Africa - Seychelles Police Probe Deaths of Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki Sept 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here's an article about one of the sailors who died in the Seychelles in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-navy-sailor-heroin-coroner-charles-warrender

Local police said there was no evidence of foul play, but his inquest heard that Warrender, whose ship was on a mission to disrupt the drug trade, was found with high-grade heroin sprinkled on his chest.

The inquest also revealed that the engineer technician had no history of drug taking and had a phobia of needles.
Despite ruling the dose was likely to have been administered by a third party, the coroner for Grimsby and North Lincolnshire, Paul Kelly, did not record a verdict of unlawful killing.

Kate Warrender said: “He was obviously killed somewhere and then dumped. If he had wanted to do drugs and go to a club then he would have been safe because he would have been with other people.

Pirates. JMO

What's up with the fluid in the lungs...?..TIA

"And Baltimore-based medical examiner David Fowler of the College of American Pathologists said brain swelling and fluid-filled lungs 'are the hallmarks of a drug intoxication until proven otherwise.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ad-Seychelles-given-family.html#ixzz4LunCxCwu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Could they both have accidentally overdosed on either alcohol alone or a combination of alcohol and some drug? Yes, they could have.

"And Baltimore-based medical examiner David Fowler of the College of American Pathologists said brain swelling and fluid-filled lungs 'are the hallmarks of a drug intoxication until proven otherwise.'"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ad-Seychelles-given-family.html#ixzz4LunCxCwu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Oh, wow. I was wondering if they went scuba diving and the air was contaminated with a bacteria, or perhaps they had that latent drowning that children get (where they appear fine but the fluid has in fact built up in their lungs), I suppose adults can get it too.

Well now that they've been cremated it's impossible to say exactly what led to their demise.
If I'd been the family I would have hired the best coroner money could buy.

Not trying to imply the medical services in the Seychelles are not competent enough-- just that if it were my family, I'd like a second opinion.
Jmo.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3817194/Ashes-Minnesota-sisters-dead-Seychelles-given-family.html
Wow! All the money spent on this vacation, and not fly the bodies back to the USA for another autopsy seems odd. The authorities there must have assured the family second opinion wasn't needed. My sympathies and respect to the family, but as mentioned above I too would I've flown my girls home for another opinion. These women were seasoned travelers now cremated will the family know for sure what happened... Jmo.

ciao

Wow! All the money spent on this vacation, and not fly the bodies back to the USA for another autopsy seems odd. The authorities there must have assured the family second opinion wasn't needed. My sympathies and respect to the family, but as mentioned above I too would I've flown my girls home for another opinion. These women were seasoned travelers now cremated will the family know for sure what happened... Jmo.

ciao

I have no idea what flying a body somewhere entails. If they brought the bodies back who would do the autopsy? Would they have to hire someone? It could also be they already know what happened.

This whole thing is so weird and sad.

Sorry if this has already been posted, some good photos. So sad and tragic to go away on vacation then die from drugs. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-locals-tell-cocaine-culture-tourists.html
American sisters found dead in $1,800-a-night Seychelles villa had fluid on their lungs often linked to drug overdoses, authorities say - as locals tell of 'cocaine culture' among tourists

-Authorities on the island say an autopsy found they both had fluid on their lungs and have ordered toxicology tests
-Fluid on lungs is most commonly associated with drug overdoses but police declined to comment on that possibility
-Police will not discuss whether they found illicit drugs in the hotel room but say they did find prescription drugs
-Locals says tourists are known to come to the island and take cocaine

Sorry if this has already been posted, some good photos. So sad and tragic to go away on vacation then die from drugs. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-locals-tell-cocaine-culture-tourists.html
American sisters found dead in $1,800-a-night Seychelles villa had fluid on their lungs often linked to drug overdoses, authorities say - as locals tell of 'cocaine culture' among tourists

This is terrible. I wonder if benzos can cause the edema. I'm sick and too lazy to research, but I'm on benzos for anxiety. I am not a drinker, but I know mixing it with alcohol can be fun for some people, but also fatal, if you take too much. I think it's from CNS depression, but I wonder about edema.

ETA - I'm speculating about one or both being prescribed benzos. They aren't too uncommon.

This is terrible. I wonder if benzos can cause the edema. I'm sick and too lazy to research, but I'm on benzos for anxiety. I am not a drinker, but I know mixing it with alcohol can be fun for some people, but also fatal, if you take too much. I think it's from CNS depression, but I wonder about edema.

ETA - I'm speculating about one or both being prescribed benzos. They aren't too uncommon.

Mixing alcohol with Ambien or Lunesta (internet says both can be deadly with alcohol). And crossing all the time zones maybe they needed help getting to sleep.
JMO speculation

Mixing alcohol with Ambien or Lunesta (internet says both can be deadly with alcohol). And crossing all the time zones maybe they needed help getting to sleep.
JMO speculation
Those are other good ideas! Having taken Lunesta before (and ambien), I'm pretty sure it would take a LOT of Lunesta to od. IMO, it's just a step up from melatonin.

Of course we know opiates would most certainly have killed them if they had taken enough, with copious amounts of alcohol.

OK, I'm going to do some Google now. :)

Causes of Pulmonary Edema

Congestive heart failure is the most frequent cause of pulmonary edema. However, there are a number of less common medical conditions that can cause pulmonary edema, such as:

heart attack, or other heart diseases
leaking, narrowed, or otherwise damaged heart valves
sudden high blood pressure
pneumonia
kidney failure
lung damage (caused by severe infection)
severe sepsis of the blood (blood poisoning caused by infection)
pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)

However, pulmonary edema is not always caused by an internal medical condition. The condition can also be caused by outside factors that put extra pressure on the lungs and heart. These factors include:

high altitude exposure
illicit drug use and/or drug overdose
lung damage (caused by inhalation of toxins)
severe trauma
major injury
near-drowning

http://www.healthline.com/health/pulmonary-edema#Causes3

Bold by me.

I'm going with this one. It could be that they took prescription drugs (bluesneakers had a good point about sleep meds), and combined with the alcohol, caused an overdose. Also, this makes the most sense to me how they could have died the same night.

Bluesneakers, thank you for the reminder that traveling messes with our sleep!

Those are other good ideas! Having taken Lunesta before (and ambien), I'm pretty sure it would take a LOT of Lunesta to od. IMO, it's just a step up from melatonin.

Of course we know opiates would most certainly have killed them if they had taken enough, with copious amounts of alcohol.

OK, I'm going to do some Google now. :)

I've taken Lunesta and it really messed me up - if I drank any alcohol I got sick and weird. And because amnesia is a side effect there were a few times I took it and forgot I'd taken it and took it again. (I only took it for a month. It was that awful!)

Not sure how much it would take to OD or how much alcohol you'd have to drink. Let us know what you find!

JMO speculating. I have no idea if the sisters took either.

Derrr.. now I see your post.

Has it been confirmed they died of drug overdoses or is that still speculation?

Medication overdose was definitely the first thing I thought of when I heard this story. I think it happens more than we realize, and I think there needs to be greater awareness raised about mixing alcohol with certain medications. I think most people understand that it might not be advised to do so, but I don't think most understand that it can be deadly. I did read at some point that both sisters were taking anti malarial medications, so those would be among the medications that were found in their room. As far as cocaine, maybe I'm naive, but the sisters appeared very health conscious in photos and pursuits. Drinking is one thing, but they didn't strike me as wreckless types willing to take unnecessary risks (acquiring and using a drug in a foreign country). But who knows...

One thing that I just noticed is that Robin's Facebook page seems to be missing now. When I looked up both sisters 2 days ago, I could find both Facebook pages, but I noticed that Annie posted more, and Robin had a pretty big gap of activity on Facebook. However, I suppose this could have had to do with her privacy settings. Anyway, I do wonder if there is any significance in the fact that I can no longer find Robin's page on Facebook. I wonder if her place of employment could request to have it removed? Interesting. This is a sad story, and I certainly hope if there was foul play involved (somebody tampering with their drinks), that this person is caught, and caught quickly.

Thinking some more... I know, that's scary, right? But, I find it beyond comprehensible that they both died of a drug overdose. At least something taken voluntarily. Then again, what if someone purposely gave them something, either slipped it in their drinks. Or in a joint. Or in a bit of cocaine. On purpose. That's about where my thinking's lying at this point. How horrendous.

Hi, I have just found and read this thread. As an enthusiastic traveller it scares the bejesus out of me.

First I'd like to say BS on the "locals" who claim many tourists there take cocaine. Tourism is so important and it's in everyone's best interest there to shift the blame away from the destination a nd put the blame for the deaths squarely on the women. So I call foul there.

This past summer a honeymooning couple from Holland inexplicably died together in their hotel room in the tourist area of Bayahibe in the Dominican republic. It was all but squashed by the hotel. I gave been there three times and actually went to the hotel next door a month later so I was worried. The blame finally fell to tainted fish they ingested that day on an excursion to Saona island (same trip I've taken 3 times). Everyone else who ate the fish were fine. (This is not uncommon as possibly on one of the fish was infected with the toxin)

I'm not saying anything about what killed these sisters, however if pesticides, tainted drinks or any number of environmental deficiencies were to blame, well good luck finding out the truth. Tourism is $$$$$.

In Thailand it's common to sell drinks to tourists made with gasoline or lighter fluid (different travellers, usually backpackers), but I have a friend who is from Dubai and he stayed at a $$$$ resort on Phuket and still managed to be served a very, very questionable cocktail while on excursion.

OK, sorry to ramble. I do not think these women had a suicide pact. People that commit suicide aren't going to go on a tour of Africa as a last hurrah. People who commit suicide are desperate, and deeply afflicted. Only way I see suicide is if one of them was dying and they made a pact. Autopsy doesn't mention disease as far as I know.

I would look to either their drinks were spiked, pesticide (I've worked in industry and the stuff they use at resorts are BANNED in U.S.), or tainted fish, Ciguetera fish poisoning (didn't another man die at a nearby resort? Check the fish!!!! Or maybe there is some kind of crazy flu developing...(I don't think this last one)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Could be ciguatera. Gotta look up the symptoms.

I live in a foreign Third World country where it can be incredibly expensive to stay. I guarantee you 100% that rich tourists get drugs,

If you are a movie star or someone with that kind of money, you land in your private plane. The pilot hands out the passports. You do not get the drug sniffing dogs. The countries want your $10,000 a night that you are willing to spend . And then it is advertised that you came to this country and had a great time.

When you return to the US, such as with Brangelina, your plane lands in a tiny airport such as International Falls, MN. That way you don't have to go through pesky LAX or NYC with their drug sniffing dogs and other pesky rules. You have to go through customs when entering the US from a foreign country.

The sisters would not qualify for the rich category to escape detection, but they could have met people that do.

The Seychelles is not Thailand. The resort is exclusive. Guarded. There are employess at resorts and locals in the area that get tourists what they want in high end resort areas. Money gets what people want and people are silent because of the economic impact. I have seen it where I live. The conspiracy of silence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth
Back