4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #94

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why the room mates that heard things did not call 911 sooner.
Imagine that you are a busy college student with three female roommates. You may or may not know that one of them has a boyfriend and is sleeping over. You often have parties in your house on the weekend. Friends, and friends of friends stop by. Sometimes, the parties go late into the night until early in the morning. Early one morning you heard noises, and you saw an unfamiliar person. But you didn't assume that the unfamiliar person in the house was a potential mass murderer. Hindsight is 20/20.

Imagine that you are a busy college student with three female roommates. You may or may not know that one of them has a boyfriend and is sleeping over. You often have parties in your house on the weekend. Friends, and friends of friends stop by. Sometimes, the parties go late into the night until early in the morning. Early one morning you heard noises, and you saw an unfamiliar person. But you didn't assume that the unfamiliar person in the house was a potential mass murderer. Hindsight is 20/20.
And even the mask wouldn't necessarily be an alarming thing.

This was 2022, in the winter. A lot of people were still taking COVID precautions, especially in the colder months, indoors.

MOO

^^^THIS^^^ 1,000 times THIS

I don’t understand why the room mates that heard things did not call 911 sooner.
Because they are young, carefree college students living in off campus party house. It was the norm to have various people in and out I'm sure. These were fun and beautiful young women who seemed to have lots of friends and do the typical college stuff.

I wouldn't have thought one thing if I heard a few minor noises on a weekend night and opened my door and saw some rando dude leaving. I'd be thinking 'hook up' or whatever. Murder would never come to my mind, it doesn't make sense. There weren't screams, calls and pleas begging for help by the other roommates, no scary monster dripping blood walking by.

What I would have thought is that my mates would be super po'd if I did confront them or make an issue out of it, let alone call 911. There's a certain 'code' between college roomies, I'm sure DM never even entertained the idea that something horrific had happened. No way. She is 100% a victim and lucky to be alive.

JMO

To me it all depends on what BK looked like and what D saw / deduced from that. If she couldn’t see the knife, blood or anything suspicious, and BK was wearing normal clothes I can see how she’d assume it was a friend or hookup.
However; this all changes if, for example, he had blood all over his clothes, she saw the knife, or he was wearing something strange or suspicious (I know it’s been discussed whether he could’ve worn overalls or something like that.)

I assume he MUST of had the knife in his hand because he didn’t have the sheath and was probably reeling from the previous attack to think to put it away.

Also depends on how fast he walked past, was it a fleeting look or did she get to really look him up and down?

Although nothing makes much of a difference anyway, and her reaction is warranted each way; either she was calm and, if anything, pissed off that her friends had woken her with noise. Or she was in shock and sat in her room wondering what to do / messaging B/ etc.

All Moo.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^THIS^^^ 1,000 times THIS

Plus... you wake up and you are irritable and groggy.

You can't think straight, you just want the noise and activity to stop.

There is a guy leaving. And finally it is quiet (sadly). You wait until he passes and leaves to go outside.

Then you go back to bed.

Last edited:
Gonna run this past people here and see what they think on this, but if I were in my room, looked out, saw someone dressed like that in the hallway, and I got lucky in that I was able to close the door and lock it without him hurting/murdering me, too... I'd sit there in complete silence probably until someone came to my room to either rescue me or try to kill me (the door's locked, I would call 911 if the person attempted to break the door down). Why would I do this? Because I'd be terrified the person was either still in the house or would return and noiselessly prowl outside the door and hear the little beeps the phone makes as I called 911. I wouldn't walk, I wouldn't want the floor to creak, there's no way I'm speaking on the phone even in a whisper. Why? Well, he probably didn't kill me because he thinks I'm asleep. If he knows I'm awake-- in that situation, I probably get killed. So I'm going to move mountains to make sure that person thinks I'm asleep. No dialing, no walking, no movements, no nothing.
My thoughts went to living in a shared house at a College situation more like a dormitory where your room is your space and the hallways / stairs are more like public area. You are sharing public area and seeing strangers in halls not unusual. Where 10 years ago a face mask would be alarming - a masked intruder!, post Covid it’s not.
Student is tired, maybe been drinking, see a guy who would cause SERIOUS alarm in a private home but in this situation he could be some guy delivered food, maybe a guy heading home after walking someone home, “after-party”, or a none of your business situation? Could be an intruder and makes you nervous, but once you shut & lock door, he’s gone & then it’s done.
Some random person came looking for the after party “someone’s here” and then quiet, friend crying maybe that’s happened before, dog playing, guy is creepy but leaving. There’s a guy-friend upstairs, so girls are safe.
None of the “Call 911” things are happening.

Good morning all! We can hypothesize on any number of scenarios about the was going on in the house that morning. I was never a college roommate, but I still totally get the college roommate code. I think personality also plays into it - whether someone is a charge ahead and do something even if it's wrong type person (me) or someone who would be afraid of what might happen if they caused a stink for nothing. The bottom line is that we won't know what the roommates were experiencing/doing/thinking that morning until trial. And we may never know the entire story.

To me it all depends on what BK looked like and what D saw / deduced from that. If she couldn’t see the knife, blood or anything suspicious, and BK was wearing normal clothes I can see how she’d assume it was a friend or hookup.
However; this all changes if, for example, he had blood all over his clothes, she saw the knife, or he was wearing something strange or suspicious (I know it’s been discussed whether he could’ve worn overalls or something like that.)

I assume he MUST of had the knife in his hand because he didn’t have the sheath and was probably reeling from the previous attack to think to put it away.

Also depends on how fast he walked past, was it a fleeting look or did she get to really look him up and down?

Although nothing makes much of a difference anyway, and her reaction is warranted each way; either she was calm and, if anything, pissed off that her friends had woken her with noise. Or she was in shock and sat in her room wondering what to do / messaging / etc.

All Moo.
Not really it was very close to Halloween. He could have been covered in blood with knife in hand. Possibly thought frat guy playing prank on EC MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
HB's book, this I thought was interesting, if true it's HUGE to me...

<snipped>

Kohberger's sister became convinced he was the killer after police launched a nationwide search for a white Elantra. The book claims that Kohberger's sister confronted their father with her worst fears but her father turned his back and walked away.

Did Sister of Idaho Murders Suspect Fear He Was the Killer?

moo

Gonna run this past people here and see what they think on this, but if I were in my room, looked out, saw someone dressed like that in the hallway, and I got lucky in that I was able to close the door and lock it without him hurting/murdering me, too... I'd sit there in complete silence probably until someone came to my room to either rescue me or try to kill me (the door's locked, I would call 911 if the person attempted to break the door down). Why would I do this? Because I'd be terrified the person was either still in the house or would return and noiselessly prowl outside the door and hear the little beeps the phone makes as I called 911. I wouldn't walk, I wouldn't want the floor to creak, there's no way I'm speaking on the phone even in a whisper. Why? Well, he probably didn't kill me because he thinks I'm asleep. If he knows I'm awake-- in that situation, I probably get killed. So I'm going to move mountains to make sure that person thinks I'm asleep. No dialing, no walking, no movements, no nothing.
Except you CAN text 911 AND also DM's bedroom window looked out on the backyard where the sliding door exited, so she could have been in her dark room looking out the window without moving the curtains to make sure he left and then she could have called or texted 911 immediately. Also you can turn off the little beeps the phone makes in settings.

Except you CAN text 911 AND also DM's bedroom window looked out on the backyard where the sliding door exited, so she could have been in her dark room looking out the window without moving the curtains to make sure he left and then she could have called or texted 911 immediately. Also you can turn off the little beeps the phone makes in settings.

To report what? That someone's guest was leaving?

She couldn't know what she couldn't know.

JMO

From what I'm seeing from researching, Latah County is one of the few remaining counties in ID that does NOT have text to 911 capability. Perhaps one of the locals on here can confirm.

I think this might be true.
But then, what about the so-called "frozen shock" described in the PCA?
It can't be both ways, either she thought nothing of it or she was in frozen shock for 8 hours.
Personally I tend to agree she probably assumed this was someone's hookup leaving, and just fell asleep.
But the problem is, that makes me wonder how the whole frozen shock verbiage came about in the PCA.
My guess is that Payne mixed together two different moments in his narrative, and the frozen shock phase may be something that came about only the next morning, if she saw blood in the house or worse, and was too shocked to call the police then.

From what I'm seeing from researching, Latah County is one of the few remaining counties in ID that does NOT have text to 911 capability. Perhaps one of the locals on here can confirm.
That doesn't matter. She could have texted friends or her parents and said there was an intruder and asked them to call 911. There are too many workarounds.

Am curious about BK father arrival & did he stay locally overnight, or get right on the road?
Did dad also know about losing the teacher assistant job, and complaints about behavior? Was the flight & drive a last minute plan ? Did dad think it best he just move home?

There is no way he didn’t consider weigh up everything BK said & did (if his sister had raised concern).
Wonder did dad help & just give everything an extra clean? It was clean that he wasn’t going back in the new year, his dad/parents had to know that something was very wrong. They had strong idea.

If the sister raised the question, the parents definitely talked about it privately.

I want to know when dad bought the plane tix, last minute emergency situation or months before.

Am curious about BK father arrival & did he stay locally overnight, or get right on the road?
Did dad also know about losing the teacher assistant job, and complaints about behavior? Was the flight & drive a last minute plan ? Did dad think it best he just move home?

There is no way he didn’t consider weigh up everything BK said & did (if his sister had raised concern).
Wonder did dad help & just give everything an extra clean? It was clean that he wasn’t going back in the new year, his dad/parents had to know that something was very wrong. They had strong idea.

If the sister raised the question, the parents definitely talked about it privately.

I want to know when dad bought the plane tix, last minute emergency situation or months before.

Dad said it was a planned trip. Planned for him to fly out and drive cross country together.

2 Cents

Dad said it was a planned trip. Planned for him to fly out and drive cross country together.

2 Cents

I would think that they planned the trip in the late summer/early fall, that with a month or so of no classes during winter break, that BK would go home to PA and that his father would help with the cross-country driving. Many students, both undergrad and graduate, go home for the winter break given the length of the time period without classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50