Actor Danny Masterson, of 'That 70s Show' charged with raping multiple women *Mistrial 2022* *Retrial 2023 Guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with you, just wanted to point out that it's actually even worse because they support a convicted rapist, not just an alleged one.

They wrote letters of support for a friend. They didn't write the letters for you, me, or the victims. Most likely, they don't believe the verdict is just and hoped their testimony towards the good elements of Masterson's character would be taken into account in his sentencing. From what I've read, 48 others did the same.

'Step-dad claims perjury
  • In letters asking for leniency, Jordan, 36, and Alanna Masterson, 35, painted their father as deadbeat and convicted rapist Danny as a parental surrogate
  • In an interview this week, Joe Reaiche, 65, said he is considering suing his kids over the letters, and further accused the Clearwater Church of 'brainwashing'

Having already listened to two interviews which Jo Reaiche had given, where he described the family's history, his role and Pete Masterson's, the letters' comments on DM being a father to his siblings did jump out at me too, before I saw this new article

RSBM for focus.

I loved that show.

I was about the same age as the characters during the time period in which the show is set, so a lot of it felt familiar to me. I used to joke that it wasn't a sitcom, it was a documentary. (Although my friends and I never partook in cannabis, as the characters in the show frequently do.)

I thought it was well-acted, well-written comedy with just the right amount of pathos. And the character Masterson played was my favorite.

I might have been able to watch it again after Masterson's conviction, but after so many other cast members wrote those letters, I'll never be able to watch it again.
You're absolutely right and thank you for pointing this out.

They wrote letters of support for a friend. They didn't write the letters for you, me, or the victims. Most likely, they don't believe the verdict is just and hoped their testimony towards the good elements of Masterson's character would be taken into account in his sentencing. From what I've read, 48 others did the same.

Sure, and yet I am still entitled to my opinion, which goes for the 48 others too.

You are right of course, they wrote letters believing they would not be made public, and more fool them. I wonder if they would be so keen to wax lyrical about their wonderful friend Danny the convicted rapist if they knew everybody and their dog would get to read their words.

It's OK though, they have 'apologised' so no harm done :rolleyes:

ALL JMO. MOO. ETC.

An excerpt:

For those of you living under a rock who might have publicly stated before this trial they hoped he'd be “Found Innocent”, let me state this: I read that, and my own daughters could read that, too. I have three daughters, but I wonder if Danny’s co-star knows that Danny Masterson had my nine-year-old daughter's name put on an NDA and stated it forbid her to disclose anything to do with Danny or raping or assaulting her mother. Me. Yes, it was my child's name on it, and it includes her as a party and requires her not to disclose.

The reason she knew about what this monster did to her mom was the monster himself arranged for the son of one of his friends, one of his homies, one of my daughter's classmates to tell my daughter -- to tell her, to shame her and say her mommy was a liar and Danny didn't rape her mommy. I still remember the day I picked her up from school and from the back seat my child asked, "mommy, what is rape?"… She was nine years old. I mentioned that in my letter to the IJC.

In September 2004, Danny had his attorney, Marty Singer, threaten me with what my daughter would read in the rag magazines at the grocery store line should I back out of signing the NDA that afternoon. How do I know it was Danny who arranged for my daughter to hear about the rape? Well, Danny came to the meeting with Kirsten from Scientology, and he opened up by admitting that what he did with my kid was just taking it too far and that the church had him put money in my daughter's name to receive Scientology counseling to help her with her emotional upset. I refused.

He smiled when he explained that he bought the little boy's entire box of fundraiser candy bars in exchange for that message being delivered to my child.

I'm not convinced of that.

In comparison, I found a recent case of an LA police officer who was charged with 2 counts forcible rape and other assaults, but was only convicted of one rape. He received a sentence in LA court of 6 years, just in August. Ex-LAPD officer sentenced to 6 years in prison for raping woman

So, on face value, I don't agree that the sentencing of this celebrity was typical to what anyone else is facing.

There's that old saying about how, in attempting to set the apple cart upright, there's a risk of tipping it over on the other side.

JMO
So that defendant was convicted of one crime and sentenced accordingly?
Also, would a copy of felony sentencing guidelines help? Along with Judges' sentencing remarks?

Last edited:
I wonder what the public reaction would be if DM were the son of Kutcher and Kunis, instead of a friend? Wouldn't most of us accept that they felt an obligation to write in support of their child, no matter what he had done?

Now what if DM were their nephew? Not quite as compelling as a son, but most of us, I think, would still understand why they felt obligated, however much they disapproved of the nephew's conduct.

Is a close friend of nearly 25 years so much different than a biological relative? There was an almost ZERO chance that anything they wrote would change the judge's sentencing.

(And it did not. Although Masterson wasn't given the legal maximum--which would have risked an overturn on appeal--he was given the functional maximum (2 x 15 years to life, consecutively). My best friend/public defender believes the judge was insuring DM would serve the most time without risking that the entire sentence would be thrown out on appeal. Though DM sounds like a monster (though perhaps he wasn't to certain friends), the fact is he had no prior criminal record.)

(ETA I am neither a Scientologist nor a fan of Scientology. I am perfectly happy with the sentence given to DM and find it just. That his friends and family members wrote favorable letters to the judge, however, is pro forma, as I understand it.)

Last edited:
I'm not convinced of that.

In comparison, I found a recent case of an LA police officer who was charged with 2 counts forcible rape and other assaults, but was only convicted of one rape. He received a sentence in LA court of 6 years, just in August. Ex-LAPD officer sentenced to 6 years in prison for raping woman

So, on face value, I don't agree that the sentencing of this celebrity was typical to what anyone else is facing.

There's that old saying about how, in attempting to set the apple cart upright, there's a risk of tipping it over on the other side.

JMO
IANAL, but I believe a primary, if the not THE primary, difference is that your cop was only convicted of ONE rape (though he had been charged with 2). We don't know what DM's sentence would have been if the jury had hung on a second count, but we know it could have been no more than half (or 15 years).

And I'm not even sure DM would have gotten that. There's a difference under CA law between charging and convicting on one rape v. multiple rapes.

I haven't followed the trials closely enough to know whether there were other aggravating factors in DM's sentencing, such as the use of a gun (in one rape), the use of rape drugs (in both convictions), etc.

(ETA I meant I don't know IF those factors were considered "aggravating". They have been widely reported per testimony in his trial.)

Last edited:
I wonder what the public reaction would be if DM were the son of Kutcher and Kunis, instead of a friend? Wouldn't most of us accept that they felt an obligation to write in support of their child, no matter what he had done?

Now what if DM were their nephew? Not quite as compelling as a son, but most of us, I think, would still understand why they felt obligated, however much they disapproved of the nephew's conduct

Is a close friend of nearly 25 years so much different than a biological relative? There was an almost ZERO chance that anything they wrote would change the judge's sentencing.

(And it did not. Although Masterson wasn't given the legal maximum--which would have risked an overturn on appeal--he was given the functional maximum (2 x 15 years to life, consecutively). My best friend/public defender believes the judge was insuring DM would serve the most time without risking that the entire sentence would be thrown out on appeal. Though DM sounds like a monster (though perhaps he wasn't to certain friends), the fact is he had no prior criminal record.)

(ETA I am neither a Scientologist nor a fan of Scientology. I am perfectly happy with the sentence given to DM and find it just. That his friends and family members wrote favorable letters to the judge, however, is pro forma, as I understand it.)
Do you think AK - who no doubt feels he's almost like family - would have written that letter had he taken the time to check that the letter wasn't going to be sealed?
Is he that loyal a friend?

BTW, I think what you're asking is a really good question.

Last edited:
yes, I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a value judgment on the two juries in the Danny Masterson case. I've heard reporters discuss how the Prosecution's presentation differed, especially around drugging, but I'd have to have followed each day of both trials, every motion.

As for making a value judgement state by state, county by county and by nation I'd have to have a helluva a lot of detail from PD level upwards.

It would be great to hear of a nation, ( or state or county anywhere in the word) where the PD's are fully resourced, no rape kits laying in fridges to be processed, no high % of complainant drop-out, with high conviction rates, where expenditure for rape & SA shows they are truly treated as seriously as other heinous and violent crimes but I don't know of any fantastic exemplars off hand. Think it would be a fool's errand for me to go & try to find out as well as even further off topic. My personal opinion fwiw is that it's not a crime which is treated seriously enough, anywhere.

Couldn't agree more. And lots of people agree - which is probably why this trial had this outcome. We're in a phase, nation-wide, I think, where people are irritated and tired of crimes against women and people of color, IMO.

In the county where I live in SoCal, we have no rape kit backlog - which is due to excellent longterm funding for our Coroner's office. We are kind of a law and order county. The style of policing is "community-oriented," as they say in the police literature. Our overall crime rate is lower than the state average and we have a fast track criminal trial system that works very well.

At any rate, Masterson is now getting a sentence that others probably had coming in the past and did not get. I too have the vague impression that there were allegations against him of drugging his victims. I didn't follow daily, either. I would have been far too irritated to do so.

IMO.

An interview of Ashton and Mila has resurfaced where they discussed their first kiss on their show which was Mila's first kiss ever. He was 19 and she was 14. Also Danny made a bet with Ashton to french kiss her. Big laughs were had.

Rosie O'Donnell did not seem comfortable with that confession at all, the bit where Ashton says about don't you use tongues if you're acting and ROD says "It depends on how good an actor you are"...

rsbm

Except the content of the letters was utter nonsense considering what they knew when they "wrote" them. Just one example, from Mila Kunis's letter:

I have always known Danny to be an ethical, honest person, who lived with the highest standards in work and family. I have always known Danny to be a central figure in my peer group, because of his integrity, his stance against drugs, his abhorrence of violence and most of all the respect he demonstrates toward women and children.

Can she say he was honest and had integrity if he never admitted the years of rapes and abuse of women in his life? Besides physical abuse, there was lots of cruel psychological abuse. She also can't say he abhorred violence when he repeatedly committed violent rape. Or even that he was against drugs when he roofied women before he raped them.

The letters are basically denying what the court just decided. It's one thing to say his daughter needs him, which is a common type of statement in support of a lighter sentence, but another to tout him for traits which are clearly false.

One wonders what CoS might have had on these people to get them to put their signatures to the letters. jmo

One wonders what CoS might have had on these people to get them to put their signatures to the letters. jmo
snipped just for that ( i agree with all the rest)

recall the 17 interior cameras in the Holly Mont Drive home? ( IDK if that came into evidence, it was from an old interview from period when he bought that home)

IANAL, but I believe a primary, if the not THE primary, difference is that your cop was only convicted of ONE rape (though he had been charged with 2). We don't know what DM's sentence would have been if the jury had hung on a second count, but we know it could have been no more than half (or 15 years).

And I'm not even sure DM would have gotten that. There's a difference under CA law between charging and convicting on one rape v. multiple rapes.

I haven't followed the trials closely enough to know whether there were other aggravating factors in DM's sentencing, such as the use of a gun (in one rape), the use of rape drugs (in both convictions), etc.

(ETA I meant I don't know IF those factors were considered "aggravating". They have been widely reported per testimony in his trial.)

Another difference is that the former cop had, I believe, a public defender who stipulated several conditions that led to a much, much shorter trial. There was still hope on the defendant's part, I'm sure, of acquittal (being a cop) but it was a 1.5 day trial and not a double trial in which the defendant threw tons of money at the court in an attempt to walk free.

The more a defendant...uses up...the Court with motions, delays, etc., it gets into the Judge's perception of remorse. Remorse is shown, legally, by not attempting every possible maneuver.

Sometimes, a clean, minimal defense is best - esp. when the facts are against the culprit. IOW and IMO, making a court fight over every aspect of a case and mount two trials is NOT seen as remorse on the part of the convicted defendant.

Most lawyers advise people of this. Sometimes less is more - but Masterson thought he could buy his way out, and I think that ended up hurting him at sentencing. Throwing oneself on the mercy of the court (which the cop may have done after conviction) really helps at sentencing time. That means the defendant sorrowfully admitting that yes, they did do it, apologizing to all and sundry, etc. That didn't happen here - no idea what happened in the 1.5 day trial of the policeman, but I'm sure you all get where I'm going. Indeed, the degree to which Masterson went to protest his innocence (and now he's convicted) speaks to a person with no remorse, possibly a strong streak of narcissism, and clearly (IMO) falling into the category of antisocial.

All opinion.

Bijou Phillips was seen breaking cover for the first time since husband Danny Masterson was sentenced to 30 years to life in prison on rape charges.

The 43-year-old appears to be leaning on her spouse's family for support as she adjusts to her new life at the couple's Santa Ynez Valley property, exclusive DailyMail.com photos show.

The actress, who had faithfully stood by her husband of 12 years throughout his two sexual assault trials, was being consoled by brother-in-law Jordan Masterson as the two shared a poignant embrace before their lunch outing on Monday.

An excerpt:

For those of you living under a rock who might have publicly stated before this trial they hoped he'd be “Found Innocent”, let me state this: I read that, and my own daughters could read that, too. I have three daughters, but I wonder if Danny’s co-star knows that Danny Masterson had my nine-year-old daughter's name put on an NDA and stated it forbid her to disclose anything to do with Danny or raping or assaulting her mother. Me. Yes, it was my child's name on it, and it includes her as a party and requires her not to disclose.

The reason she knew about what this monster did to her mom was the monster himself arranged for the son of one of his friends, one of his homies, one of my daughter's classmates to tell my daughter -- to tell her, to shame her and say her mommy was a liar and Danny didn't rape her mommy. I still remember the day I picked her up from school and from the back seat my child asked, "mommy, what is rape?"… She was nine years old. I mentioned that in my letter to the IJC.

In September 2004, Danny had his attorney, Marty Singer, threaten me with what my daughter would read in the rag magazines at the grocery store line should I back out of signing the NDA that afternoon. How do I know it was Danny who arranged for my daughter to hear about the rape? Well, Danny came to the meeting with Kirsten from Scientology, and he opened up by admitting that what he did with my kid was just taking it too far and that the church had him put money in my daughter's name to receive Scientology counseling to help her with her emotional upset. I refused.

He smiled when he explained that he bought the little boy's entire box of fundraiser candy bars in exchange for that message being delivered to my child.
Despicable. Vindictive. Danny enjoys it when his victim continues to squirm, and includes their child in his harassment!
Isn't that a sign of sadism, enjoying the pain he caused others?
Coercive control includes mental abuse and doesn't stop when the parties separate. Danny really wanted to punish these women for daring to speak up.

Despicable. Vindictive. Danny enjoys it when his victim continues to squirm, and includes their child in his harassment!
Isn't that a sign of sadism, enjoying the pain he caused others?
Coercive control includes mental abuse and doesn't stop when the parties separate. Danny really wanted to punish these women for daring to speak up.
He's utterly despicable.

At the same time I was just reading this part of Jane Doe 1's testimony in relation to forcible anal rape followed by being pressured by the CoS to make amends etc. (She's just been asked to describe the conversations she had with others about the assault etc and Pros asks her whether she & DM then had reconciliation or resolution as per the CoS's plan etc)

Did Mr. Masterson say anything to you about what happened?

Yes

What did he say?

He called, he said he fell off a raft and hit his butt on a rock on a trip with Ashton Kutcher and he was sitting on a donut, and so now he knew what it felt like and so we're good now, right? (She's getting emotional relating this.)

ETA here's the link MISTRIAL AVERTED AGAIN: Danny Masterson Trial, Day 6, Morning break report

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back