8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Daniel Shumer is in a lot of pain and grieving, but honestly, if he is so certain his wife was not drunk and this is all a mistake, the exhumation and independent autopsy could have already been done. Why say it is going to happen, why not just do it already? There must be a part of him that fears knowing the results of an independent autopsy, or if they wait long enough to do it, will the state of the body be more conducive their version of events?

I'm glad an independent autopsy is going to happen. I have such a hard time with this story. Maybe she did drink and smoke pot - but thousands of drivers do that every day and very few of them end up going the wrong way on a one-direction highway.

I think the idea that someone slipped her something at McDonalds is totally plausiable (sp?). It doesn't have to make sense. Some kid may have thought it would be funny. Doesn't necessarily have to be the date rape drug, it could have been something else - done as a joke. With no intent to cause actual harm.

I also think the idea that the test results could be wrong or came out the way they did because of medical complications is worth checking out.

I guess I just think they should double check everything, especially if her internal organs do not show signs of habitual alcohol consumption.

Salem

BBM
Salem, I respectfully disagree. :)

I believe with the amount of alcohol found in her system she would have noticed the difference in taste or that something was off upon taking the first sip of OJ. NO? Can someone chime in here.

It was said on the Today show this morning that the tox report found alcohol in not only her blood, but her urine, her eye fluids..I believe a thorough exam was done, I believe the results to be correct. And IF proven wrong I'll gladly post an "I was wrong" :)

I'm with you, Lexington - not to slam Ezra's thoughts because there is so much strangeness here I understand the need to "think outside the box", but the idea of someone slipping her a mickey on this trip just makes no sense whatsoever to me. Also, it seems like whatever substance she was slipped would be found in her and mentioned - and only pot and alcohol were found.

Thank You SCM :blowkiss:

Your posts and others on this thread have been an enlightening experience for me.

I watched Larry King last night, and it was very interesting. I missed the first 20 minutes of the show though. I know they interviewed a lot of people that she knew and none of them said they ever saw her drunk, but did they check all the liquor stores near where she lives? If she was regularly drinking vodka or any other hard liquor, she would have to have had a source for it, and in upstate New York you can only buy hard liquor at liquor stores so I'm assuming that's true in LI too. So the chances are that she would have gone to the same one or two local stores to buy her alcohol, and somebody would be able to recognize and identify her as a regular customer.

Also I wanted to mention that I have always had a lot of problems with my teeth, and I have had several abcesses over the years. I can tell you that when you have a very bad infected tooth that you put off getting treated (I did this a couple of times as a teenager) the pain can come and go. You can feel okay and then drink or eat something hot or cold and that will set off the pain, and the pain can be blinding and hideously bad. I can remember even breathing through my mouth and the air hitting an infected tooth causing me excruciating agony! So I can really see somebody being "blinded" and "crazed" by pain from an abcessed tooth! And it can hit suddenly too.

Larry King was interesting last night, I rarely watch that show but had to see this one. I'm so glad they are exhuming the body and going to do more tests. I hope some answers are found. My fear is they won't find any answers, but I sure hope the do.

What a case of raging denial!

He simply will not accept any explanation that includes his wife being responsible. Even though, from their evasive answers, it is obvious that they toke a little.

Now she's down to 2 pina coladas a year? I don't drink and I drink more than that!

DS reminds me of a toddler with his fingers in his ears singing, "lalalalalalala I can't hear you I can't hear you!"

In regards to DS and his lawyer mentioning an Abscessed tooth, they are only source of that info is that correct?

Does the autopsy mention an abscessed tooth?
I will assume the ME would have noticed it examining the body since DS's lawyer stated she's had this dental condition for awhile but refused dental care.

UPDATE

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/32655206#32655206

On today's Today show segment at the 4:35 time mark they begin to say the autopsy says she had natural teeth..no mention of abscessed tooth, or change in the bone, no pus in the tooth socket.. That the Autopsy was Normal so then the ME began the Toxicology test.

What a case of raging denial!

He simply will not accept any explanation that includes his wife being responsible. Even though, from their evasive answers, it is obvious that they toke a little.

Now she's down to 2 pina coladas a year? I don't drink and I drink more than that!

DS reminds me of a toddler with his fingers in his ears singing, "lalalalalalala I can't hear you I can't hear you!"

BBM
I totally agree.

DS is stuck on (my words) "my wife is not an alcoholic, her liver is clean" but that won't stand a chance against the facts of that day. IMO.

DS will have to address the FACTS of THAT DAY, that she was drunk, 2x the legal limit and she smoked pot...and it seems she did this away from the eyes of other adults.

Its true that an abscessed tooth pain can be intermittant at first, sensitve to hot and cold, but once the nerve dies and the infection spreads to the soft tissue and bone the pain becomes chronic and debilitating. I guess its impossible to know where she was in the process but her husband said she had it for 2 months now, i just assumed she was past point of no return. The only pain relief comes with antibiotics. Vodka wouldnt have even dulled my pain!

In regards to DS and his lawyer mentioning an Abscessed tooth, they are only source of that info is that correct?

Does the autopsy mention an abscessed tooth?
I will assume the ME would have noticed it examining the body since DS's lawyer stated she's had this dental condition for awhile but refused dental care.

UPDATE

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/32655206#32655206

On today's Today show segment at the 4:35 time mark they begin to say the autopsy says she had natural teeth..no mention of abscessed tooth, or change in the bone, no pus in the tooth socket.. That the Autopsy was Normal so then the ME began the Toxicology test.

You know, if there was no sign of an abcessed tooth in the autopsy, then I'm wondering what caused the pain? If I remember correctly the husband mentioned the abcessed tooth quite soon after the accident, and for now I'm accepting the fact that he really thought she had it.

A couple of the things that were said on the Today Show video don't make sense to me. One of the women gave an example that Diane's drinking could just be "binge drinking", which is defined as having 5+ more drinks at a time, once a month or more often. It makes no sense to me that someone who is not an alcoholic, and who is a good mother would choose Sunday morning on a long drive with 5 kids in the car to binge drink. I just can't see what she did as being binge drinking.

It was also implied that Mr. Schuler should be careful in exhuming the body, cause he could be sorry. They already have shown that she did not seem inebriated at McDonald's so I don't see how he could be blamed or sued for her drinking that day. If they find she was a serious drug abuser, I also don't see how he could be blamed for that, and I don't think if he knew that was true he would agree to a new autopsy. I think a new autopsy can only help things for everybody.

I don't see Mr. Schuler being in denial in thinking there was something else that led to the accident besides alcholism, I see that reaction as being psychologically normal. From what we know, there is nothing besides the accident to indicate that Diane was anything other than a casual social drinker. From his point of view, if this is all he really knows, it seems quite normal for him to question the reason for her drinking that day. However it seems pretty clear that the alcohol levels in the body were checked correctly, so I do think he's in denial there, and it's time for him to accept that and move on.

To me the new autopsy is really important. In deciding to have it done Mr. Schuler is showing that he is really sincere in his beliefs about Diane's innocence, and it should lay certain speculations to rest anyway. Hopefully then he can move on.

Myself I feel very sympathetic to all sides of this story. I know if this had been my husband suddenly driving drunk and killing himself and my daughter and nieces I would have a real hard time believing he was a hidden alcoholic, if I had never seen the signs. I see people's emotions welling up here because it is a very emotional issue if you have lost a loved one.

I hope this can be resolved in some way and people can have some peace and acceptance and move on.

I'm not defending the woman, but if this were my spouse, I would want an independent investigation. Mistakes are made everyday, and I don't know that my conscience would allow me to live each day if I had thoughts that he/she could be innocent. If the results come back the same, he will need to live with that, too.

Was Diane a cigarette smoker? Just wondering whether it would be odd for the kids to see her smoking. Couldnt imagine leaving kids that young alone in a car to go smoke pot. Wonder where she got the marijuana. Husband wouldnt comment on it LKL.

I cant stand his atty, btw.

TCJ - I believe it has been reported that she smoked some weed, usually before bed to help her sleep, and drank occasionally. I get the feeling that she was more of a public weed smoker than a pubic drinker. I also believe that her Husband probably smoked a little weed too. I don't think he wants to talk much about the weed because he is a public safety officer and such an admission could have career ramifications.

I too have wondered if she smoked cigarettes. FWIW, I don't believe she smoked the weed in front of the kids. The older niece, my son's age, would definitely know the difference in smell b/w pot and tobacco. I think she probably took some tokes at a stop in a bathroom or something. Of course, she could have had pot brownies or something edible, but I doubt that - because then they would have found the pot actually in her stomach and I think that would have been reported.

I'm not defending the woman, but if this were my spouse, I would want an independent investigation. Mistakes are made everyday, and I don't know that my conscience would allow me to live each day if I had thoughts that he/she could be innocent. If the results come back the same, he will need to live with that, too.

I'm with you, Trino.

You know, if there was no sign of an abcessed tooth in the autopsy, then I'm wondering what caused the pain? If I remember correctly the husband mentioned the abcessed tooth quite soon after the accident, and for now I'm accepting the fact that he really thought she had it.

A couple of the things that were said on the Today Show video don't make sense to me. One of the women gave an example that Diane's drinking could just be "binge drinking", which is defined as having 5+ more drinks at a time, once a month or more often. It makes no sense to me that someone who is not an alcoholic, and who is a good mother would choose Sunday morning on a long drive with 5 kids in the car to binge drink. I just can't see what she did as being binge drinking.

It was also implied that Mr. Schuler should be careful in exhuming the body, cause he could be sorry. They already have shown that she did not seem inebriated at McDonald's so I don't see how he could be blamed or sued for her drinking that day. If they find she was a serious drug abuser, I also don't see how he could be blamed for that, and I don't think if he knew that was true he would agree to a new autopsy. I think a new autopsy can only help things for everybody.

I don't see Mr. Schuler being in denial in thinking there was something else that led to the accident besides alcholism, I see that reaction as being psychologically normal. From what we know, there is nothing besides the accident to indicate that Diane was anything other than a casual social drinker. From his point of view, if this is all he really knows, it seems quite normal for him to question the reason for her drinking that day. However it seems pretty clear that the alcohol levels in the body were checked correctly, so I do think he's in denial there, and it's time for him to accept that and move on.

To me the new autopsy is really important. In deciding to have it done Mr. Schuler is showing that he is really sincere in his beliefs about Diane's innocence, and it should lay certain speculations to rest anyway. Hopefully then he can move on.

Myself I feel very sympathetic to all sides of this story. I know if this had been my husband suddenly driving drunk and killing himself and my daughter and nieces I would have a real hard time believing he was a hidden alcoholic, if I had never seen the signs. I see people's emotions welling up here because it is a very emotional issue if you have lost a loved one.

I hope this can be resolved in some way and people can have some peace and acceptance and move on.

Terrific post, Elf. I agree with everything you said.

I too see her Husband's denial as a normal part of the process of a) discovering that someone you felt like you knew better than anyone in the world had a substance abuse problem of which you were entirely unaware and b) grieving the death at the hands of your Wife of all these people you love, including your own child, AND people you didn't know. I don't think he is scared of liability or criminal charges - I think he is trying to make sense of this disaster in his mind. As someone well acquainted with denial and addiction, I have nothing but empathy for the man.

I also don't think this was a binge episode. I've known quite a few alcoholics who are bingers (ie - they can go months without a drop of alcohol and then - look out!). In my experience, most bingers plan the binge and they make sure to plan it during a time when their responsibilities are not high.

I know Daniel Shumer is in a lot of pain and grieving, but honestly, if he is so certain his wife was not drunk and this is all a mistake, the exhumation and independent autopsy could have already been done. Why say it is going to happen, why not just do it already? There must be a part of him that fears knowing the results of an independent autopsy, or if they wait long enough to do it, will the state of the body be more conducive their version of events?

I'm sure there is part of Daniel Shuler that is terrified of what a second autopsy might show, but I can't fault him for not having had it yet because he has an attorney involved and his attorney is NOT going to let him do a second autopsy until he has thoroughly looked at all the potential outcomes and how they might effect the case.

Plus, he just buried her and his daughter and his three nieces and his son is in bad shape.

I will go so far as to say that I'll bet Barbaras tried to convince Shuler not to do this, but Shuler obviously believes the results are wrong. I believe Shuler's shock at this and desire to get to some truth he can accept are completely genuine.

same here although I wish they would have had it done before burial. Seems awful to have her exhumed.

TCJ - I might be wrong, but I don;t think the BAC content came back until after the funeral. Someone please correct me if that's not the case.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm not bothered by the timing of the decision to do a second autopsy.

I'm having trouble following the families and went on vaca and missed some info. Has Diane's neices family commented on this? TIA

I watched Larry King last night, and it was very interesting. I missed the first 20 minutes of the show though. I know they interviewed a lot of people that she knew and none of them said they ever saw her drunk, but did they check all the liquor stores near where she lives? If she was regularly drinking vodka or any other hard liquor, she would have to have had a source for it, and in upstate New York you can only buy hard liquor at liquor stores so I'm assuming that's true in LI too. So the chances are that she would have gone to the same one or two local stores to buy her alcohol, and somebody would be able to recognize and identify her as a regular customer.

Also I wanted to mention that I have always had a lot of problems with my teeth, and I have had several abcesses over the years. I can tell you that when you have a very bad infected tooth that you put off getting treated (I did this a couple of times as a teenager) the pain can come and go. You can feel okay and then drink or eat something hot or cold and that will set off the pain, and the pain can be blinding and hideously bad. I can remember even breathing through my mouth and the air hitting an infected tooth causing me excruciating agony! So I can really see somebody being "blinded" and "crazed" by pain from an abcessed tooth! And it can hit suddenly too.

Larry King was interesting last night, I rarely watch that show but had to see this one. I'm so glad they are exhuming the body and going to do more tests. I hope some answers are found. My fear is they won't find any answers, but I sure hope the do.

I do agree with what you have said about the potential abscess and the excruciating pain that can accompany that issue. Still - the amount she took in doesn't work for me if she was just trying to find some pain relief.

I agree with you. They are literally grasping at straws.

I have not posted for so long regarding any case (Anthony case) being the last however I find this case truly...truly hard to grasp. Here is what really bothers me. I would hope that my husband would never do this type of thing. Drink, drive, smoke while kids were in the car. I truly beleive he would not. However, if this were to happen, I do not think I could say it NEVER happened with so much evidence. I think I could safely say I could NEVER imagine that my husband/wife would have done this. I think I could say I cannot beleive this happened / but I unfortunately do agree this must truly hurt the other victims families. The evidence is there. It is scientific.

I also think that Mr. Shuler looked like a total zombie. Not that I wouldn't be one myself. I know I would probably not even be able to function. But I noticed he seemed to be almost "drugged" if you will. I hope someone tells him to pull himself together for the sake of that little boy that will need his total support.

I also wonder if this childs life will always be centered around "your mother didn't do it". What a shame for the little boy if this is Mr. Shulers "platform" forever. The child will never heal.

One last point and I will stop my rant. Isn't it strange when something terrible happens ie: Haleigh Cummings, Caylee Anthony, Diane Shuler the families go on TV and present some type of reasonable doubts and it gets you thinking well ....maybe this didn't happen the way it seems. Feels like to me reasonable doubt is introduced way before anyone ever steps into a court anymore.

I feel terrible about this accident. I feel really bad for all involved. My real concern is how the little boy is going to be raised in the "wake of this tragedy".

I'm having trouble following the families and went on vaca and missed some info. Has Diane's neices family commented on this? TIA

All I recall, her brother's Wife said Diane was one of her best friends and an awesome Mother and this was fairly soon after the collision.

It has been reported by some of the more sensational papers that Daniel's BIL has cut ties with him, but I do not know if that is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne