8.05.10 -Sources: 2 friends gave Terri Horman cell phones

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You are right, of course. They have every right to buy multiple disposable phones at odd locations under fake names for the purpose of communicating with their loved ones from the home of their friend who is the exclusive focus of a criminal investigation for, at best, conspiracy to commit murder and, at worst, murder in the first degree of her own stepchild. I was merely suggesting what they might be charged with if it turns out they weren't just talking to their loved ones about when to pick little Johnny up from soccer practice and such. jmoo

:croc: :dance: :thumb: :aktion033:

she did not say that it was a stupid thing to do and that she regrets it. it was again that pesky unnamed source. which means nothing.

They didn't name her, but they directly quoted her as saying it was "stupid," and that she regrets it. That certainly does not mean nothing. I don't know where the idea got started on here that unnamed sources really just mean that the newspaper or t.v. station just made up people and quotations, but that is not at all how journalism works.

Do you believe that all these women were/are in a conspiracy to cover up MFH re Kaine, or kidnapping or homicide re Kyron? I find it hard to envision all these plain ordinary normal everyday women banding together to murder one friend's husband, or even more unbelievable, to murder or kidnap one friend's stepchild. And with no evidence, I just can't get there. That's like a really horrific horror movie.

No, I really wouldn't believe that. But I would believe that a group of friends who believe that LE is mistakenly focusing on one of them, might get phones to help that one elude LE scrutiny.

I agree with the idea the phones were purchased for temp use while staying with TH, especially since our local poster freefallz confirmed that, when she was driving in the area a few weeks ago, she couldn't get a signal but her friend with AT&T service could.

However, I don't think these ladies really thought it through when they decided to be surreptitious about it - I don't think they anticipated how it might be interpreted by LE if it came out they used an alias to buy these phones. Personally, I think they expected the secret phone purchases to remain secret (and probably didn't expect LE would find out), which is dumber than dumb IMO, especially if they believed LE was monitoring their communications (and by de facto, them) due to their proximity to the investigation. Of course LE would find out, sooner or later.

It goes to show how thoroughly LE has been looking into TH & her associates (especially after the alleged MFH ordeal), because the secret phones WERE discovered. Probably, IMO, during one of those 3-hours long interviews we've read TH's friends underwent, or perhaps during the home searches. Or, it could be LE found out about the phones prior to the home searches, & that led to LE requesting search warrants.

I'm skeptical that the alias was a spur of the moment idea, especially since phones were purchased @ 2 two separate locations on two successive days using the same alias. IMO, it was at least preplanned to purchase the 2nd set of phones on day 2 using the same fake name . Maybe the 1st use of the alias was spur of the moment, but not the 2nd. MOO

I'm interested in the identity of the person who bought the 2nd set of phones. I'm certain LE knows.

As I've stated before - it's NOT a good idea to engage in secretive behavior if one is even peripherally associated with a criminal investigation. It leads to LE suspicion & is the quickest way to place oneself in LE's crosshairs, and IMO, justifiably.

I've also stated before that I'm a proponent of privacy. I value my privacy & guard it zealously. I'm not, however, a proponent of secretive behavior in order to avoid being monitored by LE during a criminal investigation (even if that behavior may have innocent intentions).

Do you believe that all these women were/are in a conspiracy to cover up MFH re Kaine, or kidnapping or homicide re Kyron? I find it hard to envision all these plain ordinary normal everyday women banding together to murder one friend's husband, or even more unbelievable, to murder or kidnap one friend's stepchild. And with no evidence, I just can't get there. That's like a really horrific horror movie.

No, but I can't imagine regular, suburban moms going out and buying batphones under false aliases either (that so sounds like TV or the movies). It shows they were willing to do something underhanded for a friend, and they knew it was underhanded or they wouldn't have used false names. Who knows what else she might have convinced them to do? Sometimes what the surface tells you is not what the real person is. Hopefully, they learned their lesson. I don't think Terri is worth going to jail to them or they wouldn't be talking and allowing searches.

No, I don't necessarily believe that -- although stranger things have happened. But I don't know that they aren't, either. All I know is that their behavior is inappropriate in the extreme, imo, and makes them look very, very suspicious, also imo. The point of my last post was (1) to state all of the reasons why their behavior seems so very, very suspicious to me; and (2) to re-state that the point of my first post was just to say what they might be guilty of if they are somehow criminally involved. Not that they ARE guilty of it, for sure. I try to avoid stating things in absolute terms on WS b/c I thinks that's the way the site rolls. But I'm new, so maybe being overly cautious.

My personal belief is that ifthis group of women is guilty of obstructing justice and/or AATH, it is more likely that they thought they were doing a *good* thing rather than a bad thing -- even if they believed that a *crime* in the technical sense, had been committed. But, as I said, stranger things have happened, and you just never know till you know.jmoo

Obstruction of justice is VERY hard to prove. Unless they had those cell phones tapped, I don't see how they can prove what their intent was.
And as for aiding and abetting... how can you do that when someone was not named as a suspect and has yet to be charged? That would indicate they had a part in disappearing Kyron. You cannot be prosecuted for helping a friend, or advising a friend, as long as you don't take part in the crime or have any knowledge of the crime.

Obstruction of justice is VERY hard to prove. Unless they had those cell phones tapped, I don't see how they can prove what their intent was.
And as for aiding and abetting... how can you do that when someone was not named as a suspect and has yet to be charged? That would indicate they had a part in disappearing Kyron. You cannot be prosecuted for helping a friend, or advising a friend, as long as you don't take part in the crime or have any knowledge of the crime.

Actually, yes you can. Many women have gone to jail for unwittingly helping out their boyfriends or husbands. You don't have to be aware that a crime has happened. Buying phones with false aliases, even if innocent, could land them in jail if Terri's intention was to keep information from the police. They could be in real trouble for this regardless if they knew that Terri had a done a crime or not. I've heard stories all the time of people going to jail because someone else did a crime and they swear they had no idea that that person did a crime or that they helped them get away with a crime.

Actually, yes you can. Many women have gone to jail for unwittingly helping out their boyfriends or husbands. You don't have to be aware that a crime has happened. Buying phones with false aliases, even if innocent, could land them in jail if Terri's intention was to keep information from the police. They could be in real trouble for this regardless if they knew that Terri had a done a crime or not. I've heard stories all the time of people going to jail because someone else did a crime and they swear they had no idea that that person did a crime or that they helped them get away with a crime.

Do we have information now which proves this was Terri's idea?

They didn't name her, but they directly quoted her as saying it was "stupid," and that she regrets it. That certainly does not mean nothing. I don't know where the idea got started on here that unnamed sources really just mean that the newspaper or t.v. station just made up people and quotations, but that is not at all how journalism works.

"THEY" are no one. I don't know where the idea got started on here that unnamed sources really mean ANYTHING - they do not. They (the newspaper or tv) just DO and CAN make anything up.

Do we have information now which proves this was Terri's idea?

So they all just spontaneously decided to use the same alias at two stores to buy phones so that they could all have their privacy and talk to Terri? Why is it unbelievable that Terri is the ringleader here? Now there's no proof of that, but unless they are all psychic, I doubt this came around purely spontaneously. It had to be someone's idea, we just don't know whose yet.

plus, they wouldn't necessarily think they were abetting kidnapping in the truest sense, or murder . I think, if they were involved in some not totally innocent way, they may have thought they were actually doing a good thing -- and not have given much thought to (a) whether it was STILL a crime; (b) if they were being sold a total bill of goods by th. jmoo.

"THEY" are no one. I don't know where the idea got started on here that unnamed sources really mean ANYTHING - they do not. They (the newspaper or tv) just DO and CAN make anything up.
I thought when a journalist used quotes around what someone said, that is what they are doing, quoting them? If they quote them and that's not what the person said, isn't that when law suits can come in? Just asking.

I looked for an old Dede thread to bring forward to discuss this, but couldn't find one. What occurred to me now is that, when Kaine called out Dede and said "She is advising others to do things not in the best interest of our son," he might have meant that Dede is the one who suggested the friends all buy new cell phones.

If this is true, it shows Dede taking a leadership role in this obstruction....and who knows what else she has led?

I wonder what the likelihood is that DeDe and the other woman were contacted by a third party in the hopes that they could get close to Terri and try to get the inside scoop with the promise of a big payoff for their efforts.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out if the press or the worried relatives had approached Terri's friends to find out stuff but IMO getting bat phones to do so wasn't necessary. If they were sleuthing Terri for somebody I imagine they would have wanted verifiable evidence of what they found out and bat phones could have made it more difficult if they can't be traced to Terri. Say, if Terri sends a suspicious msg revealing Kyron's location from the bat phone but she tosses the phone and it is never verified to have been in her possession and the security cameras show that the friend bought it, so who would be in trouble for that message later, Terri or the friend?

Anyway, I think they might have been likely to drop hints to that effect once it became clear that THEIR actions are deemed suspicious in the media. IMO you're more likely to play Nancy Drew if you can do so secretly but if people start casting a hinky shade on what you've been doing you might think the gig was up and be more likely to offer explanations such as "I meant well, I thought I could help finding Kyron" than "I wanted to help and support Terri and we needed our conversations to remain private from LE but it was a stupid thing to do and I regret it now".

When this story first came out about the batphones, people said it couldn't be true because TH wouldn't be that stupid.

Then they said it had to be just one phone and the whole thing must be a misunderstanding or something.

The other day people here said it had to be just one phone from either DeDe or Michael Whatsit because her friends just wouldn't be that dumb.

However now we have confirmation of several phones and testimony to a Grand Jury about those phones and why they were bought - to avoide LE overhearing their conversations.

So this has actually proven that the "unnamed sources" were not making things up!

I think the reporting on this case so far has been spot on. Freedom of the press means they do not have to name their sources. JMO

I looked for an old Dede thread to bring forward to discuss this, but couldn't find one. What occurred to me now is that, when Kaine called out Dede and said "She is advising others to do things not in the best interest of our son," he might have meant that Dede is the one who suggested the friends all buy new cell phones.

If this is true, it shows Dede taking a leadership role in this obstruction....and who knows what else she has led?
I think alot more is going to come out!

I guess I was looking at it not from a level of suspicion, but from a level of capitalistic greed. If these two women might (not saying they are, just speculating here) have determined to turn a profit with inside information.

If we've seen nothing since beautiful Caylee disappeared, is that there is no level to which people will sink to make a buck off a little child.

I agree totally. I'm thinking IF Terri is guilty, like I think she is, that it was about $$$ and revenge. Get back at KH for who knows what, and $$ from the lawsuit against the school.

Aren't there Fred Meyers everywhere up there too? I've seen the throwaway phones sold in the "impulse buy" section of the Freddie's checkout line! It would make more sense to me to think, "Oh, maybe TH could use one of these" vs. driving over the river to buy phones. Definitely far more premeditated and sneaky than befuddled and trying to be helpful. :cow:

Can I just give myself points for being psychic? Cool, thanks! :angel: :D ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juliehollz
Back