aggravated waiting for the Aggravation phase #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, IIRC I think the letter in which JA says that her lawyer called Ryan this was written BEFORE Wilmott was on the case. IMO JA was referring to her previous attorney who was also female.

I didn't realize that! I can't keep dates/timelines straight in this case anymore....

LOL, your post gave me a mental image of victim's impact statements interrupted every other word by objections! IOW, a 15-minute statement takes two hours to present because the DT jumps up with, "Objection, approach," over and over...and over.

All in an attempt to reduce the IMPACT.

That's pretty much the mental picture I had. Endless sidebars, witness sitting there in tears, judge getting frustrated. You know what, though? Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Even more encouragement for the jury to vote the DP.

Did anyone watch the 20/20 episode?

JA is clearly in jail stripes, top and bottom, for her post-conviction interview.

I thought the 20/20 show featured Jodi in stripes very shortly after her arrest, not her conviction??

I think Wilmott was blown away by the magnitude of the verdict. All twelve voted for premeditation. Somehow, I don't think Wilmott was expecting that. I saw her more as stunned and incredulous than angry. JMO

When the clerk of the court gave the felony/premeditated rundown, Willmott gave a Puggle head tilt....like 'really????'.....

Anyone surprised to learn that it was Willmott and not Nurmi who called Ryan Burns a 'wh@re for the State'? I automatically assumed it was KN until I saw JA say 'she' or 'her'.... WOW.

I think Jodi had a previous female lawyer back in 2009 when she wrote that..I think Willmott was added to the case more recently

Source: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Crime_Victims/victimRights/

Victim Impact Statement

The victim impact statement may be either written or oral. It allows the victim to provide information for the judge’s consideration at sentencing. It allows the victim to show the pain, anguish, and financial devastation the crime may have caused. The judge really does not know how truly affected the victim is unless the victim speaks up.

When you give your victim impact statement, you may choose to be very brief - or you may decide to talk at length. You may have other family members join you in giving a statement.

The victim impact statement is the ONLY TIME that you will have to address the one person - the judge - who can decide the fate of the defendant.

The victim impact statement is YOUR TIME - USE IT!!

Some items to consider when deciding what to say (always go into detail)
Physical injuries suffered
Medical treatment required
Psychological injuries suffered
Psychological treatment required
Amount of time lost from work
Prognosis for further psychological treatment
Prognosis for further medical treatment including surgery, therapy, etc.
Lingering pain, anxiety, anguish, and nightmares
The affect on your lifestyle
The affect on your family’s lifestyle
In the event of a death, tell what it is like to get a phone call in the middle of the night, to rush to the hospital and not knowing if your loved one will still be alive when you reach them.
In the event of a death, describe what it is like to explain a death to younger siblings still alive, to the children left behind, or other family members.
In the event of the death of a child, explain what it is like to give birth to a child, raise and nurture them with love and care - and then to have them taken away before they have lived a full life.
In the event of the death of a spouse, tell what it is like to marry the person of your dreams, to plan, to love, to expect to celebrate your 50th anniversary with that person - and then to have them taken away.

Researching this, I cannot find what is allowable or not in Arizona. I have found some interesting pieces which address challenges to the VIS and the likelihood that such challenges backfire on the defendant, now convicted.

One of the things that I am really wondering about is if the family, in their VIS, can address the "continued assault on Travis" through the courts by the convicted murdered after his death. So much of their grief and pain has been suspended, prolonged, magnified, etc. since learning of his death up to this phase of the trial.

They should amend their statements to reflect the disgusting interview she did, still calling him an abuser, still lying about being "forced" to trial. It never ends.

I'm very happy you didn't internalize all of that and you now enjoy the CHOICE of being an orphan. *hugs*

I saw a LOT of my ex in Arias' performance on the stand. It was slippery because the words she used weren't disrespectful or angry, it's the combination and intonation she used that made it so disrespectful and maddening, yet you couldn't pin her down to any specific thing because it was all hostile in such a passive aggressive way.

My ex was a sociopath. The really smooth kind: smart (double PH.Ds from Cambridge and Oxford; law degree from Stanford), handsome, funny, fun, exciting and he could *write* ... but he was always the victim, nothing was ever his fault, it was always something someone else had done or failed to do that caused him to fail, be late, forget something. He could be so condescending and snotty when I’d trying to explain why I was upset with him and somehow turned it all around so that, in the end, he's made the convincing argument that I’M REALLY THE ONE who actually pissed myself off.

He was so good at turning and twisting and distorting reality so that it ended up being all my fault. And he managed to do it using words that were completely reasonable and rational; no “furious” words at all. Just measured and calm. Like it’s me who’s the nutjob getting mad. “You are so angry with me, B. Your posture is so defensive, I just don’t understand ... I'm trying to hear you but you're making it difficult ...”

URGH. And when I tried to explain it to people, it even sounded to ME like I was the crazy one. My girlfriends would all roll their eyes and tell me to simmer down. Hah!! After about 6 months, they all got it.

One of my friends who is a shrink encouraged us to go to therapy because I was going completely insane.

After seeing the therapist for about 3 months, he and I and his kids flew to the UK to visit his family. (semi-disaster sigh) When we got back, he didn't want to go to the next therapy session. I went alone.

I sat down and told her we'd spent the 8 weeks we were away with his family. The first thing the therapist said was,

"Are they normal?" :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

She’d asked me to send her a few “incidents" that had caused problems.

This one was the best examples I sent to her of how he functioned.

And the entire relationship was like that until I moved out. Could not get out fast enough. And of course the breakup was completely my fault and I had been unwilling to commit. :rolleyes:

OMG...........that's just what it's like! Can you say "Hypochondriac"? My dad was always "sick" unless he was doing something he WANTED to do.......like lay out next to the pool all day. Don't get me wrong, he WASN'T lazy, he was a very successful business man. Part of his mantra was it was going to be our legacy to continue, so we busted out asses during the busy season for him, thinking we were building our future, Ha, Ha, Ha. We were so gullible and such fools.
When mom filed divorce when I was 23, it was all about what "she" was doing to "US"...uh, sorry dad, she's divorcing YOU. He drug that out for over 7 years in the Maricopa County court system...I think it's still a record. He destroyed his business so she wouldn't get a dime in the settlement, It was insane!!!!!

Ick. Ick. Ick. Manipulation to the max. A Legend in their own mind. Everyone persecutes them because they're such a fine person. Yada, yada, yada.

Glad you got out of that situation, those kind of people just suck the life out of you!:twocents:

I think Wilmott was blown away by the magnitude of the verdict. All twelve voted for premeditation. Somehow, I don't think Wilmott was expecting that. I saw her more as stunned and incredulous than angry. JMO

Not sure how she could be stunned and incredulous at the verdict, unless she is blind, deaf and dumb. Everything was so obvious, nothing was circumstantial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the VIS's given AFTER the jury makes its decision and BEFORE the Judge makes the final ruling? Straighten me out here....

This morning I had a chance to view www.travisalexanderjustice/memorial that a kind poster linked and I bookmarked. I was struck by several things, many of which we know.

Travis had a massive amount of friends who loved and cared about him. He touched a lot of people's lives during his short life, and has continued to do so in death. His kindness has had huge ripple effects.

On this site, His blog from MySpace was quoted containing something that I had read before, but I had never thought much about. He spoke of *advertiser censored* and a webcam which I think was directed at CFJA. I never made the connection before. I always thought it was the sex tape that infuriated him, but now I wonder if CFJA videotaped them during sex and he had no knowledge of that either. I am now wondering if she amassed an arsenal of compromising material to essentially blackmail him with.

Sorry if this has been debated and discussed before. I am sometimes a little slow on the uptake.

I don't understand why the Victim Impact Statements should be limited. The statements by CFJA during trial certainly were not. How could this possibly be fair? :banghead:

I don't get it either. You ask someone how they feel, they tell you. How can you object (legally) to that? You can't force someone to feel or unfeel something. Maybe they don't want people getting on the stand saying they hope Jodi fries. I suppose that would be a legitimate objection. But, jeez, just tell witnesses not to say that. They don't have to be on videotape.

When the verdict was read, who are the 2 dark haired ladies sitting in front of the Alexander family? One had a black tank on, the other maybe a pinkish top. Is one of those Det Flores' wife? And there's a younger broad-shouldered man in a khaki colored suit sitting near the Alexander family near the front- is that JM's brother? TIA

I think they are victim's advocates for the true victims, the Alexander family.

I don't understand why the Victim Impact Statements should be limited. The statements by CFJA during trial certainly were not. How could this possibly be fair? :banghead:

It's a "fair trial" if no rights of the defendant are stepped on. In court, the prosecution has the burden and few rights, and the defendant has all the rights, with little to no burden. Basically, for legal purposes, "fair" has nothing to do with actual fairness, because actual fairness requires a level playing field.

*unpacks bag with postcards made from Cinnabon boxes*
*prepares new page for drafting suitable greetings.* Congratulations on your well-deserved DP sentence is still favourite
*sips tea from WAT cup*

ETA

Here is the sleuthers most recent list of the things the jury doesn't know that we do. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208461 Please cast your sleuthing eye over it and let me know if we are missing any bits of evidence/information that you think would have helped you reach a decision in this case. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. Top sleuthing.

ETA

Modgods - could we change the Travis tribute to this clip now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMFBm-utyxo

In this wonderful video, Steven has on our tie. He wore it on verdict day. That was a lovely thing for him to do. Just sayin...

I remember this but I've just had a thought, I wonder if the angry emails had anything to do with this. Could JA have scammed Travis in any way about the car? JA said on this tape they had spoken to their attorneys about the car, and JA said in the angry text exchange, she was contacting her attorney for that other issue. Could there have been a connection?

Jumping off your post here. Why was CFJA always asking to switch cars and use Travis' car? He always seem to let her.

I honestly don't know how Willmott could have been surprised. But that look she shot back at the Alexander family is what bothers me. It was much more than being stunned and incredulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member