9 year old flies from MN to Las Vegas with NO ticket

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3193024.shtml?cat=1

Boy taken out of the home. The father did not wear the hoodie to Wednesday's hearing.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/228069911.html

For those who thought the boy brilliant, the judge also ordered the mother to have her son evaluated for special education services.

Just because a referral was made doesn't indicate the child is of low intelligence.

He clearly has behavioral issues and those needs need to be accessed, identified and services put in place to facilitate his education. The kid needs an IEP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

For those who thought the boy brilliant, the judge also ordered the mother to have her son evaluated for special education services.

So children who are in need of special education services can't be brilliant? This is coming from a former teacher?

Children in the autism spectrum can't be brilliant? Children who have issues with speech? How about children who are delayed socially? They can't possibly be brilliant in other ways, right? What about a child who as ODD and needs an IEP because of that? There is that whole "Twice Exceptional" thing...

So children who are in need of special education services can't be brilliant? This is coming from a former teacher?

Children in the autism spectrum can't be brilliant? Children who have issues with speech? How about children who are delayed socially? They can't possibly be brilliant in other ways, right? What about a child who as ODD and needs an IEP because of that? There is that whole "Twice Exceptional" thing...

There is no indication the child is autistic or has speech issues. I suspect there was input from various sources who have strong indications the child is in need of a special education evaluation. ODD would be more of a mental health issue. In a non-parenting household what child wouldn't have mental issues? The parents appear to agree with the decisions.

He turns 10 in January. It would be interesting to follow his progress.

There is no indication the child is autistic or has speech issues. I suspect there was input from various sources who have strong indications the child is in need of a special education evaluation. ODD would be more of a mental health issue. In a non-parenting household what child wouldn't have mental issues? The parents appear to agree with the decisions.

He turns 10 in January. It would be interesting to follow his progress.

We don't know enough about him to know if he is or isn't anywhere in the autism spectrum. I'm sure there are many things that require an IEP that could also be referred to as mental health issues. I don't know if he's brilliant or not, but I refuse to just assume he's a lost cause.

Like I said, I think all children can be brilliant...and I'm not talking about test scores. It is disappointing to see people almost go out of their way to point out that a child might not be brilliant. Is being "right" so important that finding out a child might not be brilliant is good news?

If he is brilliant, I won't be giving myself a pat on the back or saying "I told you so!". I don't want to be "right". If I am right, that means a brilliant kid will be completely misunderstood and convinced he's bad.

Like I said before, I just hope through all of this he finds someone who believes in him and sees him for who he truly is...and gets what he needs to get on the right track. I believe in him. I hope I'm not alone.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Why in the world are we bringing up autistic children? This is clearly not an autistic child. He obviously mastered "reading" of people to get whatever it is he wants. He is obviously not autistic, and he isn't "delayed socially." He is very adept in picking up social clues from people.

Maybe it's just me but he reminds a bit of Colton Harris-Moore (The Barefoot Bandit).

I feel a bit sad for both.No child should ever want to leave home unless they are living in an unhappy home.I do not mean a home where they aren't getting their way either.I mean a home where no one gives a crap.

Just my humble opinion.

Why in the world are we bringing up autistic children? This is clearly not an autistic child. He obviously mastered "reading" of people to get whatever it is he wants. He is obviously not autistic, and he isn't "delayed socially." He is very adept in picking up social clues from people.

I wasn't implying that I think he is autistic. It was in response to the idea that a child isn't brilliant because they were told to have him evaluated for special ed.

I listed some examples of reasons a child might be able to benefit from the school's special education program yet still be considered brilliant in an attempt to show that one can't assume they know anything about his intelligence because of that. Apparently my comment was misunderstood. I do not believe he is in the autism spectrum.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

There are those who have stated the child is a genius and/or brilliant. Illegal, street-smart behavior should not be equated with those terms. The boy figured out how to con people, or maybe he emulated others who did the same.

The judge wants the child evaluated for special ed, and you can bet this just did not come off the top of the judge's head; most likely, there was a request from somewhere, maybe input from any school he attended, and this request does not imply the request was based on standardized testing. Behavior can indicate a need for special ed evaluation.

If the boy was in the genius category, this would have already been recognized.

Use to be kids would run away on a bus or their bicycles and go to the mall, now they are just leaving town on a plane. Man have times changed. I also remember that when a child was flying a stewardess would meet them at the gate take their hand, walk them to their seat and they weren't allowed to move unless they had to go to the bathroom. This is not the first kid who has gotten away with this. Well at least they are getting on the planes and not sneaking into the luggage hold area.

There are those who have stated the child is a genius and/or brilliant. Illegal, street-smart behavior should not be equated with those terms. The boy figured out how to con people, or maybe he emulated others who did the same.

The judge wants the child evaluated for special ed, and you can bet this just did not come off the top of the judge's head; most likely, there was a request from somewhere, maybe input from any school he attended, and this request does not imply the request was based on standardized testing. Behavior can indicate a need for special ed evaluation.

If the boy was in the genius category, this would have already been recognized.

Would have already been recognized? How you figure? The kid is just now getting court ordered evaluations. Pretty sad when a JUDGE must court order evaluations for a child this out of control.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3193024.shtml?cat=1

Boy taken out of the home. The father did not wear the hoodie to Wednesday's hearing.

BBM Yes, a few posters did say that he could be brilliant, but we just don't know yet because he has never been given an opportunity or been properly tested. One poster also added that there are different levels of brilliance in response to another poster. The term brilliance/genius then became interwoven throughout many posts, mainly used in a derisive way towards the nine year old, even mocking him which saddens me. He may be the devil's spawn or he may need more of a challenge and guidance. Some kids need intellectual (full admission: glad for the red squiggly lines or I would have misspelled intellectual) stimulation outside of the box and become bored very easily. Wouldn't it be great if this were the case?

I just can't get over the fact that he is only nine years old. I hope the people in his future can give him the help he needs.

Not defending these parents, but there are lots of pathologically uncontrollable kids out there. You'd be surprised.
Most end up in locked residential treatment facilities... Where they somehow manage to escape on a regular basis. I will say most aren't only 9 years old. But many parents live in fear of their violent, aggressive children. Help isn't as easy to get and you might think.

Well said! Thank you.

I'm happy to see this kid AND the parents getting help. I still have my hinky meter up on these parents.

There are those who have stated the child is a genius and/or brilliant. Illegal, street-smart behavior should not be equated with those terms.
I agree with this!

ooooh K, so what does that mean? The parents didnt agree to what?? This is sooo hinky.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spicytaco46
Back