8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you never really know, Wonder. The Husband did make some noise about an independent autopsy, but I just don't see that happening. And it seems like the police have released everything pertinent - I can't think of any big timeline holes or unanswered questions (other than the "what was she thinking?" questions that we'll never have answers too).

Also, I will be dumfounded if these civil cases go to trial. I think they will be settled long before then.

An independent autopsy IS going to happen.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,545501,00.html?test=latestnews

I watched LKL tonight. Most certainly, there will be lawsuits coming down the pike. No new facts came to light and Daniel looked very very uncomfortable. The sister in law prompted him on some answers. LK asked why they did the press conference, why come on his show tonight, why not drop the entire matter and the same answer was offered - we want to clear Diane's name, she wasn't an alcoholic, internal organs showed not an alcoholic, something medical happened, TIA, absessed tooth, etc. Barbara did say they were going to exhume the body, something that I didn't hear before. I wonder if this will ever happen. I wanted LK to ask Daniel if he feared lawsuits resulting from this, but he didn't.

I'm glad an independent autopsy is going to happen. I have such a hard time with this story. Maybe she did drink and smoke pot - but thousands of drivers do that every day and very few of them end up going the wrong way on a one-direction highway.

I think the idea that someone slipped her something at McDonalds is totally plausiable (sp?). It doesn't have to make sense. Some kid may have thought it would be funny. Doesn't necessarily have to be the date rape drug, it could have been something else - done as a joke. With no intent to cause actual harm.

I also think the idea that the test results could be wrong or came out the way they did because of medical complications is worth checking out.

I guess I just think they should double check everything, especially if her internal organs do not show signs of habitual alcohol consumption.

Salem

ok I think something happened that morning with the husband. This lady was pissed. Why did she have all the kids? Why did the husband only take the dog? I know he said something about the camper license but that didn't stop him from taking a few of the kids. Where the 3 lil girls parents at the camp?
I don't think she was a closet alcoholic. I think she was pissed about something and dranked. I also believe she may have been smoking before she left. I can't see her smoking weed in front the kids..just my 2 cents

Why would someone spike a woman's drink at 10:00 in the morning in McDonald's of all places, especially a woman with 5 children in tow? It makes no sense at all. She drank the vodka, she smoked the pot, that is what happened.

I'm with you, Lexington - not to slam Ezra's thoughts because there is so much strangeness here I understand the need to "think outside the box", but the idea of someone slipping her a mickey on this trip just makes no sense whatsoever to me. Also, it seems like whatever substance she was slipped would be found in her and mentioned - and only pot and alcohol were found.

Wow, Trino - wow, wow, wow!!!

Her husband and those closest to her must really truly not buy that she was a secret drinker. I am fascinated and wait for the results with baited breath.

I will say that, were I the Husband's attorney, I would not want the tests re-done - I would not want the body exhumed unless I was darned sure something would be found to help my case.

I watched LKL tonight. Most certainly, there will be lawsuits coming down the pike. No new facts came to light and Daniel looked very very uncomfortable. The sister in law prompted him on some answers. LK asked why they did the press conference, why come on his show tonight, why not drop the entire matter and the same answer was offered - we want to clear Diane's name, she wasn't an alcoholic, internal organs showed not an alcoholic, something medical happened, TIA, absessed tooth, etc. Barbara did say they were going to exhume the body, something that I didn't hear before. I wonder if this will ever happen. I wanted LK to ask Daniel if he feared lawsuits resulting from this, but he didn't.

The "internal organs" thing is complete crap and I feel sorry for her Husband that he is hanging onto to such a specious fact to tell himself she wasn't a secret drinker.

I can definitely keep my mind open to the possibility that the tests were wrong and something medical my have happened, but that "internal organs" soundbite makes me wince every time I hear it.

CNN LARRY KING LIVE

Wrong-Way Crash Controversy

Aired September 1, 2009 - 21:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight, exclusive -- the man whose wife killed their daughter; their three nieces; three men, strangers in an incoming car; and herself in a horrific wrong way crash is here.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She did not do that.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: The medical examiner says she was drunk, maybe high on pot, when she drove head-on into tragedy on a New York highway.

But her family and friends say there's another explanation to this heartbreaking story and they say they've got evidence to prove it.

But how do they explain a bottle of vodka in her van?

(snipped)

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0909/01/lkl.01.html

The whole blaming the abscessed tooth thing bothers me. I've had an abscessed tooth and its not something that just hits you out of no where. It builds up gradually until the pain is completely unbearable. Theres no way you want to drive for several hours let alone get out of bed.

The whole blaming the abscessed tooth thing bothers me. I've had an abscessed tooth and its not something that just hits you out of no where. It builds up gradually until the pain is completely unbearable. Theres no way you want to drive for several hours let alone get out of bed.

I agree with you. They are literally grasping at straws.

Wow, Trino - wow, wow, wow!!!

Her husband and those closest to her must really truly not buy that she was a secret drinker. I am fascinated and wait for the results with baited breath.

I will say that, were I the Husband's attorney, I would not want the tests re-done - I would not want the body exhumed unless I was darned sure something would be found to help my case.

I don't think this will every happen, unless they can find a ME that is willing to agree with their spin.

KING: We received this statement, guests, from the attorney for the Longo family. Here are the first public comments from them since the accident: "The scientific evidence indicates that Diane Schuler was intoxicated and under the influence of marijuana at the time of the crash. Any claims denying her responsibility for this tragedy are wholly unsubstantiated. And the Longo family thinks -- feels -- finds these claims appalling, offensive and hurtful. They have lost a loved one to a senseless tragedy and these claims do nothing but add insult to injury."

First, a statement from Joseph Longo, the brother of Daniel Longo, who died in the crash: "Up until this time, my family and I have not given any statement to the press or media. We just want to grieve in private. The loss of my brother, Dan Longo, has left a wound that will probably never heal. I want Daniel Schuler to know that he keeps inflicting more pain on all concerned by once again going to the media to try and paint a picture after perfect wife and mother. Diane Schuler is the one that killed my brother Dan, his friends, Guy and Michael, her own nieces, her own child. The perfect wife and mother who was drunk and high on pot. Daniel Schuler, my family and I pray for your little boy to recover fully from his injuries. Our hearts hurt for him."

I noticed also that Daniel made sure that he disclaimed having any knowledge of the vodka being in the car. Diane packed the bags and he just carried them to the car. One bottle of vodka for an entire summer of pina coladas for at least 2 people - BS. On a long weekend, I could go through a bottle of vodka and I don't consider myself an alcoholic. The two families who lost loved ones must be livid with these ridiculous statements and might have never had the intention of suing, but hearing all of this garbage, I'm sure they will now.

Was Diane a cigarette smoker? Just wondering whether it would be odd for the kids to see her smoking. Couldnt imagine leaving kids that young alone in a car to go smoke pot. Wonder where she got the marijuana. Husband wouldnt comment on it LKL.

I cant stand his atty, btw.

Is Barbara for real?

[snipped]
KING: Dominic, what's your theory as to what happened?

Do you think she suffered a medical problem?

What do you -- what do you think happened?

BARBARA: Well, we're not sure totally. One thing we have learned is that her body was charred. And I read from the medical autopsy report that there was charring of the body because there was a fire. And I found -- my doctors have found numerous cases where you can actually have the sugar in the blood turn into alcohol.

But I don't know if that's it.

What I really believe occurred is a TIA, which is a type of a stroke that would not have shown up necessarily. And I know later we're having a medical expert on. But TIA driving can -- can cause a lot of the things that happened here.

[snipped] Something happened. My client believes that she never drank at all that day. I hear about the alcohol. Now, there are various things that have caused -- could have caused that testing to be alcohol, but no one yet has been able to prove that. The charring of the body -- I have one case where a state trooper lost his pension to (INAUDIBLE) because he allegedly had an accident drunk. The car burnt. They later found out, "he was not drunk."

[snipped]
DOMINIC BARBARA, SCHULER FAMILY ATTORNEY: Well, the four phone calls that are made, the first phone call and the second phone call are fine. By the third phone call, from what we understand, she sounds as if she's had some sort of a psychiatric or a stroke type issue. She is unable to see clearly. And she is saying words in a very strange -- not in an alcoholic fashion.

[snipped]
Tom Ruskin, Schuler PI: Something changed because at 12:58, when Emma, her 9-year-old niece, engages her family in a conversation, she says that there's something wrong with Aunt Diane. That -- Diane is confused, Diane is slurring, they hear it in the background. Now something happened in that 48-minute period.

Was Diane a cigarette smoker? Just wondering whether it would be odd for the kids to see her smoking. Couldnt imagine leaving kids that young alone in a car to go smoke pot. Wonder where she got the marijuana. Husband wouldnt comment on it LKL.

I cant stand his atty, btw.

Just total speculation on my part, but I think she smoked it outside the vehicle during or after the last 8 min phone conversation with her brother.

And yes, they wouldn't comment on it, I noted Barbara mentioned Daniel being a member of police dept and wanting to get the son home.

[snipped]
KING: How about do you explain the marijuana?

BARBARA: Well, if -- to ask him whether or not she smoked marijuana that morning the answer, of course, is no. And whether or not she had ever tried marijuana in her whole life, we're not able to answer that at this moment. Remember, not only is my client -- client a member of the police department, we have a little boy that we want to get home.

I was hoping LK would have asked Daniel where he went after leaving the campground, but he didn’t (fishing vs going straight home).

========
KING: All right, let's go back to Sunday, July 26th. You're wrapping up a few days vacation with the family at a campground.

And what sort of mood was everyone in that morning?

DANIEL SCHULER: Very good. Very nice. We were looking forward to getting -- going home, to beat the traffic. Everybody was happy and doing good.

KING: You left in separate vehicles, right?

You -- she had several children with her.

Why separate cars?

DANIEL SCHULER: Everybody wouldn't fit in -- in my truck. So we had to take another car.

KING: Who went with you?

DANIEL SCHULER: My dog.

[snipped]
TOM RUSKIN, CMP GROUP INVESTIGATIONS: What we found is everything contrary to the fact that she was drinking that day. We found that she left the campground at around 9:30. Daniel left right in front of her.

At that point in time, they proceeded -- Diane and the kids proceeded to the McDonald's. The police have said that in analyzing the video from McDonald's that day that they see nothing unusual in her behavior.

Barbara from the wild and crazy theories that he is expounding has more than a few screws loose. He must be the laughing stock of the legal community. Daniel really needs to lose him and fast.

DANIEL SCHULER:

• I know my wife was not drinking. She doesn't drink. Very rarely.
  • There's an error somewhere.
  • We will know the truth and I know my wife. She's not an alcoholic. She would never drive with kids in her car...
  • We all lost loved ones and she wasn't drunk. It's a tragic accident.
  • I know the truth of what happened with my wife. She's not an alcoholic. She doesn't drink. She's an outstanding mother.
  • I believe she had a stroke. Something to do with her teeth.
  • It's not true.

Just like when the Anthony's were on I'm glad I didn't watch LKL last night, I wouldn't be able to stomach it.

BBM

DS can spew all he wants about her not being a alcoholic, it still doesn't change the facts of that day, IMO the issue does not center around her being an alcoholic but that tox reports found 2x the legal limit of alcohol in her system

If she wasn't an alcoholic it was Binge Drinking that day.

"In the United States, sometimes the term "extreme drinking" or "industrial-strength bingeing" is used to describe a more severe form of (single-evening) binge drinking; it is often defined as ten or more standard American drinks on a single occasion (sometimes as eight drinks for women).[10][11] If done over 2 to 3 hours, a typical adult would have a peak BAC of at least 0.20"

:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member