AK AK - Mary Dawn Wilson, 69 - 2-YO Grandchild Found Locked in Abandoned Car, Healy, 12 July 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was able to get to adding a few photos sooner than expected. One is just beyond the 7 mile mark where all the hunter vehicles are parked. She would have walked off in this direction. Vehicles would not have been there at that time.

Attachments

• Alaska September 2022 212.jpg
    Alaska September 2022 212.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Alaska September 2022 213.jpg
    Alaska September 2022 213.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 65
Was able to get to adding a few photos sooner than expected. One is just beyond the 7 mile mark where all the hunter vehicles are parked. She would have walked off in this direction. Vehicles would not have been there at that time.

So the road turns into foot trail beyond where the hunters were parked?

Just throwing things out there, but maybe she was planning to meet someone at the parking area? It's really baffling.

So the road turns into foot trail beyond where the hunters were parked?

Just throwing things out there, but maybe she was planning to meet someone at the parking area? It's really baffling.
I do not know what the area is like beyond where the vehicles are parked. I did not drive beyond the point where I took the photo. Could be a trail, could be a two track, etc. I really don't know but from the reports Mary did venture about a mile in that direction.

Thank you for these, the foliage is beautiful this time of year!

What is beyond the area where the vehicles are parked? Brush, trees, river, steep?

ETA, I saw your response @ComfortablyNumbb, after I posted the above.

Thank you for these, the foliage is beautiful this time of year!

What is beyond the area where the vehicles are parked? Brush, trees, river, steep?

ETA, I saw your response @ComfortablyNumbb, after I posted the above.
My best guess is that it's a foot type trail rather than the good condition road leading up to it. I think the parking area is most likely 'the end of the road'.

i saw this on facebook
7/31/22
Clara Fields
"Mary Wilson rented a cabin on Cripple Creek from me .
She was a sweet lady , did not have any trouble from her. . I pray everyday she is found.
Her daughter came out my property and took my boat from my property. I am sad about Mary missing , however I want the boat back, no questions ask . . If it's not returned there will be conquinces for thier actions.
If anyone knows ,any information, where it helps the troopers, there is a reward for the return for the boat.
Shot me, a tip, or call Troopers @ 907 451-5100"
264 comments on the Alaska State Troopers Facebook page since in mid July. It's good to see the interest in finding Mary!

It is winter now so additional searching will be limited or impossible.

May she rest in the embrace of The Last Frontier until hopefully someone comes across her remains & can resolve this sad mystery.

Your memory lives on, dear lady.

264 comments on the Alaska State Troopers Facebook page since in mid July. It's good to see the interest in finding Mary!

It is winter now so additional searching will be limited or impossible.

May she rest in the embrace of The Last Frontier until hopefully someone comes across her remains & can resolve this sad mystery.

Your memory lives on, dear lady.
Yes it will be winter soon but there hasn't been any further search efforts even when the weather has been favorable. Unfortunately AST doesn't care about this case and Mary will most likely never be found. Just so odd to me that so little details have been released. I feel there is more to this than Mary just walking off into the wilderness.

Yes it will be winter soon but there hasn't been any further search efforts even when the weather has been favorable. Unfortunately AST doesn't care about this case and Mary will most likely never be found. Just so odd to me that so little details have been released. I feel there is more to this than Mary just walking off into the wilderness.
I agree. Something was off from the very beginning.

I agree. Something was off from the very beginning.
Yes I agree too. From the very start we have been given very little detail about Mary's movements prior to her disappearance. I understand it may be due to confidentiality or privacy reasons and that is fair. But why is no one advocating for her? I find it all very strange.

A few weeks ago when I was out in the area where her car was supposedly stuck I looked for obvious ruts, holes, damage to the brush by the side of the road, signs of a car going off the road damage, etc. I didn't see anything like that. Seeing the area just makes it harder for me to understand what could have happened.

A few weeks ago when I was out in the area where her car was supposedly stuck I looked for obvious ruts, holes, damage to the brush by the side of the road, signs of a car going off the road damage, etc. I didn't see anything like that. Seeing the area just makes it harder for me to understand what could have happened.
Why would LE lie about the car being stuck in mud and that there was evidence she attempted to free the car? They had to guesstimate how long the car had been there based on the child's condition, apparently. Perhaps the timeline is imperfect?

If it was a setup (carjacking, abduction or ???), someone would have had to distribute her clothing on the trail in the direction of wilderness. We don't know what items of clothing were found but I think they surmised hypothermia based on the clothing. I believe the evidence was a mile away from her car.

After she left her friend's house in Healey, do they have video evidence she was driving her car alone with the child?

Did the person who found the child locked in the car on the trail & called LE check out as not being involved? Apparently no one noticed/reported her abandoned vehicle with a child inside for at least 48 hours? Is that plausible in mid-July? When you were there, lots of cars were in the parking area. Maybe the child's diaper was not changed by some perp who had very recently abandoned the vehicle after "disappearing" Mary, risking the child's health but not the child's life because they assumed someone would notice soon & involve LE?

Maybe the father of the child is involved in Mary's disappearance based on a custody dispute or child care disagreement? Why abandon the child if so?

Did Mary have any medical conditions that could lead her to be disoriented & traveling there randomly then wandering off away from potential help?

This would be less haunting if Mary's body or remains were found but questions of whether a criminal event occurred would remain.

Hopefully, LE did apparently close the case only 1) On an assumption of hypothermia & 2) Without an appropriately thorough search for her. My understanding from media reports is that a serious effort was made to locate Mary in the wilderness.

While it is possible to infer a nefarious actor due to the odd-seeming circumstances, I think LE must have a legal basis for closing the case after their investigation.

What more should LE do? We don't know everything they know so we are left with more questions than answers.

Even with all my questions, I tend to think this is not a criminal case. I know others vigorously disagree & I respect their viewpoints.
JMO

Why would LE lie about the car being stuck in mud and that there was evidence she attempted to free the car? They had to guesstimate how long the car had been there based on the child's condition, apparently. Perhaps the timeline is imperfect?

If it was a setup (carjacking, abduction or ???), someone would have had to distribute her clothing on the trail in the direction of wilderness. We don't know what items of clothing were found but I think they surmised hypothermia based on the clothing. I believe the evidence was a mile away from her car.

After she left her friend's house in Healey, do they have video evidence she was driving her car alone with the child?

Did the person who found the child locked in the car on the trail & called LE check out as not being involved? Apparently no one noticed/reported her abandoned vehicle with a child inside for at least 48 hours? Is that plausible in mid-July? When you were there, lots of cars were in the parking area. Maybe the child's diaper was not changed by some perp who had very recently abandoned the vehicle after "disappearing" Mary, risking the child's health but not the child's life because they assumed someone would notice soon & involve LE?

Maybe the father of the child is involved in Mary's disappearance based on a custody dispute or child care disagreement? Why abandon the child if so?

Did Mary have any medical conditions that could lead her to be disoriented & traveling there randomly then wandering off away from potential help?

This would be less haunting if Mary's body or remains were found but questions of whether a criminal event occurred would remain.

Hopefully, LE did apparently close the case only 1) On an assumption of hypothermia & 2) Without an appropriately thorough search for her. My understanding from media reports is that a serious effort was made to locate Mary in the wilderness.

While it is possible to infer a nefarious actor due to the odd-seeming circumstances, I think LE must have a legal basis for closing the case after their investigation.

What more should LE do? We don't know everything they know so we are left with more questions than answers.

Even with all my questions, I tend to think this is not a criminal case. I know others vigorously disagree & I respect their viewpoints.
JMO
I'm not suggesting that LE lied about her car being stuck. Just reporting what I saw out there. Also not saying it was criminal in nature either.

You have lots of good questions. I'd love to see answers to any or all of them but that doesn't seem like its going to happen.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mention before but here are the temperatures in Healy on July 12, 13, 14, and 15. Mary's vehicle was reported to have been stuck on 7/12. I believe the car was reported to AST at 1:30am on 7/15? The car would have gotten pretty warm in 70° degree temps given the windows were all up. Fortunate the baby was found in good condition.Screenshot_20221005-154806_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaoskap