Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Terri Horman’s Friends Bought Phones For Privacy
POSTED: 12:54 pm PDT August 7, 2010
UPDATED: 1:02 pm PDT August 7, 2010

Friends of Terri Horman purchased disposal cell phones shortly after the father of missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman filed for a restraining order, FOX 12 confirmed Friday.

During the course of the investigation into Kyron’s disappearance, Terri Horman and her friends believed their other personal cell phones were being monitored. They purchased new ones for the sake of privacy.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24550452/detail.html

Note: I think this is our first confirmation of throwaways.

Friends of Terri Horman purchased disposal cell phones shortly after the father of missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman filed for a restraining order, FOX 12 confirmed Friday.

During the course of the investigation into Kyron’s disappearance, Terri Horman and her friends believed their other personal cell phones were being monitored. They purchased new ones for the sake of privacy.

They sure got their privacy, didn't they. I think I would allow LE to monitor my mundane cell calls for a few weeks and deal with it if I were innocent, rather than be dragged in front of the GJ with media eye on me in front of the world. Hows that so-called privacy thing working out for ya!

from what we can see from her resume, she has not had a full-time teaching job...subsitute and volunteer positions only...so again, misleading information, IMO...

I know from experience that substitute positions can keep one as busy as a full-time job. With as many schools around the Portland area as there are, and if she registered with most of them, she could have been teaching about every day.
Some fill-in jobs end up being full-time permanent.
I worked at one place on a call-in basis, and had to refuse a few times just so I could get a day off.

I know from experience that substitute positions can keep one as busy as a full-time job. With as many schools around the Portland area as there are, and if she registered with most of them, she could have been teaching about every day.
Some fill-in jobs end up being full-time permanent.
I worked at one place on a call-in basis, and had to refuse a few times just so I could get a day off.

I am a teacher in a far away state where it is difficult to get subs even though we have three colleges/universities in the immediate area.

I think it is misleading to NOT say that she was a substitute teacher. If she was expecting to get a job, I think someone in a position of hiring might raise an eyebrow when the truth came out.

In my state, most of the special education areas that she named require a separate license. I don't know how it is in Oregon.

I have never met anyone who has that many special education licenses.

They sure got their privacy, didn't they. I think I would allow LE to monitor my mundane cell calls for a few weeks and deal with it if I were innocent, rather than be dragged in front of the GJ with media eye on me in front of the world. Hows that so-called privacy thing working out for ya!

Well, they did get their privacy if they only chatted on the phones. If they texted, the texts are now known...

I am a teacher in a far away state where it is difficult to get subs even though we have three colleges/universities in the immediate area.

I think it is misleading to NOT say that she was a substitute teacher. If she was expecting to get a job, I think someone in a position of hiring might raise an eyebrow when the truth came out.

In my state, most of the special education areas that she named require a separate license. I don't know how it is in Oregon.

I have never met anyone who has that many special education licenses.

BBM

Two of my friends here in Oregon were/are special ed teachers. My one friend was hired to teach special ed in high school without a special ed license and was allowed to get it concurrently. (Yes she was busy!) They were that desperate for special ed teachers. But in a nutshell, yes you need a separate license, I don't know about having an endorsement for each specialty area.

For specifics, this link to the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission may help:

http://www.tspc.state.or.us/

Talk about cell phones purchased under false names, the who the why and the how...... here. There is also a new thread if you want to talk in depth generally about Terri or the other parties in theory......... just giving you another alternative to theorize more folks. The reason we are doing that is because sometimes when we start theorizing it leads to other actions or inactions which then takes the thread OT........ so theory is fine here about the phones...... but a more detailed theorizing of the actions of the players is available now.

Find other threads to talk about the reasons you feel Terri is guilty or innocent........ Please and Thanks.

Thanks, Gram!

Their privacy is now the subject of an investigation of a missing child. :blushing: them. Good luck to them having a GJ believe this was done for any good reason.

So far, those who know Horman have only good things to say about her and her parenting skills. The second of her three husbands, Richard Ecker, who adopted James before he and Horman divorced, told The Oregonian, "She would never hurt a child."

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20397133,00.html

The only people I've heard say ANYTHING bad about TH is KH & DS. Has anyone heard anyone else say anything bad about her?
Not in the MSM (well, the gym owner called her odd or something similar).

Any other opinions, negative and positive, from other, um, venues...are rumor and can't be discussed on this board.

I take what's in the MSM with a grain of salt, as both people who support TH and those who don't, with the exception of DY, KH, and TY are keeping their mouths shut for a variety of very good reasons.

BBM

Two of my friends here in Oregon were/are special ed teachers. My one friend was hired to teach special ed in high school without a special ed license and was allowed to get it concurrently. (Yes she was busy!) They were that desperate for special ed teachers. But in a nutshell, yes you need a separate license, I don't know about having an endorsement for each specialty area.

For specifics, this link to the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission may help:

http://www.tspc.state.or.us/

We have the temporary license for special education here as well as it is the same thing as far as getting special education teachers. However, the teacher does have to get the license while they are working in the job.

Here it's called a provisional license.

I'm confused. Why would the friends have been giving a name when they bought the phones, anyhow? I don't know how other companies work, but some years back when I bought a Tracfone, I just walked into the store and handed over the cash and they handed me the box. Now, I can understand that they might have used aliases when they activated the phones - or do the sellers activate the phones these days?

I'm confused. Why would the friends have been giving a name when they bought the phones, anyhow? I don't know how other companies work, but some years back when I bought a Tracfone, I just walked into the store and handed over the cash and they handed me the box. Now, I can understand that they might have used aliases when they activated the phones - or do the sellers activate the phones these days?

Very good question.. The answer is no the sellers do not activate the phones. You purchase it anonymously(if paid by cash) from any store and you, yourself activate from another phone by following automated prompts. At that point it asks for a name, email address, and zip code(which of course are in no way verified, so easily could be falsified)... But don't understand the statements of "they just blurted out fake name at the store"... can anyone point me to where this was actually being reported that the friends said this about giving the fake names... TIA

The piece that is missing here is an understanding of Terri's personality. Most everything we know about her personality came from her FB page early on. We don't even know what her voice sounds like. If someone who knew her could tell us what she is like, maybe all this would be clearer.

Is she over-the-top funny? When you meet her do you feel like you've known her forever? Do her friends admire her for taking risks? Does she come off as extremely smart? Is hanging around with her always a party?

I wish some of Terri's friends would speak to their reasons for loyalty. So far the public has heard only about these awful choices she seems to be making.

The friends themselves are the ones who are going to have to explain why they would buy the cell phones for someone under these conditions.

For me, I would love to know what they found so compelling about Terri...

ITA with you, citigirl.:woohoo:

We do need/want an understanding of Terri's personality. I do wonder if we'll ever get that. IF it turns out that she is/seems to be a sociopath, of course, we still won't truly understand her because you can't understand a sociopath unless you are one. And, I must say, I honestly don't think IF even sociopaths actually understand other sociopaths.

We don't even know what her voice sounds like. If someone who knew her could tell us what she is like, maybe all this would be clearer.

Yes, not having actually heard her voice is a very interesting aspect of this case to me. And, we've barely heard Kyron's actual voice. The two people everyone seems to have talked about the most are the two people whose "voices" we don't really know. Hearing more of Kyron's would probably just break our hearts more, and hearing TH's would sure give us more insight.

Is she over-the-top funny? When you meet her do you feel like you've known her forever? Do her friends admire her for taking risks? Does she come off as extremely smart? Is hanging around with her always a party?

Such great questions! We know even sociopaths can be charmers -- Scott Peterson, "The Golden Boy," always comes to mind for me when I think of this. And, I've thought about him a lot during this case.

Remember how different he was when courting Amber as opposed to how he was simultaneously being so weird in his public appearances? Also, it was when Laci's family first found out from LE that Scott was having an affair that they suddenly had to face the reality of a different Scott than they thought they had known -- and that's when the family "split" happened. And, here we are with the family split having occurred in Ky's case after the whole text/sexting alleged MFH fiasco was revealed.

So, I do think TH clearly has her "charms" and is a deft manipulator. And you're right, her "friends themselves are the ones who are going to have to explain why they would buy the cell phones" for her in a very compromising situation.

I think DDS, with her law enforcement upbringing, would know more than the other friend/friends when it comes to things like possible obstruction of justice. I kinda' doubt that term was actually bandied about, however, I would think DDS would know better.

I do think DDS may have some very misdirected ideas about, and, perhaps an overly zealous approach to individual constitutional rights -- and that the others (excluding TH) perhaps just got caught up in "The Batphone Sisterhood." I don't know if I can believe that TH would have even cared about breaking laws at that point. Just MOO.

For me, I would love to know what they found so compelling about Terri...

Yes! I do believe (from past experience) and think (from lots of research) that there is something "mysterious" and trance-like that can envelop the people closest to individuals with certain personality disorders.

I think for some people, it can be like watching a really scary movie -- people may be a bit numbed out, yet excited and horrified at the same time -- and they stay involved just to see what's going to happen next. I call this "The Little Red Riding Hood syndrome.")

I also believe even basically really good people can get caught up in giving someone too much benefit of the doubt, being "followers," being afraid of what may happen to them if they wake up and back out of an increasingly hinky situation. (My spellcheck program always changes "hinky" to "hanky," so while I ponder the deeper meaning of this, I also always need to make sure I've corrected the dang program to say what I really want to say.) I call this second basically good people situation I just described "The Emperor's New Clothes."

And then, there are those of us who (hopefully FINALLY) have been around the block enough to see crazy-making situations shortly after their conception and are ready and willing to scream at the top of their lungs:

"No, no, stop! In fact, stop -- and then run like hell! Do you really think that's your Grandma? Give me a break!"

"No, no, stop! Can you honestly keep looking at that naked-as-a-blue jay Emperor and seriously say you like his outfit?

"No, no, stop! Don't promise Rumpelstiltskin your first born child for spinning all that straw into gold for you. You may think you may not even ever have children, but believe me Honey, if you do, there will be a payday a commin' in about nine months!"

"No, no, stop!
Don't go into the woods when there's that insidious fog swirling around your ankles!"

I call this the "No, no, stop! Syndrome" -- BIG surprise here, right? -- and we're lucky if we actually have this syndrome. It tends to keep one:

*Away from giving wide open access to anyone who accesses one's FB

*Hiring landscapers who just might be talked/sexted into doing a little MFH on the side

*Buying batphones for other people, or even for yourself under a fake name.

I wonder what the likelihood is that DeDe and the other woman were contacted by a third party in the hopes that they could get close to Terri and try to get the inside scoop with the promise of a big payoff for their efforts.

I wonder what the fake name given was?

Something like Mary Jones or Sue Smith being given at two different times might not be such a red flag... BUT a more unique name...that is another story.

I definitely agree.

From my experience working for execs at Exxon, the Big-B, and others, may execs are dumber that a box of rocks. LOL just look at our politicians who are in positions of power.

:dance:

I wonder what the likelihood is that DeDe and the other woman were contacted by a third party in the hopes that they could get close to Terri and try to get the inside scoop with the promise of a big payoff for their efforts.

The news report uses unnamed sources yet again. Obviously it's one of the phone girls because who else would know about the secret phones outside of the GJ panel. So much for the need for privacy when one of them has been blabbing all along. Color me confused.

I can't help but wonder if this "source" has been one of our main "sources" all along. Debs, I agree someone is dishing. It makes me sick to think it might be the lure of a big payoff.

If that were the case, then it would demonstrate that almost everybody who knows Terri suspects her. It would take a group of friends who are awfully disloyal and greedy to have gone into this phone thing for money. I just don't think this scenario is very likely at all.

[FONT="Tahoma" (snip)...I do think DDS may have some very misdirected ideas about, and, perhaps an overly zealous approach to individual constitutional rights -- and that the others (excluding TH) perhaps just got caught up in "The Batphone Sisterhood." I don't know if I can believe that TH would have even cared about breaking laws at that point. Just MOO.
[/FONT]

BBM1 What does this mean?

BBM2 What laws were broken?

It's not illegal to buy a prepaid phone anonymously. ( IIRC, there has been some legislation, or perhaps it is only store policy, to limit the number of throwaway phones which may be purchased at one time; but those restrictions were put in place to make things harder for drug dealers and terrorists, some of whom have bought
100s at a time. )

I've bought a good many prepaid phones, mainly because my son loses his with some regularity, and the cheap phones go bad, as well. Still more economical than buying one with a plan. I imagine that "cheaters" have bought them as well. Since in some states adultery is still a prosecutable crime, does that make the puprchase of those phones a crime?

If that were the case, then it would demonstrate that almost everybody who knows Terri suspects her. It would take a group of friends who are awfully disloyal and greedy to have gone into this phone thing for money. I just don't think this scenario is very likely at all.

I guess I was looking at it not from a level of suspicion, but from a level of capitalistic greed. If these two women might (not saying they are, just speculating here) have determined to turn a profit with inside information.

If we've seen nothing since beautiful Caylee disappeared, is that there is no level to which people will sink to make a buck off a little child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper
Back