8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other fact we know about Diane, from her friends in the film, is she was a very aggressive driver. Honking the horn, tailgating, yelling at her friends who were behind the wheel for not driving that way, etc.

Which is how she was driving for part of that fateful day, according to witnesses -- and we saw her peel out of the gas station dangerously. So the events of that day weren't completely out of character for her.

I have to chime in here. I saw the film as well and will never forget it. I saw a completely different Diane. Everyone called her perfect and prompt and a great mother etc. She never complained, loved her life. HOWEVER, what I saw was a woman holding up way too many expectations. I think everyone expected her to be a certain way and carry the load, especially her husband. Seeing him at the end of the film annoyed and a bit bitter about having to take care of his son "alone" saying she was the one that wanted kids, tells me that she had a lot on her plate and was expected to do everything. Who knows what she felt about who she was, she did a good job of covering it up.

That day in my opinion was a day of self pity and reckless behavior and at first she may have thought a little pot would make her feel better and maybe some vodka and then having the kids again etc. and all her complaints surfaced and SHE DIDNT CARE ANYMORE.

She DID NOT CARE about the kids and THAT RIGHT there is what her family is having issues with - out of character for her in THEIR EYES. But who was Diane to Diane?

IMO - on that morning she was done done done - she was selfish and didn't care about anyone else and was slipping into despair, it wasn't just about getting drunk, it was about hurting herself and others and she in my opinion succeeded in that. She wasn't an alcoholic and the disease did not take over. THIS WAS A CHOICE that continued to be a choice as she drove around at any point able to let those kids out of that car. But she DID NOT. Nor did she stop when she heard their pleas and the calls her nieces made to their parents.

Searching for some conspiracy excusing her of this horrible act is a waste.

I am only sorry for the people she hurt. The anger felt by her brother in law and his wife must be immense. Hearing your little girl tell you to find her on the highway to then have failed in locating her must have been excruciating.

Why don't they put those jagged, one-way spikes across exit ramps? If they can install them in every parking lot in Los Angeles, how hard would it be to do the same at interstate exits?

Or is it that police and highway workers sometimes need to enter up the exit ramp?

Well said, Mendara!

I think we all were struck by Diane's husband's remark about not wanting children and being left alone to care for their son.

But was it something he said so often the filmmaker felt she had to include it?

Or was it just an offhand musing from a man who had become too comfortable in front of the camera? How many parents have had similar thoughts but been too smart to say so out loud? How many have said it, but not on camera?

Reality show casts often talk about how they forget the cameras are there after awhile.

And so a remark seems delivered "in all caps" when it may have just been the frustration of the moment talking. We can't know.

I may be wrong but there apears to be more females apposed to Diane's innocence behavier that day than males. Wether it has to do with the docturementary or other
sourses who knowes.
Diane's quest that day began with vodka and ended with vodka.
I do not believe she intended to harm her kids or others.

I may be wrong but there apears to be more females apposed to Diane's innocence behavier that day than males. Wether it has to do with the docturementary or other
sourses who knowes.
Diane's quest that day began with vodka and ended with vodka.
I do not believe she intended to harm her kids or others.

BBM: I don't know what you mean by the part I bolded.

I would like to better understand Diane's actions that morning because I like to understand things, not because I'm trying to absolve her of responsibility. Unless she had a full out psychotic break, nothing will excuse drinking and doing drugs and then driving a car full of children.

I would like to better understand Diane's actions that morning because I like to understand things, not because I'm trying to absolve her of responsibility. Unless she had a full out psychotic break, nothing will excuse drinking and doing drugs and then driving a car full of children.

Completely agree with all you said. Re: above BBM, I'm pretty sure she did not have a psychotic break, but hey, you never know. And never will. :(

I don't think she had a psychotic break. Imoo she was likely a seasoned drinker and a pot smoker. Like you Nova, I feel there is NO excuse for drinking and doing drugs when driving...it's even a thousand times worse when children are in the car. :moo:

I don't think she had a psychotic break. Imoo she was likely a seasoned drinker and a pot smoker. Like you Nova, I feel there is NO excuse for drinking and doing drugs when driving...it's even a thousand times worse when children are in the car. :moo:

I don't see any evidence that she had a psychotic break either. I only mentioned that because it is the one thing that might absolve her, because it would mean she wasn't in control of her faculties or judgment.

But, no, that's not what I think happened.

Hi all. I've never commented on this thread before as I'm normally lurking over on the Jodi Arias thread but I just finished reading Michael Bastardi Jr.'s book and wanted to share a few reflections. I am actually happy that the Bastardi family is seeking a civil suit, simply because it could provide them an opportunity to get the answers they have been seeking from the Hance's and Schular. While it won't being their loved ones back, I can't blame them for trying to discover the reasons why Diane's family was uncooperative with the police. I'm more than a little curious myself. If anyone has a kindle and would like to borrow the book, send me a pm. I think Amazon allows the book to be loaned for up to two weeks.

Hi all. I've never commented on this thread before as I'm normally lurking over on the Jodi Arias thread but I just finished reading Michael Bastardi Jr.'s book and wanted to share a few reflections. I am actually happy that the Bastardi family is seeking a civil suit, simply because it could provide them an opportunity to get the answers they have been seeking from the Hance's and Schular. While it won't being their loved ones back, I can't blame them for trying to discover the reasons why Diane's family was uncooperative with the police. I'm more than a little curious myself. If anyone has a kindle and would like to borrow the book, send me a pm. I think Amazon allows the book to be loaned for up to two weeks.

I hope you'll share more of what you learned from the book that wasn't in the doc--for those of us with limited reading time at the moment.

Just what interested you or surprised you, of course. I'm not demanding a book report.

(I agree with you about not blaming the Bastardis. I'm not sure what they are hoping to learn, but I can't put myself in their place well enough to pass any sort of judgment.)

Yes, I would like to know any additional revelations about the case. Did they want to play down her drinking to avoid a lawsuit? It think it made it worse by doing so. They probably would still have been sued but there would be less animosity. Ultimately though the one person at fault is dead. I mean would it serve anything for the families of the Sandy Hook shootings to sue Adam Lanza's father? It is a different case I know but the same in that those at fault are dead.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I would like to know any additional revelations about the case. Did they want to play down her drinking to avoid a lawsuit? It think it made it worse by doing so. They probably would still have been sued but there would be less animosity. Ultimately though the one person at fault is dead. I mean would it serve anything for the families of the Sandy Hook shootings to sue Adam Lanza's father? It is a different case I know but the same in that those at fault are dead.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Dave, I haven't done extensive research, but I think the lawsuits are about getting at the insurance companies. Insurance companies themselves aren't usually sued directly unless they are accused of reneging on their policy provisions.

To get to the insurance company, you have to sue the insured (i.e., the policy holder).

I don't blame any of the parties for doing so. After all, if the premiums were paid, the insurance companies should have liability.

It was the HBO Films documentary - There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane.

No new information if you had already seen the documentary on HBO, but it is still sadly compelling to watch.

Such a tragic case and one that we will never be able to understand or say "oh that makes sense". It will never make sense. I don't think Diane was inherently evil or didn't care about the kids. Don't think she was perfect either, none of us are. It's just a tragic case for all involved.

This seems very odd to me. Wanting people to "know" the girls. "Future art teacher", "future mother-in-law", "future college roommate". Very strange. I guess she is still struggling in giving up her dreams for them. So, sad.

And, you know what? After the hell she has been through, I would support just about anything she did. She gets a pass at it all, IMO.

I didn't know it at the time, but she grew up in my town, and I know several people who were her high school friends. Very well liked and highly regarded. She, and her husband, will remain in my prayers forever. I hope they can find some peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3