Actor Danny Masterson, of 'That 70s Show' charged with raping multiple women *Mistrial 2022* *Retrial 2023 Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“When you raped me, you stole from me,” said one woman who Masterson was convicted of raping in 2003. “That’s what rape is, a theft of the spirit.”

“You are pathetic, disturbed and completely violent,” she said. “The world is better off with you in prison.”

Masterson starred with Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis and Topher Grace in “That ’70s Show” from 1998 until 2006.

He had reunited with Kutcher on the 2016 Netflix comedy “The Ranch,” but was written off the show when a Los Angeles Police Department investigation was revealed the following year.

So, if someone is a jerk to many people and he rapes some women, he should get the full sentence for rape. If someone gets along with a bunch of people and he rapes some women, the court should be lenient? Doesn't the court judge the crime? I didn't read any comments in the support letters that indicated that there were any mitigating circumstances during the time that he raped those women. He wasn't having a brief mental breakdown, etc.

So, your good buddy, Ashton, Milos, Kitty, etc., raped women. He hid behind the church to avoid blame. The church stalked and revictimized those women. But Danny's a nice guy and he has a daughter now. So by this standard it's ok if his (or your) daughter gets raped by a nice guy in the future. Right?

Such horrible nonsense and such lack of empathy for the actual victims of these crimes.

They should all be ashamed of themselves.

The letters were disappointing, dishonourable and very unfair to the victims. According to Ashton and Mila, Danny Masterston is practically Jesus. I wish that just as many celebrities wrote letters in support of the victims. Debra Rupp, at least, seems to be in the early stages of reconciling the DM she knew with his crimes. The other letter writers haven't bothered even trying.

The letters were disappointing, dishonourable and very unfair to the victims. According to Ashton and Mila, Danny Masterston is practically Jesus. I wish that just as many celebrities wrote letters in support of the victims. Debra Rupp, at least, seems to be in the early stages of reconciling the DM she knew with his crimes. The other letter writers haven't bothered even trying.
As I suggested elsewhere to Ashton and Mila...

All you had to say was, "We saw a different side of Danny, and he did many good things, but what he did to those women is very, very wrong and he ruined their lives. We hope he stands up and owns up to his terrible acts. We all want women to be safe."

As I suggested elsewhere to Ashton and Mila...

All you had to say was, "We saw a different side of Danny, and he did many good things, but what he did to those women is very, very wrong and he ruined their lives. We hope he stands up and owns up to his terrible acts. We all want women to be safe."

A million likes.

So obtuse of them.

The whole thing is disgusting, but I find this from Smith particularly disgusting. He saw DM treat all women on the set with respect, so DM couldn't possibly have raped ANY woman?

It makes me so mad when people come forward in support of a convicted rapist with, "Well, I never saw him treat a woman disrespectfully!" Or, "I worked with him every single day and he never tried to rape ME!" As if their own personal experiences and observations of said rapist proves anything about the crimes in question.

And is there some expectation that the women in the crew somehow should not expect to be treated with the same respect as the women in the cast?

Grrrrrrrrr

“I found that Danny treated all women on the show with respect, not only the women in the cast, but women on the crew as well,” he wrote.

This says so much about the character of the person who wrote the letter, he's such a great guy - even to the commoners!

Wowee, Ashton Kutcher in particular better hope this very passionate anti-trafficking guy in the video doesn't find out about how he tried to defend DM.
and doesn't find out that the organisation he's supported ( Xmas benefits, parties etc) are being sued for human trafficking.

<modsnip: Aaron Smith Levin is not an approved source at Websleuths>

Last edited by a moderator:
So I didn't know that Ashton and Mila know the victims. That makes this even worse. They clearly stood with Danny.

Having said that I don't want to turn this thread into a hate Ashton/Mila thread. Danny is the abuser. The victims are the victims. This isn't about celebrities. It's about sexual abuse and rape.

Lisa Bartley @LisaBartleyABC7
One of the reasons we did not do much reporting on the letters of support for #DannyMasterson including those from @aplusk and @MilaKunisv is that it takes away from the victims... the survivors... the women he raped at a time I felt we should focus on their stories.
Three of the women #DannyMasterson raped gave incredibly powerful victim impact statements at his sentencing Thursday. I'm going to share more of what they told Judge Olmedo here.
Let's start with Jane Doe One. JD1 told the judge that her own mother cut her out of her life (this is known as disconnection in Scientology.) JD1 says her mom told her she wanted to see Danny brought to justice for the rapes, but not at the expense of her religion #Scientology.
JD1's mother wrote a letter to #Scientology leader #DavidMiscavige in 2004 demanding justice for her daughter, which you can read here

David Miscavige Knew Danny Masterson Was Raping Women The mother of one of the women who Danny Masterson raped sent a letter to David Miscavige seeking justice for her daughter. Instead of protecting her, Miscavige tried to destroy her.
JD1 told the court she sometimes rereads that letter, sometimes on Mother's Day, just to remember how it felt to have a mom.
JD1 says before she reported her rape for the first time in 2004, she was forced to meet with her rapist with the understanding that he would apologize and never rape anyone else. Instead, she says he laughed and treated it as a big joke. "He's shown not one ounce of remorse."
As for Masterson's friends who say they never saw him rape anyone... "Yeah, that's generally not how sexual assault or rape works."
She did not use his name, but JD1 referenced @aplusk in her victim impact statement. He told Esquire earlier this year that he wanted Masterson "to be found innocent of the charges..."
@aplusk "I read that, and my own daughters could read that, too." She told the court she wondered if Danny's co-star knew that Masterson had her then 9-year-old daughter's name put on the NDA she signed in 2004 as one of the people who could never disclose anything about the rape.
@aplusk JD1 told the court that while her 9-year-old daughter's real name is in the NDA, "Danny used an alias, David Duncan, a true coward and heartless monster."
@aplusk We are sure to hear more about that NDA in the upcoming civil trial and the role of Masterson's then attorney Marty Singer. We know from the trials that Singer testified about the NDA at a grand jury in January 2020 months before Masterson was charged that June.
@aplusk Here's a bit of Singer's grand jury testimony that was revealed in court documents last fall.Image
@aplusk JD1 said she was required to notify Singer and Masterson if police "ever came sniffing around..." JD1 told the court, "I'm here today to say I did not govern myself accordingly. I went to law enforcement. I did not notify you. I have no regrets."
@aplusk JD1 described dark years after the rape. "I lost the ability to contact almost every person I had known or loved in my entire life because I was deemed an enemy to the group having been declared by Scientology for reporting the rape to the LAPD."
JD1 told the court that Masterson's actions destroyed many aspects of their lives. "And we who do survive to fight back are left shattered in a billion pieces."
She has an extreme fear of the dark, waking up in fight or flight mode. "I sometimes hide in the closet." Her husband "has to repeat, 'it's me, it's me.'" He knows "better than to even come into the bathroom when I shower."
"I have screamed out the windows of our bedroom in the middle of the night in tears, 'I'm not okay, I'm not okay,' sobbing uncontrollably. I don't even know what the neighborhoods think."
Judge Olmedo referenced the NDA as she sentenced Masterson to prison, noting that he paid JD1 $400k to keep quiet about the rape. "Close to half a million dollars is an awful lot to pay for the silence about an incident that you claimed never happened."
Judge Olmedo: "Mr. Masterson, you are not the victim here. Your actions 20 years ago took away another person's voice and choice. Your actions 20 years ago were criminal, and that is why you are here."

Last edited:
<modsnip - quoted post was removd>

They're all here at WS, apparently.

I wasn't surprised to hear that DM's family reached out and asked them to produce a letter of support. Then obviously someone took whatever they wrote and edited it; hence the writing style similarities among the letters.

I am assuming that's how they got the letters from Smith and Rupp as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again. <modsnip - you may discuss what friends have said, but you may not bash them>

Lisa Bartley @LisaBartleyABC7
One of the reasons we did not do much reporting on the letters of support for #DannyMasterson including those from @aplusk and @MilaKunisv is that it takes away from the victims... the survivors... the women he raped at a time I felt we should focus on their stories.
Three of the women #DannyMasterson raped gave incredibly powerful victim impact statements at his sentencing Thursday. I'm going to share more of what they told Judge Olmedo here.
Let's start with Jane Doe One. JD1 told the judge that her own mother cut her out of her life (this is known as disconnection in Scientology.) JD1 says her mom told her she wanted to see Danny brought to justice for the rapes, but not at the expense of her religion #Scientology.
JD1's mother wrote a letter to #Scientology leader #DavidMiscavige in 2004 demanding justice for her daughter, which you can read here

David Miscavige Knew Danny Masterson Was Raping Women The mother of one of the women who Danny Masterson raped sent a letter to David Miscavige seeking justice for her daughter. Instead of protecting her, Miscavige tried to destroy her.
JD1 told the court she sometimes rereads that letter, sometimes on Mother's Day, just to remember how it felt to have a mom.
JD1 says before she reported her rape for the first time in 2004, she was forced to meet with her rapist with the understanding that he would apologize and never rape anyone else. Instead, she says he laughed and treated it as a big joke. "He's shown not one ounce of remorse."
As for Masterson's friends who say they never saw him rape anyone... "Yeah, that's generally not how sexual assault or rape works."
She did not use his name, but JD1 referenced @aplusk in her victim impact statement. He told Esquire earlier this year that he wanted Masterson "to be found innocent of the charges..."
@aplusk "I read that, and my own daughters could read that, too." She told the court she wondered if Danny's co-star knew that Masterson had her then 9-year-old daughter's name put on the NDA she signed in 2004 as one of the people who could never disclose anything about the rape.
@aplusk JD1 told the court that while her 9-year-old daughter's real name is in the NDA, "Danny used an alias, David Duncan, a true coward and heartless monster."
@aplusk We are sure to hear more about that NDA in the upcoming civil trial and the role of Masterson's then attorney Marty Singer. We know from the trials that Singer testified about the NDA at a grand jury in January 2020 months before Masterson was charged that June.
@aplusk Here's a bit of Singer's grand jury testimony that was revealed in court documents last fall.Image
@aplusk JD1 said she was required to notify Singer and Masterson if police "ever came sniffing around..." JD1 told the court, "I'm here today to say I did not govern myself accordingly. I went to law enforcement. I did not notify you. I have no regrets."
@aplusk JD1 described dark years after the rape. "I lost the ability to contact almost every person I had known or loved in my entire life because I was deemed an enemy to the group having been declared by Scientology for reporting the rape to the LAPD."
JD1 told the court that Masterson's actions destroyed many aspects of their lives. "And we who do survive to fight back are left shattered in a billion pieces."
She has an extreme fear of the dark, waking up in fight or flight mode. "I sometimes hide in the closet." Her husband "has to repeat, 'it's me, it's me.'" He knows "better than to even come into the bathroom when I shower."
"I have screamed out the windows of our bedroom in the middle of the night in tears, 'I'm not okay, I'm not okay,' sobbing uncontrollably. I don't even know what the neighborhoods think."
Judge Olmedo referenced the NDA as she sentenced Masterson to prison, noting that he paid JD1 $400k to keep quiet about the rape. "Close to half a million dollars is an awful lot to pay for the silence about an incident that you claimed never happened."
Judge Olmedo: "Mr. Masterson, you are not the victim here. Your actions 20 years ago took away another person's voice and choice. Your actions 20 years ago were criminal, and that is why you are here."

Thank you for posting this. This case has been stacked against the actual victims and yet they finally prevailed (no doubt at a high cost to their mental health). Scientology plays a large negative role in this case.

There seems to be some confusion on his sentence. He was sentenced to LIFE with the possibility of parole after 30 years (minus 15% of time already served - that is he gets 15% of not quite 4 months deducted from the 30 years for eligibilty to apply for parole). A lot of the journalists that are not lawyers have stated incorrectly that he got 30 years.
How did he get a life sentence? There are killers who get less time than that. Is it because he wouldn’t accept some kind of plea deal?

How did he get a life sentence? There are killers who get less time than that. Is it because he wouldn’t accept some kind of plea deal?
That's a good question. It does seem like a very stiff sentence.
I wonder if it relates to the fact that not only hasn't he accepted any responsibility (but most murderers don't either) but that the victims were further abused by the Church of Scientology (i.e. he used his connections to discredit the victims). The victims had to be incredibly brave to stand up against him AND the church. Their families were torn away from them. Also, he drugged them.

I'm still not sure what the various tipping points are in sentencing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back