8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one case. It was relatively famous and was a Lifetime movie with Kelly McGillis. She was wealthy and married a dentist. They had two kids. She began having an affair with her cousin, Fritz Klinner(sp?)who was a weirdo weapons hoarder and government hater. The divorce fromthe dentist was bitter and she used the kids as pawns to get back at their dad. Her parents sided with her ex because he loved the kids and was a good dad. She and her cousin killed her ex's mother and sister, her parents and set a bomb off in the jeep killing themselves and her kids as the PD chased them down the highway. I saw the crime scene pictures from this. It was one out of hundreds though. I actually got to see an exhumation for a cold case. It was the same day I looked at all the crime scene pictures. I was a little shook up. They did not show me any pictures in traffic just told stories. Then I married a cop who did both[emoji21]. They need to be able to talk about that stuff. I imagine the guys who worked this were affected moreso because of how freaking horrible it was. My husband did say when he watched the documentary he wondered why they showed Diane's body like they did. I mean you saw the warnings but I just thought they would show wrecked cars. It was surprising. I think they wanted to humanize her?
I agree it is hard to fathom she would take out all of the kids unless she thought with advances in technology and safety features they might live. In my opinion, if you are so drunk you can't figure out you are going the wrong way it seems like you could not drive straight. I mean from what I saw that exit ramp is curvy and long, how could she even make it down them without going off the road? BTW I am not from that area and only know what I have read and seen on TV so if I am mistaken about the exit ramp, let me know.

I live in the area where this happened-there is a ramp that she had to take from the thruway to get onto the Sawmill Parkway, before she turned around and got onto the Taconic the wrong way. I just said the other night, and for the umpteenth time, that I cannot believe she navigated this exit successfully while intoxicated. It is a long, narrow exit, with a nearly 90 degree left curve before you get to the Sawmill. She had to have been a regular drinker in order to manage that with as much alcohol in her system as they said

Having trouble posting. Not the first time here. It wasn't much of a post anyway (and I don't want to retype it). So never mind.

Enjoying the theories in any event, even if some of it is just speculation.

I am so glad there is still discussion of this...........there are so many unanswered questions and lots of things to speculate about.
I agree that Diane was a heavy drinker and drank daily. And used pot with great regularity. I think Danny knew alot but perhaps not everything. Some spouses/partners dont involve themselves in alot of what is happening in the home. The laundry is done, food is in the fridge, kids and spouse arent screaming--All is well.

I still would love to know the content of the phone call between Warren and Diane. I think that was a trigger. Also what transpired between Danny and Diane Saturday and Sunday. I think she was hungover from the night before and was not thrilled with driving a car full of kids. Diane was a very conscientious person that would have have her nieces home early for their dance practice----not have stayed long at the McDonalds. I think she smoked a joint there while the kids played. And got some orange juice to mix with the vodka.

Was it suicide? An accident caused by alcohol and pot??? Or an angry woman driving under the influenece who made a split second decision????

I just watched the documentary-and believe even more strongly that Daniel Schuler is hiding something that would answer all of the questions. In the documentary, Diane's sister-in-law, Jay said that Danny was pissed with his wife after the accident and couldn't forgive her-that he said he never even wanted children, and this is what she left him with. For me, there is no doubt that what happened was directly related to Diane's relationship with her *advertiser censored**hat of a husband. That guy didn't want to be responsible for anything! It was her job to make the money, and take care of the house and kids by herself.

I just watched the documentary-and believe even more strongly that Daniel Schuler is hiding something that would answer all of the questions. In the documentary, Diane's sister-in-law, Jay said that Danny was pissed with his wife after the accident and couldn't forgive her-that he said he never even wanted children, and this is what she left him with. For me, there is no doubt that what happened was directly related to Diane's relationship with her *advertiser censored**hat of a husband. That guy didn't want to be responsible for anything! It was her job to make the money, and take care of the house and kids by herself.

Yes, a lot of people have speculated that the only way Diane was able to convince Danny to have children was to promise to take care of everything herself (kind of like young kids do when they want a puppy). The reality of living up to that agreement caused her to resent him; while presenting a "perfect" facade to the outside world, she may have been all the while seething on the inside.

But who knows.

I think Diane was very much a "seething on the inside" type of person........she must have been hell to work for. I'd love to take a peek at her personnel file.
His mother made a comment to the effect of Danny was the third child......I think his own parents have not a lot of respect for him. He knows much more than he is telling and will keep mum b/c of the potential for being sued. Something happened between Danny and Diane the days and hours leading up to the accident-IMO. He was supposed to be at the campsite a day before Diane arrived with the kids....his EZ Pass tell that much.

Hi everyone----I just noticed yesterday that the doc is available on HBO for a few a days---watched some last night and saw for the first time the pic of baby Erin with the beer bottle----maybe if we all watch now we will see a few different things not seen previously??? I will leave Dominic Barbara and his....um...employees out of my question

I think it's highly unfortunate that Mr. Schuler made that remark before a camera so that his son will see it someday.

But as for being angry at his wife for taking one child and abandoning him with his disabled son--that's a very human reaction which most people--if they are honest--would feel from time to time under the circumstances.

Writing now from the outskirts of East Taghkanic and with the Parkway six or seven miles away, and i) posting on this matter for the first time as a NY resident and thus with a certain geographical interest in the matter; and also having just watched the documentary, and, as well, ii) being something of a lazy sod and not reading the posts stretching far above, mea culpa; I'm obliged to beseech your patience and your reply: what the hell happened here? so many unanswered questions.

I remember when this first happened. IMO, Diane's actions were deliberate and intentional. I think she got drunk & stoned to numb the pain of dying.

IMO, we will never really know what the hell happened here.

I watched the documentary 'There's something wrong with Aunt Diane', and my theory is that DS smoked several joints that night into the early hours of the morning, and slept very little before heading off back home. She probably had a 'hangover', swigged down the Vodka that was in her car to help numb the pain, she became incoherent and literally 'blind' drunk, drove into oncoming traffic and killed everyone except her son who survived with injuries.

The 'abscess in the tooth' theory doesn't make sense, this would have been found in an autopsy. When she stopped at the station she appeared sober in the CCTV footage, she probably had a hangover at this stage, after this she must have stopped to drink the booze she kept in her car, within the hour she was totally drunk, not fit to drive!

DS is solely responsible for what happened, yes, she had a disgustingly pathetic husband but she made her choices, and it cost the lives of her child, nieces and the occupants of the other vehicle. Her son is left with a permanent injury and without his mother.

Imo, she was a highly functional drunk and her husband knew this. She didn't seek help for her problems and didn't seek help when she felt sick driving back home. DS could have pulled over, called husband/family to come pick them up. It was already too late when her niece called and DS couldn't be reasoned with.

Absolutely sad and shocking case of drink driving. :(

JMO

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...1/characteristics-high-functioning-alcoholics

I actually agree with you on all the above Prime, but on top of that I think she was in a rage and there was some purpose to her actions, she was deliberately reckless and knew she was bringing on the tragedy.

Diane Schuler haunts me. The sad thing is we will never know all the things that the families and friends do. That's what makes the documentary so frustrating. We all know there are so many things unspoken. I just can't accept she deliberately killed herself with the children.

You may be right, but documentaries are edited--just like any film--and tend to give added emphasis to even the most innocuous or spur-of-the-moment remark. Who wouldn't be angry with a spouse who killed your daughter and left your son with a permanent disabiiity? And in that anger, who among us wouldn't say something unfortunate such as "I never wanted children anyway"?

Not to worry, godot. Post away! This is a rather civil thread. If you are unclear about some factual matter, somebody will tell you politely.

And I'm sure we'll all benefit from your first-hand knowledge of the geography.

Myself, I used to live in NYC and take that Parkway and bridge on occasion, but that was all 30 or more years ago. And I thought from the "driver's eye" video (linked somewhere above) that it wouldn't be so hard--with even a little impairment--to confuse that off-ramp with an on-ramp, because it seems to merge with traffic going back the way one has come. Of course, you have to miss the sign, but that's not impossible either.

I watched the documentary 'There's something wrong with Aunt Diane', and my theory is that DS smoked several joints that night into the early hours of the morning, and slept very little before heading off back home....

I admit I'm not a heavy smoker of pot, but there's no way I could smoke "several joints" without falling asleep.

I am glad to see this thread is alive here----I will never forget those haunting words--- somethings wrong with aunt diane

I just saw the movie. And followed intensify when it happened. I firmly believe after beg refreshed by the film that the incident was medical.: abs do get samples mixed up. The child words something wrong and cant see IMO indicate (mini stroke) I had one last year and let me tell ya all – those symptoms are it. It was awful. I could not walk in a straight line, (but certainly knew sidewalk and huge efforts to stay on it! my vision was weird, I did not pass out etc.

The notion that an individual can be impaired to the point that vision becomes that impaired, in all likelihood is a medical impossibility – the individual would pass out – stop breathing, and not be able to sit up driving position.

Alcohol poisoning

• Unconscious or semi-consciousness.
  • Slow respiration (breaths) of eight or less per minute or lapses between breaths of more than eight seconds.
  • Cold, clammy, pale or bluish skin.
In the event of alcohol poisoning, these signs and symptoms will most likely be accompanied by a strong odor of alcohol. While these are obvious signs of alcohol poisoning, the list is certainly not all inclusive.

What You Can Do To Help:

• If you encounter a person who exhibits one or more of the signs and symptoms CALL 911.
  • Do what you would do in any medical emergency—call immediately.
  • While waiting for 911 emergency transport, gently turn the intoxicated person on his/her side and maintain that position by placing a pillow in the small of the person’s back. This is important to prevent aspiration (choking) should the person vomit.
  • Stay with the person until medical help arrives.
  • If a person appears to be “sleeping it off” it is important to realize that even though a person may be semi-conscious, alcohol already in the stomach may continue to enter the bloodstream and circulate throughout the body. The person’s life may still be in danger.
  • If you are having difficulty in determining whether an individual is acutely intoxicated, contact a health professional immediately—you cannot afford to guess.
  • http://www.brad21.org/alcohol_poisoning.html
0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

She was supposedly at around........................................... .19:
0.16-0.19 BAC: Phosphoric predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk." (she did not on tape at all – at all!)

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.

0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

Dying produces alcohol, husband admitted the night before they drank some, and she might have had some alcohol in her blood stream from the night before, but that kind symptom described by child on phone – really could not be from active slamming 10 shots in the couple of hours between the CCTV footage and the crash.

What appears to be basic lifestyle, (her cod stuff, on time, responsible, involved with kids stuff, mind boggling organization skill set – does not really sound like an individual at that stage of addiction as far as alcohol goes!

A broken vodka bottle in a car filled with suitcases, coming from vacation, certainly sounds more like – vodka bottle in a car filled with suitcases, coming from vacation,!

Observes reported that she was not all over the road - but actually very orderly ()! in terms of being in lanes etc – that too does not indicate sloppy drunk, but can mirror stroke I could not walk straight, but I certainly knew what the side walk was, and indeed did really stay on the sidewalk with much difficulty. That does sound more like her more confused than so drunk. Anyone ever see a drunk stay perfectly in lanes! A sloppy drunk?

She probably did smoke a bit, for tooth before leaving, in my younger years I partied, and never did dope make me unable to command a motor vehicle! IMO our societies (hey its changing) regarding pot is observed. Its only folks that have never done so that have all these perceptions of its impact on people. I would rather pass a stoned driver than a drunk one any day of the week!

The clerk in the store did not indicate, although interaction brief, she suspected a slobbering drunk – they cant have it both ways – its medically impossible.

Moreover she was not driving on the right normal way home which would indicate confusion. I was confused during my TIA.

So with what we know, the only real thing, could be that we are too believe, that an individual, for years has indicated tremendous responsibility capability we would have to say, that a mom, with a bunch of kids in her car, had to totally slam 6-7 shots of hard booze pretty close to wreck.

With the intensity of the crash it would be reasonable to assume that the body was not moved, and gotten to medical examiner in a quick time frame which would give the body time to generate alcohol after her death. (It would not be 6- 7 shots but if there was some from the night before still draining out mixed in with alcohol in death – that makes sense) Or from the wreck, it probably would be reasonable that she was pretty mangled, a broken vodka bottle could result in some straight alcohol in one of her wounds.

The lady at the campground spoke to her before they pulled out, for someone to hours later be at that level, would reek, and appear somewhat impaired at that point – wherein a hangover would not indicate any of that behavior. I have never hears of a hungover person unable to see!

Intense pain (tooth, in her skull!) raises blood pressure – intense pain very much so. Coming out of a dental procedure, hurting like heck, my blood pressure went to point that I could here them def afraid (this was years before mini stroke) that I might stoke out, they were frantic, injection waited 30 seconds another injection waited 30 seconds I heard nurse ask doc another? And he replied we have done 2 get me (named a different drug). Folks were moving around fast. I felt like my head was going to explode. Literally! It was intense.

Intense pain, mild hangover, stressed getting 5 kids packed ready for trip home combined = rise in blood pressure. IN addition, only IMO husband did not strike me as a helper in any of these domains prior to departure! He was XXXX!

I vote vascular stuff in brain area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member