Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
1707348973748.pngTaking the stand now is Veronica Abouchuk's second oldest daughter Christy Grimaldi. Christy had her youngest child in 2016. In 2016 her mother tried to live with Christy, but Veronica just couldn't handle that setting. Christy tried to get her to stay, but Veronica wanted to leave. There was frustration for Christy trying to understand and keep up with how her mother was doing, and accept her life style when she was younger. Veronica had lots of friends and would couch surf at times, and at one time was living outside. Daughter says her mother struggled with addiction.

At one time, unsure of timing, Christy was told her mom was deceased, but it turned out to be someone else deceased with her mother's ID, but it was not her mother. She's having memory difficulties on the time periods. Shown photo of her taken with her mother, it isn't time stamped, but around 2016. She didn't see her mother after that, asked family members and tried to locate her other ways, without finding her mother. Daughter felt scared, felt something was wrong, now says she was in denial. Eventually filed a missing persons report on Feb. 19, 2019. Defense is up to question her. Now, we're on a 15 minute break.

According to court documents, it was Casler who gave police the pictures and videos allegedly showing Brian Smith brutally beating, killing a woman, and then manipulating the body on an SD card labeled
“Homicide at midtown Marriott.”

“In the hotel room, it showed her laying on the ground — on the rug — and she was, like, all beat up. I mean her face was not even recognizable, and he was hitting her and telling her she isn’t going to leave the hotel alive, that he’s killing her,” Casler testified.

She says the video shows he then carried her body outside and put it in his truck.

″He’s propping her up and posing her in different ways and playing with her,” Casler said as she described to jurors what she saw.

Court documents identified the body as 30-year-old Kathleen Jo Henry.

[...]

Casler also said that she knew the victim, Henry, but wasn’t able to recognize her in the videos because of her injuries.

Asked why she wanted to testify, Casler told the jury that she knew her and “considered her my friend and I just wanted her to go home.”

Defense wanted Jurors to be brought in and questioned, but Judge says the admonishments and reminders to the Jury will have to be good enough for them to understand their duty to report to the Judge if they accidently overhear anything while on breaks or lunch recesses perhaps standing near family members. Now, Jurors are being let into the courtroom, and Judge is reminding them. Next witness being called.

1707352075568.pngWitness Detective David Cordie. He was assigned to the Homicide Dept. back in 2018-2019. He learned about Brian Smith and also about his truck in 2018. A woman Alisha Youngblood provided info about Brian back in 2017-2018.

Once Detective Cordie heard the voice, a British sounding voice, on the 2019 video, he surmised it must be the same person related to the Miss Young Blood's case. :eek: Detective had Brian's number from the previous 2018 case on record.

Potential suspect, Brian, was in the Washington DC area at the point they had concluded he was the man connected to the videos. The Detective was aware of this DC location, and forwarded that to the detectives working of the SD card case. He and another detective packed bags and were on a plane to the DC area asap. Surveillance was put on them to locate Mr. Smith and his wife. They didn't want his wife to be tipped off before, she came out of the restaurant.

Brian's wife demeanor was that she was confused. At first she was in denial. Clueless that this could have been going on. She was cooperative, gave a DNA swab he thinks. They had taken her device.

Cross examination now. Confirming that Brian's spouse was probably genuinely surprised to find Alaskan LE in the parking lot in DC, but she agreed to come down to the station to answer their questions.

*Please note here-- I am not sure how Alisha / Alicia spells her name. I have no idea who Alisha Youngblood is and what info she was providing to LE back in 2017-2018 before the SD card discovery. MOO, is she the gf that Brian confessed to?
animated-question-mark-sign-image-0011.gif

Back in August 2017 several times a day info was being provided. Youngblood volunteered info to detective in 2018, at first unidentified, later giving her name. Left state after providing info to multiple officers. She was very concerned the info she was providing, and remained so throughout. (*End of testimony without an explanation about Ms. Youngblood
animated-question-mark-sign-image-0011.gif

*ETA- most interested in learning more about Ms. Youngblood.

My own wording and MOO

Last edited:
1707354142000.pngMedical Examiner - Dr. Christin Rolf testifying about the bullet findings, metals, and a bullet defect. She and an anthropologist and other experts worked together to determine findings and prepare her report. She feels confident it was a gun shot wound in question.

The feed keeps stopping and starting, so I'm going to stop transcribing and just try to listen in. Am I the only one here now watching the trial?

1707356260475.png1707356475996.png

1707356382580.pngValerie Casler is considered a key witness in this trial. This is the woman who turned over an SD card to LE. She is responsible for providing evidence that cracked these cases. MOO, Valerie Casler is a Hero that saved lives coming forward bravely to get this serial killer behind bars and save many women's lives.

I already covered this testimony, look for it upthread. They feed must be on a loop. It's 11:50 a.m. in Anchorage according to the youtube feed.

Alaska V. Brian Smith

He mentioned getting a "Red Hand Emoji"... red they say is calling back the missing spirits of the women lost.
1707345468798.png
Yes, @whiterhino, but it's a movement, too, and very appropriate the meaning in these cases. It wasn't just because it was mentioned on the youtube channel, but that it was a visual as seen below at one of the hearings in this case.
Yes! That's why the Red Hand Emoji is important.

1707364704708.png
Joanne Sakar and Natasha Gamache, supporters of
Veronica Abouchuk sit at Brian Smith's arraignment

wearing red hands over their faces, symbols of a nationwide movement to improve the startling statistics about missing and murdered indigenous women. (KTUU)

Witness Detective David Cordie. He was assigned to the Homicide Dept. back in 2018-2019. He learned about Brian Smith and also about his truck in 2018. A woman Alisha Youngblood provided info about Brian back in 2017-2018

All MOO here. This trial is hardly being brought to the public's attention, here in the states it seems, and hasn't been. I turned on Court TV and didn't see it covered today. Did you? Not very publicized, not recognized as important. MOO, I think it has a lot to do with these women being indigenous, one of the many women missing from that area. Women that have struggled, lived a harsh lifestyle, sometimes homeless, suffering from abuse and being killed and going nameless. MOO, it's only due to one, maybe two, brave women bringing this to the LE's attention in a big way. Thank You to them.

Tomorrow I have appts. and won't be able to watch the trial. Please if someone else watches the trial and hears more on that Alisha Youngblood who gave LE info on Brian and his truck back in 2017-2018, please post about it. I don't think his wife can testify, but will his sister try to help him with favorable comments at sentencing?

I'm super curious to find out what's the story about this woman, Alisha Youngblood.
(spelled right?) MOO, she was the first to alert LE about Brian. Then when Valerie Casler gave them that shocking SD card with Brian's voice on it, the detective remembered about that voice being described before. Fascinating how the puzzle pieces fell into place to get this monster arrested.

Alaska V. Brian Smith - Justice for Kathleen and Veronica​

streaming LIVE 2/8 at 1pm EST

According to court documents, it was Casler who gave police the pictures and videos allegedly showing Brian Smith brutally beating, killing a woman, and then manipulating the body on an SD card labeled “Homicide at midtown Marriott.”

“In the hotel room, it showed her laying on the ground — on the rug — and she was, like, all beat up. I mean her face was not even recognizable, and he was hitting her and telling her she isn’t going to leave the hotel alive, that he’s killing her,” Casler testified.

She says the video shows he then carried her body outside and put it in his truck.

″He’s propping her up and posing her in different ways and playing with her,” Casler said as she described to jurors what she saw.

Court documents identified the body as 30-year-old Kathleen Jo Henry.

Smith is on trial for both the death of Henry and 53-year-old Veronica Abouchuk, whose body was found by mushroom pickers on April 10, 2019.

He faces 14 counts, including first- and second-degree murder, assault, and tampering with evidence.

The defense will begin cross-examining Casler on Thursday morning. (BBM)

View attachment 481721View attachment 481723

View attachment 481722Valerie Casler is considered a key witness in this trial. This is the woman who turned over an SD card to LE. She is responsible for providing evidence that cracked these cases. MOO, Valerie Casler is a Hero that saved lives coming forward bravely to get this serial killer behind bars and save many women's lives.

I already covered this testimony, look for it upthread. They feed must be on a loop. It's 11:50 a.m. in Anchorage according to the youtube feed.

Alaska V. Brian Smith
I would like to express how grateful I am for Valerie Casler.

What Valerie did is incredibly brave (and probably terrifying). She is my hero for coming forward. I hope with all of my heart that she is able to receive support and counselling etc if needed.

Sidenote: I have always wondered about the SD card and where it was found. It all makes sense now.

I haven't watched any footage of the trial yet. This one boils my blood too much to follow in real time. Are there any reporters following along on "X"? Might be easier to post their updates rather than transcribing for us @Curious Me ty so much for keeping us updated! I hate BSS FWIW, can't wait for sentencing!!!

1707434750364.png Video and a close up view of a hero Valerie Casler the woman who turned in the memory card evidence that resulted in this serial killer's arrest. She's a hero. I'm sure she realized she could've been one of his victims. She spent hours in his truck with him; she actually stole his phone. She was living in a tent in the woods when she managed to make a SD memory card and turned it over to LE. She was brave to come forward. She saved lives. Wishing her a great future going forward and keeping her in my prayers.

MOO, A HERO - Watch the Video here.
1707434833929.png
1707434899241.png

Last edited:
1707436466688.png Valerie Casler is back on the stand, on a 2nd day, being crossed by the Defense. Initially when Brian picked her up he was looking for someone name Sonya, and they drove around looking for this Sonya.

They drove around. Valerie says she spent half the night with Brian, she says, so about 6 hours. (
Bear with me trying to record what I hear being said in the courtroom because the feed keeps cutting in and out.)

There was a sidebar without Jury present just before Valerie's to be called to the stand. Defense, said as much, is trying to trip her up so he can point out conflicting statements. (I don't know why Defense thinks picking apart this person's testimony will help the killer's defense. I think there's plenty of evidence to support that he killed two women.)

Defense is grilling her in a tricky way. Valerie's not having any of it. Valerie just called him on it too. She said irritated at Defense, "You're trying to mix my sh-t up." Grilling her about Brian's phone. He wants to imply there's question about what was on the SD card. Grilling her about who labeled it a "Homicide" on the SD card and what she told police. (I do believe within the info on Brian's phone, it already showed the location and was labeled, but perhaps that's wrong.)

Valerie said she saw Kathleen on September 3rd, which would be the same day Brian first picked her up. Kathleen was dead by Sept. 6th. She knew Kathleen.

Valerie is not intimidated at all. MOO, this woman is smart, and very aware. She says she remembers everything. She may have not been honest with the police at first because she was scared. He tried to corner her, but Valerie does not back down. Please if you can, watch a rerun of this testimony, 2nd day of Valerie on the stand. I can't possibly transcribe all what is going on in that courtroom.
(No little blurb from an X reporter could possibly capture this encounter, @whiterhino. I've watched countless trials and this is worth watching. I tend to drift off when listening unless I'm transcribing. It keeps my attention focused.) Defense probably made some points, but Valerie is an expert witness, IMO, and a role model of how to handle sneaky defense tactics.

Her testimony ends more positively with Prosecution questioning how Valerie went to see a therapist soon after seeing the images she saw on Brian's phone and they left her traumatized. She gets off the stand, and holds on to the handrail walking away limping. MOO and observations.

1707437919033.png1707437285362.png1707437262966.png

Last edited:
1707442945118.png
The courtroom was on a 15 minute recess, then the feed wasn't up to catch the name of this witness. This is a witness from Brian's employment at a hotel. Brian was one of three engineers. Exhibit 33 is submitted. It's a timecard showing when Brian punched in and out for work. It appears he punched in on Sept. 3rd at 7:45, and on Sept. 4th he only worked 7 hrs. - well, I think he was committing the murder of Kathleen from 9/3 t0 9/6. ??? I was never sure it took place at the same hotel... I'm not sure? Anybody know?

1707443856573.png

Another witness, Detective Tiffani Loughman, took the stand. She mentions Room 323. That is the room he had Kathleen in. :( Later in the testimony, the detective describes approaching Brian's wife in DC., after she had finished a meal in DC restaurant. Detective says the wife was 69 at the time, and had had a stroke, so it required clarifying what they were doing there. Her general reaction was not shock, it may have not sunk in, she wasn't surprised or seemed to question why officers from Alaska were in DC to question her about her husband. At that time, Wife was probably not fully grasping, so was more worried about her cat back in Alaska.

They got back in Alaska and at some point asked Brian's wife for a certain blanket. They located the blanket. I don't know how it relates? Not explained now. Recess for 20 minutes.

Recess Sidebar-- Sharing with the Judge that when Prosecution calls Detective Lee at first, they will also be calling him at the end of the trial. Defense starts in attacking Valerie Casler's creditability to the Judge! Defense is telling the Judge all the flaws in her testimony, complaining that Ms. Casler didn't recognize the victim Kathleen Henry on the video at the time, but why that matters is beyond my understanding. Prosecution argues that Ms. Casler is sure she copied all the images from the phone to the SD card and that is what is important.

Defense argues there's no way to prove BS murdered without the video that may have been tampered with by Ms. Casler. Judge says he understands Defense's questioning that and whether the SD card contains accurate non altered content. The Judge will rule for "Conditional Admission" to lay the foundation before the video is allowed to be played for the Jury. Prosecution says she has a witness lined up that will sufficiently lay the foundation.

Bringing the Jury back in now. No court on Friday!
Be back Monday Morning at 8:30 a.m. MOO and the observations made are in my own wording.

Last edited:
No judgments of this woman please. Valerie Casler is a hero. There would've been many more women Brian Smith would have killed if she had not turned over that SD card to LE. She is responsible for providing the key evidence needed to stop this extremely diabolical and cruel serial killer. Thank You Valerie.
Thank you for saying this. She must have been absolutely terrified and who knows what her previous trauma with men and police might have been--but she did the right thing anyway. That's courage.

Curious Me, you've done a wonderful job of covering the trial for us. There was a bit of time when I was able to watch Valerie Casler's testimony today, but the buffering was awful. There was a break in testimony, after an officer spoke, and I couldn't get back to it. So thanks again.

Curious Me, you've done a wonderful job of covering the trial for us. There was a bit of time when I was able to watch Valerie Casler's testimony today, but the buffering was awful. There was a break in testimony, after an officer spoke, and I couldn't get back to it. So thanks again.
I appreciate you saying that, @MeadowMuffin. Thanks. So glad you were watching too. Oh yes, the feed and buffering were so sporadic, and it was hard to hear at times. There's all these pieces that are going to come together down the line.

Thank you for saying this. She must have been absolutely terrified and who knows what her previous trauma with men and police might have been--but she did the right thing anyway. That's courage.
Thanks. It's so good to see you, @Lore Listener. Look at how clear Valerie's eyes are in that photo of her above. She's got a good mind despite all she's probably been through. It really saddens me that the Defense was very hard on her today and questioning her creditability. Sure, she might have some faulty memories, but like she asked at one point-- Why would she lie? Yes, @Lore Listener, she did the right thing. She wasn't going to get anything out of it. I wish she knew how much we here are applauding her. You're a hero, Valerie Casler.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawdaughter222
Back