Actor Danny Masterson, of 'That 70s Show' charged with raping multiple women *Mistrial 2022* *Retrial 2023 Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
lmedo also mentioned that Masterson paid one of his victims nearly $1 million to sign a non-disclosure agreement, which she said “is an awful lot to pay” for an incident you claim never happened.

lmedo also mentioned that Masterson paid one of his victims nearly $1 million to sign a non-disclosure agreement, which she said “is an awful lot to pay” for an incident you claim never happened.

Also regarding the discovery leak to CoS:

Olmedo sanctioned both Mesereau and Appelbaum $950 for leaking discovery in the case, including information about the victims, to the Church of Scientology. Prosecutors learned of the leak when Scientology’s outside counsel Vicki Podberesky emailed the office complaining about the Masterson case and included link to a trove of confidential discovery.

Mesereau and Applebaum abandoned their appeal of the sanctions on Wednesday. On Thursday, the victims’ attorneys asked for copies of the leaked discovery “so the victims … can know what was compromised and therefore plan accordingly to protect themselves.” Olmedo told the attorneys to talk with prosecutors and she’ll take the issue up again later.

Speaking to Masterson directly of a “criminal justice system that you feel has failed you,” Judge Olmedo told him that “you are not the victim here … your actions 20 years ago were criminal.” Masterson was informed that because of his sentence, he will have to register as a sex offender upon parole or release — which he told the court he understood.

Given the maximum sentence allocated under the law, Masterson was taken out of the court by Sheriff’s deputies to begin formally serving his time in a state prison. As the sentence was announced, Masterson’s wife Bijou Phillips and other family members quietly wept in the public gallery.
After the new trial motion was denied today, victim impact statements from all three Jane Does in the case were read out in court.

“I believed him when he called me stupid, untalented, trash,” said the statement by Jane Doe #3, Masterson’s former girlfriend Christina B. Citing how “charming” Masterson could be and the harassment she says she and her family have suffered from the Church of Scientology since reporting the assaults by Masterson to the police years ago, the Jane Doe said that she was “regularly abused …and raped repeatedly” in the “cycle of abuse” that much of their relationship became. Stating the long term ramifications of the rapes by Masterson, the remarks from the former model were read out by LA County Deputy D.A. Ariel Anson.

“No one is alone,“ said a tearful Jane Doe # 2 of others in the case in her own victim statement. “Nowhere felt safe …I have severe PTSD, waves of panic attacks,” she went on to say. “You did this to me and all your victims intentionally.”

“You have to sit in a cell in shame,” added N. Trout from the podium at the front of the courtroom to a stone-faced Masterson less than 30 feet away.

“I still have to contend with what you did to me …the rape deformed my ability to trust others,” stated the Jane Doe #2 with her voice often breaking. A former and self-described “brainwashed” member of Scientology, Jane Doe #2 also condemned the Church for “protecting its prized members” like the “pathetic” Masterson. She went on to claime, as the separate civil trial alleges, that she had been harassed and stalked by the Church for speaking out over the rape.

Pausing for several times throughout her often harrowing comments to compose herself, Jane Doe #1 gave the final victim statement today.

“I didn’t choose to be born into Scientology, just as I didn’t choose to be raped by Danny Masterson,” Jen B told the court. Telling those assembled how her Scientologist mother has shunned her since she went to the police almost 20 years ago to report being “drugged and raped” by Masterson, the passionate Jane Doe #1 also condemned the Church and its “code” against those who speak out against “untouchables” like Masterson.

“I wished I had reported him earlier to the police,” Jen B said of the years after he raped her. Crying during her 20-minute statement, the Jane Doe also told the court how her eldest daughter was mocked and bullied by schoolmates who called the girl’s mother a “liar” for reporting the rape. Jane Doe #1 noted that her then-nine-year old daughter was included in the NDA she was made to sign decades ago in front of then Masterson lawyer Marty Singer. “This is a real court, this is not a Celebrity Center,” she continued, claiming further harassment during the trials by Masterson family members and Scientology supporters.

Actor Danny Masterson sentenced to 30 years to life for two rapes​

[…]

Prosecutors argued Masterson, 47, had relied on his status as a prominent Scientologist to avoid accountability.

Judge Charlaine Olmedo allowed his victims to read statements in court ahead of his sentencing.

Prominent former Scientologist and actress Leah Remini attended Thursday's sentencing hearing and comforted the women before and after they delivered their statements.

"I wished I had reported him earlier to the police," one of the women said, according to US media.

Another woman told Masterson: "I forgive you. Your sickness is no longer mine to bear," according to Reuters.

Masterson remained silent throughout the hearing.

As the judge read his sentence - the maximum penalty allowed - his wife, Bijou Phillips, was seen in court breaking down in tears.

[…]

Scientology officials told one survivor she would be kicked out of the Church of Scientology unless she signed a non-disclosure agreement and accepted a payment of $400,000 (£320,000), according to prosecutors.

[…]

1694128452627.jpeg
Convicted rapist Danny Masterson blows his wife Bijou Phillips a kiss in the court room as he is sentenced to 30 years behind bars

1694128466738.jpeg
Bijou Phillips is seen sobbing in court as her husband, and the father of her young daughter, is sentenced to 30 years in prison for the rape of two women

There seems to be some confusion on his sentence. He was sentenced to LIFE with the possibility of parole after 30 years (minus 15% of time already served - that is he gets 15% of not quite 4 months deducted from the 30 years for eligibilty to apply for parole). A lot of the journalists that are not lawyers have stated incorrectly that he got 30 years.

Better late than never. It's disgusting how the Scientology cult works so hard to protect such an evil person merely because of his celeb status.

I'm no fan of Scientology so I think it's great to see this black eye for them.

They'll dump everything they can into his appeal which hopefully fails.

Also from the Deadline article, a bit about Remini's case against CoS.

Now that sentencing has occurred in Masterson’s criminal trial, the civil trial could start up in a matter of weeks. The judge in that case has scheduled a hearing for September 27 in which it is likely the stay will be lifted.

Awaiting the results of an early October restitution hearing in the criminal case, the civil case could reveal much more of the fallout from the Jane Does taking their allegations to the authorities.

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis wrote letters to the judge who sentenced Danny Masterson for rape. So did the people who portrayed Red and Kitty Forman on "That '70s Show." Also, Billy Baldwin.

Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis wrote letters to the judge who sentenced Danny Masterson for rape. So did the people who portrayed Red and Kitty Forman on "That '70s Show." Also, Billy Baldwin.

Disappointed but totally not surprised.

Reading those letters make me sick. Danny is such a great guy, Danny teaches his daughter moral values, blah blah blah, please think about Danny's daughter in this.

Dudes, the victims are all somebody's daughter, did Danny think about that when he raped them?.

They think he is such a wonderful human being, would they be happy leaving him alone with their sisters? I won't say daughter as she is just a little girl.

Kutcher's comment at the bottom "While I am aware that the judgement has been cast as guilty for two counts of rape by force and the victims have a great desire for justice, I hope that my testament to his character is taken into consideration for sentencing. I do not believe he is an ongoing harm to society and having his daughter raised without a present father would be a tertiary injustice in and of itself"

This is disgusting. He won't do it again so he shouldn't be punished for what he did then, to 3 different women that we know of?

Crying during her 20-minute statement, the Jane Doe also told the court how her eldest daughter was mocked and bullied by schoolmates who called the girl’s mother a “liar” for reporting the rape. Jane Doe #1 noted that her then-nine-year old daughter was included in the NDA she was made to sign decades ago in front of then Masterson lawyer Marty Singer.
RSBM

This stood out to me.
The cult is saying: "Nothing bad happened, but sign this document preventing you or YOUR CHILD from talking about it."

I can't wait for the civil trial.

In other good news, the UK Charity Commission has today confirmed its decision to refuse Scientology tax exempt status cannot now be appealed, upholding its view that “the Church of Scientology is not established for the public benefit

Kutcher's comment at the bottom "While I am aware that the judgement has been cast as guilty for two counts of rape by force and the victims have a great desire for justice, I hope that my testament to his character is taken into consideration for sentencing. I do not believe he is an ongoing harm to society and having his daughter raised without a present father would be a tertiary injustice in and of itself"

This is disgusting. He won't do it again so he shouldn't be punished for what he did then, to 3 different women that we know of?

The whole letter sounds like the church wrote that for him.

In fact most of the letters shown do. The tell is when they mention him being anti drugs.

The whole thing is disgusting, but I find this from Smith particularly disgusting. He saw DM treat all women on the set with respect, so DM couldn't possibly have raped ANY woman?

It makes me so mad when people come forward in support of a convicted rapist with, "Well, I never saw him treat a woman disrespectfully!" Or, "I worked with him every single day and he never tried to rape ME!" As if their own personal experiences and observations of said rapist proves anything about the crimes in question.

And is there some expectation that the women in the crew somehow should not expect to be treated with the same respect as the women in the cast?

Grrrrrrrrr

“I found that Danny treated all women on the show with respect, not only the women in the cast, but women on the crew as well,” he wrote.

So, if someone is a jerk to many people and he rapes some women, he should get the full sentence for rape. If someone gets along with a bunch of people and he rapes some women, the court should be lenient? Doesn't the court judge the crime? I didn't read any comments in the support letters that indicated that there were any mitigating circumstances during the time that he raped those women. He wasn't having a brief mental breakdown, etc.

So, your good buddy, Ashton, Milos, Kitty, etc., raped women. He hid behind the church to avoid blame. The church stalked and revictimized those women. But Danny's a nice guy and he has a daughter now. So by this standard it's ok if his (or your) daughter gets raped by a nice guy in the future. Right?

Such horrible nonsense and such lack of empathy for the actual victims of these crimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juliehollz
Back