4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #90

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I see. Thanks @10ofRods . This shows he went to an Albertsons between 12:46 and 1:04 pm on the 13th, which is unrelated to committing a quadruple homicide nine hours prior.

Which brings me to something else.

I'm sorry because it's going to be a long post, but I want to comment on what @Boxer says earlier (thank you @Boxer , that list really got me thinking!).
I'm not sure we've seen any solid evidence he returned to the scene of the crime the next morning. The cell phone pings aren't precise enough to guarantee that ever happened. The white sedans captured behind the house by MSM cameras on the 13th were in the afternoon, and were never claimed as being BK's car by LE.
In fact, that afternoon is when we have the weirdest of his pings, with LE saying he pinged but they don't think he actually was in the area, which is something I am sure the defense will jump on to cast doubt about the previous pings.
That's why I really hope there is GPS data. Even accelerometer data could be useful to corroborate the alleged route.
The same goes for the Elantra footage, and this ties back to what @Megnut says. Do all the images along his alleged route show plate detail, or a missing plate, or the driver? We don't know. If they don't, the defense will use that to say that's just an elantra and all the footage is not necessarily of his, and as we know there are thousands of elantras in the area.
IMO, the problem with all the points listed by @Boxer is that (based on what little we know now), although at first, the totality seems solid, each one can and will be taken apart by the defense, and I don't know how much will remain after that.
DNA would be the biggest hurdle, but they don't seem to be shying away from trying to deconstruct that at all.
I hope this all doesn't come across as pro-BK. I just think a lot of what we've been told is not as solid as I'd like, especially if he's guilty.
The media has played a huge part in overstating what is certain and downplaying what isn't, just so they could get some "breaking news", and in the process I'm afraid we may have gained an overly confident impression of how strong the case against him is.
Remember when the talking heads assured us his car would be a treasure trove of evidence, but there was nothing there? Or that whole debacle around the ID cards in a glove in a box, which a mainstream media "source" claimed belonged to the victims' when there was absolutely nothing to back that up? And let's not forget the "Pappa Rodgers" nonsense... Much ado about nothing.
So now, the media is telling us an Amazon search warrant for sure means he bought the knife on Amazon, and a Dickies tag is definitely for a Michael Myers outfit, but perhaps it's more of the same.
Again, to clarify, I think BK's probably guilty, what I am questioning is whether the evidence will stand up to the defense's counterpoints. I really hope the prosecution has a big reveal we just haven't been privy to.
MOO, JMO, etc.

No, it's related. Here's the problem it solves:

There could be a claim that someone else drove BK's car (both during the time of the murders and later, when he returns to the scene of the crime).

I'm sure that if you don't want to be convinced that this second trip through Moscow, Lewiston, Clarkston, etc, right after visiting 1122 King Road, isn't related to the murders, you won't be. But the video at Albertson's shows that it was indeed BK who arrives at the store and goes inside, where he is shopping. His phone travels with him - so he can't claim that someone else was using his phone (and car).

At any rate, the white car is seen on video turning into 1122 King Road at around 4 am, and then is back around 9 am (probably with video as well, it wouldn't make much sense if there weren't - but at least the car leaves Steptoe Apts, where BK lives, travels to 1122 King Road at 9 am, five hours after the crime, BEFORE LE is notified or anyone knew the murders had occurred). This is highly incriminating - but he could claim it wasn't him.

Except that whoever is driving the car has their phone with them, and they drive to an Albertson's about 30 minutes away, where BK is then on camera (and seen by an eyewitness) in Clarkston, confirming that man, car and phone traveled together.

If you don't think this is related to the murders, then we can agree to disagree about reasonable explanations for these two events (BK's car traveling from Steptoe to Moscow to the neighborhood of the crimes then south of Moscow to Clarkston and then back to Steptoe, his phone on for most of both trips; his phone off only during the time he spent driving around the neighborhood (caught on camera so turning off the phone didn't really help) and then turning back on when he gets about 20 miles south of Moscow, in Blaine, ID (a quite rural area of Idaho, off route to get him home to Steptoe - so I figure he had to turn his phone back on to check a map).

IMO. I think the movements of suspect vehicle 1 (the Elantra) are very relevant to the crime, as that's the car seen near the crime scene at the time of the murders.

Ah, I see. Thanks @10ofRods . This shows he went to an Albertsons between 12:46 and 1:04 pm on the 13th, which is unrelated to committing a quadruple homicide nine hours prior.

Which brings me to something else.

I'm sorry because it's going to be a long post, but I want to comment on what @Boxer says earlier (thank you @Boxer , that list really got me thinking!).
I'm not sure we've seen any solid evidence he returned to the scene of the crime the next morning. The cell phone pings aren't precise enough to guarantee that ever happened. The white sedans captured behind the house by MSM cameras on the 13th were in the afternoon, and were never claimed as being BK's car by LE.
In fact, that afternoon is when we have the weirdest of his pings, with LE saying he pinged but they don't think he actually was in the area, which is something I am sure the defense will jump on to cast doubt about the previous pings.
That's why I really hope there is GPS data. Even accelerometer data could be useful to corroborate the alleged route.
The same goes for the Elantra footage, and this ties back to what @Megnut says. Do all the images along his alleged route show plate detail, or a missing plate, or the driver? We don't know. If they don't, the defense will use that to say that's just an elantra and all the footage is not necessarily of his, and as we know there are thousands of elantras in the area.
IMO, the problem with all the points listed by @Boxer is that (based on what little we know now), although at first, the totality seems solid, each one can and will be taken apart by the defense, and I don't know how much will remain after that.
DNA would be the biggest hurdle, but they don't seem to be shying away from trying to deconstruct that at all.
I hope this all doesn't come across as pro-BK. I just think a lot of what we've been told is not as solid as I'd like, especially if he's guilty.
The media has played a huge part in overstating what is certain and downplaying what isn't, just so they could get some "breaking news", and in the process I'm afraid we may have gained an overly confident impression of how strong the case against him is.
Remember when the talking heads assured us his car would be a treasure trove of evidence, but there was nothing there? Or that whole debacle around the ID cards in a glove in a box, which a mainstream media "source" claimed belonged to the victims' when there was absolutely nothing to back that up? And let's not forget the "Pappa Rodgers" nonsense... Much ado about nothing.
So now, the media is telling us an Amazon search warrant for sure means he bought the knife on Amazon, and a Dickies tag is definitely for a Michael Myers outfit, but perhaps it's more of the same.
Again, to clarify, I think BK's probably guilty, what I am questioning is whether the evidence will stand up to the defense's counterpoints. I really hope the prosecution has a big reveal we just haven't been privy to.
MOO, JMO, etc.
Only touching on your concerns re the suspect vehicle, LE due diligence in eliminating other elantras was taking place at an intense level during the investigation Moo, tip line etc.

There were not 1000s of elantras on the relevant roads during the relevant hours. Imo, LE have good deductive evidence to show suspect V 1 left the crime scene via Conestoga at 4.20 in the am, then we have BK turning on phone 20 mins south of King Road 30 mins later. How many white elantras did street cams and business cams show leaving Moscow by other routes (east. west or north) after 4.20am on 13th Nov? You can be sure, IMO, that investigators checked. Fortunately, this investigation was well resourced, and, IMo, extremely professionally coordinated. Moo

Only touching on your concerns re the suspect vehicle, LE due diligence in eliminating other elantras was taking place at an intense level during the investigation Moo, tip line etc.

There were not 1000s of elantras on the relevant roads during the relevant hours. Imo, LE have good deductive evidence to show suspect V 1 left the crime scene via Conestoga at 4.20 in the am, then we have BK turning on phone 20 mins south of King Road 30 mins later. How many white elantras did street cams and business cams show leaving Moscow by other routes (east. west or north) after 4.20am on 13th Nov? You can be sure, IMO, that investigators checked. Fortunately, this investigation was well resourced, and, IMo, extremely professionally coordinated. Moo
And how many of those only had one number plate. Not many, I bet.

MOO

"Security footage from the campus of Washington State University in Pullman, Wash., where Kohberger is a graduate student, showed a similar white sedan headed in the direction of Moscow, about 15 miles away across the state line, shortly before 3 a.m. and then appearing to return around 5:30 a.m."

I vaguely remember seeing photos of KB's car leaving Pullman. Does anyone else remember this? tia

@10ofRods ,
Thank you for your reply. There is a deep misunderstanding of what I wrote, I'm afraid. I did state that I personally think he's probably guilty, but perhaps my post was too long and I don't blame you if it got overlooked.
Too often, it is assumed that those who ask questions are taking a side "against". This is often a problem I run into. I guess I need to learn to express my thoughts more clearly, and succintly.
Regarding the route that morning: BK did not drive from Moscow to Lewiston then Clarkson. Please reread the PCA. They are separate trips. There is one trip from Pullman to Moscow at around 9. Then there is a trip from Pullman to the Albertsons around noon. It would be so much better for the prosecution if that was all one trip, but it isn't.

@jepop thank you for understanding that my questions reflect my concerns, not a pro-BK stance. I agree that LE, especially assisted by the FBI, will have checked this, but I have no doubt the defense will try to sow doubt because it's such a prevalent vehicle. I should have given a source for the thousands of Elantras. 22000.
Screenshot_20231110-183709~2.png

"Security footage from the campus of Washington State University in Pullman, Wash., where Kohberger is a graduate student, showed a similar white sedan headed in the direction of Moscow, about 15 miles away across the state line, shortly before 3 a.m. and then appearing to return around 5:30 a.m."

I vaguely remember seeing photos of KB's car leaving Pullman. Does anyone else remember this? tia
Per pca, phone pings leaving appartment at 2.40ish, turns phone off whilst on Nevada at 2.50ish, then a camera capture of elantra heading s-e towards 270 (around Stadium Drive and Nevada intersection?). I've speculated two possible non-main road routes on previous thread that would get him to Indian Hills Drive by 3.26am so as to avoid cameras when entering Moscow. With the advent of BK's current (non)-alibi, his allegedly "driving around" in night hours/post midnight of 12th/13th Nov prior to switching off phone is very curious. If his phone was on during those hours, then it seems to me that both the D and the P would have a good idea of where he wasbecause of pings. Moo

@10ofRods ,
Thank you for your reply. There is a deep misunderstanding of what I wrote, I'm afraid. I did state that I personally think he's probably guilty, but perhaps my post was too long and I don't blame you if it got overlooked.
Too often, it is assumed that those who ask questions are taking a side "against". This is often a problem I run into. I guess I need to learn to express my thoughts more clearly, and succintly.
Regarding the route that morning: BK did not drive from Moscow to Lewiston then Clarkson. Please reread the PCA. They are separate trips. There is one trip from Pullman to Moscow at around 9. Then there is a trip from Pullman to the Albertsons around noon. It would be so much better for the prosecution if that was all one trip, but it isn't.

@jepop thank you for understanding that my questions reflect my concerns, not a pro-BK stance. I agree that LE, especially assisted by the FBI, will have checked this, but I have no doubt the defense will try to sow doubt because it's such a prevalent vehicle. I should have given a source for the thousands of Elantras. 22000.
View attachment 459702
Yes, but no need for media dramatics with the 22,000 number - what an eg of due diligence was the elantra elimination project! Moo. Thinking re the auto elimination of many drivers due to being female and so forth, plus is that a state wide number? Moo

RSBM
RSBM
RBBM: They may be two separate trips, but unless BK takes the stand to say someone else was driving his car with his phone in it during the 10 min trip to King Road neigbourhood at 9.20-30am on 13th (and produces this person as witness) then Imo P should be able to show quite reasonably that BK was the traveller on both those occasions (Moscow and Clarkson/Lewiston). Moo. I also think there is probably/likely footage of elantra leaving and arriving back in Pullman for the morning after Moscow trip as @10ofRods speculates. Moo

Last edited:
At the Albertson's, while he was making the same southern loop/long way drive along rural roads, back to Pullman. He stops in Clarkston, I believe, and is recorded on cctv at Albertson's. I don't know what the footage actually shows - but there's definitely cell phone data showing him arrive at the Albertson's, then there's cctv of him inside the store, then his car moves across the street and parks near the Snake River.

A worker at a coffee kiosk across from Albertson's says he pulled into their drive-through (I believe they might have cctv - but the worker says that BK did not order anything, just pulled through their drive-through).

Naturally, this all has to make it into evidence - but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Wow, was he actually trying to get himself caught on CCTV as a partial alibi????

Wow, was he actually trying to get himself caught on CCTV as a partial alibi????
He does come across as someone who thinks of himself as a clever clogs. Sometimes the supposedly smart ones do the most ridiculous things trying to outmaneuver an investigation, when if they'd followed K.I.S.S. they might have gotten away with it.

MOO

Well said!!!

I suspect the prosecution has so much material that they will lay this out so straight forward that any reasonable person would come to the same conclusion.

@10ofRods ,

(gif snipped for focus)

I think you are misunderstanding what I wrote as well, which is easy to do. I have posted several times about my reconstruction of these two drives and was trying not to get into the weeds again. I am making a couple of supposition which I believe are supported by the facts..

I was using Clarkston/Lewiston interchangeably because, well, they are basically the same place (there is of course a city boundary, but on the ground, the two places are joined together). It is Clarkston, though, where the Albertson's is.

BK is heading south TOWARD Clarkston/Lewiston at around 3 am on Nov 13. He is described as going through Uniontown (avoiding the cameras that are undoubtedly in this larger area (the two towns are listed as the same metropolitan area by the census so the population for both is around 60,000, I'm sure separate data can be found - but it's a larger settlement than Uniontown, which has only 294 people. Uniontown is just a wide spot on the road.

So he goes south down to that area twice. You're right that he goes back home first. For whatever reason, he goes BACK through Uniontown (where he'd been just hours before) and this time, continues onward to the metropolitan area.

BTW, in rereading the PCA, it does say that there is footage of him exiting his vehicle (the white Elantra) in the parking lot of Albertson's - it's not just our imaginations!

The PCA does not seem to say which route he took thereafter - but the little yellow arrows on the map in the PCA illustrating this trip, show him driving on State Route 12 and crossing a bridge over the Snake River. That map indicates no route back home to Steptoe.

So it's actually unknown whether he did the same loop again - I had assumed it. But he DOES go down through Uniontown (same as the night before), this time approaching the Snake River two times (once near the coffee kiosk and the other time by using Highway 12). It's obvious that he goes back to Pullman at some point - but I can't find the route in the PCA.

What intrigues me (and I didn't catch it before) is that apparently he remains in that southern area (roughly where he'd been the night before) until around 5:30 pm on Sunday. IOW, he leaves home bright and early, goes to Moscow, goes back to Pullman (he was probably hoping to find the sheath and dispose it along with other evidence from his car), goes through Johnson/Uniontown (again) but does not stop in these tiny towns, instead he rather brazenly drives his car to an Albertson's in broad daylight, and then somehow manages to spend the rest of the day within 26 miles of Clarkston (part of it in Clarkston, part west of Clarkston, and then pinging 26 miles north at around 5:30). I sure do wonder what he was doing with his newly purchased items at Albertsons during that period of time.

My main point is that there was no reason for BK to be south of Moscow at all that night (except to use a less well traveled, camera-laden route back home and then later...he goes back to the general area, this time going further south).

My theory is that he thought he'd encounter the Snake River on his first trip. He checks his maps in Blaine but isn't quite able to suss out where he might approach the Snake and goes home. Then he returns, having had the time to look at his laptop to see where the river actually goes, heads to that point (near Albertson's, buys some things there - which I believe by now may be known to LE because Albertson's keeps digital receipts and inventory).

My map also tells me that on that second trip, BK could not have arrived from Uniontown (south of Pullman) to Clarkston without going through the city limits of Lewiston. He had to cross a bridge over another large river (Clearwater) and drive through the northern part of Lewiston to get to Clarkston, by crossing over another bridge (this time over the Snake River). To be digitally tagged in Johnson around 5:30 pm on Sunday, he had to once again drive through the northern part of Lewiston.

So he DID go to Lewiston and my memory is not quite as bad as I thought. But you're write, the PCA hints that he went back by the short leg of the previous trip (Steptoe is not quite 36 miles from Clarkston).

I would love to know if he'd ever gone south of either Pullman or Moscow that day.

And he does make two trips to the south on the same day of the murders - covering SOME of the same ground. That's how I'll put it from now on.

And he IS seen getting out of the vehicle at Albertson's (third trip of the day that we know of; second trip south of Pullman to the same general area). So there are indeed three trips, you're right.

IMO.

Nope, I made it up all by myself.
The knife, the DNA and why the Defense will claim it is not incriminating:

“Mr. Kohberger stipulates that the knife was his. His DNA was on the snap because he had examined it when he first bought it. He brought it to work at the college and put it in his top desk drawer. Mr. Kohberger had intended to sell it but the next day it was gone.”
Any number of lies can be generated in attempt cover the known facts.
Yes and for evidence as damning as the DNA, the Defense needs to introduce the possibility of reasonable doubt into the minds of as many jurors as possible
I have faith in jurors being able to understand the evidence.

Well said!!!

I suspect the prosecution has so much material that they will lay this out so straight forward that any reasonable person would come to the same conclusion.
P are going to be able to show that SV1 exited the King Road neighbourhood via Conestoga and onto Palouse, Moo. From there all that needs to be done is to show that SV1 did not loop round and head north, east/north-east or North and then west out of Moscow. The video canvas is very likely Imo to have covered those arteries. As to heading west along Sand Road - google street view shows quite a few residential cameras on sparse properties after Snow road intersection. The P''s job will be to connect SV1 with BK's elantra which appears on the radar at 4.48am when BK switches phone back on, on the Hwy heading south near Blaine (after which it pings it way back to Pullman to be captured on camera multiple times as it 'heads towards BK's place). Imo, P will be able to demonstrate that SV1 had to have gone south from Conestoga (either direct down hwy or via Snow road to hwy (country road, no cameras). Speculation and Moo.
h

It would hardly work as an alibi - as he's there hours after the murders. He's also crossing bridges over big rivers and stopping (near the coffee kiosk) at one of them.

It begins to look more like evidence removal and possible car clean-up. I doubt he felt comfortable cleaning the car at Steptoe.

Since he hadn't slept in a while, I assume he was pretty keen to get the car cleaned up and dispose of the evidence.

I don't think he thought he was getting a partial alibi, at all. I think he was afraid to go to grocery stores in Pullman/Moscow that day. Probably wasn't thinking too clearly.

IMO. Just speculation.

Thank you @gliving for the reminder. From the NYPost article, Court TV's documentary on Sunday, Nov 12, 2023, coincides with the one-year anniversary (actually Nov 13, 2023) of the murders of Ethan Chapin, Xana Kernodle, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves.
Can't believe it's been a whole year.
JMO

‘THE CASE AGAINST BRYAN KOHBERGER’ PREMIERES SUNDAY NOV. 12
The one-hour documentary premieres at 8 p.m. ET Sunday, Nov. 12, coinciding with the one-year anniversary of the shocking murder investigation around four University of Idaho students that stunned the country. Trailer: 13 minutes Court TV YouTube:

Short trailer: 33 secs. Court TV:

No, it's related. Here's the problem it solves:

There could be a claim that someone else drove BK's car (both during the time of the murders and later, when he returns to the scene of the crime).

I'm sure that if you don't want to be convinced that this second trip through Moscow, Lewiston, Clarkston, etc, right after visiting 1122 King Road, isn't related to the murders, you won't be. But the video at Albertson's shows that it was indeed BK who arrives at the store and goes inside, where he is shopping. His phone travels with him - so he can't claim that someone else was using his phone (and car).

At any rate, the white car is seen on video turning into 1122 King Road at around 4 am, and then is back around 9 am (probably with video as well, it wouldn't make much sense if there weren't - but at least the car leaves Steptoe Apts, where BK lives, travels to 1122 King Road at 9 am, five hours after the crime, BEFORE LE is notified or anyone knew the murders had occurred). This is highly incriminating - but he could claim it wasn't him.

Except that whoever is driving the car has their phone with them, and they drive to an Albertson's about 30 minutes away, where BK is then on camera (and seen by an eyewitness) in Clarkston, confirming that man, car and phone traveled together.

If you don't think this is related to the murders, then we can agree to disagree about reasonable explanations for these two events (BK's car traveling from Steptoe to Moscow to the neighborhood of the crimes then south of Moscow to Clarkston and then back to Steptoe, his phone on for most of both trips; his phone off only during the time he spent driving around the neighborhood (caught on camera so turning off the phone didn't really help) and then turning back on when he gets about 20 miles south of Moscow, in Blaine, ID (a quite rural area of Idaho, off route to get him home to Steptoe - so I figure he had to turn his phone back on to check a map).

IMO. I think the movements of suspect vehicle 1 (the Elantra) are very relevant to the crime, as that's the car seen near the crime scene at the time of the murders.
That video at Albertson's is one of the most damning pieces of evidence against BK. It ties the cellular and video evidence from the night before together in a nice bow and leaves little doubt.

But no one ever talks about.

I love how the NYPost takes something that everyone has been saying since Day 1 and presents it as some sort of revelation because a defense attorney said so.

In the days following the murders it was "this person probably partied there before and learned the layout of the house" AND "how are they ever going to find the killers dna in a party house full of dna!"

I speculated that the Defense would ask the two surviving victims (yes, they are victims too) if they knew the faces and names of everyone who had ever partied there before. Did they drink and did it impair their memory. And whether or not they were present at every single party that was thrown at the house. And if not is it possible that someone could have been there that they wouldn't have known.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member