GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Husband Pleads Guilty to Beating Wife Kristy Manzanares to Death on Cruise After Argument

2/7/2020

Of the brutal crime scene, federal court documents obtained by PEOPLE state, “Blood was spread throughout the room on multiple surfaces,” with Kenneth also covered in blood.”

“He had been acting terrible all night,” the source claimed, adding that at some point that evening, Kristy asked for a divorce. At that point, Kenneth allegedly “snapped” and killed her, a source told PEOPLE.

RELATED: PEOPLE Explains: Case of Utah Mom Allegedly Murdered by Husband on Alaska-Bound Cruise

She and Kenneth, high school sweethearts, had been celebrating their wedding anniversary with their daughters and extended family on a week-long Princess Cruises voyage from Seattle to Alaska.

Kristy’s cousin Kasey Hunt told PEOPLE that she “had a glow to her, and filled a room with life,” adding, “She was so damn nice to everyone, she was amazing.”

Seems the adult daughter tweeted she was watching the news last night when news featured her parents.

Hashtags: #uncomfortable... #makesmesad
I saw that this AM on her Twitter feed. While I understand her anger completely, this is a newsworthy event and there will be media involvement. Not sure what report she was watching, but guessing it was something local where you'd expect more coverage of the case. Unfortunately not much you can do other than turn it off. Can't even imagine what her and her sisters are going through. :( Interestingly, even before this happened reading through the kids social media feeds, there are multiple references to and pictures of victim KM but virtually nothing with perp Dad unless it was an all-family pic.

My point is it's difficult to believe that the Manzanares' had a completely healthy and happy marriage then on a cruise celebrating their anniversary, perp Dad gets belligerent and KM asks him for a divorce and he responds by brutally beating her to death. That *just happening* doesn't pass the smell test to me. That tells me there was some significant underlying tension and/or abuse prior to this and the combination of him being under the influence of alcohol and being asked to disembark and leave and divorce his wife was the event that caused the time bomb to go off. Just moo.

Only hope from here on out is that perp gets a long sentence and the daughters are able to find some closure and move on to live as normal of lives as they can.

Since I can not access the Federal court site for Alaska - I'll post this until I hear any thing different....

Thursday, May 28th:
*Sentencing Hearing (2 days) (@ am PT) - AK - Kristy Manzanares (39) (July 25, 2017 on Alaskan cruise ship) - *Kenneth Ray Manzanares (39/now 41), (husband) charged (7/27/17) & indicted (8/17/17) on 1st degree Federal Murder. Plead not guilty on 8/23/17. DA will not seek DP.
Trial date was set for 10/23/17, was delayed on 9/18/17; new trial date is 11/5/18, was delayed to 5/20/19 & delayed to 9/9/19 which was vacated for change of plea.
Court info from 6/14/19 thru 2/4/20 reference post #632 here:
AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

2/7/20 Update: Manzanares plead guilty on Friday to second-degree murder in the death of his wife during a cruise to Alaska in 2017. As stipulated by Assistant United States Attorney Jack S. Schmidt, the plea agreement is to a charge of murder in the second degree, with no guidelines for sentencing and waived the right to appeal his conviction but reserved the right to appeal the “reasonableness” of an eventual sentence. The case will now be submitted to court officers for a pre-sentencing report. Manzaneres' sentencing hearing is set for May 28 and 29. Manzanares faces up to life in prison, as well as up to five years of supervised release if he gets out of prison.

U.S. District Court
District of Alaska (Juneau)
CRIMINAL DOCKET FOR CASE #: 1:17-cr-00010-TMB All Defendants

Case title: USA v. Manzanares
Magistrate judge case number: 1:17-mj-00023-LCL

Date Filed: 08/17/2017
Defendant (1)
Kenneth Manzanares

Date Filed # Docket Text

02/03/2020 117
SEALED PLEA AGREEMENT ADDENDUM as to Kenneth Manzanares (Schmidt, Jack) (Entered: 02/03/2020)
Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Timothy M. Burgess:Change of Plea Hearing as to Kenneth Manzanares held 10:45 AM to 11:17 AM on 2/7/2020.Court and Counsel heard re plea agreement, open sentencing, and re defendants waiver of appeal. Defendant sworn, verified name, Age 42, advised of rights, charges and penalties. Defendant entered a plea of Guilty of Lesser Offense to Count 1: 18 U.S.C. section 7(1) and (8) and 1111 (a)&(b). Court accepted plea. Referral for Presentence Investigation. Court reserved acceptance of plea agreement. Court ordered Sentencing Memo due by 4/30/2020; Response is due 05/07/2020. Imposition of Sentence/Evidentiary Hearing set for 5/28/2020 and 05/29/2020 at 09:00 AM in Juneau Courtroom before Timothy M. Burgess. Defendant remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshal. APPEARANCES: Jack S. Schmidt, Frank Russo, AUSA; Jamie McGrady, FPD, Mark A Larranga, CJA, Defendant present, in custody; Matt Jedrosko, USPO; R Joy Stancel, Official Court Reporter. cc USM, USPO

Pursuant to Fed. R. Crim. P. 32(f) within 14 days after receiving the presentence report, the parties must state in writing any objections, including objections to material information, sentencing guideline ranges, and policy statements contained in or omitted from the report. An objecting party must provide a copy of its objections to the opposing party and to the probation officer.

NOTICE: No less than seven (7) days prior to the sentencing date, each party shall file a written sentencing memo pursuant to D.AK 32.1(e)(1) and serve opposing counsel and the probation officer.,(KMC, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 02/07/2020)
TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares: By agreement of the parties the imposition of sentence set for 5/28/2020 and 5/29/2020 are VACATED and RESET for 6/26/2020 at 8:30 a.m. in Juneau Courtroom before Timothy M. Burgess.As previously ordered, the victim's parents may attend telephonically and are directed to call 1-888-278-0296, Access Code 9623794 from a landline telephone five minutes prior to the scheduled start time. Sentencing memorandum due by 6/12/2020, responses due by 6/19/2020. Court will hear Expert testimony on 5/20/2020 at 10:00 a.m. in Juneau Courtroom with 5/21/2020 reserved for any additional testimony if needed. (RMC, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 03/05/2020)
TMB TEXT ORDER RESETTING HEARING as to Kenneth Manzanares. Due to judicial travel conflicts, the Evidentiary Hearing set for 5/20/20 at 10:00 AM is VACATED and RESET for 5/21/20 at 9:00 AM, with 5/22/20 reserved for any additional testimony in Juneau Courtroom before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 03/24/2020)
TMB TEXT ORDER SETTING STATUS CONFERENCE as to Kenneth Manzanares. A Telephonic Status Conference is set for 4/20/2020 at 10:00 AM AKDT before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. The Parties are directed to call 1-888-278-0296, Access Code 9623794 from a landline telephone five minutes prior to the scheduled start time. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 04/16/2020)
MINUTE ENTRY for proceedings held before Judge Timothy M. Burgess: Telephonic Status Conference as to Kenneth Manzanares held 10:04 AM to 10:18 AM on 4/20/2020. Court and counsel heard re upcoming hearing dates and issues due to current COVID-19 pandemic. Court directed parties to confer re alternative solutions for scheduling and logistics of Evidentiary Hearing and Imposition of Sentence. Status Report due by COB 4/27/2020. TELEPHONIC APPEARANCES: Defendant present, in-custody; Jack S. Schmidt, AUSA; Jamie McGrady, FPD; Mark A. Larranaga, CJA; Matthew D. Jedrosko, USPO; R. Joy Stancel, Official Court Reporter. (JDS, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 04/20/2020)
TMB TEXT ORDER RESETTING HEARING as to Kenneth Manzanares. Pursuant to MGO-20-13, and as agreed by the parties, the Evidentiary Hearing set for 5/21 - 5/22/2020 is VACATED and RESET for 7/23 - 24/2020 at 9:00 AM in Juneau Courtroom before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 04/23/2020)

@Niner

@Niner -- the best I can explain is the evidentiary hearing is reset from 5/21-22/2020 to 7/23-24/2020.

The sentencing set for 5/28-29/2020 was previously reset to 6/26/2020 but that will probably be vacated and reset after the 7/23-24 evidentiary hearing.

I think we are waiting on a presentencing report to be presented and time to object to it before actual sentencing imposed.

I'm disappointed. I thought this was a done deal....

Last edited:
Sentence hearing delay in cruise ship murder case

July 22, 2020

The Utah man was scheduled to be in U.S. District Court in Juneau Thursday morning for an evidentiary hearing.

He pled guilty to second-degree murder charges on February 7.

[..]

The FBI was the lead agency in the investigation.

“We at the FBI continue to keep the family and friends of Kristy Manzanares in our thoughts,” said Jeffery Peterson, the Special Agent in Charge of FBI’s Anchorage Field Office. “The full resources of the FBI were apparent in this investigation, led by FBI Anchorage Special Agents in the Juneau Resident Agency and supported by our partners, all of whom worked fiercely to ensure justice on behalf of the victim of this heinous crime.”

Manzanares admitted that he got into a verbal argument with his wife and that she stated she wanted a divorce and told him to disembark the vessel at Juneau so he could travel back home to Utah. Manzares said he told two children in the cabin to leave. A few moments later the children heard Kristy scream and attempted to re-enter the cabin. They observed Manzanares straddling the victim on the floor, striking her in the head with closed fists.

Authorities said the victim died from blunt force trauma.

U.S. District Court

Defendant (1)
Kenneth Manzanares

Date Filed # Docket Text

06/15/2020#125
DRAFT PRESENTENCE INVESTIGATION REPORT (Sealed) as to Kenneth Manzanares. Objections to the Draft Presentence Report are due to the Probation Officer and opposing counsel by June 29, 2020. Counsel should not rely on this draft for sentencing purposes. (Jedrosko, Matt) (Entered: 06/15/2020)

06/18/2020 #126
TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares. As agreed by the parties, the Sentencing Hearing set for June 26, 2020 at 8:30 AM is VACATED. The parties are directed to confer and file a joint status report indicating three proposed dates for sentencing acceptable to all parties on or before June 29, 2020. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 06/18/2020)

06/25/2020 #127
TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares. As agreed by the parties, the video Evidentiary Hearing is set for July 23 - 24, 2020 beginning at 9:00 AM. The location is Virtual Courtroom 1 before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. Counsel will receive instructions for accessing the Virtual Courtroom via separate sealed docket entry. The Public may attend via the listen-only line and are directed to check the Court website for any updated connection information at Virtual Courtrooms | District of Alaska | United States District Court. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 06/25/2020)

06/25/2020 #128
SEALED (Virtual Courtroom 1 Quick Guide) re 127 Order as to Kenneth Manzanares. (JDS, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 06/25/2020)

06/29/2020 #129
UNOPPOSED MOTION to Continue Evidentiary Hearing by Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(McGrady, Jamie) (Entered: 06/29/2020)

07/09/2020 #131
TMB TEXT ORDER GRANTING Defendant's 129 Motion to Continue Evidentiary Hearing. The evidentiary hearing set for July 23, 2020 and July 24, 2020 is VACATED. The parties are HEREBY ORDERED to submit a joint status report identifying three dates when counsel and witnesses will be available. (JDS, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 07/09/2020)

@Niner - it looks like the parties still have not given the Court three dates in September to continue the evidentiary hearing previously scheduled for July 23, 24 so we wait.

I don't know where the Sept 11, 2020 sentencing date via MSM came from since it's not in the court record????

Also, I never noticed before but entry #127 indicates the public may attend the evidentiary hearing (listen in). Hmmmm...

Last edited:
Delay is disappointing however doesn't change the fact that the guy is guilty as hell and will be going to prison for a very long time. Would rather LE takes it's time and does it right to give him zero wiggle room legally.

Based on things I've read, I do legitimately believe he feels remorse and feels bad for what he has done. Too often, we see criminals who try to justify their actions but he seems like he at least has some regret over the actions.

That said, I have zero sympathy for him because he brutally murdered a beautiful mother to his children so he should rot in jail but there are too few killers that have no remorse for anything.

Delay is disappointing however doesn't change the fact that the guy is guilty as hell and will be going to prison for a very long time. Would rather LE takes it's time and does it right to give him zero wiggle room legally.

Based on things I've read, I do legitimately believe he feels remorse and feels bad for what he has done. Too often, we see criminals who try to justify their actions but he seems like he at least has some regret over the actions.

That said, I have zero sympathy for him because he brutally murdered a beautiful mother to his children so he should rot in jail but there are too few killers that have no remorse for anything.

The couple and their families reportedly had known each other for years. I don't know if there were previous incidents of domestic violence but I do think that KM could be a person prone to violence if consuming alcohol. He killed his wife with his bare hands. Actually, it sounds like a psychotic episode.

I just can't imagine the horror the immediate family had to have experienced on the cruise ship when this happened. I doubt KM's dad and her brother will ever be able to overcome that their daughter and sister died by the husband's hands and they could not protect her.

I also think the husband feels remorse, and also feel her family has forgiven him.
I'm glad the girls seem to have intact maternal and paternal families for support and to have their needs met. MOO

Will post this until I hear from @Seattle1 - to see if this is happening today.

Friday, Sept. 11th:
*Evidentiary & Sentencing Hearing (2 days) (@ 9am AKST) - AK - Kristy Manzanares (39) (July 25, 2017 on Alaskan cruise ship) - *Kenneth Ray Manzanares (39/now 42), (husband) charged (7/27/17) & indicted (8/17/17) on 1st degree Federal Murder. Plead not guilty on 8/23/17. DA will not seek DP.
Trial date was set for 10/23/17, was delayed on 9/18/17; new trial date is 11/5/18, was delayed to 5/20/19 & delayed to 9/9/19 which was vacated for change of plea.
AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

2/7/20 Update: Manzanares plead guilty on Friday to second-degree murder in the death of his wife during a cruise to Alaska in 2017. As stipulated by Assistant United States Attorney Jack S. Schmidt, the plea agreement is to a charge of murder in the second degree, with no guidelines for sentencing and waived the right to appeal his conviction but reserved the right to appeal the “reasonableness” of an eventual sentence. The case will now be submitted to court officers for a pre-sentencing report. Manzaneres' sentencing hearing is set for May 28 and 29. Manzanares faces up to life in prison, as well as up to five years of supervised release if he gets out of prison.
3/5/20 Update: Evidentiary & Sentencing hearing for 5/28 & 5/29 have been rescheduled for 7/23 & 7/24/20. 7/23/20 Update: Sentencing has been delayed until 9/11/20.

Will post this until I hear from @Seattle1 - to see if this is happening today.

Friday, Sept. 11th:
*Evidentiary & Sentencing Hearing (2 days) (@ 9am AKST) - AK - Kristy Manzanares (39) (July 25, 2017 on Alaskan cruise ship) - *Kenneth Ray Manzanares (39/now 42), (husband) charged (7/27/17) & indicted (8/17/17) on 1st degree Federal Murder. Plead not guilty on 8/23/17. DA will not seek DP.

3/5/20 Update: Evidentiary & Sentencing hearing for 5/28 & 5/29 have been rescheduled for 7/23 & 7/24/20. 7/23/20 Update: Sentencing has been delayed until 9/11/20.

Hi @Niner -- the Sept 11 date is bogus. This date was never on the docket and only appeared by random MSM.

The last sentencing date of June 26 was vacated, and went back to Evidentiary Hearings July 23-24, vacated; Order to submit joint status report on or before Aug 14 identifying three agreed dates when counsel and witnesses are available for continued video Evidentiary Hearing.

The rescheduled video Evidentiary Hearing is set for October 8, 2020 at 8:30 AM, and continuing as necessary on October 9, 2020 at 12:30 PM in Virtual Courtroom 5 before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 08/17/2020)

The above being the last docket entry #136, entered on Aug 17, 2020.

Last edited:
U.S. District Court

Defendant (1)
Kenneth Manzanares

Date Filed # Docket Text

06/15/2020#125
DRAFT PRESENTENCE INVESTIGATION REPORT (Sealed) as to Kenneth Manzanares. Objections to the Draft Presentence Report are due to the Probation Officer and opposing counsel by June 29, 2020. Counsel should not rely on this draft for sentencing purposes. (Jedrosko, Matt) (Entered: 06/15/2020)

06/18/2020 #126
TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares. As agreed by the parties, the Sentencing Hearing set for June 26, 2020 at 8:30 AM is VACATED. The parties are directed to confer and file a joint status report indicating three proposed dates for sentencing acceptable to all parties on or before June 29, 2020. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 06/18/2020)

06/25/2020 #127
TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares. As agreed by the parties, the video Evidentiary Hearing is set for July 23 - 24, 2020 beginning at 9:00 AM. The location is Virtual Courtroom 1 before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. Counsel will receive instructions for accessing the Virtual Courtroom via separate sealed docket entry. The Public may attend via the listen-only line and are directed to check the Court website for any updated connection information at Virtual Courtrooms | District of Alaska | United States District Court. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 06/25/2020)

06/25/2020 #128
SEALED (Virtual Courtroom 1 Quick Guide) re 127 Order as to Kenneth Manzanares. (JDS, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 06/25/2020)

06/29/2020 #129
UNOPPOSED MOTION to Continue Evidentiary Hearing by Kenneth Manzanares. (Attachments: # 1 Proposed Order)(McGrady, Jamie) (Entered: 06/29/2020)

07/09/2020 #131
TMB TEXT ORDER GRANTING Defendant's 129 Motion to Continue Evidentiary Hearing. The evidentiary hearing set for July 23, 2020 and July 24, 2020 is VACATED. The parties are HEREBY ORDERED to submit a joint status report identifying three dates when counsel and witnesses will be available. (JDS, COURT STAFF) (Entered: 07/09/2020)

Sealed Docket Entry #130

Sealed Docket Entry #132

Sealed Docket Entry #133

08/07/2020 #134
TMB TEXT ORDER as to Kenneth Manzanares. The parties are directed to submit a Joint Status Report on or before August 14, 2020 identifying three agreed dates when counsel and witnesses will be available for the continued video Evidentiary Hearing. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 08/07/2020)

08/07/2020 #135
STATUS REPORT (Joint) by Kenneth Manzanares (McGrady, Jamie) (Entered:
08/07/2020)

08/17/2020 #136
TMB TEXT ORDER SETTING HEARING as to Kenneth Manzanares. The
rescheduled video Evidentiary Hearing is set for October 8, 2020 at 8:30 AM and continuing as necessary on October 9, 2020 at 12:30 PM in Virtual Courtroom 5 before Judge Timothy M. Burgess. (NMG, CHAMBERS STAFF) (Entered: 08/17/2020)

Thanks a bunch for the corrections! I shall change my notes! :)

Talk about dragging out a case. The guy murdered his wife, already.

I had to do some research about sentencing in federal court to understand the delay as I did not get how the case was slated for sentencing in July, and now I'm reading about evidentiary hearings. :eek:

We know that part of the defendant's plea agreement included that KM foregoes his right to appeal. We also know that he entered the agreement without knowing the specific terms of his sentence as it will be imposed by the court (unlike state district courts with max penalties set by state statutes).

It seems prior to the late 80's, sentencing in federal court jurisdiction was very unpredictable as judges reportedly had unlimited discretion. (The penalty guidelines are still not very clear, IMO).

From the best that I can tell, the defense likely motioned for an evidentiary hearing where the judge is now hearing from witnesses -- this after the defendant entered a guilty plea.

I can see two things happening during these hearings. Some wanting leniency for the husband, and others challenging the testimony of witnesses. I can't imagine the difficulty for both families that no doubt are thinking of the welfare of the children.

It seems KM had no prior record before killing his wife with his bare hands. -- Not that he's the first as I can think of several murderers that were reportedly good guys until they were no longer!

https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/...iscellaneous/201811_fed-sentencing-basics.pdf

Before the federal sentencing guidelines went into effect on November 1, 1987, federal judges imposed “indeterminate” sentences with virtually unlimited discretion within broad statutory ranges of punishment, and the United States Parole Commission would thereafter decide when offenders were actually released from prison on parole.2 [...]

As found by members of Congress who enacted the SRA: “[E]ach judge [was] left to apply his own notions of the purposes of sentencing. . . . As a result, every day federal judges mete[d] out an unjustifiably wide range of sentences to offenders with similar histories, convicted of similar crimes, committed under similar circumstances.”4

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back