Active shooter situation at Perry, Iowa high school

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Suspected posted to TikTok prior to shooting​

Dylan Butler posted a photo of himself on TikTok shortly before police say he shot multiple people and then turned the gun on himself. Assistant Director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation Mitch Mortvedt said the suspect also made numerous social media posts "in and around the time of the shooting." Investigators are looking into those posts as part of the investigation, he said.

A sixth grade student was killed during the shooting. Four of the injured victims are also students, and the fifth victim is a school administrator. Mortvedt did not comment on the exact condition of each victim but said one is believed to be in critical condition and that the others are believed to have non-life-threatening injuries.

Local outlet Iowa Starting Line spoke to several students who said they were friends of the shooter, whom they identified as Butler before authorities confirmed it. Butler's friends said the shooter sent farewell messages to his friends about 20 minutes before the first reports of the attack, which police said began around 7:37 a.m.

“I was working, and I got a text message [from him] telling me that he was thankful for me and that he was glad that he met me and that I was a really good friend,” one of the students told Iowa Starting Line.

Another friend said Butler had been bullied by other students since elementary school.

“He was hurting. He got tired. He got tired of the bullying. He got tired of the harassment," a student said to the outlet. "Was it a smart idea to shoot up the school? No! God, no."

Perry, Iowa, shooting: Sixth grader dead and five others injured after shooting at high school

January 04, 2024 04:38 PM

All school shootings are incredibly sad. Apparently at least one victim had to be transported to a Des Moines trauma center by helicopter.

JMO

Perry's hospital is basically an infirmary. It's about 35 miles NE of Des Moines, and I'm hearing that it's become a very rough, crime-ridden town in recent years. The same thing is definitely true about Fort Dodge, north of Perry.

Initial reports implied that the shooter was a 6th grader. It was a bit of a relief, for want of a better word, to learn it wasn't.

<modsnip: no link>

Last edited by a moderator:
A sixth grade student was killed during the shooting. Four of the injured victims are also students, and the fifth victim is a school administrator. Mortvedt did not comment on the exact condition of each victim but said one is believed to be in critical condition and that the others are believed to have non-life-threatening injuries.

Local outlet Iowa Starting Line spoke to several students who said they were friends of the shooter, whom they identified as Butler before authorities confirmed it. Butler's friends said the shooter sent farewell messages to his friends about 20 minutes before the first reports of the attack, which police said began around 7:37 a.m.

“I was working, and I got a text message [from him] telling me that he was thankful for me and that he was glad that he met me and that I was a really good friend,” one of the students told Iowa Starting Line.

Another friend said Butler had been bullied by other students since elementary school.

“He was hurting. He got tired. He got tired of the bullying. He got tired of the harassment," a student said to the outlet. "Was it a smart idea to shoot up the school? No! God, no."

Perry, Iowa, shooting: Sixth grader dead and five others injured after shooting at high school

January 04, 2024 04:38 PM
I wish all schools had the same documentation system for reports of bullying. I would like to hear the school's side of this situation especially since it looked like a pattern of behavior over an extended period of time.
Some parents file assault reports with the police after a bullying incident, that is the only way to guarantee your complaint is recorded.
I can't easily find records online for this county.

Editing to add: Being bullied does not excuse the shooter, obviously.

I wish all schools had the same documentation system for reports of bullying. I would like to hear the school's side of this situation especially since it looked like a pattern of behavior over an extended period of time.
Some parents file assault reports with the police after a bullying incident, that is the only way to guarantee your complaint is recorded.
I can't easily find records online for this county.

Editing to add: Being bullied does not excuse the shooter, obviously.
BBM. I agree. If it is true that the shooter was bullied, it certainly explains the motive of the shooter and also why LE refused to address it when speaking to the news media.

Bullying is a violation of our school district's policy. Students and their parents have to sign their student handbook and give it back to the school. The policy went into effect years ago after a school shooting in another state. I'm still wondering how the shooter managed to get a large rifle and handgun into the school without being detected. Our middle and high schools have staff at the main doors greeting students as they arrive.

JMO

Perry's hospital is basically an infirmary. It's about 35 miles NE of Des Moines, and I'm hearing that it's become a very rough, crime-ridden town in recent years. The same thing is definitely true about Fort Dodge, north of Perry.

Initial reports implied that the shooter was a 6th grader. It was a bit of a relief, for want of a better word, to learn it wasn't.

<modsnip: no link>
Perry is about 40 miles NW of Des Moines. We attended a wedding there a few years ago and stayed at a historic hotel with a bowling alley in it.

Crime is up everywhere. I think it has more to do with the economy and the poverty rate increasing.

I think school shootings are a unique crime with many factors.

JMO

people just did not shoot each other when I was in school. In high school, there was one male who brought a knife to school and his father was a police officer so he had some family situation- wanted to be the criminal IMO. Stuff like this just did not happen. people had BB guns- threatened each other with those; illegal drugs at times; fights; bullying- but kids did not shoot each other. It was unthinkable.

BBM. I agree. If it is true that the shooter was bullied, it certainly explains the motive of the shooter and also why LE refused to address it when speaking to the news media.
RSBM

It might if he had targeted his bullies.

I can't believe the sixth grader was bullying him, especially not for years. There's too much of an age difference.

This is just another injustice collector, wanting to hurt whoever is in their radius as they go out.

MOO

RSBM

It might if he had targeted his bullies.

I can't believe the sixth grader was bullying him, especially not for years. There's too much of an age difference.

This is just another injustice collector, wanting to hurt whoever is in their radius as they go out.

MOO
I don't have any information on who he targeted or why.

I believe anyone who is bullied will eventually react negatively, which is why so many schools have prohibited it since Columbine. In this case, the shooter referenced the Columbine shooting, which happened decades ago.

JMO

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in tears over this loss of a 6th grade student. My stepkids (2nd and 8th grade) are so excited to go back to school next week and catch up with their friends and talk about their winter break and what they got for Christmas. Going back to school should be a fun, exciting and happy time. I am sad that Dylan was bullied, but I do not understand his choice to do what he did. It will be interesting to hear from his parents, if they choose to speak on this tragedy. My heart breaks every day over something new.

All JMO

This story said that the shooter's younger sister being bullied, possibly because she's related to him, pushed him over the edge. It also names the classmate who died. (Perry's middle and high schools are in the same building.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett
Back