AK AK - Mary Dawn Wilson, 69 - 2-YO Grandchild Found Locked in Abandoned Car, Healy, 12 July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I dont think a grizzly was involved in her death.
That comment was meant as a joke. I would have thought that that would be obvious, but I guess not. Also, it was in reference to the comment about the large number of people who were missing in Alaska, not MDW in particular.

Last edited:
What on earth could cause a grandma to leave behind a two year old grandchild in her locked car while leaving herself after the car got stuck?
I agree. I just can't see her doing that unless she thought there were homes nearby, or unless she was forced to leave the child. Police say she walked in the opposite direction of the highway, which leads me to believe they found her footprints. The area is remote, my first thought is grizzly, but others on here are saying it wouldn't be a grizzly. I don't understand why they are saying that though? It is Alaska, and the area she parked the car and then walked is remote? Why wouldn't she come back to the car, unless she couldn't? Grizzly, nefarious person, something else? Thank the Lord the baby was found, oh my gosh.

I agree. I just can't see her doing that unless she thought there were homes nearby, or unless she was forced to leave the child. Police say she walked in the opposite direction of the highway, which leads me to believe they found her footprints. The area is remote, my first thought is grizzly, but others on here are saying it wouldn't be a grizzly. I don't understand why they are saying that though? It is Alaska, and the area she parked the car and then walked is remote? Why wouldn't she come back to the car, unless she couldn't? Grizzly, nefarious person, something else? Thank the Lord the baby was found, oh my gosh.
I try to think about what I might have done in her position. If the wheels of my car were stuck, the first thing that I would do would be to look for something that I could put underneath them in order to get traction—something like a flat piece of wood or even a large flat rock. That might have been what she was doing; she might have wandered too far off the road and gotten lost.

She may also have been mixed up regarding which way the highway lay.

If the wheels of my car were stuck, the first thing that I would do would be to look for something that I could put underneath them in order to get traction—something like a flat piece of wood or even a large flat rock.

It’s in the first articles back on first few pages of the thread, but LE stated there was evidence she had tried to get the car unstuck, not sure what that meant exactly but they believed she had tried to get it unstuck for some time and then took off to look for help. I think that second part was speculation on their part, but maybe there was something to indicate it on scene.

It’s in the first articles back on first few pages of the thread, but LE stated there was evidence she had tried to get the car unstuck, not sure what that meant exactly but they believed she had tried to get it unstuck for some time and then took off to look for help. I think that second part was speculation on their part, but maybe there was something to indicate it on scene.
Most people would go back and forth between forward and reverse for a while trying to get the car unstuck. That would be fairly obvious.

Jamming something large enough and solid enough under the tires would be the next step.

was the car stuck on the sholder of the road or is that road in bad shape in general? I can understand being stuck in the snow but on a road which is travelled quite regularly?
Good question, I don't know.

was the car stuck on the sholder of the road or is that road in bad shape in general? I can understand being stuck in the snow but on a road which is travelled quite regularly?
Stampede Rd is a road outside of Healey that becomes a deadend trail of the same name. Depending on the type of vehicle driven, you can travel the road safely for some distance after it becomes dirt.

Mary's car got stuck where the road becomes dirt so technically, on Stampede Trail, according to my understanding. Once her Ford Focus left pavement she & the child were quickly stranded.

Mary was an Alaskan who had raised and traveled with sled dogs. Why she ended up where she did is so odd because IMO she knew the dangers of wilderness, which she drove into.

I really think something happened to her medically. A good search effort for her was conducted by LE. Unfortunately, due to the terrain & time lapse between getting stuck & the search, she is likely to not be recovered unless her remains are stumbled upon by a hiker or hunter.

In AK, that is the reality of getting lost in the wilderness.

Down here in the urban lower 48, we can't imagine that being an acceptable outcome. But when a search area poses risks to searchers in remote & harsh environments, that is frequently the judgment call made. Living & traveling in unforgiving terrain comes with many risks to life and limb, including the possibility of not being found.

Should more effort be made to find her? IMO, yes. Will more effort be made? IMO, no. Winter is coming soon & she is unlikely to be recovered before then.

MOO

Last edited:
Wilson was last seen at a home near Healy Tuesday morning where she had reportedly stayed overnight with friends, according to a missing persons bulletin. Have any of those friends spoken out at all?
Not to my knowledge. But LE spoke to them & has not indicated in MSM at least that they are suspected of anything related to her disappearance.

Where was she intending to go & why? Did she fall prey to some nefarious person(s) known or unknown to her?

LE may know the answers or have clues but they have not made those public as far as I know.

It is frustrating. Sad. Tragic.
JMO

Stampede Rd is a road outside of Healey that becomes a deadend trail of the same name. Depending on the type of vehicle driven, you can travel the road safely for some distance after it becomes dirt.

Mary's car got stuck where the road becomes dirt so technically, on Stampede Trail, according to my understanding. Once her Ford Focus left pavement she & the child were quickly stranded.

Mary was an Alaskan who had raised and traveled with sled dogs. Why she ended up where she did is so odd because IMO she knew the dangers of wilderness, which she drove into.

I really think something happened to her medically. A good search effort for her was conducted by LE. Unfortunately, due to the terrain & time lapse between getting stuck & the search, she is likely to not be recovered unless her remains are stumbled upon by a hiker or hunter.

In AK, that is the reality of getting lost in the wilderness.

Down here in the urban lower 48, we can't imagine that being an acceptable outcome. But when a search area poses risks to searchers in remote & harsh environments, that is frequently the judgment call made. Living & traveling in unforgiving terrain comes with many risks to life and limb, including the possibility of not being found.

Should more effort be made to find her? IMO, yes. Will more effort be made? IMO, no. Winter is coming soon & she is unlikely to be recovered before then.

MOO
Well stated.

I'm in Healy now and drove the Stampede Road to Mile 6.8 and a little beyond. The road in the area is dirt but in very good condition. I took photos of the area and will post when I get some free time. Would be difficult to find someone given the terrain off the road. Hard to comprehend why she would have gone in the wrong direction and hard to understand why no one saw that vehicle until 2 days later. Lots of traffic now given its hunting season but there surely should have been some activity there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet
Back