AK - Samantha Koenig, 18, Anchorage, 1 Feb 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
-Where was the panic button located inside the shack?

-How long did it normally take to "close up"?

-Did Samantha follow a routine for leaving/getting picked-up?

-Did she text alot?

-Why did it take so very long for her to be reported missing?

I think if there had been a lot of activity, i.e. struggling, fighting, etc. the person in the vehicle nearby would have noticed. But I also don't get the person who saw a girl in a chokehold not calling 911...would they wait until they saw someone killed to call? JMO

I know! Omg I wanna get in her face & tell her a lil sumpin' bout herself! Sadly, so many in soceity are like this now. Guns are so readily available and drugs are huge. Somebody on pcp or meth is completely unpredictable. Right now bath salts have hijacked our country and it totally whacks people out. They get extremely paranoid and very angry, their strength is astronomical.

http://www.adn.com/2012/02/10/2311073/police-talk-to-potential-witnesses.html
Police talk to potential witnesses in missing barista case
MISSING: Organizers expect 1,000 at Town Square Park.
By CASEY GROVE
Anchorage Daily News
Published: February 11th, 2012 12:10 PM
Last Modified: February 11th, 2012 12:11 PM

Snipped:
Detectives continue to interview potential witnesses and follow leads in the abduction of 18-year-old Samantha Koenig, police say.

"They interviewed a bunch last night," police spokesman Lt. Dave Parker said Friday. A lieutenant overseeing the investigation seemed "encouraged" Friday, Parker said. The detectives had not released any further information on the case, he said.

If I play Devil's Advocate & go against the fact that I do believe the video should be shown BUT edited to show stills of the peep only...well quite frankly playing Devil's Advocate makes me wonder if the reason they're holding the tape close ro the vest is bc the believe Samantha's already incapacitated, therefore they'd definitely need the tape for good evidence. I can't seriously see it having anything to do with tainting a jury pool. Really? So I guess my wonder is if Sanantha was already harmed & part of it was caught on tape. If they knew who it was, or even suspected who it was, wouldn't they have been brought in for questioning?

I know le does things for a reason & I respect them highly, especially my family & friends le, but OPD has jaded my stance. The original investigators & le muffed up Jenn Kesse's case. So that's why I honestly think something from the surveillance, like a still of the poi, should be put out to the public. I mean afterall, Tyler & Michelle Duncan saw it already and called police. Did their other employees see it as well?

I have to wonder if maybe le thinks the perp could be linked to other crimes as well, so the sanctity of this tape would need to be protected in order to use it in court as evidence. Maybe? Idk, just guessing...

Allow me to throw this in the pot: If anything in the video indicated the demise of our missing girl, I don't think the coffee shop owners, the Duncans, would play along in a search for a girl that was no longer with us. They saw the video first.

Showing the stills of the video won't divulge the most telling of information: gait, stride, any trait mannerisms.

And hear me clear: don't allow anything I post to get in your way of hammering away at this. Please.

A person using the monicker "orange girl" on ADN made a comment that I think might make people think another way. I won't post it word for word, but it went something like this:

What's the first thing police do when a bank or deli is robbed and they have the poi on video committing the crime?

Respectfully, please think about this. It's been too long that Samantha's been gone. There have been so many cases we've all complained about if info were released sooner, most especially if it can prevent another innocent person from being harmed.

Allow me to throw this in the pot: If anything in the video indicated the demise of our missing girl, I don't think the coffee shop owners, the Duncans, would play along in a search for a girl that was no longer with us. They saw the video first.

Showing the stills of the video won't divulge the most telling of information: gait, stride, any trait mannerisms.

And hear me clear: don't allow anything I post to get in your way of hammering away at this. Please.

I agree with everything you've said. I firmly believe the video shb released right away. I just keep speculating bc this case needs more discussion, more attention. With differentiating scenarios being played with, more people will be drawn in I think. Even though it seems like forever to her father from when she went missing, it's still close enough that it could be remembered in people's minds. Like maybe something would spark somebody's memory from that night or days after. IMO the police holding the video isn't the right decision by a long shot. Sure Samantha's dad doesn't want vigilantism, ok so... The entire world just watched a freakazoid perve blow up himself & his kids after he chopped at them with an ax. Surely people can handle an 18 y/o girl being kidnapped without going out & harming her perp.

He doesn't want vigilantism - could he be referring to a larger scale, as in gangs like somebody else here mentioned?

I wonder if the video show Samantha clearing out the till, or the perp?

Why didn't the lack of $$$ alarm the people opening up the next day? That is strange.

Did I miss this? There is a witness to the kidnapping?

Is this semantics, or is there actually a police videotape also? Are there LE streetcams in Anchorage?:waitasec:
http://articles.ktuu.com/2012-02-11/candlelight-vigil_31051212

http://g.co/maps/mbuhb
Back up the view then you can 360 or google walk. I realize it looks a lot different right now with all the snow. But this gives you an idea of what's around the area.

I see cameras, cameras everywhere. The Alaska Club, the dealership and who knows what others along the path they traveled. I hope LE has gathered or went to business' and asked to view footage in a large radius surrounding Tudor. They have a pretty concise timeline, it wouldn't take long to view. Hoping against the odds that there is footage of a vehicle (s) which could be a potential clue.

I wonder if the video show Samantha clearing out the till, or the perp?

Why didn't the lack of $$$ alarm the people opening up the next day? That is strange.

Might be common habit for the last person on shift to empty the till then make a nightly deposit through a bank ATM.

http://g.co/maps/mbuhb

I see cameras, cameras everywhere. The Alaska Club, the dealership and who knows what others along the path they traveled. I hope LE has gathered or went to business' and asked to view footage in a large radius surrounding Tudor. They have a pretty concise timeline, it wouldn't take long to view. Hoping against the odds that there is footage of a vehicle (s) which could be a potential clue.

Thnks Knox! Now see, with all of these cameras they HAVE to have a good description! What's their reasoning for not releasing ANY of the tapes?

Could he be connected to other crimes?

Could APD be keeping it close bc they feel releasing videos will put her in harms way?

So, I am trying to catch up on this entire thread.

It seems that the perp "approached the hut" and given the reaction of Samantha, must have had a weapon.

The perp also "left the hut" with Samantha, so he approached the hut, and forced his way in, in order to then leave. Why??? He could have gotten the money from her at the window.

There are definitely multiple videos.

In an interview Tuesday, police said the alarmed reaction by Samantha Koenig, 18, to a man who approached the Midtown coffee hut where she was working indicates the abductor was carrying a weapon. Police continued to reveal little else about a video or collection of videos that captured the apparent abduction.

Authorities have refused to make the clips or still photos from them public, saying doing so would compromise the investigation and would not reveal enough to help people identify the abductor.

http://www.adn.com/2012/02/07/2305513/fbi-assists-search-for-abducted.html

Might be common habit for the last person on shift to empty the till then make a nightly deposit through a bank ATM.

There should have been some money to start the next day. Of course, she may have placed the startup money out of sight.

Looking for pictures for you Wondergirl. The snow was piled up pretty high in that area, it's easy to understand why someone may not have seen them leaving Common Grounds that night.

Pic gallery at link-
http://www.adn.com/2012/02/06/23034...ista-samantha.html#id=2303480&view=large_view

5kn615.jpg

I guess "what he does" on the tape is crucial to any court case, more than "who does it" since they are so insistent there is no way to recognize him. But I still do not understand worrying about jury selection when there is a missing, kidnapped young woman. It just sounds so backwards.

There should have been some money to start the next day. Of course, she may have placed the startup money out of sight.

Darn it! I read an article today that said the "change money" was not there the next morning....and it bothered me b/c all along the owners of Common Grounds said that there was nothing to indicate anything had happened to her until they were notified she was missing and looked at the video tape later in the morning. To me, money missing that should have been there for whoever opened the next day should have bothered someone. Not that it would indicate to them that she was kidnapped, but missing cash is usually an issue for a business. Whyyyy did I not post it here? I will attempt to find it again.

ETA I wish more things were as easy as re-finding this just was! :)

Koenig's boyfriend arrived to pick up Koenig sometime later, but she was gone, he said. The next morning, a barista opening the stand found the door locked as usual, but the security alarm was not set and the cash for making change was nowhere to be found.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/02/11/2312949/hundreds-gather-in-vigil-for-missing.html#storylink=cpy

Something is off about this whole story. Glad I'm not the only one that senses it.

I guess "what he does" on the tape is crucial to any court case, more than "who does it" since they are so insistent there is no way to recognize him. But I still do not understand worrying about jury selection when there is a missing, kidnapped young woman. It just sounds so backwards.

This idea that they withheld the tape because it would taint the jury pool is just ridiculous. Anchorage is the largest city in the state. The jury pool is plenty large. And there are always tons of people cycling in and out of the city such that six months or a year from now it would be quite easy to find people who didn't live here when this whole thing happened and thus never saw the tape on the news.

They clearly have different reasons for not releasing the tape. My thinking is that since nobody has seen the tape, persons not involved with the crime know very few details about it. If LE interviews people and those people know details that can be corroborated by the tape, then the police know that they were really there at the scene. This could help them tell whether witnesses are telling the truth, whether a person confessing to the crime really did it, or maybe they think they can trick someone in to saying something that only a person who was at the scene (i.e., the perpetrator) would know.

But there could be plenty of other reasons.

The job of LE is defined as to "protect and serve" the community, as I understand it...not worry in advance about prosecution details. How are they serving Samantha or her family at this time? Maybe they have the best intentions, but giving the reason they did for not showing the tape is just plain foolish, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoly1966