GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Trial Update - Docket #64:

06/08/2018 TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares: IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the Final Pretrial Conference is set for 5/20/2019 at 8:30 AM , and Trial by Jury is set for 5/20/2019 at 9:00 AM in the Juneau Courtroom before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. (JDS, CHAMBERS STAFF)

Trial Update - Docket #64:

06/08/2018 TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares: IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the Final Pretrial Conference is set for 5/20/2019 at 8:30 AM , and Trial by Jury is set for 5/20/2019 at 9:00 AM in the Juneau Courtroom before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. (JDS, CHAMBERS STAFF)

So it looks like final pretrial is set 1/2 hour before trial starts - ??.

And thanks for the updates! Very much appreciated. Do you have a link where you are finding these dockets. I'd like to see if I can get into it.

deleted this post - I read it COMPLETELY wrong!

Last edited:
Attorneys in cruise ship murder case will split up blood evidence, notice says
https://www.ktoo.org/2018/04/08/att...ase-will-split-up-blood-evidence-notice-says/

Both parties in a cruise ship murder case have agreed on how to handle blood evidence in the case, according to a notice the Public Defender’s Office entered Friday into U.S. District Court.
[.....]
During various warranted searches, authorities took four 10-milliliter tubes of blood from Manzanares.
[.....]
The notice says that the U.S. Attorney’s Office agrees to keep two vials of the defendant’s blood for testing, and provide the remaining two vials to the defense for independent testing.

Both parties in the case also requested that an April 11 hearing regarding the motion to preserve evidence be vacated, according to the notice.

Trial by jury is scheduled to begin Nov. 5. If convicted, Manzanares could face life in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

I find it very strange that as of April, defendant's blood taken by warrant still not tested! Might explain why both FBI and State labs rejected request to test, leaving no other option except for independent lab testing. Now that samples were split between defense and prosecution, perhaps they will present different results at trial....

Judge limits release of certain visitor info in murder case

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) - A federal judge is barring release of certain visitor information for an imprisoned man accused of killing his wife on an Alaska cruise last summer.

U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Burgess is prohibiting staff with the state Department of Corrections from releasing, without a court order, the name or title of any member of Kenneth Manzanares' legal team, as well as the date or type of the visit.

Members of the legal team include lawyers, investigators and experts.

Another article on who visits him:

Defense allowed to keep prison visit records from prosecution in cruise ship murder case

What happens behind bars stays behind bars, in the case of accused cruise ship murderer Kenneth Manzanares’ legal team.

When professionals such as attorneys, paralegals, investigators, experts or doctors visit Manzanares at Lemon Creek Correctional Center, the prison is forbidden from giving information about those visits to the government, according to a court order dated July 9.
[.....]
Schmidt also said the court order granting this motion, from U.S. District Judge Timothy M. Burgess, was very specific that this court order applied only to professional visits. If family members or other members of the public correspond with Manzanares, that correspondence is open to the prosecution.

Has motion in pdf file in link.

This info is news to me and I haven't seen it mentioned... so I just thought I'd share.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox13n...in-cruise-ship-murder-of-st-george-woman/amp/

In their response, federal prosecutors in Alaska said they have provided more than 1,900 pages of evidence to the defense in the case.

That evidence “includes reports of the investigation, interviews with various witnesses including audio and video recordings, a recorded interview of the defendant where he admits striking the victim, seeing blood and hitting the victim again, crime scene photographs, and written reports of ship personnel who responded to the crime scene,” wrote assistant U.S. Attorney Jack Schmidt.

“In addition to those reports, a medical examiner’s report and all accompanying documents and photographs depicting the severe facial and cranial injuries suffered by the victim at the hands of the defendant,” he added.

This was incredibly disturbing to read... bare hands, cranial injuries, seeing blood and hitting her again? He must have just been wailing on her with his fists. :(

I hate to say it, but this case really feels like a temporary insanity plea. Everything I have read indicates that he didn't have this type of personality previously. No warning signs. However, once again, no one knows what happens behind closed doors.

Monday, November 5th:
*Trial was set to begin-Delayed to 5/20/19! - AK - Kristy Manzanares (39) (July 25, 2017, Emerald Princes, Juneau) - Kenneth Manzanares (39), (husband accused on Alaskan cruise ship) indicted on 1st degree Federal Murder; plead not guilty on 8/23/17. DA will not seek DP.
Trial was set for Nov. 5th, delayed to 5/20/19.

This info is news to me and I haven't seen it mentioned... so I just thought I'd share.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox13n...in-cruise-ship-murder-of-st-george-woman/amp/

In their response, federal prosecutors in Alaska said they have provided more than 1,900 pages of evidence to the defense in the case.

That evidence “includes reports of the investigation, interviews with various witnesses including audio and video recordings, a recorded interview of the defendant where he admits striking the victim, seeing blood and hitting the victim again, crime scene photographs, and written reports of ship personnel who responded to the crime scene,” wrote assistant U.S. Attorney Jack Schmidt.

“In addition to those reports, a medical examiner’s report and all accompanying documents and photographs depicting the severe facial and cranial injuries suffered by the victim at the hands of the defendant,” he added.

This was incredibly disturbing to read... bare hands, cranial injuries, seeing blood and hitting her again? He must have just been wailing on her with his fists. :(
Brutal crime -- the crime scene photographer reportedly sued for emotional distress/PTSD. Much here reported in this thread.

Can anyone get into the Federal court site for Alaska? I can't - just wondering when his next court date might be!

TIA! :)

That's the thing - I can't find a link.... :(

edited: I take that back - I do have a link - but don't know "where" to go on it. @JanetElaine

Federal Courts & the Public

@Niner oh I see... yeah I got there too but then didn't know where to go from there either lol. (Also apologies for the late reply. I attempted to get on here several times but never actually had time... it's been a crappy week).

Can anyone get into the Federal court site for Alaska? I can't - just wondering when his next court date might be!

TIA! :)

08/09/2018
Docket #77

AMENDED CASE SCHEDULING ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares: FPTC/TBJ set
for 5/20/2019 at 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM respectively;
Status Conferences set for 10/5/2018 at 10:00 AM --VACATED,
1/24/2019 at 10:00 AM,
and 3/21/2019 at 10:00 AM.

Signed by Judge Timothy M. Burgess on
8/9/2018. (JDS, CHAMBERS STAFF) Modified on 8/13/2018 to
correct TBJ date. (RMC, COURT STAFF). (Entered: 08/09/2018)

Trial Schedule remains as previously noted for 5/20/19.
The status conference for 10/5/18 was vacated as it was determined unnecessary as info was covered at 9/21/18 status conference. Defendant typically appears Telephonically.

Docket entries #77-85 uploaded as courtesy.
I cannot provide my link --access is restricted.

Attachments

• Pgs from 20181110_docket 77-85.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 13
08/09/2018
Docket #77

AMENDED CASE SCHEDULING ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares: FPTC/TBJ set
for 5/20/2019 at 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM respectively;
Status Conferences set for 10/5/2018 at 10:00 AM --VACATED,
1/24/2019 at 10:00 AM,
and 3/21/2019 at 10:00 AM.

Signed by Judge Timothy M. Burgess on
8/9/2018. (JDS, CHAMBERS STAFF) Modified on 8/13/2018 to
correct TBJ date. (RMC, COURT STAFF). (Entered: 08/09/2018)

Trial Schedule remains as previously noted for 5/20/19.
The status conference for 10/5/18 was vacated as it was determined unnecessary as info was covered at 9/21/18 status conference. Defendant typically appears Telephonically.

Docket entries #77-85 uploaded as courtesy.
I cannot provide my link --access is restricted.
Thanks Seattle1
I was a bit lost navigating the updated PACER Case Locator. o_O Therefore, I'm posting the search criteria for future reference:
Case Number: 1:17-cr-00010
Court ID: AK
PACER Case Locator
PACER Case Locator
^^Login required
U.S. District Court
District of Alaska (Juneau)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:17-cr-00010-TMB-1
Case title: USA v. Manzanares
Magistrate judge case number: 1:17-mj-00023-LCL
Date Filed: 08/17/2017
Recent docket entries:
08/09/2018 77 AMENDED CASE SCHEDULING ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares: FPTC/TBJ set for 5/20/2019 at 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM respectively; Status Conferences set for 10/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, 1/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, and 3/21/2019 at 10:00 AM. Signed by Judge Timothy M. Burgess on 8/9/2018. (JDS, CHAMBERS STAFF) Modified on 8/13/2018 to correct TBJ date. (RMC, COURT STAFF). (Entered: 08/09/2018)
09/19/2018 78 UNOPPOSED MOTION on Shortened Time for Defendant to Appear Telephonically at Status Conference by Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(McGrady, Jamie) (Entered: 09/19/2018)
09/19/2018 79 TMB ORDER GRANTING 78 Unopposed Motion on Shortened Time for Defendant to Appear Telephonically at Status Conference by Kenneth Manzanares. The defendant is directed to call 1-888-278-0296, Access Code 9623794 from a landline telephone five minutes prior to the scheduled start time. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) Modified on 9/19/2018 to add judge initials.(RMC, COURT STAFF). (Entered: 09/19/2018)
09/20/2018 80 TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares. IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that a status conference with counsel re the status of United States' Discovery Responses is set for 9/21/2018 at 8:00 AM in Juneau Courtroom before Judge Timothy Burgess. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 09/20/2018)
09/20/2018 81 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Timothy M. Burgess: Status Conference as to Kenneth Manzanares held 1:07 PM to 1:12 PM, 1:20 PM to 1:23 PM, and 1:29 PM to 1:38 PM on 9/20/2018. Court and counsel heard re status and Historical discovery issues. Clarification on issues is needed. STATUS CONFERENCE set for 9/21/2018 at 8:00 AM before Judge Timothy M. Burgess, in Juneau Courtroom. The defendant waived his appearance. APPEARANCES: Defendant Present, In-custody (Telephonic); Jack S. Schmidt, AUSA; Jamie McGrady, FPD; R. Joy Stancel, Official Reporter. (AXK, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 09/24/2018)
09/21/2018 83 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Timothy M. Burgess: Status Conference as to Kenneth Manzanares held 8:07 AM to 8:10 AM on 9/21/2018. The defendant waived his appearance. Court and counsel heard re discovery delays. Plaintiff's paper evidence will be forwarded to Defense counsel today, and audio evidence will be delivered to Defense by Monday. APPEARANCES: Jack S. Schmidt, AUSA; Jamie McGrady, FPD; R. Joy Stancel, Official Reporter. (AXK, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 09/24/2018)
09/26/2018 84 UNOPPOSED MOTION to Vacate October 5, 2018 Status Conference by Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(McGrady, Jamie) (Entered: 09/26/2018)
09/28/2018 85 TMB TEXT ORDER granting 84 Unopposed Motion to vacate the status conference. The status conference previously set for 10/5/2018 at 10:00 a.m. is HEREBY VACATED as to Kenneth Manzanares (1). (RMC, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 09/28/2018)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back