Identified! AL - Bibb Co, WhtMal UP13483, 14-17, MVA/hitchhiker, tattoo: RY + LOVE Mar'61 - Daniel Armantrout

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if isotopes can be done on him. He was found in Alabama and had cigarettes with South Carolina stamps indicating he was hitchhiking through the South East.

His young age always got to me. The driver who picked him up hitchhiking recalls that he said he ran away from home after his parents split up. It is possible one of his parents reported him missing, but the case could have fell through the cracks for whatever reason. Especially in those times he could have been written off as a voluntary runaway. This got me to thinking about my uncle's experiences growing up in the 60's. My grandmother remarried in the early 60's and my grandfather's (mother's step-father) son from a previous marriage got kicked out at 16 or 17 years old for knocking his young step-brother to the ground. My grandmother found out about it and threw all of his belongings in the front yard and that was it. His father stood by my grandmother when he heard what happened. It was a different time and the family dynamic was more strict. My other uncle, my grandmother's oldest was kicked out at 17 or 18 in the late 60's for yanking the phone off the wall in anger. He had been going through some stuff after witnessing a traumatic event during his childhood and I'm also suspecting he was dealing with abandonment from his birth father who he hadn't seen since the early 60's. It just makes me wonder that if either of my uncle's had gone missing after getting kicked out would they have been reported missing or would my grandparents just assume they cut out all contact because they were mad about being kicked out.

I wonder if isotopes can be done on him. He was found in Alabama and had cigarettes with South Carolina stamps indicating he was hitchhiking through the South East.

His young age always got to me. The driver who picked him up hitchhiking recalls that he said he ran away from home after his parents split up. It is possible one of his parents reported him missing, but the case could have fell through the cracks for whatever reason. Especially in those times he could have been written off as a voluntary runaway. This got me to thinking about my uncle's experiences growing up in the 60's. My grandmother remarried in the early 60's and my grandfather's (mother's step-father) son from a previous marriage got kicked out at 16 or 17 years old for knocking his young step-brother to the ground. My grandmother found out about it and threw all of his belongings in the front yard and that was it. His father stood by my grandmother when he heard what happened. It was a different time and the family dynamic was more strict. My other uncle, my grandmother's oldest was kicked out at 17 or 18 in the late 60's for yanking the phone off the wall in anger. He had been going through some stuff after witnessing a traumatic event during his childhood and I'm also suspecting he was dealing with abandonment from his birth father who he hadn't seen since the early 60's. It just makes me wonder that if either of my uncle's had gone missing after getting kicked out would they have been reported missing or would my grandparents just assume they cut out all contact because they were mad about being kicked out.

OT:
My husband was kicked out at 16, I'm fairly certain his mother didn't report him missing even though they didn't speak for years. This was in the mid 80s.

OT:
My husband was kicked out at 16, I'm fairly certain his mother didn't report him missing even though they didn't speak for years. This was in the mid 80s.

It was pretty common in the 70s and 80s. Probably still is for that matter. :(

I knew a guy who got kicked out for being gay. His family had a funeral for him and he's listed as deceased in family obituaries.

Possible that he ran away from Dozier Reform School in Marianna FL..Doubtful they would have reported it. There are records of boys at the facility but privacy laws prevent records from 1960 up from being shared

Classito

Ya know, that could very well be a possibility and didn't think of that. I am very familiar of the Dozier story and am good friends with Roger Dean Kiser, who was a student there in the 60's. Maybe I should ask him about this.

Someone created a reconstruction of the victim, likely using the PM photograph from the aforementioned articles in this forum. It gives off a more 'anime' vibe, however its not necessarily a bad reconstruction. I know the University of South Florida Forensic artists have been experimenting with similar style reconstructions lately. This will be the photo I use for his episode of "True Cold Case Files" on Saturday!

Attachments

• BibbJD.jpg
    BibbJD.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 42
Someone created a reconstruction of the victim, likely using the PM photograph from the aforementioned articles in this forum. It gives off a more 'anime' vibe, however its not necessarily a bad reconstruction. I know the University of South Florida Forensic artists have been experimenting with similar style reconstructions lately. This will be the photo I use for his episode of "True Cold Case Files" on Saturday!

Just found out the artist is known as AuntElisa from DeviantART. Nice stuff!

I came across this unfortunately there is no photo but its from January 1960 a missing Boy from Sarasota Florida named Ronald and I think its Ronald Pistol Sales is his name .. the height is off by 2 inches and he was 18 but everything sort of lines up.. Just wish there was a photo of the kid.. I just thought I would share it here

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_3,_NO_11,_JANUARY_1960.pdf

View attachment 116135

Has anyone been able to find any info on this Ronald Sales that I came across? I have not.

Ya know, that could very well be a possibility and didn't think of that. I am very familiar of the Dozier story and am good friends with Roger Dean Kiser, who was a student there in the 60's. Maybe I should ask him about this.

There was also a place called The Sherriffs Boys Ranch in Live Oak Florida which sits right between Tallahassee and Jacksonville. He could of also come from there and just never reported missing from that facility.

Below is a link to their magazine and this issue tells you a lot of in formation and has photos Of the Ranch and the boys.

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_13,_NO_1,_MARCH_1969.pdf

I was Just now going through some back issues and I came across this kid Robert J Landsdale published in the magazine and he went missing January 4 1961. I don't know if he ever was found but I just thought I would post him since his first name starts w a R and he was missing not long before this UID was found.
Anyway Iam posting the link as well as the ad w his photo below.

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_4,_NO_12,_FEBRUARY_1961.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_2924.PNG
    IMG_2924.PNG
    810.5 KB · Views: 61
this kid was published in the april 1961 issue but went missing on MARCH 5 1961.. and I came across another article that apparently he was still missing and implies that he might have run away.. this boy to me looks like the UID and says his hair is brown and eyes are blue. his height is just a little off but iam going to post him anyway. his name does not start with a R though.

https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/star/THE_SHERIFFS_STAR_VOL_5,_NO_2,_APRIL_1961.pdf

I am also posting the article.
POST TIME: The Norleys, Part II: A brave stand and a tragic vanishing

David Norley is the boy on the right

this looks like it could be a younger photo of him

Attachments

• IMG_2926.PNG
    IMG_2926.PNG
    809.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I can't be sure, but someone with the same name and age as the second boy (FB) shows up in a newspaper marriage record in Tampa (the city the missing boy was from) in 1977. I can't find anything else about him, though.

RJL, the first boy, is interesting. An article I found says that he was the subject of a 13 state alert--he left home with $90 he had stolen from his brother's wallet, and was believed to be heading to Daytona, where a friend of his had recently moved. He was still missing as of March, and had not been found at his friend's home. However, he shows up the next year back in New Jersey, charged with driving an unregistered vehicle and use of plates issued to another car, and again in 1968, with a public engagement announcement. In the first case, his address is the same as the missing notices, and in the second, his parents and high school match up, so it's the same person.

I can't be sure, but someone with the same name and age as the second boy (FB) shows up in a newspaper marriage record in Tampa (the city the missing boy was from) in 1977. I can't find anything else about him, though.

RJL, the first boy, is interesting. An article I found says that he was the subject of a 13 state alert--he left home with $90 he had stolen from his brother's wallet, and was believed to be heading to Daytona, where a friend of his had recently moved. He was still missing as of March, and had not been found at his friend's home. However, he shows up the next year back in New Jersey, charged with driving an unregistered vehicle and use of plates issued to another car, and again in 1968, with a public engagement announcement. In the first case, his address is the same as the missing notices, and in the second, his parents and high school match up, so it's the same person.

oh wow NancyDrew great job at finding him!..you rock!! so I guess we can cross him off the list.
I don't know about the original kid Ronald S(no photo).. Nor have I found anything on Freddie B.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missinginfo541
Back