7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti Hospital Collapses

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On HLN yesterday they were interviewing a woman that ran an orphanage in Haiti and said the walls were literally crumbling and although all the children survived they couldnt go back into the orphanage. They said the children are all considered non-existent in the eyes of the government now due to the earthquake. I say..get them out of there and forget the paperwork. I'm sure there are people here in the US standing in line waiting to adopt them.

What did Sec Clinton accomplish by coming to Haiti today (well yesterday now)??

Did she bring medical supplies?

Did she leave the tarmac?

What was the purpose when it appears she never left the airport? Well I did hear she took some Americans back with her.

On HLN yesterday they were interviewing a woman that ran an orphanage in Haiti and said the walls were literally crumbling and although all the children survived they couldnt go back into the orphanage. They said the children are all considered non-existent in the eyes of the government now due to the earthquake. I say..get them out of there and forget the paperwork. I'm sure there are people here in the US standing in line waiting to adopt them.

Dolly:
I saw that they are working on this, they will be issuing passports from Washington to expedite the process and do away with some of the red tape.

Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE not focus on how "corrupt" the government is, or how "evil" these people are?? This is not time for politics. It is a time to get in and save as many people as we can. It's a time to help as many as we can.

Please lets not turn this into a political issue. There is too much at stake here, and it will not be very productive. If you want to talk politics, we have a political forum just for that purpose, lets keep it off this thread, Pretty please??

After all, no matter how "evil" or "corrupt" a country is, noone deserves what Haiti is going through right now!

Ladybass, this was the only thread on the earthquake. I will check with you before I have and express a dissenting opinion in the future since only those that agree have a right to post in here.

I have not posted that Haiti deserved anything bad, just an opinion from reading others opinions and thoughts.

Dolly:
I saw that they are working on this, they will be issuing passports from Washington to expedite the process and do away with some of the red tape.

Brwnigirl: You know it. People are just waiting for this children and we need to cut away the red tape and get things moving. The children will find good homes and care, just what they have always needed here in the States.

God Bless them all. Let's get the ball rolling.

Goz

Ladybass, this was the only thread on the earthquake. I will check with you before I have and express a dissenting opinion in the future since only those that agree have a right to post in here.

I have not posted that Haiti deserved anything bad, just an opinion from reading others opinions and thoughts.

I am not saying you have to agree with me to be able to post here. However we normally try to keep politics off of ANY thread/topic, unless it is in the political pavilion! It has ALWAYS been a rule here at websleuths.

This is NOT about politics, it is about helping people! No matter whether you believe a government is corrupt or not, noone in Haiti deserves what they are currently going through!!

How blessed are we that we was born or able to live in the USA and not have to live the hell these people have for many years. How blessed are we that our goverment has not been ran as their's has. How blessed are we that we can walk into any store and get a drink of fresh water from a fountain for FREE. How blessed are we to have foodstamps housing help etc if needed. HOw blessed are we that we have not been raised to believe and to have to fight for daily basic rights. HOW SAD is it that some don't understand that these people don't live there by CHOICE but that many are STUCK with no way out. They deserve help they deserve to be saved they deserve food water and medical treatment. Is our goverment perfect? Far from it but it is ran a hell a lot better then their's is.

How blessed are we to live in a Country that has basical schooling for our children for FREE. How blessed are we to live in the country of the free and how sad that when something like this happens there is always judge and think some are not worth saving. They live how they have been taught mostly by their goverment.

some say why are they are not in the USA? Why are the family members that live here not bringing them over? Do you not think if it was that easy that they would not be doing just that? But yet then we would have people complaining because they brung their family to the USA. We just can't win THEY CANT WIN.

Godbless us all to be living in a place where unfortunally the smallest things are taken forgranted.

what if you was born there? Stuck there? been taught they way they was? It's all they know of life and IMO they have acted better then some of our very own in the USA when we have had crisis.

and just to make sure you all know. I would loot from any store I could If I had not ate in days and had children and family members to feed. I would do all I could to pay the store back later but you bet I'd get food for my loved ones anyway I could ( well I wouldn't beat or murder someone) but yes I'd steal from a store.

We have not lived the life these people these HUMANS have let's not judge. If you don't want to give FINE but there is just no reason to keep going on and on about the problems this country has if you think for one second most that live there wouldn't change where they live and how they have to live then your kidding yourself. NOONE deserves to have happen what has happened to these people. They are human's with real feelings with real love with real hurt with real heartache. We are no better then they are we just happen to be blessed to be born or living in a place so much better then they are.

For God Sake these children and young and older people was born there and not by choice of their own. Please while your sitting in your home on your computer using your internet ( things we all take forgranted) think of the ones that have never had these choices in life.

I was watching Anderson Cooper last night and in the backround you could hear the people in a tent city singing. That to me is a testament to the character of the people of Haiti.Singing usually is a sign of hope,and despite all,these poor people still have that.God Bless them.

I am troubled with the fact that San Jay Gupta reported 2 days in a row that doctors are asked to pack up and leave for security reasons.(how many times can they do that?) Yet there seems to be no real security issues. :waitasec:
I am troubled by the fact that they are not helping us help them....And I was made aware tonight by a lady who is Haitian and has lived in NY since she was young and had adopted a Haitian baby and tried to bring packages to the orphanage prior to the devastation and was given the run around to get all sorts of papers filed and she did all that - then when they had all the papers in order she went down with the shipment (they did not expect her there and thought they can allocate the shipment wherever they want)
and the shipment was not allowed to go to the orphanage. This woman had to leave it in Haiti. :(
I do begin tonight to question their government, or if I would give to them again. I want to see what will happen with what they received to date.
So your question is a great one. The world is gathering a lot of money and resources.
BUT will the people benefit....:waitasec: Yes I do worry.

In some strange way it reminds me a little bit (not really) of FEMA and Katrina here in the USA
They had thousands of trailer homes ready for Katrina survivors sitting on parking lots while the people never got them. :( and slept in school cafeterias, and church benches. those trailer homes eventually became rusted, and useless. :(

yes, but even then, the trailers had some kind of contamination in them. How those trailers ever passed any kind of inspection is beyond me.
Alot of people were sent to TX to live. Their houses were GONE/ washed away when the levees broke. Alot WERE living in FEMA trailers though.

Here is a hospital in Haiti that desperately needs supplies, the family is from my area and will keep a facebook page up to show people the supplies aas they buy them. I think you have to watch the vid. but it was on our local News last night. He said they are running out of the most BASIC supplies such as hydrogen pyroxide, bandages, etc and alot of the staff arent showing up. This shws how desperate the Drs are down there:(

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=122774#comments

I am not saying you have to agree with me to be able to post here. However we normally try to keep politics off of ANY thread/topic, unless it is in the political pavilion! It has ALWAYS been a rule here at websleuths.

This is NOT about politics,
it is about helping people! No matter whether you believe a government is corrupt or not, noone in Haiti deserves what they are currently going through!!
Go girl go :woohoo:
But while it is not about politics. I too have thrown in statements about government.
because that is who is in power. And while we are blessed, and can give, and have to care about humanity governments have their own agendas.
So we all know there is a brake down in communication and transportation.
but it is outrageous that San Jay Gupta has had his staff pack up and relocate twice.
this was not about communications or transportation and it was BS about security. :(
So yes we care about the people, but the powers that be do need to fall in between the lines too. :(

yes, but even then, the trailers had some kind of contamination in them. How those trailers ever passed any kind of inspection is beyond me.
Alot of people were sent to TX to live. Their houses were GONE/ washed away when the levees broke. Alot WERE living in FEMA trailers though.
If you are talking about the trailers during Katrina those trailers were brand new - NO Contamination at all.
They got rusted after a few years in the parking lot. and had to be trashed. but they were brand spanking new when FEMA got them for the survivors.

Looks like Jon Borrows below has corrected me.
NONE the less the point being is WE WAISTED A LOT OF MONEY HERE THAT DID NOT GET TO ITS INTENDED GOAL...
We waisted it in MANY ways, I used the trailers just as an example.

KATRINA MONEY WAISTED.
msnbc.com Video Player

I was watching Anderson Cooper last night and in the backround you could hear the people in a tent city singing. That to me is a testament to the character of the people of Haiti. Singing usually is a sign of hope,and despite all,these poor people still have that.God Bless them.
BEAUTIFUL POST :blowkiss:
That is the beauty and resilience of the human spirit and survivors throughout history.
Like the song "We shall overcome" God Bless them.

Today I read a great article about -
Why does Israel Give even when it is not appreciated.
It was a great article but I just snipped one phrase.

The essence of the article is in this one statement, made bold.
The defining characteristic of greatness was Demonstrated by Moses

The willingness to intercede when witness to the difficulties faced by others.

You're right. The trailers had high concentrations of formaldehyde.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14011193/

So we all know there is a brake down in communication and transportation.
but it is outrageous that San Jay Gupta has had his staff pack up and relocate twice.
this was not about communications or transportation and it was BS about security. :(
So yes we care about the people, but the powers that be do need to fall in between the lines too. :(
It did not happen twice. What you saw Saturday night was a replay of the Friday night report. It did not happen TO Dr Gupta. It was a team of Belgian doctors who told him that the UN had told them they couldn't stay there that night (Friday night) and that they must leave. On Saturday the doctors returned. When asked about it on Saturday, the UN people said that they DID NOT order the doctors to leave.
Later in the day, on Saturday, it was reported that it was the Belgian doctors themselves who chose to leave and lied about the UN telling them to leave.
Its a little story, at least lets keep it straight and not twist it.
You are right that it was BS about security, but it had nothing to do with the UN.

Personally I think it's wonderful to see/read these passionate posts about Haiti & the Haitian people - unfortunately the discussions arise - as they often do - as the result of a current casatrophic tragedy. I wish that I had known more/cared more about Haiti & the Haitian people BEFORE January 12, 2010 - I hope that we'll all continue this discussion long after the media pulls out of Haiti. With that said, when I see faces of trauma & tragedy on my tv, I see human beings suffering AND that my friends is what we all are, before & beyond being American, Haitian, Chinese, French, Australian, Russian..., we are human beings and when I see a FELLOW human being hurting, I respond - period. I was born in the USA. I could have been in Haiti but I wasn't. I don't know why but I'm reminded of the following;

"But for the grace of God go I."

It did not happen twice. What you saw Saturday night was a replay of the Friday night report. It did not happen TO Dr Gupta. It was a team of Belgian doctors who told him that the UN had told them they couldn't stay there that night (Friday night) and that they must leave. On Saturday the doctors returned. When asked about it on Saturday, the UN people said that they DID NOT order the doctors to leave.
Later in the day, on Saturday, it was reported that it was the Belgian doctors themselves who chose to leave and lied about the UN telling them to leave.
Its a little story, at least lets keep it straight and not twist it.
You are right that it was BS about security, but it had nothing to do with the UN.
Good keep straightening it out as it gets clear.
I saw the Friday one reported and posted it - then I read the Saturday one here.
I am really glad to hear this. :blowkiss: I was pretty upset.

U2 Records New Song for Haiti

@U2, January 16, 2010
By: Matt McGee

The Edge says U2 has recorded a new song as part of a Haiti charity project being organized by Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz. The comments aired on today's Dave Fanning radio show on 2FM, after a conversation Friday at Edge's house. Edge explains how the song came about:​

"Last night we wrote a song ... Bono got a call from a producer, Swizz. He and Jay-Z wanted to do something for Haiti. So, Bono came up with the phrase on the phone, and last night we were here, we wrote a song -- finished, recorded, and send it back to them. So, that might be the next thing you hear from us!"
http://www.atu2.com/news/u2-records-new-song-for-haiti.html

You can listen online via this page on 2FM. Click "Listen Back" at the top and make sure it says "Jan. 16 2010."​

Here is a hospital in Haiti that desperately needs supplies, the family is from my area and will keep a facebook page up to show people the supplies aas they buy them. I think you have to watch the vid. but it was on our local News last night. He said they are running out of the most BASIC supplies such as hydrogen pyroxide, bandages, etc and alot of the staff arent showing up. This shws how desperate the Drs are down there:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=122774#comments

I have already donated money, but am wondering about donating specific supplies. I know of a person travelling to Haiti in the next two weeks. I will post the link.
Is it better to give him cash or medical supplies at this point?

If you are in Oregon or Washington and you can, please help Yve..:woohoo:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/2010/01/ex-oregon_state_running_back_y.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lillianlily
Back