Africa - Seychelles Police Probe Deaths of Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki Sept 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agree. But suicide by fluid buildup in the lungs would be a new one.

But it seems they died together on a nice resort which is better than xyz.

Btw. I wondered how the room look.

Because 2 sisters staying in hotel room should show signs of cosmetics, clothing, hair dryers and whatever else all around the place.

So if the room was neatly organized ; Then maybe this was planned. Idk

The info about the resort says there is daily maid service. If they were drinking all day, the room probably was cleaned up while they were out.

Don't know why my post didn't seem to post? Anyway.......the fact that they were cremated by family seems unusual to me, not something that's usually done in the case of unexpected deaths where family is still looking for answers - unless they already found the answers. Odd, too, to me, that they were found deceased in the same bed. Interesting the mention of the police finding Undisclosed prescription meds in the room, there must be some relevance to that being mentioned?

Maybe this very expensive trip together was their "last hurrah" together, they wanted to go out with a bang. Maybe they did leave a suicide note but only the family and police would know this and they're not likely to ever release that info to the media/public (for obvious reasons).

It does seem very odd that young attractive successful women would (POSSIBLY!) commit suicide together but maybe they were so close, and there was a serious issue with the other (terminal cancer, terminal disease like ALS) and the healthy one couldn't bare the thought of watching their best friend/sis decline and leave them. Or maybe one had some serious career/professional/legal issues they knew were going to be exposed and couldn't deal with it.

Maybe they were seen drinking all day because they had this planned and they drank to work up the nerve.....or just to really enjoy their last day together?

Not saying it's suicide, I have no idea......but it does leave one to wonder.

ETA: as articles say the family flew there for private cremation it kind of also makes me wonder if there was a suicide note that perhaps stated their final wishes....like to be cremated and ashes dispersed of somewhere special there? I guess it's possible that even though the sisters were obviously financially ?well-off that maybe family wasn't and it was cheaper to cremate there versus pay to have bodies flown back to MN?

The info about the resort says there is daily maid service. If they were drinking all day, the room probably was cleaned up while they were out.

I'm sure there could be exceptions, especially in a high end resort, but maid service is usually not allowed to touch personal belongings. They come in and put clean sheets on/make the bed, clean the bathroom, vacuum, and that sort of thing.

I'm sure there could be exceptions, especially in a high end resort, but maid service is usually not allowed to touch personal belongings. They come in and put clean sheets on/make the bed, clean the bathroom, vacuum, and that sort of thing.

Hm. If there is stuff lying around, it has to be picked up to vacuum, make the bed. I have stayed at a five star resort because an airline on strike paid for our stay. The room was totally cleaned up while we ate breakfast.

In one of the previous articles posted here it quoted the butler explaining that he'd assisted them to their room at about 8:15pm, then returned the next more at 8:30am but there was no sign they had left their room. I took that to mean that perhaps he had hung a "do no disturb sign" on their door the evening before, which he found still hanging on the door the next morning. My guess would be that no maid service happened that day they were found.

Autopsies show sisters found dead in Seychelles had excess water in lungs: police
Bodies of 37-year-old Annie Korkki of Denver and 42-year-old Robin Korkki Chicago were found at the Maia resort

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
PUBLISHED: September 30, 2016 at 8:57 am | UPDATED: September 30, 2016 at 12:19 pm

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/30/annie-korkki-robin-korkki-autospy/

“Two people at the same time is odd,” Lank said. “It suggests more of a toxicologic or environmental cause, or a potential infection if they’re traveling together.”

An itinerary found at the Maia hotel indicated the sisters had been touring Africa since Sept. 1, and that they had visited Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar before arriving in Seychelles on Sept. 16. Annie Korkki lived in Denver and worked for JPMorgan, while Robin Korkki lived in Chicago. A spokeswoman for JPMorgan declined to comment to The Denver Post, citing the ongoing investigation, but said “our thoughts are with her family.”

Their brother, Chris Korkki of Lakeville, Minnesota, told The Associated Press on Thursday that his sisters were adventurous women who wanted to experience life to the fullest.

“They were frequent travelers both domestically and internationally,” he said. “They were kind and generous and compassionate, and were wonderful people that had a positive impact on a huge number of people.””

“Annie Korkki was also a member of the Denver Synchronicity figure skating team.

“Annie just had a really incredible spirit and she was a very loving and friendly woman,” said Caitlin Cattelino, the masters team coach. “She had just recently joined the skating team and really just became a member of this family instantly. She had an ability to make people laugh and just bring smiles to people’s faces.”

Both were Minnesota natives. Annie Korrki grew up skating in Minnesota, and her mother is a local figure skating judge in Colorado. “I think we will just really miss her this season,” Cattelino said. “She really brought a lot to the team. She had a great personality, a great attitude.””​

In one of the previous articles posted here it quoted the butler explaining that he'd assisted them to their room at about 8:15pm, then returned the next more at 8:30am but there was no sign they had left their room. I took that to mean that perhaps he had hung a "do no disturb sign" on their door the evening before, which he found still hanging on the door the next morning. My guess would be that no maid service happened that day they were found.

The whole day they were drinking would have had maid service.

A maid service doesn't put clothes or cosmetics in bags.

So stuff would still lie around. Jmo

Hm. If there is stuff lying around, it has to be picked up to vacuum, make the bed. I have stayed at a five star resort because an airline on strike paid for our stay. The room was totally cleaned up while we ate breakfast.

Maids also tidy up in the bathroom for the same reason - toiletries organized and towels and clothes picked up off the floor. Same with clothes on the floor or bed which have to be put away before they can vacuum or make the beds. I wouldn't say they completely pick up after guests but they do more than make the beds and empty the trash.

I think if we could see photos of the room it would be a big help. Was it simply a mess because they were careless or getting ready to pack, or did it look like Keith Richards had been there?

The whole day they were drinking would have had maid service.

What is this maid service stuff?

This is what the do not disturb sign on the door comes into play. Jmo.

If you have personal items laying around in a hotel room.

Then you put the sign on the knob for do not disturb.

So unless you need tissue or serious room cleaning while still there.

Then usually folks will put the sign up

Do we know if they put the sign on their door?

I have a great idea - run away to the Seychelles with me and let's investigate. ;)

I am talking about the day they were drinking, not the day they were found. There is no indication that they did not have a maid in the day they were drinking is there?

Maids also tidy up in the bathroom for the same reason - toiletries organized and towels and clothes picked up off the floor. Same with clothes on the floor or bed which have to be put away before they can vacuum or make the beds. I wouldn't say they completely pick up after guests but they do more than make the beds and empty the trash.

I think if we could see photos of the room it would be a big help. Was it simply a mess because they were careless or getting ready to pack, or did it look like Keith Richards had been there?

Is there some info that has said that their room is a mess?

Is there some info that has said that their room is a mess?

I thought something was mentioned about the condition of the room but now I'm wondering if I misread it or it was just a theory.

Hmmm.

The maid will come in and bring your new towels although even luxury resorts are suggesting to be more environmental and not ask for a new towel every day. The maid would resupply the body wash shampoo, lotions, etc. The bathroom would be made sparkling and the rest of the rooms organized and spiffed up.

Maybe they even change the sheets there everyday. Who knows. For $2000 a night, one expects pampering.

The fundraising site has raised $27k in three days.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11720388

Seychelles Police said a South African national was found "unresponsive" in his room at the Plantation Club Resort at Baie Lazare on the main island of Mahé on September 26, according to local publication Today.
The hotel is located less than 8km - or a 13-minute drive - from the Maia Luxury Resort where the Korkki sisters died after being found "unresponsive" by a hotel worker. The pair had reportedly been drinking heavily the day before.
The South African, who has not been named, was reportedly employed at Lazare Property Ltd.
Police have not provided any details about his death but Today reported that his colleagues told investigators they had not seen him since the previous Tuesday.

snip

The Seychelles has been plagued by a string of unexplained deaths involving foreign nationals in recent years, including six British and American sailors.

What if too much ghb was used on them by an employee for nefarious reasons?

I have not caught up in reading here but wanted to ask,Did 2 tourists die from this at a resort recently?Sorry if it has already been answered.

Here's an article about one of the sailors who died in the Seychelles in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-navy-sailor-heroin-coroner-charles-warrender

Local police said there was no evidence of foul play, but his inquest heard that Warrender, whose ship was on a mission to disrupt the drug trade, was found with high-grade heroin sprinkled on his chest.

The inquest also revealed that the engineer technician had no history of drug taking and had a phobia of needles.
Despite ruling the dose was likely to have been administered by a third party, the coroner for Grimsby and North Lincolnshire, Paul Kelly, did not record a verdict of unlawful killing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini
Back