access its 1 million or so SNP system. I am guessing that most users there are from the US - might be able to contact them and find out. But that would mean that about 1% of the adult population of the US is in that database. That's pretty good coverage, for the task at hand (the FBI's STR database is from felons and unknown sex offenders via rape kits and other forensic evidence).

Interesting fact: the early research from the FBI database (30 years ago, at this point) helped scientists understand that certain genetic patterns are associated with being on Death Row (IOW are correlated with very violent criminality). The early findings were not nearly as specific as what we know now, but right away, we saw certain biological markers and began to research how and why those situations resulted in greater criminality.

We still don't have a complete answer - but you might say we have a fundamentally better understanding of who might commit violent crimes.

Thank you so much for this. What an effort - a great post.

It sure sounds like an unusual find might have been made in BK's DNA and that Othram then researched that single SNP more thoroughly. There's new research and new alleles found all the time (indeed, this entire GG process, with so many online purveyors) means that more and more people are submitting their DNA for analysis to third party sites. We're at the point where researchers work with all these GG services to get STR data to find new markers (point mutations within an allele) in all this user-provided data. 23andme only shares with external researchers if a person opts into that.

And if that's true, it would be scientifically irresistible to want to put that allele into the (Othram) database (not related at all to the STR results or the ISL work). That caused them to append an extra file to the results. I can only imagine the curiousity and probable excitement of the Othram and Moscow LE people as this final piece of the SNP puzzle dropped into place - Kohberger might well have shared an unusual allele with this more distant Kohberger relative (we don't know how distant - I'm thinking not all that distant, since there aren't a lot of Kohbergers in the US and they appear to be related (I would assume on their paternal line, since it's a surname passed on the paternal line obviously).

It's interesting to think about this other Kohberger, who put their STR results into Othram, a database whose only purpose is to do forensic work and whose users all sign a use agreement that permits sharing with LE. Othram as you all probably know is designed to find missing persons and catch criminals. It allows both scientists and LE to access its 1 million or so SNP system. I am guessing that most users there are from the US - might be able to contact them and find out. But that would mean that about 1% of the adult population of the US is in that database. That's pretty good coverage, for the task at hand (the FBI's STR database is from felons and unknown sex offenders via rape kits and other forensic evidence).

Interesting fact: the early research from the FBI database (30 years ago, at this point) helped scientists understand that certain genetic patterns are associated with being on Death Row (IOW are correlated with very violent criminality). The early findings were not nearly as specific as what we know now, but right away, we saw certain biological markers and began to research how and why those situations resulted in greater criminality.

We still don't have a complete answer - but you might say we have a fundamentally better understanding of who might commit violent crimes.

As a lay person I'm trying to understand what might have been so interesting? Are we talking about territory where there are genetic markers of disease, genetic anomalies or are we talking something like incest (this is a genuine question and I'm not trying to attack families)? All of these are quite interesting and I know it's an odd question but I'm trying to follow what would make it that interesting?? Maybe I am missing something much more benign. JMOO

Edit to add: This is also sort of fascinating because it makes you wonder if there was a reason for being drawn towards studying criminology.

Last edited:
Actually, I think that what Thompson meant was not "altered" but that the SNP profile was sent from the lab as a dataset to Othram, then, in order to load the dataset into the Othram database, the dataset had to be translated into a format that could be read by Othram's database software. It is not unusual to do a translation when moving a dataset from one database to another, especially when more than one organization is involved. That is what I was trying to find out. I'm not saying anything happened to the dataset. Data Translation would make sense considering the SNP profile dataset was traveling to various different organizations that probably use different software and hardware. And yes, it would affect the format of the file including length.

Now we're all on the same page! And I agree that Thompson, as an explainer, is not using the absolute best word choices. If you're right and this is just a computer interpolation (translation) situation - then, well, I'm thinking that if it's that one file that the Defense seeks and it is the case that the Prosecution doesn't have it either, the Judge might as well go ahead and ask FBI/Othram to give that one file to everyone.

All it's going to do is show (whether merely a file format issue or the addition of a new data point from an SNP) that Kohberger's DNA matched this relative. BTW, let's just say that this match with a relative was at 22% (I'm picking a number from within a known range for relatives). Then, that relative is likely a sibling, grandparent or an aunt/uncle. On 23andme, one can put down one's maternal last names as well (I assume it's the same at Othram). So it is possible that a woman uploaded her STR file to Othram and put down her maiden name as Kohberger. I shouldn't be so certain that it's a man.

Anyway, if the match were more like 15% or 18% of those SNP's in common - one would be thinking cousin or great grandparent. If it's 50%, we're talking a parent. Due to a process called random assortment (which occurs during the making of eggs and sperm as the chromosomes are replicated), almost no one has 25-25-25-25% from each of their four bio grandparents. It's possible to be close to that, but not typical. That's why siblings are not usually 25% either (as descendants from the same grandparents - but with a different ratio of SNP's provided by nature upon conception).

At any rate, it would be interesting to know the percentage on the match. If is around 20-25%, then it's a fairly close relative and ordinary public databases would likely provide info to point directly at BK's father as a relative of that person.

Even a 10% match would provide the clues needed to develop possible paternity of the unknown (at the time) criminal who broke into 1122 King Rd and left a sheath with their DNA on the use point. That small groove around the snap is like a canyon from DNA's point of view, nearly impossible to clean deeply inside it (as small as it appears to our eye). BK probably snapped and unsnapped the sheath multiple times after acquiring it - and while he likely cleaned it before he used it in the commission of this crime (we don't know - other parts of the sheath weren't tested), there's no way he could remove the remnants of his epithelial cells from that Sheath Canyon.

IMO.

Compliments, 10: for the comprehensivity, clarity and the patience. Won't re-quote here cause there is a limit to these servers LOL.
And I did review GINA Title 1 and other related that deal with discrimination in underwriting and similar. It would be interesting to contrast how the "cradle to grave" countries have handled that same topic but I anticipate I will not live long enough to assemble that dissertation. I do recall there were some interesting contrasts in immediate declarations and responses when cloning mammals pressed some hot topic buttons back in the 90's.

I may have lost track of some of the dates: but I was always operating under the impression that when the surveillance team pulled a sample of trash in PA they were actually targeting BK's DNA but the results came up "father" to a 99%-plus affirmation. Is there possibility that this represented a Fourth Amendment legal issue and that is where AT is headed overall? That should a surveillance not actually observe the discard of a specific object by a specific party the resultant DNA sample would not sustain evidentiary continuity? Is MK an uninformed "informant" according to the criterion employed by WT?

Inquiring minds and IANAL....JMO

As a lay person I'm trying to understand what might have been so interesting? Are we talking about territory where there are genetic markers of disease, genetic anomalies or are we talking something like incest (this is a genuine question and I'm not trying to attack families)? All of these are quite interesting and I know it's an odd question but I'm trying to follow what would make it that interesting?? Maybe I am missing something much more benign. JMOO

Those are great questions. It makes my whole morning that this discussion is bringing up questions like this.

My latest post talks about the percentage of match (which is related to your question). However, NO, nothing implied whatsoever about incest. But that's still a good question and it's natural to ask it.

Let me put it a different way - all humans are virtually alike. We share a single male ancestor at 50,000 years ago and a single female ancestor at 200,000 years ago (two bottlenecks caused by ecological and local conditions). So we are already quite "inbred." But, since we seem to have become very successful and numerous (8.5 billion of us - it's estimated there were 10,000 of us at 50,000 years ago), something is okay about our genome. We have gained a few significant new alleles (mutations) since those points in time - but not a whole lot of widespread ones.

When people hear the word "mutation," they think "bad" and "horrible" and many lay people have decided (wrongly) that a mutation is a sign of incest. Having sex with a near relative does NOT cause markers or mutations. Ever. Sex happens AFTER both participants have already created their eggs and sperm. Women are born with all their (unripe) eggs already made (so grand maternal nutrition and health is a factor in mutations for women). Men make new sperm all day long, every day (millions of them). That's already done when the sex occurs.

There's often nothing interesting at all about these markers. That's why I've been using hemoglobin as an example. You wouldn't be alive if you didn't have it (and all mammals and birds have it too; I'd have to check on reptiles, amphibians and fish).

You can't tell any difference in human functioning according to which hemoglobin allele they have. AFAIK, they all do the job. No one mates with someone because they 'like their hemoglobin type." That's why it's such a great marker. Unlike alleles for, say, thinness or blue eyes or brown eyes (which people can prefer and seek out when they mate), the best markers have tons of variation and are invisible in the human mating process (they basically drift with the currents attached to other alleles more important to mating - including ones involving fertility, sex drive, mental health, intelligence, and of course, physical appearance).

I think you're thinking about recessive alleles (like blue eyes - that allele appears a mere 8000 years ago, and is one of those newer mutations I'm speaking of - and it only works in people who have a couple of other more recent mutations - such as for producing less melanin; that happened in various populations starting around 28,000 years ago but it appears it was a tiny community where the blue allele appeared - and they must have mated within their group - as all groups would do if isolated - back then). If you are blue-eyed, it means that you descend on both sides from that group at 8000 years ago. No one would think that a blue eyed person marrying a blue eyed person is inbreeding, as 8000 years is a long time - but when the allele first appeared, even if people didn't marry close relatives - they married cousins, especially second and third cousins and little by little, the population became blue eyed. This happened relatively quickly, so we know that blue eyed people were marrying (and may have preferred marrying) blue eyed people, as many still prefer today (as an anthropologist, "today" means something like "last hundred years for which we have data").

The only way that inbreeding ends up causing problems for offspring is if there's a familial recessive gene for an illness (cystic fibrosis is my favorite example - because it was already well studied even 40 years ago when I was training). Newer studies show that in general, even first cousin marriage is highly unlikely to produce any of these recessive problems - and there are approximately 10,000 couples in the US who have married a first cousin (Last time I checked). I would advise them to seek genetic counseling, though, obviously.

Incest is defined a bit differently in every culture - but all cultures include first degree relatives, of course and all lineal relatives.

So, each of us shares 50% of our markers with each of two parents - who presumably were not brother and sister (or parent/child) and therefore each contributed a different set of the SNP's to our bodies. In most couples, each has 2 alleles for hemoglobin (being homozygous for hemoglobin is rare - that's why it's used as one of the SNP's). So you had 4 alleles available to you (and any siblings from the same parents). You only get to have 2. So even among siblings on that one SNP, there is usually variation and when you use 600,000 SNP's, you're going to be able to tell siblings apart easily.

from gremlin444's excellent post - thank you for the transcription - I know those are a lot of work!

"And it's our understanding that once a SNP is put into one of these databases, the database adjusts the SNP to fit what their criteria are for them to do their searches. So there are there differences between the two, the entirety of the two SNPs.""

IMO, the above is a layman (Thompson) trying to describe translation of the SNP from one format to another database format. He doesn't explain exactly how it is translated, although he says "the database adjusts the SNP to fit what their criteria are." All we can say is that somehow the SNP they received from the lab in Idaho was translated into the correct format for the GG company's database in Texas. Then when the FBI took over the SNP it received the one from the GG company in Texas which appears to be different from the one from the lab in Idaho due to the translation even though it is the same data.

What I would like to know next is where was the GG match to the Kohberger family made? Was it made in Texas or at the FBI Forensic DNA Analysis Lab at Quantico? Has anyone seen any news articles that explain exactly where the identification was made?
I think Thomson is saying that it is the private lab (othram in this case as revealed by the D) that created the original snp profile (from some of the dna cs sample). ISL didn't send an snp profile. ISL only does STR profiles. Then, yes, when that snp profile is uploaded to othram's data base, this 'translation', if you like, takes place. Fbi, when taking over the IGG, were given access to the data base and associated 'translated' snp profile. Moo on the basis of not only what Thomson said on 2nd Nov, but also Ps Protective Order motions and responses written by Nye that explain what occurred in more detail and also affidavit from ISL that they do not create snp profiles.

Compliments, 10: for the comprehensivity, clarity and the patience. Won't re-quote here cause there is a limit to these servers LOL.
And I did review GINA Title 1 and other related that deal with discrimination in underwriting and similar. It would be interesting to contrast how the "cradle to grave" countries have handled that same topic but I anticipate I will not live long enough to assemble that dissertation. I do recall there were some interesting contrasts in immediate declarations and responses when cloning mammals pressed some hot topic buttons back in the 90's.

I may have lost track of some of the dates: but I was always operating under the impression that when the surveillance team pulled a sample of trash in PA they were actually targeting BK's DNA but the results came up "father" to a 99%-plus affirmation. Is there possibility that this represented a Fourth Amendment legal issue and that is where AT is headed overall? That should a surveillance not actually observe the discard of a specific object by a specific party the resultant DNA sample would not sustain evidentiary continuity? Is MK an uninformed "informant" according to the criterion employed by WT?

I have no clue about the legal questions. But I do not think they were looking for BK DNA in MK's trash. Instead, they figured that the match they had from Othram showed it was this branch of the Kohberger family, whose genealogy is actually mostly online. They knew BK wasn't living there at the time and wasn't throwing anything in the trash (yet). But since the match must have been 50%, they knew they'd filled their BINGO card and that MK was the father of the POI.

Since MK only had one son (and I've seen internet conspiracy theories about some unknown twin of BK who is managing to go through life still attached closely to BK - but is invisible to society?) it was clear who the POI was. I do believe they used that fact in the Idaho PCA. Not sure.

So the Court decided to issue an arrest warrant for this POI, which included gathering his own, actual DNA. Which of course matched the STR results from ISL (which were the basis of the Othram study) 100%. They had their guy.

And I do not expect that in the long run, such matches and such a powerful forensic tool will be eliminated by our court system. It might take years of arguing and the passage of new laws, but DNA analysis is here to stay and is only going to get more potent (especially in regard to finding tiny amounts of it and being able to analyze it - using SNP's).

I think Thomson is saying that it is the private lab (othram in this case as revealed by the D) that created the original snp profile (from some of the dna cs sample). ISL didn't send an snp profile. ISL only does STR profiles. Then, yes, when that snp profile is uploaded to othram's data base, this 'translation', if you like, takes place. Fbi, when taking over the IGG, were given access to the data base and associated 'translated' snp profile. Moo on the basis of not only what Thomson said on 2nd Nov, but also Ps Protective Order motions and responses written by Nye that explain what occurred in more detail and also affidavit from ISL that they do not create snp profiles.
Thank you! That's very helpful in understanding what condition the data was in before being sent to Othram. So from this, Othram likely did an extraction of the SNP from the data sent by ISL and translated the SNP as a dataset that could be loaded into their database. Makes perfect sense.

Thank you! That's very helpful in understanding what condition the data was in before being sent to Othram. So from this, Othram likely did an extraction of the SNP from the data sent by ISL and translated the SNP as a dataset that could be loaded into their database. Makes perfect sense.
Yes, that's exactly what happened. Jepop explained it very well.

The data was complete and typical STR data, which is what we mean when say we have a full DNA profile or individual dataset. I wouldn't call identifying SNP's "extraction" (because that has a meaning in biochemistry/biology as well).

They looked at that data and made a report on the SNP's that they, with their algorithm, use. I have a friend whose running a longevity company. You send your full STR data to him and for $4000 he will look at SNP's that he has determined are associated with longevity. His partners are medical doctors. There are a slew of these minor companies that examine our full DNA to look for such things as the APOE system, about 10 other genes possibly associated with Alzheimers, the genes for hereditary cancers, etc. I know it sounds like a lot of money but if pancreatic cancer ran in your family (as it does in my best friend's husband's family) you'd want to know. The alternative is getting MRI's or similar a couple of times a year for preventative reasons. My friend who runs this company also uses the genes for familial cholesteral, familial obesity ("lean genes") and so on.

I am confident that in Moscow, ID, many locals will have heard of or used some sort of GG or genetic health service and will certainly have a basic understanding of genetics (many of them).

IMO.

I have no clue about the legal questions. But I do not think they were looking for BK DNA in MK's trash.

Instead, they figured that the match they had from Othram showed it was this branch of the Kohberger family, whose genealogy is actually mostly online. They knew BK wasn't living there at the time and wasn't throwing anything in the trash (yet). But since the match must have been 50%, they knew they'd filled their BINGO card and that MK was the father of the POI. IOW, BK was a POI for several other reasons so they made the effort to tie the case together with paternal DNA.

Since MK only had one son (and I've seen internet conspiracy theories about some unknown twin of BK who is managing to go through life still attached closely to BK - but is invisible to society?) it was clear who the POI was. I do believe they used that fact in the Idaho PCA. Not sure.

So the Court decided to issue an arrest warrant for this POI, which included gathering his own, actual DNA. Which of course matched the STR results from ISL (which were the basis of the Othram study) 100%. They had their guy.

And I do not expect that in the long run, such matches and such a powerful forensic tool will be eliminated by our court system. It might take years of arguing and the passage of new laws, but DNA analysis is here to stay and is only going to get more potent (especially in regard to finding tiny amounts of it and being able to analyze it - using SNP's).

IMO

In amateur genetic genealogy, a second to third cousin (sharing great grandparents or great great grandparents and about 3% dna) is considered "close family". Sharing 1% is still in the "extended family" range and considered a "good match". If you had a match in the extended family range on each side of the family, it would not be difficult at all to build out that tree and narrow down your unidentified profile. If Othram is 100% opt-in for law enforcement I'm really curious to see what the defense will do with the info once they have it.

Actually, I think that what Thompson meant was not "altered" but that the SNP profile was sent from the lab as a dataset to Othram, then, in order to load the dataset into the Othram database, the dataset had to be translated into a format that could be read by Othram's database software. It is not unusual to do a translation when moving a dataset from one database to another, especially when more than one organization is involved. That is what I was trying to find out. I'm not saying anything happened to the dataset. Data Translation would make sense considering the SNP profile dataset was traveling to various different organizations that probably use different software and hardware. And yes, it would affect the format of the file including length.
But what difference does that^^ make in this trial? How does it affect any of the DNA evidence in any way?

I went back and watched. It kind of started when AT said that she believed there was missing information from the "private" (and we all know which one) lab's profile. Then she said that she had received in discover a SNP profile that she believed came from "private lab" and that it is not in the "general format that those come out in." She said it was not a FASTQ file but a different kind of format/file, and she said that it was a much smaller data file than the FBI's data file. She emphasized that she thinks the private lab's file/profile that was provided to the defense was "missing something."

The the judge said something like "Oh, I thought there was only one SNP profile and now I'm hearing there are two?"

quoting as best as I can hear from the not so awesome audio:

Bill Thompson said, "That's correct, your honor and the difference is that the one
from the private lab is the initial profile the private lab analyst created from the DNA portion of the DNA sample. Then what was transferred to the FBI was after that
original SNP had been uploaded into a database, access to the database was transferred. And it's our understanding that once a SNP is put into one of these databases, the database adjusts the SNP to fit what their criteria are for them to do their searches. So there are there differences between the two, the entirety of the two SNPs."

He then asks Attorney Nye, since he is knowledgable in this area, to jump in and correct hi if he's not stating it clearly.

BT continues, "So in an excess of caution we wanted to make sure the defense had both-- had the original SNP that the private lab created, and also the SNP (that?) was transferred via the transferring of the database to the FBI."

He then says, "We are told, we understand, that like I just said the databases adopt (* I think he meant "adapt"*) the SNPs to their search *audioblip*, and so they're going to look slightly different."

Judge J then asked Attorney Nye if he wanted to add anything to that, and Nye said no, he thought he was very well said.

AT then requests 2 things (which I'll discuss out of order):
1) She wants Judge J to explain what he means by in camera review and wants to know what the judge is going to do if he needs help understanding the info. She wants to make sure that there's not an FBI agent there with Judge J as he's trying to understand all this stuff and asks for him to clarify what he would do if he needs external help.
2) She wants the Judge to make a list (not the content though) of everything he gets from the State that he will then be going through and using to make his decision and then give it to her. Because she wants to make sure Judge J has a full packet of information upon which to make his decision. She specifically mentions:
--things like the raw data snip profile from "private lab"
--the communications between private lab and the FB--not the content, just that you have those
--the statistical analysis that happen within the profiles when making decisions when the genetics genealogists make decisions about the family tree
--the bioinformatics for the micro array
--the court should include that the FBI complied with requirements in MyFamilyTree

Judge J makes no promises to provide her with this privileged log of content. He says he might, it just depends on how things go. He also says that if he brings in an independent expert, he will let both sides know.

Mr. Thompson then replies that he is concerned about the list of things AT mentioned because based on the prosecution's understanding, there are items that AT thinks that should be there but that won't be because either
1) those things can't be provided to the State because they aren't kept per FBI protocol or
2) the defense has a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between SNP profiles and traditional DNA comparisons, and how that process works. "We start talking with statistics, and those sorts of things don't necessarily apply in the investigative geneology world, so I don't want there to be false expectations. I certainly don't want the court be misled that things of relevance exist that do not...I was just just reacting to the laundry list of things the state was reciting that based on what our experts
told us, don't necessarily exist in an investigative genealogy SNP analysis. They may exist in a traditional STR DNA analysis, and those are two separate and distinct processes. They do not overlap at all, so we want to make sure that there's no confusion because
some of the things have been submitted by the defense don't accurately talk about the distinction."

AT replied that she does not want the judge to think she was trying to mislead the court or that she is misunderstanding or making things up in that list. "A lot of that
  • comes from expectations based on reading Department of Justice policy that was included for the court with our briefing before the August 18th hearing. A lot of that information comes from the testimony of the two genetic genealogist experts that we put on and the
    information that they provided to the court at the hearing. These aren't made up things. We absolutely understand that the genetic genealogy investigative process is different than what the Idaho State Police lab does with STR profiles, but there's analysis that happens along the way in building out these family trees to identify somebody
    that was talked about in deposition."

BT then replies, "I'm not suggesting that they are trying to mislead the court. It is our position that they have been provided with information that's not accurate and it's creating false expectations. And I don't want the court to be misled by that and to have expectations that are not accurate."

I do hope that Judge J does get an independent authority on DNA and IGG analysis to come talk to him who can explain things in a similar fashion to 10 of Rods. IMHO, BT was a bit inaccurate in his word choices. And I think Judge J SHOULD be allowed to have someone from the Justice Dept AND the FBI come and verify what procedure is and how it is followed in actual practice.
AT is leading the court down a crazy rabbit hole, unnecessarily. What's the point of all this data, which means nothing in terms of the actual relevant evidence in this murder case?

She is wasting the court's time and resources and just looking for a toe hold to get her foot in the door of some kind of a judicial or legal error somewhere, that she can build upon somehow. They used the wrong family member, they took some kind of misstep, and now she wants the DNA evidence out of the trial.

So the judge shows her a few of the steps in the entire IGG process---then what? She finds fault with one of the steps somehow and then wants more details ?

Last edited:
trimmed by ME

I may have lost track of some of the dates: but I was always operating under the impression that when the surveillance team pulled a sample of trash in PA they were actually targeting BK's DNA but the results came up "father" to a 99%-plus affirmation.
From the PCA: Page 18....
On December 27, 2022, Pennsylvania Agents recovered the trash from the Kohberger
family residence located in Albrightsville, PA. That evidence was sent to the Idaho State Lab for
testing. On December 28,2022, the Idaho State Lab reported that a DNA profile obtained ftom
the trash and the DNA profile obtained from the sheath, identified a male as not being excluded
as the biological father of Suspect Profile.....

Kohberger and father were pulled over in Indiana December 15, 2022. Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger pulled over twice in Indiana, state police confirm

Indications that the car was serviced on Dec. 19 in PA IIRC from the updated CARFAX.

So its still my impression that they were after BK's sample and got MK's inadvertently. This will probably be clarified at trial unless it becomes an issue in a motion to suppress....

From the PCA: Page 18....
On December 27, 2022, Pennsylvania Agents recovered the trash from the Kohberger
family residence located in Albrightsville, PA. That evidence was sent to the Idaho State Lab for
testing. On December 28,2022, the Idaho State Lab reported that a DNA profile obtained ftom
the trash and the DNA profile obtained from the sheath, identified a male as not being excluded
as the biological father of Suspect Profile.....

Kohberger and father were pulled over in Indiana December 15, 2022. Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger pulled over twice in Indiana, state police confirm

Indications that the car was serviced on Dec. 19 in PA IIRC from the updated CARFAX.

So its still my impression that they were after BK's sample and got MK's inadvertently. This will probably be clarified at trial unless it becomes an issue in a motion to suppress....
Yes, they couldn't get BK's sample because we now know he was secretly disposing of his own trash late at night in neighbor's bins. How strange is that?? There's no logical explanation other than he knew that LE was on to him by that point (the stops by IN LE spooked him whether planned or not), plus he knew they were looking for his type of vehicle.

I don't think he had any intentions of going back to WSU period. Seems like he brought most of his personal items home and left his apartment and storage space almost empty. Sounds like the actions of someone with something to hide to me.

MOO

Last edited:
AT is leading the court down a crazy rabbit hole, unnecessarily. What's the point of all this data, which means nothing in terms of the actual relevant evidence in this murder case?

She is wasting the court's time and resources and just looking for a toe hold to get her foot in the door of some kind of a judicial or legal error somewhere, that she can build upon somehow. They used the wrong family member, they took some kind of misstep, and now she wants the DNA evidence out of the trial.

So the judge shows her a few of the steps in the entire IGG process---then what? She finds fault with one of the steps somehow and then wants more details ?
AT is just making paper, with a guilty client and no defense she has nothing else except try to get every shred of evidence thrown out or questioned. She's vigorously defending her client, which he is entitled to by law. I'm glad he won't have that argument on an appeal.

BK is eventually going to trial and he will be found guilty I believe. He will never be a free man again, but until then, we wait.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member