GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Have to agree with you on him not being a very mentally stable person!! Wondering what kind of plea deal he got....

Capital punishment is a legal penalty in the United States Federal Government criminal justice system (KM charged in federal court). Maybe that was the defendant's initial concern when he pled not guilty initially (although I don't think the death penalty ever considered).

I think the plea deal was mutual on both sides to both avoid a trial for his family but also because of whatever was disclosed in his psych evaluation which has never been public. Perhaps we will hear about his evaluation at sentencing.

I know there are no federal prisons in Alaska and most convicted end up in Oregon. I think the case was very solid against KM so doubt he had much bargaining power. Perhaps he was able to negotiate being housed in a prison that would be closer to Utah. I've always sensed the family not seeking vengeance -- as if they know something about him is/was off.

I think about Kristy's daughters often. :(

Thinking of my own father and brothers -- can't imagine KM's father and brother that live with the idea that they were unable to protect her. MOO

Manzanares’ attorneys, in a filing earlier this year, said they had testing done by experts that addressed Manzanares’ mental state at the time of his wife’s death, which they said was a critical element for any resolution.

Attorneys Seek Plea Agreement In Cruise Ship Death Case

• Monday, February 3, 2020 4:59pm

Utah man to plead guilty in wife’s death on Alaska cruise
He’s slated to plead guilty on Friday.

A Utah man beat his wife to death after she told him she wanted a divorce while on a family cruise to Alaska in 2017, according to a plea agreement filed in federal court Monday.

The document states Kenneth Manzanares agrees to plead guilty to second-degree murder in the death of his wife, Kristy Manzanares. A change of plea hearing is scheduled for Friday. Kenneth Manzanares previously pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.

Utah man to plead guilty in wife’s death on Alaska cruise | Juneau Empire

More at link

Utah man to plead guilty in wife’s death on Alaska cruise | Juneau Empire

Feb 3, 2020

Kenneth Manzanares admitted to hitting his wife “once with a closed fist, seeing blood and striking Kristy Manzanares another time, and stated he had no memory after that point,” according to the document.

An autopsy determined Kristy Manzanares was killed by blunt force trauma to her head and face, the document says.

According to the document, on July 25, 2017, the couple began arguing about Kenneth Manzanares’ behavior that evening. Kristy Manzanares said she wanted a divorce and told him to get off the ship when it stopped in Juneau, its next port of call, the document states.

I wonder how many times KM suggested they divorce in response to an argument between the couple first alleged to be celebrating their 20 year anniversary.

It doesn't follow that the defendant, victim and their family would embark on a family cruise if divorce was on the horizon .

I recall defendant was described as being a jerk -- probably taking advantage of his on board drink package and sounds to me that telling him to get off the cruise in Juneau was a threat.

MOO

Recap of the defendant KENNETH MANZANARES Plea Agreement:

First-degree murder under the US judicial system is punishable by death or imprisonment for life.

KM's plea agreement provides for the lesser included crime of Count 1 in the Indictment in the case (i.e., second-degree murder).

The defendant waives his right to appeal his second-degree murder conviction.

KM will have to answer questions about his guilty plea at his hearing and can suffer the consequences (including losing the agreement) if he he makes false statements or gives false answers.

KM is going to have to acknowledge that he killed his wife with his bare hands while his adult and younger daughters were listening to their mother's screams in the adjacent room.

His sentence will be decided by the Judge (term of years of a life sentence).

18 U.S. Code § 1111.Murder

(a) Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. Every murder perpetrated by poison, lying in wait, or any other kind of willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated killing; or committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery; or perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children; or perpetrated from a premeditated design unlawfully and maliciously to effect the death of any human being other than him who is killed, is murder in the first degree.

Any other murder is murder in the second degree.

(b) Within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States,
Whoever is guilty of murder in the first degree shall be punished by death or by imprisonment for life;

Whoever is guilty of murder in the second degree, shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

18 U.S. Code § 1111 - Murder

KENNETH MANZANARES PLEA AGREEMENT

Select snippets including Statutory Penalties, Conditions affecting the Defendant's sentence, Payment of Special Assessment, Acceptance of Responsibility, and Sentencing Recommendations:

upload_2020-2-3_23-13-41.png

upload_2020-2-3_23-14-56.png

upload_2020-2-3_23-16-12.png

upload_2020-2-3_23-18-25.png

upload_2020-2-3_23-19-51.png

KENNETH MANZANARES PLEA AGREEMENT

Select snippets including Statutory Penalties, Conditions affecting the Defendant's sentence, Payment of Special Assessment, Acceptance of Responsibility, and Sentencing Recommendations:

View attachment 229730

View attachment 229731

View attachment 229732

View attachment 229733

View attachment 229734

I'm interested in reading these and thank you for posting them, but the font is far too tiny. Could you post links? Perhaps if I go to the source they will be readable.

ETA ... never mind. I see the links.

Sounds like a pretty good plea deal for him. IMO Any guesses on how many years he will get? Also, I didn’t see any mention of where he will serve his time. Will he stay in Alaska? And if so will he be able to return to Utah on release?
Just a very tragic and senseless ending to a beautiful family and 20 years of marriage.

Sounds like a pretty good plea deal for him. IMO Any guesses on how many years he will get? Also, I didn’t see any mention of where he will serve his time. Will he stay in Alaska? And if so will he be able to return to Utah on release?
Just a very tragic and senseless ending to a beautiful family and 20 years of marriage.

I find the sentencing guidelines for federal cases very difficult to project -- the schedule includes "zones" and then there are points for acceptance of responsibility that earns two downward points (huh?)... The best we can say is that he will either serve a term of years or a life sentence. The Judge has the final say.

There are no federal prisons in Alaska and I remember looking this up earlier. I recall that Alaska appears to sends its convicted federal inmates to a facility in Sheridan, Oregon. MOO

BOP: Map of our Locations

Friday, February 7th:
*Plea Hearing (@ 10:30am PT) - AK - Kristy Manzanares (39) (July 25, 2017 on Alaskan cruise ship) - *Kenneth Ray Manzanares (39), (husband) charged (7/27/17) & indicted (8/17/17) on 1st degree Federal Murder. Plead not guilty on 8/23/17. DA will not seek DP.
Trial date was set for 10/23/17, was delayed on 9/18/17; new trial date is 11/5/18, was delayed to 5/20/19 & delayed to 9/9/19 which was vacated for change of plea. Final pretrial conference hearing @ 8:30am on 9/9 & trial starts at 9am.
6/14/19 Update: A plea deal appears to be in the works from federal prosecutors. According to court documents filed Fri day in U.S. District Court of Alaska, federal prosecutors asked that upcoming deadlines in Manzanares’ case be cancelled.
6/17/19: ORDER GRANTING 102 Unopposed Motion for Modification of Pre-trial Deadlines Filed on Shortened Time as to Manzanares (1). The Pretrial Deadlines set out in 101 Second Amended Case Scheduling Order at paragraphs 1-7 are modified to reflect that those filings are now due on or before August 12, 2019. Maybe NO TRIAL, going for plea deal.

8/5/19 Update: Motion filed Notice of Intent to change plea. Want scheduled for Nov. 21. 11/21/19: Plea hearing has been rescheduled for 1/21/20 to allow the government's expert to examine the defendant.
12/31/19 Update: Order resetting hearing for Manzanares. Due to judicial trial conflicts, the Proposed Change of Plea Hearing set for 1/21/20 at 1:00 PM is vacated & reset for 2/5/2020 at 11:30am. 2/1/20: Due to scheduling conflicts Change of Plea hearing is set for 2/7/20.

2/4/20 Update: Utah man beat his wife to death after she told him she wanted a divorce while on a family cruise to Alaska in 2017, according to a plea agreement filed in federal court Monday. The document states Manzanares agrees to plead guilty to second-degree murder in the death of his wife, Kristy. A change of plea hearing is scheduled for Friday, 2/7/20. Kenneth Manzanares previously pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. KM's plea agreement provides for the lesser included crime of Count 1 in the Indictment in the case (i.e., second-degree murder). The defendant waives his right to appeal his second-degree murder conviction. KM will have to answer questions about his guilty plea at his hearing and can suffer the consequences (including losing the agreement) if he he makes false statements or gives false answers. KM is going to have to acknowledge that he killed his wife with his bare hands while his adult and younger daughters were listening to their mother's screams in the adjacent room. His sentence will be decided by the Judge (term of years of a life sentence).

Manzanares changes plea in wife's 2017 cruise death

Friday, February 7th, 2020 11:13am

Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - A Utah man pleaded guilty on Friday to second-degree murder in the death of his wife during a cruise to Alaska in 2017.

[..]

As stipulated by Assistant United States Attorney Jack S. Schmidt, the plea agreement is to a charge of murder in the second degree, with no guidelines for sentencing.

The document states that Manzanares hit his wife, saw blood, struck her again repeatedly and recalls having no memory of the event after that.

An autopsy performed by the Alaska State Medical Examiner found that Kristy Manzanares died from blunt force trauma to her head and face.

Manzanares was indicted on Aug. 27, 2017 on a charge of murder in the first degree. He initially pleaded not guilty.

The case will now be submitted to court officers for a pre-sentencing report. Manzaneres' sentencing hearing is set for May 28 and 29.

Manzanares faces up to life in prison, as well as up to five years of supervised release if he gets out of prison.

@Niner

Thanks a bunch Seattle1!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif

Today the Court entered KM's written plea agreement on the record.

The Court had to go through the plea agreement with KM to make sure he understood it. The Judge had to affirm 3 things:

• The defendant who is entering the plea agreement knowingly, intelligently and voluntarily. The Court will go over the plea agreement with the defendant and will ask them a series of questions. The court will tell a defendant what they're agreeing to plead guilty to, what the normal range of sentence is and what charges, if any, the US District Court is dropping or dismissing and what sentence they'll be facing if they enter the plea agreement.
  • The Court will also make sure the defendant is intelligently entering the plea agreement; advise a defendant of what rights they are giving up by entering the plea agreement; explain the defendant is giving up the right to remain silent; giving up the right to be represented by an attorney at trial; defendant gives up the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty, or gives up their right to a jury trial in a felony case. The Judge wants to make sure that the defendant understands that they're giving up those rights.
  • The Judge will also ask the defendant if anybody has made any threats or promises to them that are not in the plea agreement. So, the Judge needs to determine if the plea agreement is voluntarily made.
The case will now be submitted to court officers for a pre-sentencing report, and sentencing hearing is set for May 28 and 29th.

The Federal Sentencing process explained below provides for why two days are set aside for the defendant's sentencing.

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/...iscellaneous/201510_fed-sentencing-basics.pdf

[..]

See pgs 5-7 link above

C. Presentence Report and Objections

After conducting the presentence interview as well as an independent investigation of the offense and the defendant’s background, the probation officer prepares a presentence report (PSR).

The PSR contains not only information about the offense and offender but also the statutory range of punishment and a calculation of the relevant sentencing guidelines (with a corresponding guideline sentencing range), as well as any bases that may exist for imposing a sentence outside of the applicable range.

The defense and prosecution must be provided a copy of the PSR at least 35 days before sentencing and must submit objections (both factual and legal in nature) within 14 days of the sentencing hearing and otherwise may respond to the PSR (e.g., in the form of a sentencing memorandum). The PSR is a confidential document that may not be disclosed to the public and must be filed under seal. Together with a PSR, a probation officer also submits to the court a confidential sentencing recommendation (which, if the court wishes, need not be disclosed to the parties).

The Federal Bureau of Prisons also uses the PSR, in determining the offender’s “classification as an inmate..., choosing an appropriate treatment program, [and] deciding eligibility for various programs.” Additionally, the PSR is used to inform the conditions and methods of supervision of an offender on probation or supervised release.

D. Sentencing Hearing

Although not as formal as trial proceedings, federal sentencing hearings are adversarial proceedings governed by procedural rules contained primarily in Rule 32 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure and Chapter Six of the Guidelines Manual. A district court must allow the defendant and counsel for both parties — and, in appropriate cases, victims — to provide input before a sentence is imposed. Furthermore, in the court’s discretion, it may allow the parties to call witnesses and present evidence about disputed facts or other matters (e.g., mitigating or aggravating factors)

Snipped

No one spoke from Kristy Manzanares’ family Friday; a line had been set up by the court for her parents to listen by phone.

Man pleads guilty to killing his wife on cruise to Alaska

Today was not the appropriate day for the family to speak -- instead, they listened to KM answer questions put to him by the court about his guilty plea, and acknowledge that he killed his wife with his bare hands while his adult and younger daughters were listening to their mother's screams in the adjacent room.

KM's decision to enter a 2nd-degree murder plea can not be appealed, and the judge had to qualify the plea deal by KM's responses to his inquiries.

Today was all about moving forward (or not) with the plea deal, and entering KM's 2nd-degree murder plea into the court record.

Similar to state district court cases, the family will have the opportunity to speak before the judge imposes MF's sentence -- currently scheduled for May 28-29.

(I need to look up if minors can make a victim impact statement in court). MOO

20470783_web1_Manzanares-JUE-200209-Guilty_2.jpg

Robert Manzanares, 42, appears in U.S. District Court in Juneau Wednesday for a change of plea hearing. A barrier put in place in the public courtroom hallway blocked Manzanares from public view, per the judge’s orders. Photography is not allowed in the courtroom. (Michael S. Lockett | Juneau Empire)

Man pleads guilty to murdering wife on cruise ship | Juneau Empire

Today was not the appropriate day for the family to speak -- instead, they listened to KM answer questions put to him by the court about his guilty plea, and acknowledge that he killed his wife with his bare hands while his adult and younger daughters were listening to their mother's screams in the adjacent room.

KM's decision to enter a 2nd-degree murder plea can not be appealed, and the judge had to qualify the plea deal by KM's responses to his inquiries.

Today was all about moving forward (or not) with the plea deal, and entering KM's 2nd-degree murder plea into the court record.

Similar to state district court cases, the family will have the opportunity to speak before the judge imposes MF's sentence -- currently scheduled for May 28-29.

(I need to look up if minors can make a victim impact statement in court). MOO
U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Burgess set sentencing for late May. Under the agreement, Manzanares waived the right to appeal his conviction but reserved the right to appeal the “reasonableness” of an eventual sentence.
St. George man pleads guilty to killing his wife on cruise to Alaska
Interesting he can’t appeal his plea but he can appeal his sentence. Ugh there’s always a fine print.
Heavy heart for the family today. That must have all been so difficult for them to have to hear all over again.

U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Burgess set sentencing for late May. Under the agreement, Manzanares waived the right to appeal his conviction but reserved the right to appeal the “reasonableness” of an eventual sentence.
St. George man pleads guilty to killing his wife on cruise to Alaska
Interesting he can’t appeal his plea but he can appeal his sentence. Ugh there’s always a fine print.
Heavy heart for the family today. That must have all been so difficult for them to have to hear all over again.

KM obviously does not want to be sentenced to life in prison and I'm sure his basis for pushing for the lesser 2nd-degree murder and no trial. I will be disappointed if he is not sentenced to at least 50 years and if he's released at age 92 then so be it. MOO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back