a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure how many times she has ever been cross examined in court prior to this case. I am also not sure how many times she has testified as an expert in domestic violence in a criminal court case. Nevermind a death penalty case.

I've seen her YouTube videos and ALV is not the same person. I think it is because at her conferences she is in her element with her peers and friends and nobody has been critical of her because she was preaching to the converted.

Having said that, this case did not pop up overnight and ALV has met with Juan prior to last week. I am not sure where her mind is if she thinks that being argumentative and rude on the stand is helping anybody. I have never seen an expert hired for the defence sink a defendant like this. Sometimes I think she got in over her head and is too stubborn to get out or there really is something very off with her critical thinking skills and her reality.

I should ask this in the legal questions thread, but would it be better or worse if the DT decided to pull the plug on ALV and send her packing and tell the jury she is ill and will not return. Thoughts?

ALV is under subpoena from the Mesa court. She has to testify and can't say she is ill because it would require proof and she is quite aware of that. Plus I think she likes the moments when she feels she can get JM's goat. ALV is also being paid by the State to render an opinion which would require her to answer truthfully. When JM asked Ms. LV if she were bias towards Jodi, she answered no. That was not a truthful answer because clearly her answers reflect that she is, in fact, very bias. To take Jodi's word that her parents were abusive without questioning the parents was a big mistake. ALV claims she was limited to what was provided to her but she could have requested more information from the State if defense would not provided that to her. My guess is ALV does not feel Jodi should die just because she killed a "man". That's the impression I get from her testimony. jmo

I've seen her YouTube videos and ALV is not the same person. I think it is because at her conferences she is in her element with her peers and friends and nobody has been critical of her because she was preaching to the converted.

Respectfully snipped to thank you for this idea. ALV is "performing" for her groupies in the courtroom (and JW) without the "global view" (one of her favorite terms) that her testimony is getting shredded and mocked by the audience that really matters.

She had trouble yesterday (or the day before?) identifying just how many times she's testified in criminal trials. Which I found strange as a. she admitted it was around 10 and b. she KNEW she'd be asked this very basic question in court. I think I'd know exactly how many criminal trials I'd testified in if I could count them on both hands, which by the way she did. Held up her hands to count them. It was bizarre.

Yes that was weird, she made such a show of it! Looking up to the ceiling, raising both hands, a finger or two came up.. she looked kind of lost.. finally lowered her head and was unable to answer the question. lol. Other than some vague "Well the first one was 28 years ago" or something like that. Which only reinforced how dated and old her thinking is.

Jodis playlist "Shes a man eater". Mz Alice playlist " I am woman, hear me Roar".

She had trouble yesterday (or the day before?) identifying just how many times she's testified in criminal trials. Which I found strange as a. she admitted it was around 10 and b. she KNEW she'd be asked this very basic question in court. I think I'd know exactly how many criminal trials I'd testified in if I could count them on both hands, which by the way she did. Held up her hands to count them. It was bizarre.

Once again, on her OWN record she comes across not wanting to answer the question directly, not having the exact information literally at her fingertips in this case and evasive cat and mouse game with "the Prosecutor".

I'd say the theme that sums up her entire cross is this:

"Just because you ask me, doesn't mean I have to answer"

Blah, actually you DO Ms LaViolette. YOU are not in control of this house here and now, Mr. Martinez and the Judge is. You'd be smart to step off your high horse and in to some humility today.

But I'm thinking it's too late. Your technique has backfired, you've lost this jury and your reputation in the process.

Was it worth it? Seriously was this WORTH IT TO YOU? For God's sake!

ALV appears to all who are watching her as unprepared and that could account for her inability to give a straight answer. The biggest red flag that she is unprepared is the fact she never remembers to bring her glasses. This has been every day.

Here is how I see it- Ms. Laviolette is being paid 300.00 to be biased; that is why the defense is paying her. the defense attornies know she is going to get shredded by Juan at least to a point but what the defense wants is that one or two jurors will believe the abuse excuse or DV and that their muderous client will therefore get 2nd degree or manslaughter. Apparently miss alyce doesn't mind being sacrificed at the altar of a murdering witch who brutally slaughtered her boyfriend.

Good morning all. Can someone give me an estimate to when ALV told JM she'd put him in a timeout? I missed it yesterday and would love to see it. Thanks.

It was just posted on the main threats. I would say to go to the main thread, or go to the media threads.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Good Morning Websleuthers! I am new to the forum but have been following all aspects of this case. I just wanted to express my views on JM. I find him to be absolutely BRILLIANT! In regards to Laviolette.. I found an important point that JM made during this cross was that if she rendered an opinion in a first degree murderer case, supporting the defendant was a victim of domestic violence, she knew she would be questioned about it. So lets put on our big girl pants, and if you are firm in your assessment, then answer the questions.

Martinez dismantled this theory, piece by piece, methodically, yesterday and is not even finished yet. I note he is able to do this all without a note in front of him, as he has studied this case front to back and back again. So perhaps his "tone " that is often criticized, comes from a place where he expects these witnesses to be as equally prepared and expects the seriousness of these charges to resonate with them as well. JM is fighting for Travis, and is his voice, and I hope his "tone " resonates loud and clear with this jury, screaming that Jodi Arias planned Travis 's murder, brutally murdered him, did everything in her power to avoid responsibility, now caught, and defamed this man in unspeakable ways in an effort to save her own skin!

JUSTICE FOR TRAVIS AND THE ALEXANDER FAMILY! I pray for all envolved each day, and bless all of you who like JM will accept nothing less than complete justice in this case.

Everything JM does resonates with me. Everything. He is a fantastic prosecutor!

Once again, on her OWN record she comes across not wanting to answer the question directly, not having the exact information literally at her fingertips in this case and evasive cat and mouse game with "the Prosecutor".

I'd say the theme that sums up her entire cross is this:

"Just because you ask me, doesn't mean I have to answer"

Blah, actually you DO Ms LaViolette. YOU are not in control of this house here and now, Mr. Martinez and the Judge is. You'd be smart to step off your high horse and in to some humility today.

But I'm thinking it's too late. Your technique has backfired, you've lost this jury and your reputation in the process.

Was it worth it? Seriously was this WORTH IT TO YOU? For God's sake!

Good morning KCL and so glad your brother is home with you. The fact you got a good nights sleep is a testament of the love and care for your brother all this time and the love shown to Travis' family. When you got on DD and told the audience about LAV approaching Samantha, you showed your love and heart and courage. We are all proud to watch and say "That is our KCL!". Way to go.
Btw, JM was beyond perfect yesterday.

Ok Good Morning!

Thank you for waiting for the notes. Just needed a little family focus last night.

SO, here goes.

Got to court right on time, ran in to Beth with her big smile and greeting (she's really sweet, whenever she sees me and I'm near even if she's talking to someone she reaches out and grabs my forearm in a little gesture that's very endearing, to me) as well as others and we wait quite a while to get in the courtroom for some reason.

I'm greeted w/ a smile from the family as I take my seat on the front row, right next to Det. Flores adorable daughter (sure you all saw her). What a cutie and she's a spunky gal, we talked at times during breaks and sidebars. This was her first day to the trial. I told her "you should be proud of your Dad, he's very popular!". She smiled.

They start off w/ a hearing outside the jury about admitting some tape about JA's father admitting she's been lying to them since she's 14. Of course the defense doesn't want it in!

How can they preclude this evidence of JA at 14 arguing it's too old yet all this testimony in about Travis upbringing as a young child?

JM references "shoddy work" for ALV taking JA's word for events.

"opinion is flawed".

ALV was in the courtroom as this was being argued I believe.

JW arguing very strongly about this tape--very worried about it.

"makes it more important than it is" she argues if it comes in just as a reference by JM.

Careful what you ask for then!

Her sustained objection on this may be even worse for JA.

(board running kinda slow this morning...just me?)

I swear I just heard a cowbell sound coming from behind me during this hearing before the jury comes in. Sometimes it's really hard keeping a straight face.

I'm on the front row second seat to the jury door. I can see JA perfectly but court reporter blocking ALV's face.

I see a question in the jury basket.

"I understand that. Thank you" says Mr. Martinez

SLAM! He's figured out how to block her long extrapolations.

Ponytail, HW, CEO, Nancy taking notes re: anal sex lubricant talk.

I see JA drawing and furiously erasing...I think she's drawing ALV.

JM has learned to just interrupt her when she tries to divert his questions.

Nancy and HW taking notes o this what's relevant vs "feeling relevant".

Judge S. overruling more objections today by JW.

"I'm sure I could be wrong" wow, that took a lot to extract that from her.

Paul R. and Nancy and CEO note taking re: she could be wrong.

JM looks sharp in his black suit and copper tie.

CEO note taking--attentive re: this Nov. 2012 opinion stuff

CPA has one of those squinty sideways eyed looks at the witness chin out, head back like "rrrrrrriiiiight" (picture it?)

Nancy note taking.

Maureen almost takes no notes now (big difference).

CEO , Nancy, writing alot on this adding to her opinion business.

Whenever he lets her speak without cutting her off is when he plans to take her words then flip them and use them to use her own tangent against her (he's just so brilliant in this regard it's really impressive)

Meaking a mistake of WHO made the recording is HUGE (how can she minimize this?).

Wrestler chewing the end of this pen w/ a disgusted look on his face.

The fact she can't say a taped conversation is not better than evidence in writing is only because he wants this from her (it's stupid for her imo).

Issue of secondary gain is strong.

Equating charged with this serious crime to someone (dang I got distracted and didn't end that sentence, sorry).

If you were in my group I'd give you a time out...really??? Guess what B, YOU are not in control HERE--this is NOT your House.

(board running kinda slow this morning...just me?)

I swear I just heard a cowbell sound coming from behind me during this hearing before the jury comes in. Sometimes it's really hard keeping a straight face.

I'm on the front row second seat to the jury door. I can see JA perfectly but court reporter blocking ALV's face.

I see a question in the jury basket.

"I understand that. Thank you" says Mr. Martinez

SLAM! He's figured out how to block her long extrapolations.

Ponytail, HW, CEO, Nancy taking notes re: anal sex lubricant talk.

I see JA drawing and furiously erasing...I think she's drawing ALV.

JM has learned to just interrupt her when she tries to divert his questions.

Nancy and HW taking notes o this what's relevant vs "feeling relevant".
Thanks soo much, KCL... finished morning coffee loong ago and fighting fanny fatigue from trial/board watching. Anyone else on the east coast having a hard time adjusting to AZ time...lol Will be able to rest when JW pops back up for redirect but soo anticipating jury questions.. bet the DT will have a field day pulling the "good" ones

Re: the orgasms, "esp the female" she can't tell? Why would that be any different in distinguishing? That is her TELL.

Harry Met Sally? Really? She thinks she's giving a "breakout keynote speech" here.

She wasn't "casting aspersions" re: saying he taped it? Like it doesn't matter? LIAR!

Every time there is a judgment call, you've taken the defendant's side. BOOM

6 jurors all the way down on back row have hands over their mouths.

Paul Rudd writing a question. Looks like he has 4 pages of question papers he's organizing.

Paul R and CEO on edge of their seats "Did you use sex to quell his anger?"

Paul R stares at her during sidebar after that questioning.

CEO, Paul R. HW, Ponytail note taking re: "yes I did" re: leading questions.

Good morning KCL and so glad your brother is home with you. The fact you got a good nights sleep is a testament of the love and care for your brother all this time and the love shown to Travis' family. When you got on DD and told the audience about LAV approaching Samantha, you showed your love and heart and courage. We are all proud to watch and say "That is our KCL!". Way to go.
Btw, JM was beyond perfect yesterday.
And I second all of that!!!

Katie, next time your in court and AVL is getting on the stand will you do a shout out to her to remember to bring her glasses to the stand with her??? Starting to wonder if this is done on purpose!

Thanks soo much, KCL... finished morning coffee loong ago and fighting fanny fatigue from trial/board watching. Anyone else on the east coast having a hard time adjusting to AZ time...lol Will be able to rest when JW pops back up for redirect but soo anticipating jury questions.. bet the DT will have a field day pulling the "good" ones

Im on east coast. I watch part of the trial and watch the remainder on youtube at night. I wont watch Wilmer though. Its to annoying.

"You provided your own answer to the question then" BOOM

CEO , Nancy, writing on this.

Wish we could see the notes on the screen.

He's really learned to cut her off now.

Jodi's pallor is noticeably grey today.

Law of Attraction stuff--nancy writing a question

HW, Nancy , Paul R. CEO , Ponytail all note taking re: fight before Havasupai.

On break met Sean Alexander, TA's friend/roommate and he shows me his crazy argyle socks he's wearing in honor of Travis saying they bought them together. He says Travis had a different pair of socks to match every tie/shirt combo he had. Awwww...a little bit of a glimpse in to his charming personality. He told me, ironically his wife's name is Jodi, same spelling, which would make her name "Jodi Alexander".

NEW SCHEDULE CHANGES:

This Friday 9:30 - 12:30
4/26 9 - 4
5/3 10 - 4

This Thurs. 10:30 start time.

After break, JM walks in with a swagger.

Jodi and Maria de la Rosa all creepy close talking on return.

ALV looks weary.

JW kneels down in front of her in her chair -- she leans over, talking seriously
Security guard has moved from the jury door over to JA's side

JM smiling as he goes through exhibits on his desk.

JM, ALV, attorneys and Jodi here.

Det. Flores daughter is spunky, funny and cute. Kind of an artsy little gal.

JM smiling big in the well--brings back what looks like JA journal.

JA whispers to JW while ALV reads her journal (surprised she didn't apologize to her for reading it).

Paul R puts several pages in the basket.

No note taking re: this journal entry and hypothetical exchange.

"Put it in to your brain...this brain that you use.." (I was DYING when he said that)

I'm writing that so I don't snort out loud laughing.

"Assume that...will you do that for me?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member