5-9-12 Steven Powell Trial *GUILTY!!!* 6-15-12 SENTENCING HEARING

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Judge should be charged with voyeurism with his interest in looking over and over at those pictures.

Now we know who to blame for funding his camera fund (I am only kidding)

Not me. I honestly refused to deal with him when he came to town. I made the owner do it! lol He creeped everyone in the building out. He even made a phone call in my office one day to his daughter in Washington! (around 2000-2001, I think). Funny I didn't even figure it out until I found out about a year ago he was a furniture sales rep. Then it all came back to me...yuk.

So far, my favorite shot of SP.

StevePowellfeet.jpg

Also, the prosecution needs to point out that some people don't clean up their stuff in the bathroom all the time.

I think the Judge should be charged with voyeurism with his interest in looking over and over at those pictures.

He needs to stop flipping them over so they are visible on the live feed.

If SP had been watching when she used restroom and took a bath that is one count according to defense. 8,10, & 11 are same incidents . . . . 9 is same victim as in 8 & 11. Focus has been pulled back. Judge looking for ear of stuffed animal. Defense says it is in front of towel. same water glass on banister. Defense says there is nothing else to suggest it is not at the same time.

Judge looking @ bar @ window. it is not in 8 or 10, could occur just how much the camera is zoomed in.

Possible #13 and #14 could have been from same session as #8 and #10. #14 - appears some of the items - water glass maybe . . . because it could be the same the court should find that it is . . . absent of evidence that it is a different time.

State Atty - rule of statutory construction. Defense wants court to enter ruling based on only still photos not the whole video evidence. State asks to review entire video sequence. Whole notion 13 & 14 is same as 8,9,10 - is asking court to speculate.

Defense . . . .

got a phone call so I missed some of the discussion (sorry)

Judge will vacate count 10. 6 & 7 have to be the same session - clothes and towel, shiret, glass on banister - same session. vacate #7 - same session as #6.

with respect to others - it is possible - but judge cant make that determination. possible but . . . agrees that 5 and 12 are not. that leaves 12 counts.

I don't get the feeling that this judge did his homework. I'm thinking he's going to give this perv a light sentence - I hope I'm wrong.

48 different people convicted of voyeurism . . . . voyeurism charges in pierce county dating back to 2002. one person was convicted of 2 counts of rape. Mr. Kevin cheatum (sic?) charged w/16 counts on voyeurism. he was charged on all 16 but those were plead. other cases had 2 counts. judge asking what other people w/similar convictions usually get? Mr. Cheatum confessed admitted responsiblity in the case - victims asked for leniency (he lived with people and took pics of them). The only case that has multiple counts, remarkably similar counts and victims. 261 days on the 16 counts for Mr. Cheatum. boyd case somewhat incidental to rape of a child. unranged felony - standard range is 1 - 12 months (not sure if that is right?). Cheatum is 2003 case unranged voyeurism charges. Typically cannot tell you on voyeurism - purposes of SRA make sure defendents receive commensurate ranges. Sentencing docs facts are very similar to SP case (Cheatum). person with 0 criminal history - age 62 - person facing rape of child 123 months. Sentencing needs to be purportional to the crime. SP needs to be treated similar and purportionate to conduct.

State asking for 60 month sentences for each count - asking for consequitive - judge asks why conseq? should be sentenced with much more time than one count. Judge asking if State aware of anyone getting that kind of sentencing for voyeurism?

State asking for consequtive as count 2 would go unpunished as would all the others if all allowed to run together. no remorse -videotape 8 & 10 year old neighbors while on toilet and in bathtub. He video taped it, made multiple copies, looped video so he watched it over and over. two victims worry if these images created by SP might show up on internet. Judge asking if videos were ever put on internet - no evidence of that but from victim view - they would worry about it. SP asking release him back to his home enjoy home cooked meals, enjoy leisure time playing his electric piano. Given what victims had to go thru, punishment seems fair and just. Don't know if court has been made aware of similar offenders as SP - standard range is 0-12 months - unless substantial and compelling reasons to do much more. Court has authority to impose substantial range in excess and exceptional sentence. Impose pre-sentence report, legal and financial responsiblity, 5 years no contact with victim family or victims, entitled to credit for time served. Guidelines at the time, sex offense - 36 - 48 months of community custody. Victims mother is present - she wants to address the court - no photos of her. no photos of next person to be taken - camera pans to floor

Victims mom addressing SP - no apology, sit there smugly, humans are more like animals - do as they wish and no regard for others. She wants humans to act like humans and take responsiblity for actions. So angry @ what hedid to her children. caused embarrassment and heartache - their disgusting neighbor was doing. Shame on you! They have no pity - they have to carry this forever. while you were watching my girls - someone was watching you. better pray he forgives you because I can't. Please sentence him to as long as you possibly can so this never happens to others!

Defense - unranged felony - if court goes beyond standard sentencing - need to find defendant committed multiple occurrances and defendent offender's score dictates sentence. Unranged felonies - offender score is irrelevant, prior history is irrelevent, these type of felonies have standard range. If a person convicted of 50 of these - standard range means some of them go unpunished. High offender score - goes beyond standard range but this is unranged felony doesn't take into consideration criminal history or offender score. High offender score is not considered - threshhold issue - authority to give him more. . . . . exceptional sentences. do not impose exceptional sentence because he is 62, no criminal history, bachelors degree, long work experience, been in community a long time. Defense appreciates victim mother speaking today - not diminishing the crime - these girls were never physically harmed - their privacy was invaded but no evidence pics will be dissiminated over internet. Crimes were committed in SP's own home. these girls had no knowledge until informed 5 years later - blissfully living their lives . . . .commensurate with others . . . . other than Mr. Cheatham's case - all people here besides victim family due to notarity in this case. facts in this case are not particularly aggregious.

Defense attorney wants to consider the big picture....the big picture is....sp is a perve, his progeny have serious issues and sp needs to be punished for his crime....no leniency

at least that smug smile is off of his face

Defense says can't ignore what is going on behind . . . should be considered for punishment and do not punish Mr. Powell for conduct of his son.

(kiro lost feed)

Mr powell has no mental issues in normal sense? OK

Defense doesn't want SP's use of video cam or cameras to be taken away. ???

Judge orders a 10 min recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member