8/20 Ron takes plea, will testify in Haleighs trial

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So...what if there never is a trial regarding Haleigh?? 2 freebies for dear Ronald. :furious:

Were TN and GGS there? High fiving and blowing kisses to their darling Ronald?

Ronald Cummings Pleads Guilty to Three of 5 Drug Charges in Plea Deal
Crystal Sheffield, the mother of Haleigh was in the courtroom, joined by several family members.

TJ Hart Posted: Friday, 20 August 2010
"Snip" http://www.thesky973.com/pages/7956251.php

Ronald Cummings withdrew his not guilty plea in the drug trafficking cases against him.
Prosecutors agreed to drop two of the five cases against Cummings, and he entered a guilty plea in the other three.

One case carries a minimum sentence of 3 years with a 10-year max in prison, .

Two have minimums of 10 years each with maximums of 30.

Ronald Cummings is slated to be sentenced Sept. 24.

A blogger claims Sheffield and her mother were seen outside the courthouse this morning pointing at Lisa Croslin who was standing near a bus stop at that time.
so...Ron can get 70 years? I hope the judge throws the book at him & uses the same excuse that he did for Tommy. dealing during a missing child investigation. shameful. also, I'd like the judge to address him not 'cooperating' with LE earlier, marrying Misty, the dead rat he sent Tommy, & then hanging with this family. & yes...the judge owes the public those answers. Ron is getting a sweet deal, & he owes us some explanations, in exchange.

The question still remains as to why RC would not testify to those "facts" in any potential trial anyway.

In other words, why would he NOT testify in any potential trial? Why would he purposely sit back in any potential trial and not offer up this same information? Why did it take a plea deal to get him to agree to do this? The victim in any potential trial is HIS OWN DAUGHTER.

Why would he have to be given a plea deal to get on a witness stand and tell what he knows when it would mean justice for his missing and presumed dead baby daughter?

What is he hiding?

He doesn't have to be hiding anything. He has a lawyer whose job is to get the best possible outcome for Ron, which would include putting the people who killed his daughter in jail and spending as little time in prison as possible. If LE was offering a plea deal, he would have been stupid to turn it down, given the potential 90-year sentence for selling a few hundred pills. Really, if LE has eliminated him as a suspect in Haleigh's murder, then I can't see a reason in the world for him to do life in prison. And as long as he testifies, and her killers go to prison and stay there, that's the best that we can hope for now. There is no contradiction between wanting justice for his daughter and allowing his lawyer to negotiate the best terms on the drug sentence (and perhaps immunity from prosecution if he has to discuss other crimes while testifying against Misty--e.g., other drug sales, etc.). Ron after all has TWO children. Why would we hope that he just abandons Junior and makes no attempt to salvage some opportunity to be a father to him? Ron has a responsibility to fight for as much of his own life as he can get. The great irony here is that, at last, Ron Cummings is working inside the system, taking his consequences, following the legal process, going to prison without complaint--and still that isn't enough. He's the only human in American who shouldn't take an offered plea deal because the public thinks he should pay for supposedly putting a rat in a mailbox? Marrying Misty? Who does life in prison for that kind of stuff?

Ron is not a suspect in Haleigh's murder. The people who are suspects are pointing the finger at each other. If he isn't a suspect, he's a victim, and I for one think he is already enduring the worst possible punishment for his immaturity, arrogance and bad choices. But whatever he did or didn't do, Ron did not invite people into his home to assault, kidnap and murder his daughter. That puts him into a very different category from those who attacked a little girl in her own bed and dumped her in a river or landfill or whatever story the Croslins are peddling today.

He doesn't have to be hiding anything. He has a lawyer whose job is to get the best possible outcome for Ron, which would include putting the people who killed his daughter in jail and spending as little time in prison as possible. If LE was offering a plea deal, he would have been stupid to turn it down, given the potential 90-year sentence for selling a few hundred pills. Really, if LE has eliminated him as a suspect in Haleigh's murder, then I can't see a reason in the world for him to do life in prison. And as long as he testifies, and her killers go to prison and stay there, that's the best that we can hope for now.

Ron is not a suspect in Haleigh's murder. The people who are suspects are pointing the finger at each other. If he isn't a suspect, he's a victim, and I for one think he is already enduring the worst possible punishment for his immaturity, arrogance and bad choices. But whatever he did or didn't do, Ron did not invite people into his home to assault, kidnap and murder his daughter.
I do see your point, but what I dont understand is -- what is the motive to offer a plea deal (or dropped charges, as the case may be) on testimony that would be already forthcoming?

TIA

Here is Misty's chance and Tommy's to. To no surprise Ron, the one with the longest criminal record and more charges than Hope, Donna, and Tommy got 2of his charges dropped. Maybe this will be an eye opener for the rest of them. At least I would hope so anyway. This has to come to an end, for Haleigh's sake I could care less about the ones that have been lying, dealing, stealing, and drugging it up while she is still missing. As CS said, they can all rot in Jail! :furious:

I think it could go one of two ways, either convince them that Ron has connections and intimidate them further to keep quiet ..... or anger them and turn them on Ron.

He doesn't have to be hiding anything. He has a lawyer whose job is to get the best possible outcome for Ron, which would include putting the people who killed his daughter in jail and spending as little time in prison as possible. If LE was offering a plea deal, he would have been stupid to turn it down, given the potential 90-year sentence for selling a few hundred pills. Really, if LE has eliminated him as a suspect in Haleigh's murder, then I can't see a reason in the world for him to do life in prison. And as long as he testifies, and her killers go to prison and stay there, that's the best that we can hope for now.

Ron is not a suspect in Haleigh's murder. The people who are suspects are pointing the finger at each other. If he isn't a suspect, he's a victim, and I for one think he is already enduring the worst possible punishment for his immaturity, arrogance and bad choices. But whatever he did or didn't do, Ron did not invite people into his home to assault, kidnap and murder his daughter.
what punishment is Ron enduring? being locked up on drug charges? which he shouldn't have doing ? while he should've been trying to find his daughter? Do you think he was suffering, while living & running with Misty? while road raging with Misty? I'm sorry, but I think Ron had put Haleigh behind him, had moved on, & was having fun. Having fun trafficking drugs, & snitching & eating pills. Those are the facts of what he was doing. But no, I don't guess he technically extended an invitation to someone to do those things to his daughter. but that is, IMO, small consolation.

He doesn't have to be hiding anything. He has a lawyer whose job is to get the best possible outcome for Ron, which would include putting the people who killed his daughter in jail and spending as little time in prison as possible. If LE was offering a plea deal, he would have been stupid to turn it down, given the potential 90-year sentence for selling a few hundred pills. Really, if LE has eliminated him as a suspect in Haleigh's murder, then I can't see a reason in the world for him to do life in prison. And as long as he testifies, and her killers go to prison and stay there, that's the best that we can hope for now. There is no contradiction between wanting justice for his daughter and allowing his lawyer to negotiate the best terms on the drug sentence (and perhaps immunity from prosecution if he has to discuss other crimes while testifying against Misty--e.g., other drug sales, etc.). Ron after all has TWO children. Why would we hope that he just abandons Junior and makes no attempt to salvage some opportunity to be a father to him? Ron has a responsibility to fight for as much of his own life as he can get. The great irony here is that, at last, Ron Cummings is working inside the system, taking his consequences, following the legal process, going to prison without complaint--and still that isn't enough. He's the only human in American who shouldn't take an offered plea deal because the public thinks he should pay for supposedly putting a rat in a mailbox? Marrying Misty? Who does life in prison for that kind of stuff?

bbm

I agree that Ron did not invite people into his home to assault, kidnap and murder his daughter; I think either he did it - (directly or indirectly, as in she got into his stash, for example) - or he knows, and has known all along and refused to state, what happened to Haleigh -- which speaks to the whole plea deal notion.

moo

I do see your point, but what I dont understand is -- what is the motive to offer a plea deal (or dropped charges, as the case may be) on testimony that would be already forthcoming?

TIA

It appears to me that Shoemaker was obviously shopping for a plea deal and LE were wanting to give one.

At first the plea deal was all supposedly about Ron testifying against Misty and Tommy for the drug charges. When they both pled No Contest it made that one moot.

So they went for a plea deal related to the HaLeigh case but do not want to tarnish or implicate Ron so the best excuse was to connect it to the timeline leading to HaLeigh going missing.

As many have stated, wouldn't Ron be more than willing to testify to anything related to his missing daughter anyway so why the need for a plea deal to guarantee and lock it in?

I agree that Shoemaker might have just sought an opportunity, any opportunity to reduce Ron's charges BUT it seems that LE was open to that and open to it just being the timeline based on IF it goes to trial...... ever.

I honestly think that TN has connections from her former employ and those connections are influencing folks, calling in favors in order to help Ron out. Bias.

none of this surprises me. I always thought that Ron would be the 1st to crack, because he's always looking out for his own best interest. But...I think about Hope, reportedly saying that they were all supposed to plead the same, & I think of Ron's statements about Misty being coerced, & how he was disappointed that she hadn't confided in him. These are just a couple of examples, IMO, in which he was keeping these people from snitching...so he could. & get the deal. very manipulative, IMO.

Originally Posted by kant
....snip

....what I dont understand is -- what is the motive to offer a plea deal (or dropped charges, as the case may be) on testimony that would be already forthcoming?

TIA
It appears to me that Shoemaker was obviously shopping for a plea deal and LE were wanting to give one.

At first the plea deal was all supposedly about Ron testifying against Misty and Tommy for the drug charges. When they both pled No Contest it made that one moot.

So they went for a plea deal related to the HaLeigh case but do not want to tarnish or implicate Ron so the best excuse was to connect it to the timeline leading to HaLeigh going missing.

As many have stated, wouldn't Ron be more than willing to testify to anything related to his missing daughter anyway so why the need for a plea deal to guarantee and lock it in?

I agree that Shoemaker might have just sought an opportunity, any opportunity to reduce Ron's charges BUT it seems that LE was open to that and open to it just being the timeline based on IF it goes to trial...... ever.

I honestly think that TN has connections from her former employ and those connections are influencing folks, calling in favors in order to help Ron out. Bias.

I agree on the Ron points and on the favors idea. (What was TN's point in wearing her LE-related emblazoned jacket, or whatever it was, to the home that night?)

[And, btw, for clarity I should have said "presumably" forthcoming.] :-)

moo

This stinks worse than a dead rat!
If Ron's testimony is needed at a trial for Haleigh in the future, cut him a deal then, not now, the SA has the power to do that. No one has been arrested and there is no trial looming for her. What if someone gets charged in her case and plea out? There will be no trial to testify at!
That is all I am going to say on this subject, if I say more I will no longer be a member here, back to lurkdom!

I know Twall, I don't understand how you get a deal on an IF. Boggles my mind it does.

Amen!

He played everyone for his own advantage.

This stinks worse than a dead rat!
If Ron's testimony is needed at a trial for Haleigh in the future, cut him a deal then, not now, the SA has the power to do that. No one has been arrested and there is no trial looming for her. What if someone gets charged in her case and plea out? There will be no trial to testify at!
That is all I am going to say on this subject, if I say more I will no longer be a member here, back to lurkdom!

... unless sah-um's about to pop that we dont know of yet.

Hey, I feel your frustration. I've been either in lurkdom or in "step-away-from-the-computer-before-my-head-explodes" mode for some days/weeks now... for the reasons you cite... and others. :-)

I know, right? I know.

ETA: Hey, TEH! :-)

Amen!

He played everyone for his own advantage.
But I guess that's one advantage in an older man, running with teens. Those teens are gullible & easily manipulated. live & learn, I guess. now back to lurking for me too.

i am seriously sick to my stomach over this.... ALL OF IT!!!!

I really hope all the players are very proud of themselves..i am going to back to reading before i get myself in trouble..... (i am so angry!)

I don't think TJ's reporting is accurate, I haven't read up on today's proceedings yet but it is my understanding 2 of Ron's charges carry a 15 yr. min. man., not 10 yrs. Unless the state ok'd that, also, if so THUD.

The only hope I have left for any Justice for Haleigh is that this deal will tick whomever has info. on Haleigh's demise off so bad they will spill the beans for a better deal than Ron's!
It's a slim chance at best but it is all I have left.
Poor Haleigh. :(

So...what if there never is a trial regarding Haleigh?? 2 freebies for dear Ronald. :furious:

Were TN and GGS there? High fiving and blowing kisses to their darling Ronald?

BBM

Not exactly high fiving/blowing kisses, but yes, they were there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shayput1996
Back