Actress/Author Carrie Fisher, 60, has Passed Away

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
People having heart attacks often complain of breathlessness and vomit. To collapse after this would be a logical progression.

Thank you. I was trying to reconcile this with other reports about her condition prior to descent (iow, in the 15 mins prior to landing).

EXCLUSIVE: Carrie Fisher In Intensive Care Unit After Heart Attack, Brother Says: 'We Hope For the Best'

A bit different from the earlier Canadian version...

A source close to Fisher tells ET that as the plane was descending into LAX, Carrie was awakened and "she started throwing up and saying she couldn't breathe."

Question: Would that be consistent with the other reports?

Vomiting and difficulty breathing (among other things) would be symptoms consistent with myocardial infarction.

Vomiting and difficulty breathing (among other things) would be symptoms consistent with myocardial infarction.

Thanks! :)

I'm just trying to square that 'source' info with other reports re the sequence of events. That she was 'awakened' and talking gave me a bit of encouragement about the overall situation vs the concept of her being unresponsive the entire time.

I appreciate the input of medical professionals here who help clarify.

This was a fascinating read actually. The second link had more up to date info on what is contained in their emergency kits. They listed needles to give meds, but did not mention IV catheters (like Jelcos), even though they spelled out the IV solution and tubing. I was actually surprised they listed atropine, epinephrine and lidocaine as being in the kit. With these drugs available, I would think a passenger has a slightly better chance than if they didn't.

Thankfully there was an EMT on the plane that knew CPR, but to MMJ 's point, the likelihood of there being no neuro deficits is small. Such a shame...

I'm just trying to square that 'source' info with other reports re the sequence of events. That she was 'awakened' and talking gave me a bit of encouragement about the overall situation vs the concept of her being unresponsive the entire time.

I believe after reading the article that Carrie was "awakened" as the flight was starting it's decent and that is when she complained of not being able to breath. Flight attendant's often come around the cabin prior to decent checking seat belts and putting tray tables up. Perhaps she was awakened by the flight attendant at that time.

This was a fascinating read actually. The second link had more up to date info on what is contained in their emergency kits. They listed needles to give meds, but did not mention IV catheters (like Jelcos), even though they spelled out the IV solution and tubing. I was actually surprised they listed atropine, epinephrine and lidocaine as being in the kit. With these drugs available, I would think a passenger has a slightly better chance than if they didn't.

Thankfully there was an EMT on the plane that knew CPR, but to MMJ 's point, the likelihood of there being no neuro deficits is small. Such a shame...

It's very interesting! I had no idea about the drugs either! It's my interpretation that the "needles" listed as 18, 20 and 22 gauge are the IV catheters. Very common sizes for IV insertion.

I think the article probably has the info out of sequence and what meanmaryjean said is accurate. The vomiting and shortness of breath came first, and then the cardiac arrest. These rush reports can be pretty nilly-willy. Seems to me her condition is not good, she has not regained consciousness, and that she is probably on life support.

Has anyone found information about the time that the flight was scheduled to land at LAX? I've heard/read that heart attacks frequently occur in the morning. Perhaps being awakened suddenly from overnight sleep startled Ms. Fisher enough to cause the cardiac incident.

It's very interesting! I had no idea about the drugs either! It's my interpretation that the "needles" listed as 18, 20 and 22 gauge are the IV catheters. Very common sizes for IV insertion.

Look again at the list in the second article. It specifies the needles for injection of meds requiring a syringe. I looked at the other drugs and they would have to be drawn up. I just found it interesting that it was omitted.

I am so used to having every piece of equipment at my fingertips, like a monitor and ambu bag, an ET tube etc, I cant imagine trying to make decisions in an emergent situation where I had little to no info on the person in front of me. IMO

Has anyone found information about the time that the flight was scheduled to land at LAX? I've heard/read that heart attacks frequently occur in the morning. Perhaps being awakened suddenly from overnight sleep startled Ms. Fisher enough to cause the cardiac incident.

I just looked at my Flight Tracker app. The plane was to arrive at 12:25 pm LAX, but arrived at 12:40 pm. United Airline flight 935 from London Heathrow that departed London at 9:20 am 12/23. That is one long flight. Being seated all that time, with legs bent, may have caused a clot to dislodge, causing her MI.

Not that I fully trust snopes (I don't, especially after this political season), but here's what it says about her condition -

"The actress was in critical condition earlier in the day, an emergency official told Variety on Friday afternoon. She was moved from the emergency room to the Intensive Care Unit hours later, her brother, Todd Fisher, said Friday evening. The actor and filmmaker said his sister is not in stable condition, despite previous reports."
http://www.snopes.com/2016/12/23/carrie-fisher-heart-attack/

This is o/t. I have been on flights of 8 hours when medical personnel take care of someone the whole way. So far good results.

Does the airline do anything for these self sacrificing people?

This is o/t. I have been on flights of 8 hours when medical personnel take care of someone the whole way. So far good results.

Does the airline do anything for these self sacrificing people?

I bet they do.

One time I was seated next to a mom who was impatient with her baby. I was traveling alone and I have experience with babies - so I took care of the baby the whole flight. I enjoyed it and other passengers and the crew got engaged too. When I was leaving the plane, a flight attendant handed me a bottle of wine. :)

jmo

This is the most recent update I could find this morning.

Carrie Fisher's condition unclear after medical emergency

Kelly Lawler and Andrea Mandell , USA TODAY 12:29 a.m. EST December 24, 2016

...Her brother, Todd Fisher, told the AP that she was "out of emergency" and stabilized at a Los Angeles hospital Friday afternoon. He said he could not discuss any other details about what happened.

TMZ and the Los Angeles Times described her condition as critical.*A local ABC affiliate*reported that Fisher*is*"on a ventilator."

In a subsequent*interview with AP, her brother said she was being treated in intensive care, but that he could not classify her condition. He noted that much of what has been reported about Fisher is speculation...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2016/12/23/carrie-fisher-heart-attack/95806310/

I typed my life event on Alan Thicke's thread and I was having computer issues and Lost my post..... I haven't been back to his thread. RIP Alan Thicke.

Ok...

Three weeks ago my husband and I were out shopping for an advent calendar as I had those growing up in Germany when my dad was in the Army.
My husband said he was tired and sat down in the store as I went looking for the calendar. I finally found it, paid for it, and retrieved my husband.
As we were walking to the parking lot he told me his left arm hurt. I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT HEART ATTACK.
He felt great that morning and was physically active and HE DISMISSED IT AS A HEART ATTACK. Why it couldn't be a heart attack to him. He was
eating great ,felt great, and his previous heart attack was four and a half years ago. As were driving he said his left arm still hurt. I told him I think it is
a heart attack. I asked him if he felt clammy. He said kinda. I said take off your ball cap, so we know if you are sweating from the hat or clammy. He
always wears nitro on a necklace. I told him to take one of those, and he had TWO choices, go home and call an ambulance as we weren't far from
home or continue driving to the hospital which we weren't far from. We did make an executive decision to drive to the hospital as we felt if we called
an ambulance from where we were driving the minutes were ticking. and I was worried that the ambulance might not get there really quickly
although response times for ambulances and fire engines are quick here. So the first thing anyone should do is call 911, even
though that is Not what we did. As we were approaching the hospital, my husband said he felt like he was going to throw up.
We park at emergency, walk in and as my husband is trying to explain, I just cut in, because my husband takes his time when talking and time was
of essence. I said we think that he is having a heart attack and he took one nitro. I said he has had a heart attack before. Bam, that wheelchair is placed behind my husband and off he went while I waited at the desk as they got his insurance and driver's license info.Then I was told to sit in the waiting room. I sat facing the double doors and either someone was going in or out or they walked near the doors and it opened and I saw my husband on a bed and they were wheeling him away. I cried. A lady with oxygen sat next to me and all I wanted was a Hug but I couldn't go around hugging people!So I sat by myself holding my hands... They called me back and took me to a room where he was. The nurse said they are going to CATH. I said Cath? Did he have a heart attack? She said yes he is having a heart attack. I did not bring my cellphone, so I used my husband's phone to call his family out of state. The Chaplain led me to a room where it has better phone reception. He told me when I am done to tell security and they will get the Chaplain for me and the Chaplain will take me to the waiting room upstairs. I called my parents, too.
Ok, so now I am in the waiting room. The receptionist made me coffee as it was getting late and they were out of coffee there. I paced. Then my husband's cardiologist came out to talk to me! Wow! How lucky we were that he was on duty that night. They put a stent in. He had a blockage.
Wow, the thing is, my husband was a victim of his own circumstance. How strange. You see, we changed our eating habits in 2012 because of the heart attack. In 2012 my husband had a couple of stents put in. This one, with this heart attack, wow.,that artery was 2 point whatever millimeter back in 2012 so a stent was put in. That artery now was close 3 point something millimeters. So the clot happened between the wall of the artery and that 2012 stent! So the cardiologist was able to insert a stent INSIDE the old one expanding it!
The cardiologist told my husband that I saved his life because remember my husband did not think he was having a heart attack even though the symptoms were the same as in 2012.

Time and quick thinking were on our side.

By the way, when it was time for my husband to be released from the hospital, I walked up to the hospital and there was a lady that was in her 30's maybe, crying as she walked out of the hospital. I looked at her eyes, and I said "God Bless You", as I walked by and she said "Thank You." I wanted to give her a hug, but you can't hug strangers because you don't know how they will react... so I did what I could say to her to comfort her in passing by her...

For Carrie Fisher, I think time was against her because she was on that plane and the minutes were ticking away. I imagine if she does survive, she will have heart damage.
For my husband there was basically no heart damage as everything was done so quickly. We are so grateful, and thankful.

I wish for Carrie Fisher to have good health and peace, and the same for her family. I know how scary and sad this is. God Bless Carrie and her family.

IMOO.

Bless you for sharing this, Treelights! You have always been one of my favorite posters because of your wonderful
compassion and kindness.

Thank you to all of the posters on this thread and others on this site !

Besides your insight in your posts, compassion and kindness always seeps through everyone's messages.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back